Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Heard rumours today at work that eoghan kerrin got injured playing for annaghdown and a big doubt for the mayo game. I would appreciate if someone could tell me it is BS as he would be a massive loss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

testtech05 wrote:
    Heard rumours today at work that eoghan kerrin got injured playing for annaghdown and a big doubt for the mayo game. I would appreciate if someone could tell me it is BS as he would be a massive loss!!

Wasn't playing for Annaghdown it was in a A vs B game he hobbled off before half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Wasn't playing for Annaghdown it was in a A vs B game he hobbled off before half time.

Hopefully he will be ok was excellent all through the league. Any idea what type of injury it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Is the minor match online or on any radio station or website to stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Just saw the bits from Tony Keadys book in the independent. Pretty disappointing to say the least.
    I remember reading 5 pages of the Sylvie linnane book too and had to throw it in the fire. Piss poor. Liam Hayes just hasn't got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Just saw the bits from Tony Keadys book in the independent. Pretty disappointing to say the least. I remember reading 5 pages of the Sylvie linnane book too and had to throw it in the fire. Piss poor. Liam Hayes just hasn't got it.

Books are mirrors. You only see in them what you already have inside of you.†-Carlos Zafon

Books are mirrors. You only see in them what you already have inside of you.†-Carlos Zafon

Deep. I'll think about this....😀

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm not impressed with the Galway team to play Mayo. I'm sure the manager knows best but to me Tom Flynn , Gary O Donnell, Cathal Sweeney and Chris Duggan in around the middle third all together is too weak. I hope it's not the real team. Maybe they will suit the system but Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly should be starting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Maybe it is just a dummy team.

I'm not impressed with the Galway team to play Mayo. I'm sure the manager knows best but to me Tom Flynn , Gary O Donnell, Cathal Sweeney and Chris Duggan in around the middle third all together is too weak. I hope it's not the real team. Maybe they will suit the system but Peter Cooke and Sean Kelly should be starting imo.

Underwhelmed myself. Walsh never named his league teams until 20 mins before throw in so he won't show his hand this early.
    Flynn has had enough chances to impress and rarely did. My guess is Cooke in for Flynn. Flynn will have to seriously impress if he starts. Ciaran Duggan played well in the latter stages of the league and has serious pace for a big man. I'd have him out there to follow Parsons around.
    They'll surely want to spring a surprise on the Mayo backs so maybe Sean Kelly or Ian Burke in for O Donnell, with Heaney taking his place in the half back line.
    Im expecting Barrett to start on Comer. Not a hope Cafferkey will start on Comer.
    Ray Silke in today's Advertiser twice mentioned the rumour about Kyne and Kerin being doubtful, and with his brother as a selector there might be merit in the doubts. God only knows if there'll be any backs in the subs if those 2 are out presuming Wynne and Duane then start.
    If today's team starts I'll be worried at 4 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Its good to see McHugh named as starting but it is hard to take either team sheet too seriously. I'd expect both managers to go with different teams on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

grbear wrote: »
    Its good to see McHugh named as starting but it is hard to take either team sheet too seriously. I'd expect both managers to go with different teams on Sunday.

I would be shocked to see McHugh & Armstrong both start. My guess is that Ian Burke might sneak in ahead of Armstrong. Him or Sean Kelly. Or maybe Brannigan if he is fit - I have not heard anything concrete about Brannigan.

Tom Flynn did nothing in the league to suggest he should be starting. However, Cooke did not have a spectacular league campaign either. I'd opt for Cooke above Flynn however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I would be shocked to see McHugh & Armstrong both start. My guess is that Ian Burke might sneak in ahead of Armstrong. Him or Sean Kelly. Or maybe Brannigan if he is fit - I have not heard anything concrete about Brannigan.

Tom Flynn did nothing in the league to suggest he should be starting. However, Cooke did not have a spectacular league campaign either. I'd opt for Cooke above Flynn however.

The only thing is there's been over a month now since the league final

In fairness it's plenty of time for someone to really put their hand up in training, regardless of league form

We have no real indication as to who's carrying niggles, who's winning aerial battles in training, who is at peak fitness and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

The team named doesn't fill me with confidence but there'll more than likely be a few changes. Barring injury or lack of form, can't see how Seán Kelly doesn't start. Thought he was one of our best players in the league. Flynn must be flying in training because he's done little in games to warrant his place. He'd be a great asset if he was back to his best though.

As TCDStudent1 said, doubt we'll see McHugh and Armstrong starting inside. We generally only have two in there and even though Comer roams about, I'd expect it to be him to be one of them.

If we lined out like this on Sunday, I'd be pretty happy. Not what I'd pick if everyone was fit, but probably still good enough.

Lavelle;
    Kyne, Ó Ceallaigh, Kerin;
    O'Donnell, Bradshaw, Sweeney, Heaney;
    Cooke, Conroy, Duggan;
    S Walsh, Kelly;
    McHugh, Comer.

The gap from the league is a worry for me. Had this game been a couple of weeks after the end of the league I'd be a lot more confident but loss of form and complacency could really be a factor Sunday. Gives Mayo good time to regroup and focus on us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »

In fairness it's plenty of time for someone to really put their hand up in training, regardless of league form

We have no real indication as to who's carrying niggles, who's winning aerial battles in training, who is at peak fitness and so on

I saw Flynn in a Galway A v B match a couple of weeks ago as part of a club celebration thing in Kilererin. He did nothing there either! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

jr86 wrote: »

Heard Kerin is out for this game, not sure if there is any truth to this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Minors had a good win over Sligo tonight so hopefully that's a good omen for this weekend.

Should get a good crowd in Tullamore tomorrow. Concannon probably the best new forward from the League and it'd be great if Skehill (who I wouldn't be a massive proponent of in the last few years) could push Callanan for No.1 later in the summer.

1 James Skehill
    2 Adrian Tuohy
    3 Daithi Burke
    4 John Hanbury
    5 Padraig Mannion
    6 Gearoid McInerney
    7 Aidan Harte
    8 Johnny Coen
    9 David Burke Capt
    10 Cathal Mannion
    11 Joe Canning
    12 Joseph Cooney
    13 Conor Whelan
    14 Conor Cooney
    15 Brian Concannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Minors had a good win over Sligo tonight so hopefully that's a good omen for this weekend.

Should get a good crowd in Tullamore tomorrow. Concannon probably the best new forward from the League and it'd be great if Skehill (who I wouldn't be a massive proponent of in the last few years) could push Callanan for No.1 later in the summer.

1 James Skehill
    2 Adrian Tuohy
    3 Daithi Burke
    4 John Hanbury
    5 Padraig Mannion
    6 Gearoid McInerney
    7 Aidan Harte
    8 Johnny Coen
    9 David Burke Capt
    10 Cathal Mannion
    11 Joe Canning
    12 Joseph Cooney
    13 Conor Whelan
    14 Conor Cooney
    15 Brian Concannon

It's a strong team for a first round game but slightly disappointing that of the new guys only Concannon has forced his way in. We will need a few more of the fringe players to step up. Should be winning this one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Galway v. Offaly LSHC not live on tv?

• Advertisement

Lot of star players from last year like Canning and GMac have been awful.

Joseph Cooney kept our head above water.

Sharpness still there with the first touch.

Much better second half. Whelan excellent, Mac and Padraig Mannion were very good. Thought the fullbacks were ropey and that second goal was a killer to give away.

Offaly keeper stopped probably 5 more goals with super saves.

Lot of work to do to get back up to 2017 form but we score goals now which is a big plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Going for goals seems to be a new policy for the year. Very poor first half; touch, handling; passing, rising ball etc. all badly off. Moved up a good gear or two after the interval, got stuck in better and scores flowed a bit better. Joe Cooney MOTM in the first half, Whelan probably all through. Big improvement in particular from GMac in part 2. Not David Burke's best game or anything but is a Rolls of a player. Sean Loftus will push Coen hard for a starting slot. Auspicious debut for Concannon, needs to steady up on his shot selection a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Best of luck to the lads today . Leave it all on the pitch and what will be will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

A great win but a dreadful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

vid36 wrote:
    A great win but a dreadful game.

Great to win. But worrying performance. Subs got us out of jail.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever felt so miserable after a big win.

As all that was proven in the end was that KW hasn't a clue how to coach a team.

There's a simple tactic to employ if you go a man up... Everyone man's up and you have a spare player.
    You get no use of it with a blanket as nobody is accountable for anyone so Mayo players could find time and space.
    Similarly in attack if you leave more forward when you break overlaps will transpire as the spare man creates opportunities.

We were blessed with the spare man meaning we were able to win our kick outs but again like in the league final while a man up we were letting Mayo kick them short which is criminal.

We advance, we'll likely be in the Super 8s now but we need a coach in there if we want to win AIs.
    The quality of players has improved over the years... The coaching and game management has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Happily conceding every Mayo kickout when a man up was criminal imo. I just don't understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Only positives from today were Shane Walsh taking a game by the scruff of the neck, the quality of Sean Kelly and Ian Burke.
    It also is now obvious that Kieran Molloy needs to replace Gary o Donnell at wing back. We need more attacking threats and Gary is an out and out defender

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Well done to Galway. They have now beaten Mayo for the last 3 years in a row in the Connacht Championship. I don’t think either team played well today. It wasn’t a great game. Mayo were very wasteful with their shooting and a major turning point in the game was O’Connor’s sending off. Again the lack of discipline from this Mayo team has cost them big-time. It was Higgins in this game last year, Vaughan in the All Ireland last year. They have to cut out that shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Walsh picked the wrong team to start and said so beforehand. Ian Burke simply has to play. He's by far and away the best playmaker and link man in the squad. Attack looks much more fluent when he's on the pitch. Brannigan fair enough his ankle injury prevented him from starting. Wasn't mad on Flynn starting either and he was poor enough for 60 minutes but to be fair he was very good in the last 15 odd minutes or so. Won a couple of kickouts and fisted a point.

Duggan had a fine game in midfield. Sean Kelly very good as well after he came on. Lad has some engine on him. Comer looked like he has going to run rampant in the first half but once Mayo got more defensive after half-time they got a lot more bodies around him. Shane Walsh the usual curate's egg display. Kicked a couple of great scores and dropped as many into the keepers arms.

Fair play to the full-back line for staying on the pitch after they all picked up early enough yellow cards. Some silly ones too for jersey pulling.

Wouldn't be surprised if Conroy has a fractured cheekbone.

Michael Daly seems to have disappeared since his injury. Was he even on the bench today?

I understand Walsh wanting to solidify this team defensively but at some stage he's going to have allow them a bit more scope to take the game to the opposition.

Best wishes to Tom Parsons. Looked a nasty one sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well done the footballers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

This morning I would have been happy enough to know Galway would win by 3 points.
    That was shocking stuff though a terrible game of football , its hard watch as good a team as we have now play a stop them first and see what happens kind of rubbish.
    The quality in that Galway team is enough to stop the jackeens IMO but they have to be let play football.

Defence needs to be helped out by bringing lads back but we need to let the lads off the leash too. In space there towards the end they looked good to watch. Burke and Kelly made the difference.
    Awful the way it never looked like mayo had 14. Sideline should've forced the lads to push up on mayo kickouts

Don't care how awful it was to watch. Great result. The whinging of some (not all) Mayo fans on the way out was music to my ears.

Shane Walsh needs to stop dicking about dropping handy scores short. There's a lot of showboating holding him back from being a great player.

Thought Cathal Sweeney had his best game for us today. Duggan was excellent too. Cooke made the loss of Conroy bearable.

Burke and Kelly swung it in our favour.

Don't care how awful it was to watch. Great result. The whinging of some (not all) Mayo fans on the way out was music to my ears.

Shane Walsh needs to stop dicking about dropping handy scores short. There's a lot of showboating holding him back from being a great player.

Thought Cathal Sweeney had his best game for us today. Duggan was excellent too. Cooke made the loss of Conroy bearable.

Burke and Kelly swung it in our favour.

I'd be first to criticise Shane Walsh but he was the one player driving Galway on before Kelly and Burke entered the fray.

Easy to read alot into this game but it's a must not lose derby and they're always crap. However I completely disagree with dropping 15 back. We should never see Comer, Ian Burke and at least one other coming beyond the opposition's 45. If you want to keep teams honest we need to have a threat when it breaks down for them. We're only inviting 14 to attack rather than 10 or 11.

Our strike runners, brannigan and Walsh should never come deeper than our 45. A small change like that will make us twice the team and extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

With all due respect to Sligo, Galway should make it to the Connacht final and face Roscommon. It's a game that Galway can't afford to come into with complacency. That's what they did, to an extent, last year and Roscommon punished them for it. Roscommon are a dangerous team, The Murtagh's, The Smiths, Devaney, Kilroy etc can create and rack up the scores as well as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

Truthfully I'd rather have lost and not had that awful injury to Parsons in the game. A giant of a footballer, I wish him all the best. I found it hard to get excited after that. Galway lads gave everything, and Kelly was a fine sub. We wouldn't deserve to win much playing like that, but maybe its horses for courses. Any team beating mayo away is there or thereabouts. Mayo shooting cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

Proud of the galway lads one and all though. A great honest effort.

threeball wrote: »
    I'd be first to criticise Shane Walsh but he was the one player driving Galway on before Kelly and Burke entered the fray
    Oh absolutely and he had a similar leader performance last year in the same fixture. Crucial player already but just small things like the tame shots in critical moments could cost us. Died with his boots on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'd be first to criticise Shane Walsh but he was the one player driving Galway on before Kelly and Burke entered the fray.

Easy to read alot into this game but it's a must not lose derby and they're always crap. However I completely disagree with dropping 15 back. We should never see Comer, Ian Burke and at least one other coming beyond the opposition's 45. If you want to keep teams honest we need to have a threat when it breaks down for them. We're only inviting 14 to attack rather than 10 or 11.

Our strike runners, brannigan and Walsh should never come deeper than our 45. A small change like that will make us twice the team and extremely dangerous.

Comers and Ian Burke played inside is as good as any inside line that's out there. Hopefully see more of it over the next few months.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Comers and Ian Burke played inside is as good as any inside line that's out there. Hopefully see more of it over the next few months.

Personally I don't see why, when the ball is turned over, the wing forwards don't drop to wing back with the wing backs dropping in between the half and full back lines. The midfielders will naturally gravitate to either side of the centre back. This leaves you with 5 across the half back line, 5 behind them and 4 forwards. It's simple to do and leaves a real attacking threat with your ff line and centre forward still inside their 45.

5yrs ago we needed the system we play now. Right now we have the players to defend correctly whilst still being an attacking force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The calm before the storm (click on for larger image)

Mayo_vs_Galway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Might as well throw up my own scatterbrain analysis

-Didn't expect a classic, didn't get one.

-Like most people I was surprised the team Walsh named earlier in the week actually started.

-Ian Burke has to start against Sligo. Brannigan should be in as well but I think its a given that he starts when he is fully fit. Burkes linkup play is simply better than the rest of the forwards so we get more out of everyone when he is on the pitch. A few more weeks training with the squad should make him even better.

-I thought Shane Walsh did good enough yesterday. He could still be better but he took two good points from play and there wasn't as much clueless play from him yesterday. This pleases me.

-I'm surprised we finished with 15. When the full-back line were all booked I was certain Mayo were going to try to really target them for another booking but that pressure didn't really materialise

-O'Connors red card was a shocker in terms of how braindead it was. Galway might still have won if Mayo had 15 players on the pitch but that red certainly helped Galway.

-The goal was beautifully worked. I know the focus will be on how dour the game was but that flash of genuine brilliance shows the threat this team possess.

-Beating Mayo is always good. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

Being cheeky and assuming it’s a Galway/Roscommon match up on June 17th, where would it be played??

Should we beat Sligo it'd be Hyde Park because we played them in Salthill last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Should we beat Sligo it'd be Hyde Park because we played them in Salthill last year.

Would I be right in saying that we have to go to the Hyde the next two times we have to play the rossies?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Personally I don't see why, when the ball is turned over, the wing forwards don't drop to wing back with the wing backs dropping in between the half and full back lines. The midfielders will naturally gravitate to either side of the centre back. This leaves you with 5 across the half back line, 5 behind them and 4 forwards. It's simple to do and leaves a real attacking threat with your ff line and centre forward still inside their 45.

5yrs ago we needed the system we play now. Right now we have the players to defend correctly whilst still being an attacking force.

Agree, so simple, but it makes so much sense that it will never happen.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that we have to go to the Hyde the next two times we have to play the rossies?

No.

They sacrificed that when they took the replay in McHale Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

No.

They sacrificed that when they took the replay in McHale Park.

Ah right. I knew there was something alright when the Hyde was been resurfaced but wasn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What odds are Galway for the double?
    Certainly on the cards after the weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement