Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeah, I'm talkin to you, Class Reps.

• 14-02-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm doing a video project on class Reps and the elections that preceed them. In a hope to de-mystify the process and remove some of the perceptions that only *certain* people go for them. It's gonna be a snappy 4-5minute piece aimed at encouraging engagement with the process, and I would love to hear from peeps from any course, that have done it and anyone currently a Rep to widen my current interview base...of mostly my mates.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ask them why they need a piss up for a training weekend and why their priorities are a million and one "class parties" in the same 3 or 4 clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Ask them why they need a piss up for a training weekend and why their priorities are a million and one "class parties" in the same 3 or 4 clubs.

You sound fun :rolleyes:

It annoys me because they use SU funds which could be put into the health centre or a million other things. Instead they send them off to get hammered.

And there are a million places in Dublin which are better than the likes of D2, Diceys and Buck whaleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

LUPE wrote: »
    You sound fun :rolleyes:

Yeah it is so boring to think that an "enormous waste of money on people having a píss up at your expense whilst calling it training" is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If ever one needed a method to group all the pretentious D4's of UCD in one place you sir are on the right track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If ever one needed a method to group all the pretentious D4's of UCD in one place you sir are on the right track.

BS. I'm not a class rep but I do know a fair few them and they're not pretentious at all. They made the effort to actually get involved and fair play to them. They do a lot more than some people on this forum who just seem to want to criticise EVERYTHING.

Yeah it is so boring to think that an "enormous waste of money on people having a píss up at your expense whilst calling it training" is annoying.

Why the quotation marks? Nobody said that... :confused:

And yeah, lighten up. Class Reps do have an important role and for the most part do a good job. Okay so every single cent may not be put to its best possible use, but... get over it.

Having a chip on you shoulder about it won't help anything, except it might get you thanked by all the other bitter ones on boards.
    :)

A good job doing what exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

And yeah, lighten up. Class Reps do have an important role and for the most part do a good job. Okay so every single cent may not be put to its best possible use, but... get over it.

Having a chip on you shoulder about it won't help anything, except it might get you thanked by all the other bitter ones on boards.

And which class rep are you?

I gave quotation marks as the sentence made more sense with them, otherwise it looked like a random collection of words.

Why should I lighten up? I could still be working at the Student Desk were funds in UCD apportioned differently.

It is a small minority that actually get any benefit from class rep activities. In 3 years of my degree, there was not one class invite to a party. Yet we had a class rep who has since ran for various elections and is involved deeply in the SU. Instead we organized our own nights out, the same way people would if class rep training and the other wastes of money did not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Okay so every single cent may not be put to its best possible use, but... get over it.

Just get over it yeah? Sounds like the thing to do yeah.

Having been in college or worked in UCD for the past 6 years I think that this kind of mentality is exactly the problem with the place.

Why should a single cent not be put to the best possible use? Students are completely right to complain if, even a cent, of the money they pay is being wasted. Obviously various types of fees need to be paid, and I personally believe that people should pay for their third level education, but when it has been highlighted that the class rep training trips cost a serious amount of money then why should people just get over it? Im not saying that class reps do not have play a part in helping students in certain situations but if its up to those same students to pick up their drinking bill then its not on.

To me its not so much money not being put to the best possible use as much as it is a waste of money(the drinking sessions and not the training).

To me its just a mentality along the lines of
    ".......well we may have pissed away a few hundred quid here or there but no worry because we can just up the repeat fees or charge for student cards or hike up the ticket prices to events".

I dont think students can "just get over it" because once they do they will have to be reaching into their pocket once more to cover someone elses balls up.

Has anybody ever explained why class rep training has not always taken place in UCD itself?

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Bloody Unions, utter waste of money. I see young budding Jack O'Connors among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Has anybody ever explained why class rep training has not always taken place in UCD itself?
    Don't be ridiculous, you could never do that. Why that'd be like suggesting that training for Society Auditors, a much bigger and more difficult job, take place on campus.

Oh wait.

Whenever the elections roll around I must ask all the candidates (not that Im expecting more than one) what their position on SU funding for piss ups is.

Raphael wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous, you could never do that. Why that'd be like suggesting that training for Society Auditors, a much bigger and more difficult job, take place on campus.

Oh wait.

That was pretty much where my rhetorical question was going! I just find it ridiculous that any money at all has ever been spent on nonsense class rep training trips when there are so many areas it would be better spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

That was pretty much where my rhetorical question was going! I just find it ridiculous that any money at all has ever been spent on nonsense class rep training trips when there are so many areas it would be better spent.

They get a weekend piss up away, we get a 9 hour long lecture series interspersed with a fight for not quite enough cocktail food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FiendishFriend

I asked a sabbat once why they couldn't have rep training on campus and he told me that it was because people bonded and got to know each other better when they went away and so council and the union work better and also because a lot of people wouldn't turn up to training otherwise. I thought it was a complete bull**** excuse because firstly because if people can't be arsed to turn up for the training unless its a trip away then they simply have the wrong mentality for being a rep and thus shouldn't be reps and also its not necessary for people to bond, they don't need to be friends for it to be an effective council. Total waste of money !!!

That explanation is BS alright. I was given a similar answer once and I just said "why can't you train here and then go out in the student bar afterwards?" Seemingly you can't bond there either. Anyway, bonding has nothing to do with being in the SU or being a class rep. Their bonding is actually part of the problem as it builds the mentality that the SU is a clique.

• Advertisement
Advertisement