Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade parts

• 14-02-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Gonna be fixing up the insides of my cabinet, but was wondering what buttons/joysticks to go with.

I've got a HRAP3 and I kind of like the joystick and buttons on that (sanwa stick/Happ buttons), but don't know if they would match the cabinet I've got (I'd like to make it look like it's in the original state it was in when it was built, as opposed to some kind of Frankensteins monster).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think when it comes to stick and buttons, just go with your own personal preference. Afterall, you're going to be laying into it, so best to be comfortable. Don't want to get RSI :D

As long as they're not glowing or horrible multi colours that don't match it should look good.

Personally I always rather the look of Japanese ball top sticks..they're just classier than those bat things.

Did it have ball tops or bats originally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Well, that's the problem, I don't know exactly what it looked like originally.

This is the joystick/button layout at the minute (complete with cigarette burns and all! Not mine of course, don't smoke).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Hygro wrote: »
    Well, that's the problem, I don't know exactly what it looked like originally.

This is the joystick/button layout at the minute (complete with cigarette burns and all! Not mine of course, don't smoke).

Thats oldskool looking. Your setup is ideal for fighting games with the angle of the buttons makes it good for Street Fighter but when playing other games I have noticed in the past that the configuration doesn't always work out whereas a more traditional straight across button setup would work better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That current setup looks really nice. I know what you mean about wanting to keep it as is visually.

Do the stick and buttons need to be replaced? Are they really worn out? If not then you really don't need to do anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I agree, that looks nice and original to me. Unless something is not working properly then I'd leave it as is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best place to get quality sticks and buttons and postage isn't too bad:

http://www.akihabarashop.jp/

Definitely get some sanwa buttons, they are really sensitive. As for the stick it's personal preference. If you are playing fighting games then the sanwa of seimetsu is the only thing to go for. Sanwa are a little looser while seimetsu are stiffer. I prefer the Seimetsu. For shoot'em ups though I think the semetsu is the only way to go, it's amazing for these games especially bullet hells.

Buttons are a bit gammy. Some stick, some seem okay. The sticks themselves are a bit loose. The left one doesn't return to centre even (you can kinda see it leaning to the left in the pic).

Cos there's bits and pieces of it good and bad I though it'd be best to get the buttons and sticks brand new, instead of replacing only what's knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The hole for the joysticks is probably 44mm in diameter, if you measure it. The Suzo 500 stick would probably have been meant to fit in that hole originally. That's a great stick, maybe the best stick even.

I have several pictures of cabinets exactly like that one in an old issue of C+VG. I'll try to find the magazine and post the pictures up here.

I'd keep the buttons and just replace the microswitches underneath. I have some new switches to spare if you need some.
    supremearcade02.jpg
    supremearcade01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Those buttons are 28mm iL/Happ buttons.

Japanese buttons are 30mm by Sanwa or Seimitsu, and thus you would have to widen the holes to fit them.

Instead, you can replace the microswitches: Cherry button switch.
    Give the plungers a clean too.

You could alternatively try Korean Crown buttons, these are 28mm also. However, Crown 203A would need new, smaller Quick Disconnects; Crown 203B would need to be soldered onto.

The sticks look like they are Suzo sticks.
    Have a look inside and tell me if they look like Suzo Universal Inductive or Suzo Universal STC.

Suzo Inductive should only need a spring replacement, the rest of the mechanism should last a lifetime IIRC.
    Suzo microswitch could do with new springs & microswitches.

Or you could replace the whole stick -- either new Suzos, Sanwa JLW or any Korean stick (Myoungshin Fanta > CWL303 = Taeyoung Fanta > CWL306 iirc)

Beware that any Japanese joystick (incl. JLW-TM-8 but not JLW-UM-8) will need a longershaft for installation.
    For Korean sticks you need to enlargen the joystick hole to 35mm.

@Retr0gamer: It's spelled Seimitsu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @Retr0gamer: It's spelled Seimitsu.

I bow before the arcade stick master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I just replaced buttons and stick on my KI cab.

photo0049l.jpg

You'll have to stay with happ buttons as Sanwa are 2 inchs wider as Kikki says.You could always file down button holes if you really want sanwa(It won't have to be perfect as buttons will cover holes).

I went with sanwa JLW for stick + shaft extender .The mounting holes are exactly the same as happ/suzo so no need to wreck your cp.
    Buttons are happ competition:they are convex instead of concave and the best alternative to sanwa. Just make sure u don't get crappy microswitches

I remember that when I bought my cabinet my friend bought one too. His had different joysticks, which looked like those suzo ones alright. I much preferred them as they were a lot sturdier.

He sold it though a while back (I don't suppose anyone on this forum bought a cabinet with a Pang 3 pcb in it? :pac:) so I can't check it out unfortunately.

I was hoping to get all my stuff from arcademachines.ie as I'm buying a board off them next week and it'd be handy to use them for everything, but they don't appear to have those sticks.

Had a look underneath the hood, here what I found.

Joystick has cherry written on the switches, which you might just be able to make out

Buttons are really in bad shape (to me anyway), plus there seems to be an odd one out on each side

Grimy!!

Your buttons appear to be a mixture of leaf- and micro-switch activators :D

I'd say splurge & buy a load of new 28mm microswitch buttons in whatever colour(s) you wish.

The joystick appears to be a Coin Control Joystick Microswitch 4/8-way, and not a Suzo as previously surmised.

You COULD replace the Cherry switches, though from what I'm reading (through Google translate) you might as well replace it with the Suzo I linked earlier.
    *edit*
    *this one*

yeah, pretty grimy. I only ever cleaned the outside of the cabinet ... though that's a bit of a lie. I did have to scare off the family of raccoons that were living the cabinet itself :D

Do you think I should just replace the joysticks with a new version of them?

I'll take any advice on board ... in fact, if ya'd just write out the shopping list for me it'd be great since I really don't have a clue as to what I need to get.

Is there a chance that the button wiring itself needed to be replaced even? given the age of the cabinet and condition it is in?

Yeah, go the full hog, all cabinets deserve love!

You want the following: You currently are using concave buttons; I personally would suggest convex (more similar to JP).

As for your wiring, if it was working before then it should be fine afterwards.
    You can always buy a 50x pack of 4.8mm (.187") female spade terminals (and a crimping tool) from eBay for cheap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, go the full hog, all cabinets deserve love!

You want the following: You currently are using concave buttons; I personally would suggest convex (more similar to JP).

As for your wiring, if it was working before then it should be fine afterwards.
    You can always buy a 50x pack of 4.8mm (.187") female spade terminals (and a crimping tool) from eBay for cheap.

If you go the whole hog you may as well get a new harness, maybe even a extended on so you can test boards or a mame pc outside the cab?

Cool, went onto that site and did an order check on the prices and heres what I got. The colours aren't exactly what I want, I just did it as a test.

1x Pushbutton Wrench: 1,85Euro
    12x Pushbutton SL-CV, blue: 27,00Euro
    2x Multi-way Joystick, red: 39,90Euro
    1x 2P Start Button CV: 2,75Euro
    1x 1P Start Button CV: 2,75Euro
    Sub-Total: 74,25Euro
    Shipping to IE : 1.35 kg: 23,80Euro
    Discount payment (2%): -1,96Euro
    inkl. 19 % MwSt.: 15,35Euro
    Total: 96,09Euro

Now if I only had the skill to put all this stuff into the cabinet I'd be set!! :D

The main bother of the installation is wiring.

Buttons you just plug in, then fasten with the wrench & plastic nuts.

Stick will, at most, require an Allen (hex) key to remove the top bolts, and MAYBE 4 new holes to be drilled in the wood.

If you need help though, just ask.
    (I'd offer to come down & install, but I don't know anything about JAMMA nor do I have a car)

Cheers for the offer anyways. I could probably manage putting the actual joysticks and buttons on the front panel, but it's the wiring part I'd need the help with. Being that it's a JAMMA cabinet I guess you'd only be able to do the fitting part itself (as opposed to the wiring).

I do have a car though, so I could've given ya a lift :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Thejackson

Hey I have some cherry Microswitch you can have cheap.All new 25 offf them pvt me for price.

Advertisement