Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

Down by 3.

No score for 15mins.... In a hurling game...where they led at HT.

None of them would win an argument in this half.... As bad as anything the minor footballers showed this year.

Another terrible wide from an easy position... Kk win the puck out and a free to retake the lead.

Ffs.

The goal certainly seemed to level the game out again at least though KK seem to have standout player on the pitch... Number 8.

Be a disaster if they lost this as they've been far better.

And I wrote this Galway take another bad shooting decision and the KK number 8 went down and scored.

And its two before I even finish... Probably over now.

Ah ffs... They get level, puck out goes through every one to a KK forward who scores from a hard angle.

Destined to lose this, making them look better than they are.

Th customary one minute rubbish when there was at least two minutes of injuries.

Monaghan with a bit of magic and the minute over(very little was in play though) wiggles free from massive pressure to squeeze one over off the post.

Deserved draw, should have been 5 odd up at HT and there were just too many errors in the opening 15 mins of the second half for what was an important game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Great scenes that, fair play to them. KK deserved that, making a sub in the one minute of added time to try and waste time. Serves them right

Two more mistakes for the two KK scores.

Missed ball from a defender and a harsh overcarry under no pressure and they follow it up with two earned points and that's probably the game.... Mountain to climb already and if KK get the next one or two they're out of sight.

Another before even posting.... Terrible.
    5 in 4 mins.

Chance for a goal and he fumbles under little pressure, ball the other end... 6 points.

Getting embarrassing now.

Comical... Ref appears to give a square ball under the old ruling.

Then he doesn't use the advantage for a Galway goal chance.

Where did they get this lad?, seems to be using the old rules :/

Why on earth was that last free (for the big dive) brought in from the sideline? It was won about a foot from the sideline. Unless it was for dissent which is very harsh given the circumstances

Takes an extra special type of gobshiite to boo a minor taking a free, as was the case in Nylands leveling free there in the 19th min of extra time. Hard enough for a crowd of kids playing in front of a big crowd with the vast majority of them against you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why on earth was that last free (for the big dive) brought in from the sideline? It was won about a foot from the sideline. Unless it was for dissent which is very harsh given the circumstances

Takes an extra special type of gobshiite to boo a minor taking a free, as was the case in Nylands leveling free there in the 19th min of extra time. Hard enough for a crowd of kids playing in front of a big crowd with the vast majority of them against you

I imagine it was for dissent after someone pointed out to him it was never a free in the first place. Obviously shouldn't do it but must be very frustrating to get a crazy decision like that given against you right at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Kilkenny goalie very lucky to stay on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Galway have requested reply to be played next Sunday in Croker before other Minor Semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Makes sense. Mayo successfully requested their junior final for Croke Park to double up with the seniors so, unless something else has already been planned, I'd say the request is likely to be granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Happy enough to get a draw in the end. First half we should have been at least a couple more up at the break. We really lost our way at a couple of stages with Kilkenny half back line taking over and maybe they should have put us away but for a few careless wides. To not score for almost 20 minutes usually wouldn't see you survive but to be fair we hung in there. Time was probably up at the end of normal time but Kilkenny made a sub during that minute so I think the extra time was fair enough.

Having seen this team against both Limerick and Kilkenny, Sean Loftus is the one player who really impressed me but defensively as a whole I thought we were solid. No goal conceded against 2 good sides. This is a young Galway team and looks more balanced than in other years where we'd rely on one star man.

One major worry was the ease with which Kilkenny's centre field were able to find space and pick off scores or set them up for others, if we can get a grip in that sector the next day we'll give ourselves a real chance. Evan Niland on the frees has been a bit hit and miss in the last couple of games, he got a few crucial ones in the 2nd half but we need more consistency in that area.

The free at the end to level it was dodgy as were a number of the refs calls but considering we gave Kilkenny a 6 point headstart within 5 minutes of the restart, we showed good character to fight back and I was happy enough to take a draw and get another shot at it.

Next Sunday is the big one. Here's hoping we can deliver the level of performance we need. Waterford today made a number of careless errors similar to what we made against Kilkenny and Cork defensively and were punished. The lapses which weren't fully punished against Cork and Dublin will have to be cut out. We'll have to deliver a performance above and beyond anything we've shown so far. Tactically Cunningham will have to prove to the doubters he can set up a side against the top sides.

Upper Cusack on tickets.ie for anyone interested. Got some near the middle a couple of rows back. Should be plenty of room to move around up there anyway. Much better place to watch a game imo that the corner or the first 10-15 rows of the lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Awful quiet in here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I have been reading the Tip forum but haven't found their weakness yet biggrin.png
    They seem confident however confused.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Upper Cusack on tickets.ie for anyone interested. Got some near the middle a couple of rows back. Should be plenty of room to move around up there anyway. Much better place to watch a game imo that the corner or the first 10-15 rows of the lower

How did you choose your seat, it says it will give best available but I don't like relying on luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

threeball wrote: »
    How did you choose your seat, it says it will give best available but I don't like relying on luck

If you buy them from ticket.ie, they show you the seat numbers before confirming purchase! If your not happy just press edit tickets and keep trying until you get the seats you want!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Awful quiet in here...

quitely confident

Main item on the agenda this weekend is the hurling but also best of luck to the ladies footballers and camogie team too. Season defining games for both of them.

If the ladies footballers can get over Cork it would give them huge confidence for a shot at the All-Ireland. Galway have been there or thereabouts for a few years without threatening to win the All Ireland and played Cork in the league final, both the draw and the replay were good games and could have been won. Hopefully they've learned from those experiences. This team has a good mixture of youth from two successful minor teams and experience and now is the time they will want to make a statement. Of course they are playing a formidable Cork side who have raised the bar considerably over the last decade but you have to beat them at some stage if you want to win it.

Camogie side have had an unbeaten year to date but it counts for nothing on Saturday. Its the real start of the season. The 4 teams in the semi-finals were always likely to make it. Galway beat Wexford relatively comfortably in Wexford over a month ago. Galway are favourites there but Wexford have had the benefit of a match against Dublin in the interim and beat Cork in the group also. You'd expect Galway to win that one though. Kilkenny look the form side in the other semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Same team as the last day

Same team as the last day

Unsurprising though I may have edged for Lally over Tan.
    He can catch a ball and is obviously more mobile, did well when he came on against Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We're hardly likely to see Conor Cooney on the bench are we? Heard little since the weeks before the Cork game.

I'd have gone for Lally also. In a game of this intensity Tannian is a liability as the game wears on. Definitely no more than 50 minutes for him for me. I'm not sure on Conor Whelan for this particular game, considering he is only 18 he had a good game the last day and he will be a quality player for us for years to come. However, 1-1 of his total came after Cork had given up and up to that point he had been mixed in a game we were dominant in. I'd have been more inclined to have him as a trump card off the bench. Physically Tipp will give him a much tougher time than Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'd have gone for Lally also. In a game of this intensity Tannian is a liability as the game wears on. Definitely no more than 50 minutes for him for me. I'm not sure on Conor Whelan for this particular game, considering he is only 18 he had a good game the last day and he will be a quality player for us for years to come. However, 1-1 of his total came after Cork had given up and up to that point he had been mixed in a game we were dominant in. I'd have been more inclined to have him as a trump card off the bench. Physically Tipp will give him a much tougher time than Cork.

By going for the same team again, it increases our options off the bench and means that men coming in are more likely to hit the ground running; e.g. I don't think that Tan would be a great man coming in cold. (Have a feeling anyway that there's one big game in him yet this year). Forward options are actually a bit thinner on the ground now I think; Niall Healy won't turn a game, neither will Joe Cooney, Shane Maloney is too raw, Brehony a bit light. Conor Cooney won't be ready, probably not at all this year.

Think talks of Galway's physicality and aerial dominance is a bit over-stated. Tipp are strong enough in the challenge and in the air also; I expect the game to be decided by who can maximise the amount of damage they can do when in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

We're hardly likely to see Conor Cooney on the bench are we? Heard little since the weeks before the Cork game.

100% no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

I agree with you about Conor Whelan. Jonny Glynn gifted him that goal. He could have kicked it in himself. Too much, too soon i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

If canning starts centre forward I'd put my money on Galway. Let him roam around and pick off points to keep scoreboard ticking over. He'd have free role as paudie maher is too busy sweeping up loose ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

CATwalk wrote:
    If canning starts centre forward I'd put my money on Galway. Let him roam around and pick off points to keep scoreboard ticking over. He'd have free role as paudie maher is too busy sweeping up loose ball.

But Paudie Maher isn't a sweeper. He only found himself in that role against Waterford because they had so few forward.
    If he's on Canning he'll mark Canning. Also if he's free to sweep up loose ball that's a pretty bad thing for Galway right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I would put Glynn on Paudi Maher, Donnellan full forward and try and get canning on Ronan Maher. If the Tipp wing backs switch you'll still have Canning on Bergin which Id prefer to Paudi Maher.

Don't think yell be able to get Mannion on O Brien but Flynn is a good hurler in my opinion and both have big height advantages on those two so if your half forward line is going reasonable you could get at Tipp.

I'd fear for Tannion on Bonner Maher. Kevin Moran was well on top in midfield until Brendan Maher went back there. If on of your lads could get a similar dominance, maybe Smyth and deliver ball into the forwards early when Tipp maybe rusty ye might steal a March that they can't retrieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I would put Glynn on Paudi Maher, Donnellan full forward and try and get canning on Ronan Maher. If the Tipp wing backs switch you'll still have Canning on Bergin which Id prefer to Paudi Maher.

Don't think yell be able to get Mannion on O Brien but Flynn is a good hurler in my opinion and both have big height advantages on those two so if your half forward line is going reasonable you could get at Tipp.

I'd fear for Tannion on Bonner Maher. Kevin Moran was well on top in midfield until Brendan Maher went back there. If on of your lads could get a similar dominance, maybe Smyth and deliver ball into the forwards early when Tipp maybe rusty ye might steal a March that they can't retrieve.

I can see daithi burke following bonner maher, john hansbury picking up seamus callahan and johnny coen picking up bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

But Paudie Maher isn't a sweeper. He only found himself in that role against Waterford because they had so few forward.
    If he's on Canning he'll mark Canning. Also if he's free to sweep up loose ball that's a pretty bad thing for Galway right?

Richie hogan had a field day on him in last years all Ireland, he left him roam free. His man always scores 3-5 points. Same against Limerick this year. I'd prefer canning roaming free than maher hurling loose ball. Galway forwards need to up work rate to curb his influence. Tip would have won all Ireland last year had Richie hogan been marked in first match. Surely canning on his day is equally as good as Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

CATwalk wrote:
    Richie hogan had a field day on him in last years all Ireland, he left him roam free. His man always scores 3-5 points. Same against Limerick this year. I'd prefer canning roaming free than maher hurling loose ball. Galway forwards need to up work rate to curb his influence. Tip would have won all Ireland last year had Richie hogan been marked in first match. Surely canning on his day is equally as good as Richie.

Bit of a difference between Hogan and Glynn in fairness

• Advertisement

Everyone saying this ill be a tight game but I don't think so. The margin will be 6+ points as far as I can see. If Galway are on form they'll win it but if they're not they'll be left behind. Its been the case all year bar the first day v. Dublin. Galways intensity when its brought to any game will destroy any team. Brought it in every match bar the Leinster Final and weren't too far off KK that day just couldnt pick off the points, which I think will be our downfall tomorrow. Optimistic that we have it in us but we'll know after 5-10 minutes what way its going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

T0001 wrote: »
    Everyone saying this ill be a tight game but I don't think so. The margin will be 6+ points as far as I can see. If Galway are on form they'll win it but if they're not they'll be left behind. Its been the case all year bar the first day v. Dublin. Galways intensity when its brought to any game will destroy any team. Brought it in every match bar the Leinster Final and weren't too far off KK that day just couldnt pick off the points, which I think will be our downfall tomorrow. Optimistic that we have it in us but we'll know after 5-10 minutes what way its going.

Couldn't agree with that at all to be honest, a part from the bit about you being optimistic.

Wouldn't be surprised if either team won it, but think Tipp will shade it. Dunno what this next level Galway intensity you're talking about is, because I've never seen it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Couldn't agree with that at all to be honest, a part from the bit about you being optimistic.

Wouldn't be surprised if either team won it, but think Tipp will shade it. Dunno what this next level Galway intensity you're talking about is, because I've never seen it myself.
    Fully agree . Kilkenny beat Galway in third gear got scores so much easier .

Just OMFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Well done Galway. Outstanding performance. It would be an injustice if Tipp won today, Galway were the better team all around and I hope Galway now go on and win All Ireland, your team has being knocking on the door since 2010. I hope this is the year. Best of luck in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bad call.

Good call

Awesome match!

Awesome result!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Great game at last.
    Galway deserved to win. Fantastic will to win shown by the team. Tipp played their part too no shame in losing that match.
    Galway had 5 or 6 outstanding performers, really delighted for Tannion he was a rock in the 2nd half.
    Seemed to me that the constant driving the ball down the middle could do with a bit of variation in the final, excellent ball by Canning for the last point but the young lad still had it all to do. Looking forward to the final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Up the deise ... Cmonn Galway .
    What a game , best game I've seen in ages ... Was shouting for Galway all through and jumped up in delight at the end . No offence to tipp who were great as usual but let's have a different final this year . As a Waterford supporter I'm obviously crestfallen after last week ... I thought the championship was over for me but thanks Galway for stirring the passion again ..... Up the deise and cmon Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Incredible game for a game that wasn't even close apart from on the scoreboard. Galway hurled Tipp off the pitch and only for a total insistence on leaving the middle channel wide open, our full back completely isolated and wide after poor wide and missed goal chances all of which conspired to leave Tipp in a game that they had no right to be in.

Never at any stage was I in doubt that Galway would close the gap after conceding which as a Galway fan is a very unfamiliar feeling. We were absolutely leaps and bounds ahead in hunger, aggression, physicality and were we anywhere near Tipps level of economy we'd have been out of site.
    Unfortunately if we repeat those failings against KK we'll get torn asunder so we much protect our FB line much more effectively but if we get a day the this team clicks I don't see anyone stopping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Up the deise ... Cmonn Galway .
    What a game , best game I've seen in ages ... Was shouting for Galway all through and jumped up in delight at the end . No offence to tipp who were great as usual but let's have a different final this year . As a Waterford supporter I'm obviously crestfallen after last week ... I thought the championship was over for me but thanks Galway for stirring the passion again ..... Up the deise and cmon Galway

I believe Galway can and will beat Kilkenny in the final without too much fuss either .
    If it were Waterford we were facing I think we would lose .

Galway played with freedom today and to my eyes had no strategy you could sit down an plan a counter to . This was the key to your success today ... Galway kept it simple ... Catch it ... Score . Take this to the final .....I think Brian Cody will be concerned about this Galway team . We (Waterford) have been playing to a system this year and its served us well BUT Codys KK are ingenious at countering any system .....respect to them . Galway have a chance if they mix it up and muddy the expected waters . Well done Galway and we'll be rooting for you down here in Waterford .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was sitting near a Galway lad with his Tipp in-laws. He was a quiet lad in contrast to his slightly cocky relations. To see him absolutely roaring like a caveman who killed a tiger at them for Maloney's point was a sight to behold. If that was you take a bow. Galway support was fantastic all round.

The place nearly burst when the final whistle went. Thought David Burke had his best Galway showing ever. Flynn and Mannion really picked up the Canning slack and Whelan showed a coolness on the big day. Glynn mightn't have scored but his defending was super and his passing was great.

Considering the opposition I thought Hanbury did fairly well. Padraig Mannion was unfortunate to start coming on top in fullback just before the end of the first half. Might have been moved otherwise.

Callanan make a quadruple save was something else.

Proudest I've been coming out of Croker. Just showed a serious passion and die-for-the-cause determination that was non-existent in 2013. The new additions are really make a huge difference.

Haha OAP watched the game last week and said to the wife at half time ....."if we win I hope it's tipp ..... We know them but don't know Galway " after today I think I was right ...... Can't wait for the final now ...... What a game it "should be" 🇫🇮🇫🇮🇻🇳🇻🇳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What a game. Best game I've ever been at in any sport. Hopefully we repeat that in the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Brilliant match. The excitement and scoring never let up. The Tipp supporters were in shock. I would have taken the draw but Canning's pass to Moloney was sublime.
    Is Hanbury badly injured and is Canning's hand still not right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement