Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Walllights

Options
  • 14-02-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Quick bit of advice please. :D
    I have wall lighting fixtures already in my house (covered with the grey plastic box). Im going to fit some wall lights. The wiring looks simple enough. My question is when I turn off power to the house do I need to give some time before touching the wires in the wall? Like allow for the charge to dissipate? or is there any special equipment i need?
    *just double checking thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

You don't need to wait. Just make sure to turn off the mcb in the fuse box as opposed to just turning off the light switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

cool thanks. and the wires will be fine to handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Yes but make sure you have the MCB turned off. And the correct MCB at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

grand thanks all. i know which is the one to turn off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

before you get carried away:eek:-you're supposed to 'prove' the circuit is dead before working on it

basically you check your tester works- and then you check the supply is dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

M cebee wrote: »
    before you get carried away:eek:-you're supposed to 'prove' the circuit is dead before working on it

God be with the days we'd short them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Intel/Fab 24 and the electrician springs to mind here.

nasty accident that was.:eek:

thank god he survived and recovered over time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i don't always practise 'safe isolation' meself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddy147 wrote: »

hi paddy
    what happened?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »

Which accident was that? I remember one in 14 i think it was, a fella working on a panel and took out the perspex screen, and accidently hit the steel ratchet across the live bus bars, the panel looked like a bomb went off. Thats where higher rated breakers or fused circuits are especially dangerous, when shorted out like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i don't always practise 'safe isolation' meself:)

No, i added in a couple of extra sockets during the week in the parents house without isolating at all:eek:

Advertisement