Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Tan- What's The Deal?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

T to try and draw some tenuous link between the presence of some yellow in two completely different colours

Why can't there be yellow in two completely different colours?

To get very basic. Green and orange, two very different colours - both contain yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Girls like fake tan because it makes them look more exotic but when you have a dirty looking beast with dark stained lines running over their chin and on their wrists its not a great look. But when a guys had a few drinks those lines are invisible and especially in a darkly lit club

When guys have a few drinks, the last thing on their mind is weather on not the chick is wearing fake tan. It doesn't even come into the equation. Hell, most dude's wouldn't even care if she had all her own teeth at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sheplar

I think it's kind of a signal that they're up for the ride. Like peacocks. They don't plaster themselves with it to hang round with their mates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think women should all stop wearing make up tan fashionable clothes and doing their hair, leave it up to the men to groom and do themselves up. like nature intended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

That's really just waffle. After-the-fact pseudoscience to try and draw some tenuous link between the presence of some yellow in two completely different colours and then completely fudges its own tenuous link by throwing brown (show me a brown olive) and black(!) into the mix.

i did art too - like poor c - so understood what she meant but i tried to find another way to explain it for other non arty people. that article made sense to me - all colours come from the basic red, blue, yellow and are mixed and mixed to create different colours. when i did life painting we worked solely with those colours to create the flesh tones - different types of flesh tone too.

as for olive - they come in so many varying shades and basically theyre yellowy green based. so does the olive complexion come in varying shades

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bessiemae

There's pale and interesting and then there is purple and blotchy. Some women look beautiful pale and some women look like they just rose from the dead. The odd time going out I would put on fake tan, just enough to take away that transparent purple look. Fake tan applied right shouldn't even be noticeable but alot of women plaster it on and never seem to wash their hands after, so they end up looking like one of the characters from Jersy Shore.
    I mean you could ask the same questions about anything, what's the deal with make-up, whats the deal with waxing.... it's all about making yourself look better or thinking you are making yourself look better. And if that gives people confidence leave them to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why can't there be yellow in two completely different colours?

To get very basic. Green and orange, two very different colours - both contain yellow.

Fine, nobody is arguing that green and orange don't contain yellow. I made the exact same point using purple a little earlier, but you don't seem to have addressed the conclusion I made from that.

So are you suggesting that it would be logical to refer to a ginger person as apple-haired? Because that's the level of abstraction you've brought it down to.
    Aishae wrote:
    i did art too - like poor c - so understood what she meant but i tried to find another way to explain it for other non arty people. that article made sense to me - all colours come from the basic red, blue, yellow and are mixed and mixed to create different colours. when i did life painting we worked solely with those colours to create the flesh tones - different types of flesh tone too.

as for olive - they come in so many varying shades and basically theyre yellowy green based. so does the olive complexion come in varying shades

You're just doing the waffling thing again. What your argument boils down to is that X comes in a range of colours and Y comes in a range of colours so it's logical to equate X to Y. It's not. Show me a photo of an olive and a photo of an olive-skinned person where the colours look even remotely similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i did a quick google image of 'olive skin' - there seemed to be a lot of skin colours i wouldnt call olive there so it seems people have different ideas as to what olive toned is. and thats the key word too: toned. not exact.

anyroad it doesnt matter - unless you apply it right and have the right base skin tone to match the tanning stuff you cant be a fake tanned olive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had a friend round to my apartment once and she actually left brown hand prints on the doors from her shitty fake tan. I have worn it before, twice, but it's not my cup of tea. Just think it's silly and pointless.

Fine, nobody is arguing that green and orange don't contain yellow. I made the exact same point using purple a little earlier, but you don't seem to have addressed the conclusion I made from that.

So are you suggesting that it would be logical to refer to a ginger person as apple-haired? Because that's the level of abstraction you've brought it down to.

You're just doing the waffling thing again. What your argument boils down to is that X comes in a range of colours and Y comes in a range of colours so it's logical to equate X to Y. It's not. Show me a photo of an olive and a photo of an olive-skinned person where the colours look even remotely similar.

I never thought I'd be the one to call you picky :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Seeing girls with fake tan leaves me very despondent. It beats me why anyone would put that ****e on their legs, arms, etc... but then again, if the cosmetics companies can profit from people's retardness, fair play to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

*Backs away*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    I never thought I'd be the one to call you picky :pac:

Picky? Like the crowd in the Emperor's New Clothes :P

Advertisement