Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Tony Ward might be in the stands for the semi final.

If he is so be it but he had to stand up for his team in that instance. He's usually a quiet man but he was seething at full time. it took all his restraint not to clock the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Just catching it on tg4 and that has to go down as one of the most disgraceful refereeing displays ever. The lad should hang up the whistle. Refs have a tough gig and getting calls wrong is understandable but he got less right that wrong. As for his umpire and the illegal puck out.... I'll say no more.
    Fair play to them. Deserved to win especially given the way they were penalised unfairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Where is the ref from that was the most blatant biased officiating I have ever seen total disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Where is the ref from that was the most blatant biased officiating I have ever seen total disgrace

Laois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭I says

Great win tonight with all that went on with the officiating piss poor actually.
    I can’t see the seniors being as complacent again on Sunday back to basics should carry the day take the points like last year. Jonny Glynn got roasted the last day same as fifteen final he’ll win it in the air but get mangled by kk defenders.
    This is knockout here because I can’t see the losers beating limerick with a six day turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Only caught that deferred and had the result ruined on me beforehand. Still what unbelievable scences. Fair fcuks to them

I says wrote: »
    Great win tonight with all that went on with the officiating piss poor actually.
    I can’t see the seniors being as complacent again on Sunday back to basics should carry the day take the points like last year. Jonny Glynn got roasted the last day same as fifteen final he’ll win it in the air but get mangled by kk defenders.
    This is knockout here because I can’t see the losers beating limerick with a six day turn around.

If we use glynn he needs to alternate with JC with the half back line alternating going to either one. It would put major pressure on any defence to watch them both as defenders will struggle one on one. Leaving him stuck in one position makes the gameplan predictable and easy to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Laois. Originally from Tipp :rolleyes:

threeball wrote: »
    If we use glynn he needs to alternate with JC with the half back line alternating going to either one. It would put major pressure on any defence to watch them both as defenders will struggle one on one. Leaving him stuck in one position makes the gameplan predictable and easy to defend.

The puck out would want to be varied a lot also,high and straight down on top of defenders won’t help.
    I know horgans ref style came in for criticism last Sunday but he does let a game flow JCs opening point in the all Ireland last year how many times was he fouled and he still let it go.
    Also if they did start to switch you say what’s wrong with Glynn doubling on the puck out instead of always going for the catch it will make defenders think and buy him more time when he does catch it. The breaking ball from it becomes 50/50 rather than him getting done for over carrying when he gets smothered by the kk defense.

• Advertisement

Same team as last week only Burke and Mannion moved obviously not expecting them to be as bad again. Kk no change either the mind games begin best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Who's showing the game on TV tomorrow is it on rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

SUNDAY 8 JULY

Throw-in
    Semple Stadium, 3pm

Live blog on RTÉ.ie and the RTÉ News Now App from 2.30pm.

Radio
    Live and exclusive national commentary on Sunday Sport, RTÉ Radio 1 with Brian Carthy and John Mullane.

TV
    The Sunday Game Live on RTÉ One from 2.20pm with expert analysis from Ger Loughnane, Cyril Farrell and Henry Shefflin. Commentary by Marty Morrissey and Michael Duignan.

James Owens reffing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The lads look to be back on form today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

if they play like this for the rest of the season no team will beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Thanks Galway hurlers did us proud today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

Solid display today, was put up to them three times and each time they pinned the ears backs and upped the ante. Kilkenny goals were optimally timed to keep the in touch, but we were stii 7 to the good at the end. One slight concern is the three goals conceeded (notwithstanding the steps taken for the first) - they were of the softish type. Onwards and upwards, I think it could be beat Wexford and Cork for the All Ireland. But wouldn’t be surprised to see the Cats again or Limerick. Two more matches to win for the all Ireland. Good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Congrats to Galway today for a superb display. Only one team can stop ye. Cork. Their speed and skill will cause ye trouble, but I still think ye will have too much for them.

I still think Cork would relish the chance of playing Galway in the final. Galway are at the top of their game but Cork beat great two great Galway teams in 1986 and 1990 so i wouldn't be surprised if that happened again if both teams get to the final first but at the same time I am realistic and know that if Galway turn up on the day they would be extremely hard to beat. I think for any team to beat Galway they would have to force Galway to strike from far out or difficult positions. I think that is Galway weakness. This is a super Galway team with amazing talent and love their hurling. It's a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Seadin wrote: »
    I still think Cork would relish the chance of playing Galway in the final. Galway are at the top of their game but Cork beat great two great Galway teams in 1986 and 1990 so i wouldn't be surprised if that happened again if both teams get to the final first but at the same time I am realistic and know that if Galway turn up on the day they would be extremely hard to beat. I think for any team to beat Galway they would have to force Galway to strike from far out or difficult positions. I think that is Galway weakness. This is a super Galway team with amazing talent and love their hurling. It's a joy to watch.

Different era. That Galway team just had to win a semi final to qualify for the final. I am a big fan of the current system. The game today and last week will be invaluable to this team over the next few weeks.

People continuously talk about history and not beating Cork in a final. Before we joined Leinster we had never beaten Wexford (until 2010), Dublin (until 2015) and Waterford (until 2017). Even regarding Cork we had never beaten them in any final until the minor in 2000. It just means all these old records are there to be beaten!! There is a steel and resolve to this team that I love and they won't take a step backwards any more like Galway teams of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted with that. I know its cliche but this time 4 years back is losing that game. The spine they had to pull away for a second time is great to see.

Niall Burke having two good games back to back, Cathal Mannion in 2015 form, Whelan and Glynn unstoppable.

Daithi Burke once again great but think Tuohy and Hanbury really turned up today.

Big negative is Skehill. No doubt he gives his all but we can't be conceding comical goals.

Minors very impressive too. That O'Shea lad a super forward.

Great atmosphere all day too. Diehards all turned out and roared on the lads even when we were on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

That was one off the sweetest victories in a long time. Galway abu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

The last minute change, putting in Jonny Glynn in there, was a master stroke. What ever Brian Coady had planned,the dynamic had changed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The quality off the bench for Galway is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

still in a state of shock on that kk first goal more rugby than hurling

still in a state of shock on that kk first goal more rugby than hurling

unbelievable that was given as a goal.

Moment of the day was some KK fella shouting at Canning "Hurry up and take the thing" for the free on the sideline (when TJ was penalised for overcarrying).
    It wasn't picked up on T.V but was easily heard all over the ground.

When the ball went over people from all over the old stand stood up and goaded him... shame it wasn't picked up by the cameras/mircophones.

Big negative is Skehill. No doubt he gives his all but we can't be conceding comical goals.

Both the minor goalie and U21 goalie look solid enough which is a plus.

I remember not too long ago we were losing minor games due to having goalies who were well below par for that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Moment of the day was some KK fella shouting at Canning "Hurry up and take the thing" for the free on the sideline (when TJ was penalised for overcarrying). It wasn't picked up on T.V but was easily heard all over the ground. When the ball went over people from all over the old stand stood up and goaded him... shame it wasn't picked up by the cameras/mircophones.

He was behind me
    it was priceless the way the stand turned on him. Even the fact that people individually pointed him out so we all knew who to target our displeasure at....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Moment of the day was some KK fella shouting at Canning "Hurry up and take the thing" for the free on the sideline (when TJ was penalised for overcarrying).

When the ball went over people from all over the old stand stood up and goaded him... shame it wasn't picked up by the cameras/mircophones.

I remember not too long ago we were losing minor games due to having goalies who were well below par for that level.

I remember that well today, their hardcore support in the old stand was flanked by maroon they didn’t like the backlash when the bell went over
    Great support today the team answered all the questions.
    Limerick lie in wait for the cats so the significance of today cannot be underestimated

Great game today, set the tone from the off last weeks kick up the hole worked.
    Owens did his usual head scratching refereeing seriously not up to this level never has been.
    Skehill is a serious liability bourkes and mcinerneys hearts must be in there mouths with him behind them.
    Hanbury stepped up a made some good catches and clearances in 2nd half. The team never folded and handled the pressure well.
    Onwards and upwards

• Advertisement

I like the look of the U21 goalie. Hard to know what MD does if Colm Callanan is back for the semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

donnem33 wrote: »
    Different era. That Galway team just had to win a semi final to qualify for the final. I am a big fan of the current system. The game today and last week will be invaluable to this team over the next few weeks.

People continuously talk about history and not beating Cork in a final. Before we joined Leinster we had never beaten Wexford (until 2010), Dublin (until 2015) and Waterford (until 2017). Even regarding Cork we had never beaten them in any final until the minor in 2000. It just means all these old records are there to be beaten!! There is a steel and resolve to this team that I love and they won't take a step backwards any more like Galway teams of the past.

I keep hearing this about Cork not fearing Galway in a final. Or how Galway can't beat Cork in a final. Mostly from Cork people mind. As if stuff that happened 20 years plus ago has any relevance whatsoever to current events. The majority of this team would've been younger than 12 the last time Cork won an All Ireland. They haven't won near the amount underage as members of this team have.

But the biggest factor is that this Galway side have actually won an All Ireland, and have none of the fear or pressure that Cork have to end what is a famine for that county. If any team is coming into a potential Cork Galway final with nerves or baggage then it's Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I keep hearing this about Cork not fearing Galway in a final. Or how Galway can't beat Cork in a final. Mostly from Cork people mind. As if stuff that happened 20 years plus ago has any relevance whatsoever to current events. The majority of this team would've been younger than 12 the last time Cork won an All Ireland. They haven't won near the amount underage as members of this team have.

But the biggest factor is that this Galway side have actually won an All Ireland, and have none of the fear or pressure that Cork have to end what is a famine for that county. If any team is coming into a potential Cork Galway final with nerves or baggage then it's Cork

But it’s amazing the BS people, even usually sensible people come out with. There’s people on these boards going on about what some lad said 20 years ago as if it has some relevance to anything. Likewise you get the whole “they don’t fear x or y” in the GAA. “Cork love Thurles” or “x team has a bad record at y venue” is more of it.

In any event it’s probably best to wait for the Galway-Cork final to actually happen before debating the toss on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was wondering what that was about; was over towards the Killinan end and everyone stood up pointing over the other way.

I was surprised JC (by his lofty standards) got a nom for MOTM, he usually has to score an incredible point from out near the sideline to get it ....
    oh... wait....
    Cillian Buckley gave him his 'autograph' too for one of his second half points.

Exactly. You can only go on current evidence and I think it all points towards a Galway team that would match cork for pure hurling but absolutely dominate them physically. Galway just have far more routes to victory whereas cork basically would need to run Galway every which way and hope Galway can't defend in numbers or get defenders close enough. Going on all evidence up to now that's not going to happen.

MfMan wrote: »
    Was wondering what that was about; was over towards the Killinan end and everyone stood up pointing over the other way.

I was surprised JC (by his lofty standards) got a nom for MOTM, he usually has to score an incredible point from out near the sideline to get it ....
    oh... wait....
    Cillian Buckley gave him his 'autograph' too for one of his second half points.

It was pretty easy to hear him. I wasn't even in that stand(though I was directly across from it which may have helped).

I remember something similar happening at the 2015 final in a more confined environment and we had a good laugh at that lad too though they had the last laugh that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Exactly. You can only go on current evidence and I think it all points towards a Galway team that would match cork for pure hurling but absolutely dominate them physically. Galway just have far more routes to victory whereas cork basically would need to run Galway every which way and hope Galway can't defend in numbers or get defenders close enough. Going on all evidence up to now that's not going to happen.

You just never know what will happen in a final. Galway are a better team on paper but a Cork team in an All Ireland Final is never a bad team and will make whatever opposition they face earn that title even if that team is better than them on the day. The problem for Cork is they must get there first and have failed in last few years in semi final stage. If they get past that then they will be dangerous and will love the underdog tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

So what's the next stage for the under 21's and minors? Looking good so far in all levels

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

I for one welcome our new hurling overlords!

Smashing display yesterday... you'd worry that they couldn't find that last week, but maybe they needed the kick up the hole to remind them of what they fight for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

puzl wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new hurling overlords!

Smashing display yesterday... you'd worry that they couldn't find that last week, but maybe they needed the kick up the hole to remind them of what they fight for.
    One would hope that they got a bit too full of themselves. It's sh1t or bust from now on too. There's no second chances anymore.

So what's the next stage for the under 21's and minors? Looking good so far in all levels

Minors are on to play Kilkenny in the next round of the round robin. U21's play Tipperary in an All Ireland Semi Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I keep hearing this about Cork not fearing Galway in a final. Or how Galway can't beat Cork in a final. Mostly from Cork people mind.

Ye were red hot favourites in '86, '90, but not in '05, and we won them all. Which is irrelevant as far as the current year goes. No one who knows their hurling in Cork actually believes that ye will suddenly collapse if we meet in the final.

People seem to think Cork are a shoe in for the All Ireland Final, I'm not too sure that any of the Munster teams can take the pressure and physicality that a Galway or a Kilkenny bring gto the game.

I don't think we have seen the last of KK, I can see them still playing us in the Final.

People seem to think Cork are a shoe in for the All Ireland Final, I'm not too sure that any of the Munster teams can take the pressure and physicality that a Galway or a Kilkenny bring gto the game.

I don't think we have seen the last of KK, I can see them still playing us in the Final.

Its iron forging iron in Leinster at the moment. Galway benefited hugely having to play KK so regularly in their pomp and the current team is bearing the fruit and you can have no doubt that now the shoe is on the other foot that KK are gaining huge experience and motivation everytime they meet this current Galway team.

As much as one team stands in the others way they are now mutually beneficial to one another and that will only increase if the underage is added to the mix.

Its iron forging iron in Leinster at the moment. Galway benefited hugely having to play KK so regularly in their pomp and the current team is bearing the fruit and you can have no doubt that now the shoe is on the other foot that KK are gaining huge experience and motivation everytime they meet this current Galway team.

As much as one team stands in the others way they are now mutually beneficial to one another and that will only increase if the underage is added to the mix.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.I think i read a description somewhere of Coady playing us over and over, that he (and they) were like the Borg, that everytime they met you, they were accumulating bits of data and adding and mixing this in for the next show down.

I still think we are in our pomp though, and I'd say this AI, if its against them, we'll come out on top.

But when you factor in the heat, the hardness of the ground, yesterday was some game of Hurling, and we are all the better for having had it, and the drawn game. They'll stand to us in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I heard him over in the other stand.
    Someone mentioned young O'Shea for the minors - He is ex Tipp manager Eamon O'Sheas son.

The new Tony keady affair? Who even noticed the towel. Just watch the gaa fcuk this up.

The new Tony keady affair? Who even noticed the towel. Just watch the gaa fcuk this up.

Nothing to see here but will be blown out of all proportion.
    The young fella that gave the towel to him probably grabbed it out of joes kit bag he or the player himself wouldn’t have even noticed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

They're sure to make a dogs dinner of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement