Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricted ECU: Need to prove it now.

• 14-02-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I want to get a cert to prove my restricted ECU 'is' actually restricted to 33bhp.
    How can I prove this ? Do I need to get a dyno run ? If so, where does this ?
    The cert that came with the restrictor is from the previous owner and bike (ie, not mine, I bought the ECU from a forum member).

Soo, although I will legally be complying with the law, how do I prove I am ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pique wrote: »

Which manufacturer? It would have to go to them probably through a dealer/importer to verify.

Not that they would be likely to acquiesce I'd think as generally ECU serial numbers are listed against corresponding frame and engine numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Who do you need to prove it to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Who do you need to prove it to?

Sean Quinn id say...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Was thinking the same. Ask them how exactly they want you to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Just type one up in MS Word and sign it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Just type one up in MS Word and sign it.

The factory restriction I had for me bandit 6 was basically just ms word document haha. Them restrictors lasted a full 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

seanybiker wrote: »
    The factory restriction I had for me bandit 6 was basically just ms word document haha. Them restrictors lasted a full 3 weeks
    Seany, do ya still have your bike ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Seany, do ya still have your bike ?

or licence?

its 6 months prison and 15 years no driving, if you cause an accident while driving both uninsured and without a licence,

You would be done for murder/man slaughter if someone died....

dont be foolish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

eurofoxy wrote: »
    or licence?

its 6 months prison and 15 years no driving, if you cause an accident while driving both uninsured and without a licence,

dont be foolish people

..don't know if that's something to do with seanybiker or what, or are you suggest that riding a bike with a restricted vs unrestricted ECU will invalidate your insurance ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

That bike got robbed on me a few years back. Got the jigsaw 1000 now.

I know it makes insurance void. I didn't crash and kill anyone. Funnily enough. Restricted bikes can crash and possibly kill people. I know it sounds mad but its completely true.

Oh I meant the actual restriction cert I got from Suzuki was basically something thrown together and signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

or licence?

dont be foolish people

sure about that? lad who i know had a friend "borrow" his car while he was drunk and he hit another car, the so called friend got off with a much shorter road ban and no jail

weeder wrote: »
    sure about that? lad who i know had a friend "borrow" his car while he was drunk and he hit another car, the so called friend got off with a much shorter road ban and no jail

probably meant a maximum of x amount of years and fine.

weeder wrote: »

it was true in the past that only a silly fine was handed out, but times have changed, and the road safety campaigners have now seen to it that if you willfully flout the law you will get prison time. simple as that.

I have heard this first hand from motorcycle guardai who have helped me in the past, they say its a long time coming and very shortly there will be a landmark case in the courts where a drunk idiot is going to get life in prison for being well over the limit and killing some people.

they did tell me that fortunately these idiots seem to kill themselves in these accidents too so there has yet to be such a big case about it.

and as per the comment above, yes if you have a restricted licence and drive an unrestricted bike you are driving uninsured and unlicenced. you may as well not have gone to the effort of getting insurance as if it comes to an accident you will get nothing even if its not your fault you still wont get a cent and if you are injured its you that willl have to foot the bill for that, you can even be sued by the person that hit you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

WTF are you talking about eurofoxy??

Noone is talking about riding an un-restricted bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thats a horrible amount of misinformation. Where to start.
    it was true in the past that only a silly fine was handed out, but times have changed, and the road safety campaigners have now seen to it that if you willfully flout the law you will get prison time. simple as that.

Irish law is based on precedent. So if silly fines were handed out in the past, they will continue to be handed out or will lose immediately in the appeals court costing the taxpayer more.
    I have heard this first hand from motorcycle guardai who have helped me in the past, they say its a long time coming and very shortly there will be a landmark case in the courts where a drunk idiot is going to get life in prison for being well over the limit and killing some people.

Precedent. Even if it goes through it will fail on appeal because drunks who mass murdered got five years off the road and a fine.
    they did tell me that fortunately these idiots seem to kill themselves in these accidents too so there has yet to be such a big case about it.

Bull again. Drunks have a much higher chance of not being injured because they don't tense when in a accident. But even at that, it sounds like figures thrown about without any real meaning.
    and as per the comment above, yes if you have a restricted licence and drive an unrestricted bike you are driving uninsured and unlicenced. you may as well not have gone to the effort of getting insurance as if it comes to an accident you will get nothing even if its not your fault you still wont get a cent and if you are injured its you that willl have to foot the bill for that, you can even be sued by the person that hit you.

You are licensed and insured. The insurance company can go after you for the damages if they choose to try prove the lack of restriction in court. You would have to go after them for comprehensive claims and prove the restriction in court. Any crash not your fault, the other party pays no qualms. The other party not insured, MIBI pays out for personal injury claims regardless of license status. That is a separate issue for the gardai and courts to decide on. You can't be sued for a crash somebody else's fault regardless of license status.

seanybiker wrote: »

this is the bull i am talking about.... it dangerous information, if you hand this to an insurance company without having restricted the bike that is simply lieing which will null the insurance, also its driving a vechicle without a licence.

the info before came straight from a cop who was giving a riding course who is based in dublin, i am sure there are plenty here who have done the course and are sensible riders.
    As he said they are waiting for a landmark case to happen which in his opinion is very soon after that all the drunk idiots are going to prison.

AS for drunk drivers tensing, u kidding me, just cause u tense up before impact does not mean the tree or ditch coming at you at a silly speed wont kill you, maybe the figures for drunk drivers are low as its not released that young seanie "lost control" rather than he was drunk off his head when he hit the tree.Which sounds better for the family.

The last one is my opinion the rest is the same story told to me on the riders course like it or not things change.

Landmark case, ignoring the law yeah.

Drink Driving & The Law

Tougher penalties for drink driving offences were introduced in March 2007. The changes include;

• The disqualification periods for drink driving offences ranges from 1 to 6 years depending on the level of alcohol detected, and whether it is a first or subsequent offence. This compares with the previous range of 3 months to 4 years.

• The offence of refusing to provide a sample of blood, urine or breath for evidential purposes now attracts an automatic disqualification of 4 years for a first offence and 6 years for a second or subsequent offence. Previously it was 2 and 4 years respectively.

The whole process for applying to have a licence restored following a disqualification has also been changed

• Only those who have not been disqualified in the preceding 10 years can apply for a reduction in their disqualification period. Furthermore, only those who have been disqualified for 2 years or more will be allowed to apply for the removal of a disqualification. Those with shorter disqualifications will have to serve them in full.

How is it bull? I got an official cert from Suzuki that was basically something thrown together on a pc in 2 minutes. That Mr moral is a fact.
    I had me full license by then anyways.

You can also go **** off talking about me crashing into some tree and dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Just 'cos you're attitude is annoying me, here is a landmark case from the recent past. Nice severe punishment handed out!

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Just 'cos you're attitude is annoying me, here is a landmark case from the recent past. Nice severe punishment handed out!
    jaysus that's bad.

These supercops must be filling him with ****e. Me brother is a bike cop and he never got instructions to wait around for a biker to kill someone so he can make an example of him.

RosieJoe wrote: »

Precedent. And a huge part of what is wrong with the legal system here. And any huge jail sentences you hear about don't make it past appeals. At least the judge in that case was being realistic and handing out about the best sentence he could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

or licence?

dont be foolish people

What rubbish. A washer in the carbs absolves you from murder now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Can someone tell me what a landmark drink driving case has to do with motorcycle restriction?

OP their should be a serial no on the ECU give it to your insurance company and tell them to check with the manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

THIS THREAD HAS GONE WAY OF TOPIC.

THE OP WAS LOOKING FOR A BIT OF ADVICE, NOT A RANT ABOUT DRUNK DRIVING OR ANY OF THE OTHER TOPICS THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP.

THE NEXT PERSON WHO POSTS OFF TOPIC ON THIS THREAD WILL GET A VACATION FROM THE MOTORBIKE FORUM.

Pique wrote: »
    Hi All,

I want to get a cert to prove my restricted ECU 'is' actually restricted to 33bhp.
    How can I prove this ? Do I need to get a dyno run ? If so, where does this ?
    The cert that came with the restrictor is from the previous owner and bike (ie, not mine, I bought the ECU from a forum member).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What kind of Bike is it? Is it an aftermarket ECU or is it manufacture specific?

Say your bike is a Suzuki and the ECU is a genuine Suzuki part, you might be able to get on to Priory Suzuki to see if they can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Normally a factory restricted bike is known by the frame number. Give this to the insurance company and they can look it up. What the company is doing is asking you to prove that a car has a standard engine in it which is unusal. aftermarket restrictors are a different situation but these are becoming less common as FI is being used more on bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

@Pigeon Reaper. The bike isn't factory restricted. As I said in the OP, I have fitted an ECU (which is restricted) to my bike (which wasn't).
    Giving them the chassis/frame number would only land me in it as they'd be sure I was lying, as the bike isn't restricted, according to Suzuki.

@RosieJoe, thanks. It is a Suzuki. I'll give Priory a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Aftermarket ECU are a bit of a minefield with restriction compliance. You could try dynoing the bike and giving the printout to the insurance or maybe signing a declaration infront of a commissioner of oaths. Best thing to do is call the company and find out what they would accept as proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

just show them the receipt for "Item 1 - rerstricted ECU"

Advertisement