Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricted ECU: Need to prove it now.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Was thinking the same. Ask them how exactly they want you to prove it.

There's no point in us telling the OP anything. They need to get back onto the insurance company and ask what they will except as proof the bike is restricted, anything we say is pure speculation and may end up costing the OP money they don't need to spend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Just get them serial / part number from the ECU and get a letter from a Suzuki dealer stating that it's a restricted ECU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm assuming you know that you won't in all likelihood get cheaper FR insurance, just that you will be legally compliant with your license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Idleater wrote: »
    I'm assuming you know that you won't in all likelihood get cheaper FR insurance, just that you will be legally compliant with your license.
    Yeah mate, I know that.

Anyway, rang Quinn who told me that regardless of whether or not the bike is restricted, I will not be insured until I fax/post them a letter from a garage 'proving' it ! What a jip !

It's a frickin ECU ffs. I can just get every SV650 in the county 'certified' as restricted by swapping the ECU among them.

Surely the only issue should be that when I take it out then it should be restricted. Hell, even if it's restricted if I get stopped or have a claim then the law is complied with.

Anyhoo, rant over.

Next question: Motoworld or not ? Heard never to leave my bike into them to have any work done on it (and was in there one day and heard them bouncing a bike off the limiter out the back too. Hope it wasn't a customers bike, but reckon it was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It looks like Quinn are making sure that they are covered in case you mess up, by having a letter on record that your bike is restricted. Guess what will be the first thing their assessor checks it you make any claim?
    Best thing now is to ring all your local bike shops and see how much they'll charge. That's if any are willing to do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Igster61

Could Pique give an update on how he got on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Pique wrote: »
    It's a frickin ECU ffs. I can just get every SV650 in the county 'certified' as restricted by swapping the ECU among them.

Could you not just send them a letter, saying this bike with frame number blah, is now restricted with ECU number (if there's one), as installed by yourself, and sign it yourself. If Quinn is trying to save their bases, this is probably all they need - that you take the liability that the correct restriction is in place. I don't see why they would look to get the same from a 'garage', unless they are looking to hold the 'garage' responsible for anything with garage's own insurance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

How did you get on with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Sorry for the delay in replying.
    I insured myself with Quinn on t'internet and got the ecu fitted by a local bike shop who agreed to provide me with a letter certifying that they had done so.
    I got a call from Quinn a few days later...not about the cert, but because I forgot to post back the direct debit mandate. Nothing was said about any restriction cert!!

So go ahead and book online, in my opinion, but be ready to provide a verification of restriction as they may come looking.
    Besides, if something happens, and you're hurt, they will inspect the bike and if no restriction is found, then your insurance is void.
    Not worth the risk.
    My SV is still fast enough to break all legal limits in Ireland And any more power while learning is a tad much methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Without wanting to cause any inter website bashing if you have a restricted bike and no cert, the guy chopper from biker.ie will issuse you a cert for a small fee once he can inspect your bike to verify you have one installed. He also sells on second hand restrictors from lads who don't need them anymore. Good gesture especially to help the new guys out..

• Advertisement
Advertisement