Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Kyne wwas very poor for 2 of the goals. Was marking no one and just stood like a dummy. Comer and Cummins aside the rest were just bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Robson99 wrote: »
    Kyne wwas very poor for 2 of the goals. Was marking no one and just stood like a dummy. Comer and Cummins aside the rest were just bottlers.

He was too exposed. Couldn't decide whether to attack the man carrying or peel off to the support. Either way he was on a loser. How the defensive system, which was working well, fell apart so spectacularly today is a mystery. The only explanation is that it requires work ethic and we had none today.

threeball wrote: »

He was too exposed. Couldn't decide whether to attack the man carrying or peel off to the support. Either way he was on a loser. How the defensive system, which was working well, fell apart so spectacularly today is a mystery. The only explanation is that it requires work ethic and we had none today.
    Its called reading the game and today he was shown up badly along with the rest of the defenders I might add. Today really just shows how pies poor Connacht teams are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Disappointed. !

Really wanted Conroy to shine and he came to a sad end with the black card. Needed to stop their runners. Cummins and Comer were looking good but neither saw anywhere close to enough ball. Disappointed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Its called reading the game and today he was shown up badly along with the rest of the defenders I might add. Today really just shows how pies poor Connacht teams are

It's in a poor state alright really.

Galway were always going to be run out once they met a top team with a proper platform and organised tactics, because Galway under Walsh have neither. It's just no one expected Tipperary to be that team. But full credit to them for really rising to the big stage.

Galway were completely headless once the game started to go away from them and that's because Walsh really hasn't improved them at all. The players are disjointed and erratic in their form and application. They have no leadership from the line and they can't react to changing circumstances during a game.

Kyne needed to be protected from 5 minutes in and WALSH left him in the biggest game of his life to get roasted. In the end he was just desperately chasing around everywhere trying to have an impact because he is ultimately a committed brave guy. But what he needed was to be protected with players in front of him. A fool could see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

can somebody tell me if their was any change at all positional or sub wise until tipp scored their 3rd goal to go 10 points up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

spurshero wrote: »
    can somebody tell me if their was any change at all positional or sub wise until tipp scored their 3rd goal to go 10 points up?

Nothing of any consequence as far as I could see.

To be fair, the bench is limited but you would imagine that pulling Gary Sice back in front of the full back line would have helped. Even bringing on Finian Hanley would have been something. But the biggest problem was that the entire half back line kept going forward as a unit leaving huge gaps behind them and Conroy and Flynn were always ahead of the ball so Tipp had a clear run through the middle of the pitch once the got possession. Gary O'Donnell played like a centre forward all day. There was 40 yards for the Tipp inside two to run onto and they made hay all day. You can't be that niave in inter county football. Shane Walsh is an unbelievable footballer and I hope he plays at the highest level for Galway for 10 years but you can't play wing forward anymore if you don't do the defensive shift too.

The kick outs were crazy. Its admirable to strive to kick the ball long and win it out the middle but there is a reason why no one does it. Even Dublin, who have the best players in the country don't kick it straight out the middle.

A Connaught title is a great achievement given the gap to the last one. However, there was enough in the league games and today to add weight to the notion that it wasn't a particularly hard championship to win given the weakness Mayo and Roscommon subsequently showed and that Walsh really hasn't improved this bunch at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Most disappointed I've ever been leaving Croke Park and that's saying something. The team looked like one that believed that showing up was enough to win.

I think this is what happened in the Mayo/Galway game. Mayo felt they just needed to show up and Galway got lucky that day. I don't think it has been such a bad year for Galway. You won Connaught and Galway would have taken that at the beginning of the year.

I think this is what happened in the Mayo/Galway game. Mayo felt they just needed to show up and Galway got lucky that day. I don't think it has been such a bad year for Galway. You won Connaught and Galway would have taken that at the beginning of the year.

Don't know if I'd agree with that. Mayo have been poor all year and haven't been tested yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Disappointed at the lame exit from the Championship. Let it be said - It was a lame exit! Didn't take it for granted our lads would win but I thought it would be a close game with a 2-4 point win for either side.
    To me it ruined everything. Hammered by a 3rd Division team after beating two 1st Division teams. After achieving so much against expectations. Sundays display just left me extremely downhearted!

Best of luck to Tipperary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

gammygils wrote: »
    Disappointed at the lame exit from the Championship. Let it be said - It was a lame exit! Didn't take it for granted our lads would win but I thought it would be a close game with a 2-4 point win for either side.
    To me it ruined everything. Hammered by a 3rd Division team after beating two 1st Division teams. After achieving so much against expectations. Sundays display just left me extremely downhearted!

The thing is I firmly believe they could go out next week and beat that Tipperary side but it was a just a complete non-performance and systems malfunction on the day. Very hard to put your finger on it. You only have one chance though when it comes to knockout football and they didn't turn up on the day and Tipp did.

The thing is I firmly believe they could go out next week and beat that Tipperary side but it was a just a complete non-performance and systems malfunction on the day. Very hard to put your finger on it. You only have one chance though when it comes to knockout football and they didn't turn up on the day and Tipp did.

True. Some days you just don't turn up and when that coincides with the other team playing above themselves it can result in games like Sunday.
    I could still see Galway winning that match up 7 to 8 times out of 10. Unfortunately Sunday was one of the other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I dunno lads. It was such a convincing whipping, in Croke Park again, with a management team that didn't have faith in the bench that I would doubt we'd beat them 9/10. The hype wagon caught us all again. We also seem to make that bit of progress in Connacht/Qualifiers and crash down to Earth when facing proper sides in a near one step forward/two backwards situation.

This may be just my Galway football depression speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Kevin Walsh was very slow to make any changes. We needed to go man to man.
    I feel for Damien comer whom work very hard to try and get us over the line.
    Always next year please God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

gammygils wrote: »

This is exactly what I think too . I looked forward to a tight game .secretly hoping Galway would win it well but if they lost by a point or two , progress had been made. Instead we got hammered and its a big let down.

• Advertisement

I dunno lads. It was such a convincing whipping, in Croke Park again, with a management team that didn't have faith in the bench that I would doubt we'd beat them 9/10. The hype wagon caught us all again. We also seem to make that bit of progress in Connacht/Qualifiers and crash down to Earth when facing proper sides in a near one step forward/two backwards situation.

This may be just my Galway football depression speaking.

Galways aggression in the tackle and willingness to work wasn't there Sunday. That's a sign that mentally there were a good few of the team who expected to win handy enough which is understandable because a lot of us fans felt the same. When that mental attitude isn't there from the start it's near impossible turn it on.

The lack of ability on the line to react to shore things up a bit and try to weather the storm is more worrying. We seem to make substitutions like an u12 team, just directly swap one lad for another and hope they play better than the lad coming off.

I think they could come back strong next year and the lesson they learned on Sunday won't be forgotten too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kevin Walsh was very slow to make any changes. We needed to go man to man.
    I feel for Damien comer whom work very hard to try and get us over the line.
    Always next year please God

Comer has emerged as a really good player who would get on almost any county team and that's at least one positive to take from this year, while Danny Cummins has greatly improved his finishing also. I also liked a lot of what I saw from Eamonn Brannigan and then there's Micheal Lundy and Peadar O'Griofa to come back next year. Lundy is excellent on his day and I still think we haven't seen the best of O'Griofa in a Galway jersey. If he can steer clear of injury he has the makings of a really good player.

Just looking to take some positives out of it. Galway aren't as bad as Sunday's game would suggest and Tipp aren't as good as that either. They will need to keep the heads now too or Tyrone could give them a spanking (as could Mayo on a good day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Comer has emerged as a really good player who would get on almost any county team and that's at least one positive to take from this year, while Danny Cummins has greatly improved his finishing also. I also liked a lot of what I saw from Eamonn Brannigan and then there's Micheal Lundy and Peadar O'Griofa to come back next year. Lundy is excellent on his day and I still think we haven't seen the best of O'Griofa in a Galway jersey. If he can steer clear of injury he has the makings of a really good player.

Just looking to take some positives out of it. Galway aren't as bad as Sunday's game would suggest and Tipp aren't as good as that either. They will need to keep the heads now too or Tyrone could give them a spanking (as could Mayo on a good day).

Cumins and Comer are definite positives; no guarantee O'Griofa can come back as well as ever after injury though, he's been really plagued. Lundy is a good player, probably better than Heaney, but perhaps a bit 'samey' when compared to Brannigan and Cummins. Will Sice give it another year?

What Tipp' do from here on really is no concern of ours. It's a moot point that we're not as bad as we looked, probably not, but our earlier fears over our FB line were legitimate and we simply have too many poor players in defence and at least one in midfield. These aren't inexperienced players either, and it's difficult to see them ever being any better than they are now. I don't think there's one good/great defender in Galway.

KW was one of our great midfielders and is a hugely popular figure among Galway supporters; he's received more goodwill from followers arguably than Mulholland. However in stark terms, he really has been little improvement on his predecessor. It's not his fault that the quality of player isn't available to him, but it's fair to ask why did so many eschew joining the panel. He's too slow to make changes and to recognise when a game is drifting away from him, and Galway have twice failed to get promotion in the league from a fairly ordinary division. I don't think anyone will seriously be calling for another change in management, but they may as well start from scratch again next year, especially with the defence. In the c'ship game of Snakes & Ladders we landed last Sunday on the one snake that brought us all the way to the bottom again; like the Brexit for Irish farmers, there was simply no upside from it, and we've been made look almost ridiculous in the process.

MfMan wrote: »
    Cumins and Comer are definite positives; no guarantee O'Griofa can come back as well as ever after injury though, he's been really plagued. Lundy is a good player, probably better than Heaney, but perhaps a bit 'samey' when compared to Brannigan and Cummins. Will Sice give it another year?

What Tipp' do from here on really is no concern of ours. It's a moot point that we're not as bad as we looked, probably not, but our earlier fears over our FB line were legitimate and we simply have too many poor players in defence and at least one in midfield. These aren't inexperienced players either, and it's difficult to see them ever being any better than they are now. I don't think there's one good/great defender in Galway.

KW was one of our great midfielders and is a hugely popular figure among Galway supporters; he's received more goodwill from followers arguably than Mulholland. However in stark terms, he really has been little improvement on his predecessor. It's not his fault that the quality of player isn't available to him, but it's fair to ask why did so many eschew joining the panel. He's too slow to make changes and to recognise when a game is drifting away from him, and Galway have twice failed to get promotion in the league from a fairly ordinary division. I don't think anyone will seriously be calling for another change in management, but they may as well start from scratch again next year, especially with the defence. In the c'ship game of Snakes & Ladders we landed last Sunday on the one snake that brought us all the way to the bottom again; like the Brexit for Irish farmers, there was simply no upside from it, and we've been made look almost ridiculous in the process.

I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't think there are very many exceptional defenders anymore. Its more a case of exceptionally organised groups of average but very fit players. Once this organisation level drops even slightly things just fall apart. It also depends on having a half forward line willing to work all day to drop back and fill in the gaps. Its horrible work and you tend to find that more talented footballers are less likely to do the grunt work on a consistent basis. Players who feel that their main contribution to a team is to do that grunt work are nearly more valuable than having very good footballing half forwards.

I don't see us having footballers any less talented than any of the top teams out there it just seems to fall down in consistency and also a line that is unable to react to changing conditions. I very much respect KW and all he has done for Galway football. He seems to have the man management skills as the team appear like a happy group but game management is a problem and he probably needs to bring in someone who can give another perspective to the possibilities when the tide is turning against you in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

It was an awful perfomance. Genuinely the most miserable game I've attended, and that says a lot because there's been plenty bad results over the past 10 years.

One thing I sitll cant understand is why we continually allowed Tipp to have the ball on their kick out.. It was plainly obvious that once they got the ball they were able to cut through us very easily. It needed to be stopped at source and that didn't happen until the game was over.
    That being said, Tipp also won the majority of kick-outs in the middle third too...

Jesus I hope the hurlers can restore some pride. I don't think I could take another hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

How did our midfield lose so much possession? I rate Conroy and Flynn but they looked like boys against men.

Tipperary were unlucky not to score 2 or 3 more goals.

How did our midfield lose so much possession? I rate Conroy and Flynn but they looked like boys against men.

Because they didn't have the half backs or half forwards foraging under them for breaking ball. I said earlier in this thread that Brannigan should have been pulled ashore and Finian Hanley sent in as a "loose" full back. We needed a big man to help the lads compete with Quinlivan and Sweeney and we also needed another option on the kickout. He could have been both. Small changes can sometimes stop the rot and change the course of a game.

Because they didn't have the half backs or half forwards foraging under them for breaking ball. I said earlier in this thread that Brannigan should have been pulled ashore and Finian Hanley sent in as a "loose" full back. We needed a big man to help the lads compete with Quinlivan and Sweeney and we also needed another option on the kickout. He could have been both. Small changes can sometimes stop the rot and change the course of a game.
    Lads we weren't within an asses roar of tipping. They should have beaten us by at least 6 pts more. Some one posted yesterday that we would beat that Tipp team something like 7/8 times out of ten. I dont think we would-beat them twice if we played them 10 times. Man for man we were tortured and embarrassed. And no disrespect to Tipp but imagine what the Dubs would do to us
    The writing was on the wall when a poor Clare team made light work of Roscommon. We have a couple of nice forwards who could get a place on most teams. After that we have a team of division 2 players

Lads we weren't within an asses roar of tipping. They should have beaten us by at least 6 pts more. Some one posted yesterday that we would beat that Tipp team something like 7/8 times out of ten. I dont think we would-beat them twice if we played them 10 times. Man for man we were tortured and embarrassed. And no disrespect to Tipp but imagine what the Dubs would do to us
    The writing was on the wall when a poor Clare team made light work of Roscommon. We have a couple of nice forwards who could get a place on most teams. After that we have a team of division 2 players

I think you underestimate how much difference a wrong mindset can have going into a game and how not being 100% committed can make you look like complete amateurs.
    It wouldn't take alot of tweaking to get that team to a good level. Bad as roscommon were we were about 17pts up at one stage. Put Tipp against roscommon in the same circumstances and I doubt they'd win by that margin. We had one bad day and it came in the only knockout game we played all year.

I think you underestimate how much difference a wrong mindset can have going into a game and how not being 100% committed can make you look like complete amateurs.
    It wouldn't take alot of tweaking to get that team to a good level. Bad as roscommon were we were about 17pts up at one stage. Put Tipp against roscommon in the same circumstances and I doubt they'd win by that margin. We had one bad day and it came in the only knockout game we played all year.
    It doesn't matter whether Tipp would beat Roscommon by 7 or 17 points. The fact is we man for man are inferior to Tipp and a million miles behind Dublin and Kerry. We do not have the players of their class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Have not been as deflated after a match since Leitrim bet us in '94 (I think) at Tuam. Kevin Walsh probably needs to bring in someone into the management set up as another poster said. Still first Connacht title in a few years is something to look back on. We really need to gain promotion to division one in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Galway was very poor against Roscommon the first day as well, and as you have admitted yourself a very poor Roscommon team, so that is two of the last three games, and of course the three most important games of the year that Galway were extremely poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sure Tipp have a team of division 3 players and they didn't pull up any trees in division 3 either. They finished just above the relegation spots down to division 4. I think what people are trying to figure out is why Galway under performed so drastically (and they definitely did as that was an all time awful display). Unless you try and learn what wrong then you are doomed to repeat it. I don't think Galway are world beaters but that was not a true reflection of what they are. It was them at their very worst. So the question is why exactly did they play that badly on the day? Not to take away from Tipp as they can only play what's in front of them but even they must have been surprised at how poor Galway were on the day. They were like a bad division 4 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I had a feeling last week that Galway would have it tough against tipp but if you told me there'd be people leaving in droves with 5 mins left I'd have thought a hammering was only going to be handed to tipp.
    Galway were too hyped up and the players were overconfident. Loads of talk even on Galway bay during the evenings of semi finals and maybe meeting mayo. They pretty much went in to the game with too soft a mentality. No doggedness by anyone in the middle third to stick the head down where it hurts and win a dirty breaking ball.
    I saw a few interviews with players last week and was saying in work I was worried, I didn't see much mention of tipp in them. It was all the crap about croke park, thriving when we get there etc. Stuff that hasn't been proven by any of them bar the lads who beat Cavan in the u21 final about 5 years ago was it?
    Tipp basically came up against about 3 or 4 Galway lads the last day, Cummins, comer, kyne and should have won by 15 points.
    They also should have been 2-4 to 0-1 down, and those goals were dead on certs one on one with the goalie, so the tipp backs are no great shakes.
    All in all, we stank the place out when the country was watching and aren't as bad as we looked.
    Tipp will be beaten the next day, they're not good enough for mayo or Tyrone. Or any other team in division 1 or of that ilk.
    They deserve the love and credit they got on Monday because such a small group of people trained and supported them all those lean years. And they've some lovely footballers. Footballers we'd kill for. They deserve the limelight.

But tipp are nowhere near division 1 standard. I hope they win the semi, but they won't because they aren't as good as they looked, and we aren't as bad as that either.

If Galway hit top form, and tipp outplayed them, then yeah I'd say tipp are a top team on their day. But they didn't stop Galway, Galway mentally never showed up.
    I don't know is that the players own standards letting them down, or managements fault. Bit of both maybe.

There's no mid game management to fix a problem on the sideline. Why didn't sice go sweeper? Why wasn't he told or do it himself? He has the experience surely to make that call.

Its a long winded post but it was a depressing bus home from Dublin on Sunday and I dunno do we stick with Walsh? Or is there anyone better willing to do the job?

Our small backs can be targeted anyway with high ball, we know that. It's the lack of game management that is key. It might have halted the rot last Sunday, maybe before goal number 3 went in. I mean tipp kicked a kick out to their corner back all f-cking day till the game was in the bag, and then run it up the field. How was that allowed happen? I fear it'll happen again next year in any game of your choosing, because we need a good man on the line to do something about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I know alot of ball was hit in on top of Kyne due to Conroy and co not been able to get a foothold in around the middle but Kyne was cleaned, turned inside out and generally hand a por game.

Had a good championship up to the Tipp game mind but in no way had a good game the last day. Comer the only man that stood up in Croker. Cummins should have finished his one on one and again like Kyne was having a great season up to this point. Came away with a few scores but he will be kicking himself for missing that easy goal chance.

Walsh was like a deer trapped in headlights wasn't able to make positional changes and had a poor bench to fall back on. The Mayo game was the highlight of the summer, but they are still in with a fighting chance against a far superior team to Tipp imo.

You will have lads say that it was a decent year won connacht but for mysel and many more the drubbing at the hands of Tipp who are a decent footballing side will live longer in the memory.

The players gave up and were not bothered tracking back when the game was up, you had tipp lads running past galway lads to get their name on the score sheet.Maybe alot of the Galway lads believed that thy were in the semis already and took tipp to lightly.

I dont know who to blame but the management and players both didn't show up last sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Want to get yer opinion on the commentator for galway bay . what do ye think of him

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Ollie turner for the football or Sean Walsh for hurling? I think Sean's very good for the hurling, didn't he get some gigs on setanta last year too for the league?
    Turner I find is honest if Galway are playing cat. Based on league matches I've heard anyway. Can get carried away at time but isn't that what local radio commentators are like anyway.
    They're both grand imo. Grand because it's local radio. I'd still take either on Galway bay than the lifeless corpse that is ger canning.

I know alot of ball was hit in on top of Kyne due to Conroy and co not been able to get a foothold in around the middle but Kyne was cleaned, turned inside out and generally hand a por game.

Had a good championship up to the Tipp game mind but in no way had a good game the last day. Comer the only man that stood up in Croker. Cummins should have finished his one on one and again like Kyne was having a great season up to this point. Came away with a few scores but he will be kicking himself for missing that easy goal chance.

Walsh was like a deer trapped in headlights wasn't able to make positional changes and had a poor bench to fall back on. The Mayo game was the highlight of the summer, but they are still in with a fighting chance against a far superior team to Tipp imo.

You will have lads say that it was a decent year won connacht but for mysel and many more the drubbing at the hands of Tipp who are a decent footballing side will live longer in the memory.

The players gave up and were not bothered tracking back when the game was up, you had tipp lads running past galway lads to get their name on the score sheet.Maybe alot of the Galway lads believed that thy were in the semis already and took tipp to lightly.

I dont know who to blame but the management and players both didn't show up last sunday
    Kyne had a good championship up to last Sunday but he was brought back down with a bang against Tipp. I know the runners were let through very easily but for two of the goals he barely moved to cut out the danger. His positional sense for a full back we poor. But the management left him out to dry. The very same way Paraic Mannion was left hung out against Callanan last year only we got away with that one.
    An earlier post says Tipp are nowhere near a division 1 team. Well let me add neither are Galway. We would struggle to make the top 10 teams in the country. And if you think thats a mad statement just look and see what top team we have beaten in the last 5 years aside from Mayo earlier this year ( I think that was just a one off )
    Management needs a shake up either Walsh goes or gets an upgrade on his backroom team. If complacency had set in before last Sunday then HS back room team need a kick up the h**e

With Mayo in the semi final last week's loss gets a little more sickening. What an occasion that would have been meeting in the semi for the first time ever.

The Stadium office is only selling tickets from 10am-4pm. Just a word of warning in case anybody else tries to use logic in planning when to head over after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

The Stadium office is only selling tickets from 10am-4pm. Just a word of warning in case anybody else tries to use logic in planning when to head over after work.

Decent Upper Cusack tickets went on sale on tickets.ie. earlier today

Toplink wrote: »
    Decent Upper Cusack tickets went on sale on tickets.ie. earlier today

Ya I actually nabbed some decent 705 seats about 2 hours ago. Selling well I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not much talk about the game on Sunday seems to be low key on both sides. We had a classic last year, could be a good one again. Tipp deserve to be favourites though and we will need more from certain key players, especially in the forwards where Conor Cooney and Niall Burke have been below par, Conor Whelan has only been functional at best and Jason Flynn has been a pale shadow of the player he was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cathal Mannion hasn't been firing on all cylinders either, Joe Cooney is up and down, will Coen be deployed in midfield again and will Tuohy and McInerney step up more as necessary? Lot of question marks over Galway coming in.

Tipp' have indisputably improved this year, particularly in midfield, but the 5 week hiatus may mitigate against them and MD will know their players very well. Matches between are usually free-flowing and high scoring but I'd take being on the right side of a 0-3 to 0-2 on Sunday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

What evenings and times do the Galway senior hurling team train in Athenry ?

I've never seen a more comical hammering before.

Tipp got three of the worst goals you'd see while Galway butchered a few chances with errand last passes, including directly before the third goal.

Added to that Galway have had 8/9 wides including 5/6 while sitting on a point.

Need to abandon the sweeper and bring Sammon on at FF.

Cant fathom why that wasn't done when going 8 down as the Tipp sweeper is helping them massively on puck outs.

And another dreadful goal.... My god, an 11 point lead and in no way dominant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

hi guys, can someone answer me a question. I have read somewhere that Cyrill Farrell (and Justin McCarthy) came on as subs in the 1985 All Ireland semi final. This was the match played in treachorous conditions that reulted in only 8000 making the match.

Is this just a fictional legend?

hi guys, can someone answer me a question. I have read somewhere that Cyrill Farrell (and Justin McCarthy) came on as subs in the 1985 All Ireland semi final. This was the match played in treachorous conditions that reulted in only 8000 making the match.

Is this just a fictional legend?

Fiction

• Advertisement

Fiction

ha, ok! I read it before but I was reassured it was fiction! Doesn't seem all that implausible however that Farrell may of been forced to throw on a jersey to make up the numbers after a few injuries. He was only 35! And McCarthy was still playing club hurling until 1991!

Seemed like a strange piece of fiction!!

Thanks, just needed clarification! A few KK boys giving me hassle for bringing it up! ;)

ha, ok! I read it before but I was reassured it was fiction! Doesn't seem all that implausible however that Farrell may of been forced to throw on a jersey to make up the numbers after a few injuries. He was only 35! And McCarthy was still playing club hurling until 1991!

Seemed like a strange piece of fiction!!

Thanks, just needed clarification! A few KK boys giving me hassle for bringing it up! ;)

Them lads would fight with their toe nails!!!!.
    Dont think Farrell ever played hurling fir Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A quick Google suggests both managers brought themselves on as subs. I can't find a decent match report though.

oh, no he didnt but it doesn't seem implausible that at 35 he may have been forced to throw himself on to make up numbers if a few injuries happened. Sure half the players may not have made the match with the weather that day :D

thanks, good luck today, hopefully you can defend better than the minors in the full back line!

oh, no he didnt but it doesn't seem implausible that at 35 he may have been forced to throw himself on to make up numbers if a few injuries happened. Sure half the players may not have made the match with the weather that day :D

thanks, good luck today, hopefully you can defend better than the minors in the full back line!

Just dont think we gave improved from last year where I think Tipp have. Could see Tipp beating KK in the final where's we wouldnt

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement