Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Much Respect from Candidates for the law

Options
  • 14-02-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought election posters were not allowed to be posted on overhead bridges - there as bold as you like is Crowe and others with their posters on overhead bridges - would they be available for interview if one of these posters happened to fall down on a car on the motorway, blocking the motorists view - surely a danger. Will they be fined or are they above the law.

(to be fair, there was about five other posters also, but I only had a chance to view Crow's one).

Also, did anyone notice brolachain having large posters up BEFORE the election was called, at the spanish arch.

not a good omen for trusting these guys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

City Council 091-536400
    complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to this:
    General election posters and signs

The law in Ireland forbids the erection of posters/signs on poles or other structures in public places unless you have the written permission of the owner of the pole or other structure in advance of putting up the posters/signs. Posters are only allowed to be erected for a certain specified time period before an election. Posters can be erected 30 days before the election or from the date of the polling day order for the election, whichever is the shorter period of time.
    Following a general election, a party/candidate must remove posters within a seven day period. After that date, an on-the-spot fine of €150 is issued by your local authority in respect of each offence. Your local authority will remove the poster as the fine is issued. If a party/candidate has been issued with a fine and refuses to pay, they can be prosecuted in the District Court by your local authority to enforce payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Also, did anyone notice brolachain having large posters up BEFORE the election was called, at the spanish arch.

IIRC, Ó Brollcháin's poster was to advertise his election launch. A loophole, but certainly not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think it's illegal per se but subject to council environmental by-laws around the country. GCC would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dublin lamppost posters are much better because of this

Current and ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

thanks for clarifying lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Advertisement