Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

I'd keep the spine intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shur even in the League there wasn't an awful lot of experimentation at the same time for easier games.

We'll likely see 5 changes max and still have key players like Daithi, Mac and David Burke starting.

That said lads like Loftus, Killeen, Glynn, Concannon and Jason Flynn all have to play the duration so they can find form. They all have potential to start in the event of any injuries in the latter stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

h2005 wrote: »
    When are Connacht final tickets on sale?

Tomorrow apparently.

Shur even in the League there wasn't an awful lot of experimentation at the same time for easier games.

We'll likely see 5 changes max and still have key players like Daithi, Mac and David Burke starting.

That said lads like Loftus, Killeen, Glynn, Concannon and Jason Flynn all have to play the duration so they can find form. They all have potential to start in the event of any injuries in the latter stages.

Not saying you're wrong(and he won't play key players) but the league was a different situation.

You had a team coming back late and needing to get up to speed for the latter stages.

Different story in a complete dead rubber with a big game in 4 weeks.

There is no need to play anyone we cant afford to lose, so all of the subs should be playing.

I think MD was naive by not emptying the bench in the past two games, but more so the Wexford one as with a 11 point lead and 10mins to go the key players should have been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

I would like to see skehill, killeen, daithi, linnane, Mannion, Mac, Shane cooney, loftus, David Burke, niall burke, Johnny Glynn, jayo, Whelan, cooney and concannon.

• Advertisement

He's picked basically the same team bar Killeen, Loftus, Niall Burke and Flynn. Harte and Hanbury swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

He's picked basically the same team bar Killeen, Loftus, Niall Burke and Flynn. Harte and Hanbury swap.

Killeen for Tuohy, Loftus for Coen, Burke for JC, Flynn for Glynn.
    Would have rested a couple of more myself, particularly D Burke x 2. Practically indispensable.

Think it's a huge mistake playing most of that team.

If any of the core players there get carted off with a few weeks injury we're up **** creek.

I'd be a bit peeved as a squad player as well if I'm still not used in a dead rubber.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

He Has made 4 changes with few more subs sure to get a run . It’s 3 weeks till Leinster final . Players can get injured in training as easily as a match . They will want to put on good performance and kept winning run go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Be disappointing if this talented U20 team go out because of a silly sending off. All the play in first half and go in level. Take a serious effort to win it from here. Whatever breeze is in it Roscommon will have in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Be disappointing if this talented U20 team go out because of a silly sending off. All the play in first half and go in level. Take a serious effort to win it from here. Whatever breeze is in it Roscommon will have in the second half.

His teammates won't be happy with him that's for sure. Having to play 60 minutes with 14 men.

His teammates won't be happy with him that's for sure. Having to play 60 minutes with 14 men.

Disappointing. Two instances where Galway had won simple free ins we end up with two men sent off.

Disappointing. Two instances where Galway had won simple free ins we end up with two men sent off.

What were the red cards for? Especially the first.

Starie1975 wrote:
    Galway football has been plunged into uncertainty following the news that experienced pair Kieran Fitzgerald and Niall Coleman have withdrawn from Tomás O Flatharta's panel.

What were the red cards for? Especially the first.

Thought it was very harsh. Won a free in Roscommon lad was on the ground when he stood up in pushed into Finian O Laoi knocking him back. Finian turned around and pushed him into the chest and knocked him over. Second was the exact same except Finnerty pushed into the face. For that second red Galway had just won a kickable free to put two in it and Roscommon were about to get their second black card in three minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Any update on the U20 game? Also anyone know if there will be stand tickets on sale at the stadium later?

testtech05 wrote: »
    Any update on the U20 game? Also anyone know if there will be stand tickets on sale at the stadium later?

Galway lost by 3. O'Laoi red carded after 8 minutes when they were 3 up.

Could see Killeen oust Hanbury. He's very good at winning ball but poor enough getting rid of it in a timely fashion.

Mac very busy so far. Even looking for lads more than 3 metres away from him :)

Whelan is a fantastic player. Causing huge problems.

Loftus good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭I says

Could see Killeen oust Hanbury. He's very good at winning ball but poor enough getting rid of it in a timely fashion.

Mac very busy so far. Even looking for lads more than 3 metres away from him :)

Whelan is a fantastic player. Causing huge problems.

Loftus good too.

Killeen won’t push Hanbury out he has no pace which will get him caught out in the likes of croke Park

Biggest threat to Galway hurlers is this clown of a ref. How many times has he tried to do us.

Very eerily similar to that Limerick league match. We were unbelievably poor in that second half. Were losing an awful lot of 50/50 balls to Dublin.

Skehill is back to his dodgiest too. An absolute horror goal to concede and you could tell it rattled us bigtime at the back where we were non-existent for the second goal.

Only thing to take away from that game was that he brought on a bench of fringe players who didn't individually make a difference but the tide turned a bit when they all came on.

If that's our poor championship performance out of the way for the rest of the year that game served its purpose. 100% record a good start to the championship but a reawakened Kilkenny in Croker will be a big mental test for this side and a much needed test of our steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

flynn in for joseph cooney/johnny glynn might be the only change bar injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Very eerily similar to that Limerick league match. We were unbelievably poor in that second half. Were losing an awful lot of 50/50 balls to Dublin.

Skehill is back to his dodgiest too. An absolute horror goal to concede and you could tell it rattled us bigtime at the back where we were non-existent for the second goal.

Only thing to take away from that game was that he brought on a bench of fringe players who didn't individually make a difference but the tide turned a bit when they all came on.

If that's our poor championship performance out of the way for the rest of the year that game served its purpose. 100% record a good start to the championship but a reawakened Kilkenny in Croker will be a big mental test for this side and a much needed test of our steel.

Eanna Burke added a bit of steel and urgency; Loftus, bar a bit of nervousness, was good and delivered good ball to the forwards, Whelan is worth his weight in gold, never gives up on a lost cause, and he along with Padraig Mannion (largely outstanding) are Galway's current frontrunners for HOTY.

A lot of our players mixed the very good with the very mediocre; did some good things and spoiled it with poor control or bad passes or touches. Hanbury had a very poor evening. Skehill showed once again why I'd say the management secretly pray for the welfare of Callanan. Cathal Mannion yielded possession at times but finished strongly and was instrumental in setting up crucial late scores. Joe Cooney ditto; some very lax touches, yet had a sublime point from near the endline. Conor Cooney largely out of it though scored a very good point in the first half. Niall Burke better first half than second. Jayo - I don't know, took his scores well but for all his physicality isn't very effective in the tight, needs a lot of room to play. GMac one of our better performers.

The 2 goals really unnerved us at a time when we were cruising. Hopefully that's the dirty petrol blown out of the system but KK won't fear us on this evening's display.

MfMan wrote:
    Eanna Burke added a bit of steel and urgency; Loftus, bar a bit of nervousness, was good and delivered good ball to the forwards, Whelan is worth his weight in gold, never gives up on a lost cause, and he along with Padraig Mannion (largely outstanding) are Galway's current frontrunners for HOTY.

MfMan wrote:
    A lot of our players mixed the very good with the very mediocre; did some good things and spoiled it with poor control or bad passes or touches. Hanbury had a very poor evening. Skehill showed once again why I'd say the management secretly pray for the welfare of Callanan. Cathal Mannion yielded possession at times but finished strongly and was instrumental in setting up crucial late scores. Joe Cooney ditto; some very lax touches, yet had a sublime point from near the endline. Conor Cooney largely out of it though scored a very good point in the first half. Niall Burke better first half than second. Jayo - I don't know, took his scores well but for all his physicality isn't very effective in the tight, needs a lot of room to play. GMac one of our better performers.

MfMan wrote:
    The 2 goals really unnerved us at a time when we were cruising. Hopefully that's the dirty petrol blown out of the system but KK won't fear us on this evening's display.

Spot on with this. Good with the bad was a bit of a worry for me today. Look at our captain I think possibly three bad wides in a row. (I think three) but soon came up with two big scores.

Some other observations. Hanbury failed at half back. P. Mannion is vital to us. Dathi needs to reign in his aggression. Lofty mixed the good with the poor. Flynn isn't doing enough from play. In the air Niall Burke causes plenty of problems.

Special mention for Eanna Burke. Watched him plenty from a young age. He has something about him. He seems to see things other players don't. Not to put a comparison to other players but I see some Joe Cooney senior in him. His vision is exceptional. Hopefully we go back to 70 minute hurling from here. The fifteen after half time was a big dent.

MfMan wrote:

MfMan wrote:

MfMan wrote:

Spot on with this. Good with the bad was a bit of a worry for me today. Look at our captain I think possibly three bad wides in a row. (I think three) but soon came up with two big scores.

Some other observations. Hanbury failed at half back. P. Mannion is vital to us. Dathi needs to reign in his aggression. Lofty mixed the good with the poor. Flynn isn't doing enough from play. In the air Niall Burke causes plenty of problems.

Special mention for Eanna Burke. Watched him plenty from a young age. He has something about him. He seems to see things other players don't. Not to put a comparison to other players but I see some Joe Cooney senior in him. His vision is exceptional. Hopefully we go back to 70 minute hurling from here. The fifteen after half time was a big dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Negatives
    Cant see us winning an all ireland if Hanbury and Harte keep playing the way they are. Mannion Burke and Mac are keeping that backline together. We are in big trouble if one of them gets injured
    Last night also showed that Skehill is prone to a blunder every so often.
    Never looked like scoring a goal

Positives
    Weer unbeaten without reaching even 75% championship pace. 3 games to win an All Ireland. Kilkenny, Limerick and Cork could be it.

Just hope we dont get caught defensively and that we start to create a few more goal scoring opportunities because there will be a bad day at the office too for the forwards when it comes to point scoring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Is Colm Callanan injured etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think so. Cant see him coming back

Heard a rumour that he might not be back this year. He's been togged at the games alright but seems to be there in a coaching capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Heard a rumour that he might not be back this year. He's been togged at the games alright but seems to be there in a coaching capacity.

Who's our second choice if Callanans injured/unavailable?

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Who's our second choice if Callanans injured/unavailable?

Flannery benches this year. He's never really had the chance to redeem himself since the 2012 replay. Don't think Gavin Lally is on the panel anymore. Yesterday would've been a good chance to give him a start if rumours about Callanan being out for the year are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What did flannery do in 2012 that he isn't starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

kala85 wrote: »

I was about to ask the same, thought he acquitted himself quite well in a big game

I think he's associated, along with Skehill/Cyril, with the second half collapse. He was put into a thankless position and deserves no blame. We don't know what Skehill we'll get on any given day: penalty saver or brainfart. That surely warranted giving Flannery a go yesterday to see what he can offer outside of training games.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

kala85 wrote: »
    He is very suspect under a high ball and has let in a few howlers at under age level - in particular minor and u21. He's a good shot stopper but just a bit small

Would imagine Joe Keane of portumna is really regretting his decision to transfer to Roscommon after being third choice the last few years...would much prefer him over both Flannery and Lally

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

Are many heading up to the final on July 1st? And if so whereabouts are ye getting tickets for as I don’t fancy being stuck in the middle of half of Kilkenny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Tried to get tickets for the football online but it says they are no longer available online. Is it sold out or are tickets still available at SuperValu’s/centras?

Tried to get tickets for the football online but it says they are no longer available online. Is it sold out or are tickets still available at SuperValu’s/centras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

SarahOH wrote: »
    Are many heading up to the final on July 1st? And if so whereabouts are ye getting tickets for as I don’t fancy being stuck in the middle of half of Kilkenny!
    Oh I fancy getting stuck right in the middle of them. If we stamp on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

At the uncles business today

Redo91 wrote: »

Think it might be sold out. Met one of the lads coming out of Super Valu yesterday evening who couldn't get any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Think it might be sold out. Met one of the lads coming out of Super Valu yesterday evening who couldn't get any.

The capacity is small enough in hyde Park isn’t it plus Roscommon would have a big following at home

Ya I rang Galway GAA today and they said themselves and all the Supermarkets are now sold out. I expected an official announcement. Hopefully one turns up closer to the day.

Ya I rang Galway GAA today and they said themselves and all the Supermarkets are now sold out. I expected an official announcement. Hopefully one turns up closer to the day.

There hasn't been any announcement from Ros GAA or the Connacht Council. Season Ticket holders are getting theirs today so there might be a small few returns for any ST holders who opt out. Presume these will go to the County Boards so keep an eye out tomorrow/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Not surprised it's a hot ticket. Roscommon have a big football following, Galway will bring a crowd too. But you will also have people coming from all over the country. It should be good competitive game between 2 division 1 teams in a provincial final.

They are restricted to 18,000 which isn't a massive capacity for the first final there in years.

Also with both teams on the up interest will exceed that.

They're also not allowed to sell tickets on the day.

I MIGHT have two for sale, I'll know by Friday.

If my friend isn't going, I'm not going alone so I'll be shifting my two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If my friend isn't going, I'm not going alone so I'll be shifting my two.

Ah but how will you give out about the kick outs when they're happening during TV replays? :D

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah but how will you give out about the kick outs when they're happening during TV replays? :D

If you don't see the difference between us and Dublin and how it leads to issues I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If you don't see the difference between us and Dublin and how it leads to issues I'll leave it there.

Relax, I've already said I agree with you. We don't need to hear about it after every win however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Was just looking online on tickets.ie for the Leinster hurling final in Croke Park. See there are seats only in lower levels in stands and terrace. Does anybody know if they just want to get rid of lower level tickets first and then release tickets for upper stands? Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement