Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

spurshero wrote: »
    I says wrote: »
    Will callanan be fit for the semi?

Don’t think so but even if he was it would be hard to drop skehill st this stage . I would imagine there is a fair chance that Callahan played his last Galway game last sept !
    What sort of injury is it. Not convinced by Skehill this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

LoveMeSexy wrote: »

The point I was making was that Patrick Sweeney is a far better footballer than most people are giving him credit for. I mean someone claimed there were 25 better forwards in the county... Who? Seriously, name them? I've seen a lot of club football and the notion that there are great footballers not getting a look in is ridiculous.

The 10 on the panel, 4 other Corofin forwards, 4 of the u20 panel, and the full forward line from the Junior team the last day is 21 alone before I start getting into high scoring club players who don't play county for one reason or another. I'll leave this off now, he has a good attitude and works hard. Walsh has just been proven to be wrong on this one though and his while a great manager he has a stubborn streak which has held us back in the past, such as not giving Burke a chance for years, refusal to develop a coherent kick out strategy until this year and being incredibly slow to make substitutes once it's become apparent his starting 15 wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

if kildare had beaten us we would all have a different opinion of Patrick Sweeney and KW, at intercounty level where games are tights these gilt edge goal chances need to be taken. What's galls me, is after he got a lucky rebound in the Kerry game for kicking the ball at a good height for the goalie, he made the same mistakes twice against kildare, either kicking it a savable height or at the goalie so it was obvious that his shooting wasn't worked on between the 2 games. Take Barry McHughs goals during the league for example low and in the corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

cosatron wrote: »
    if kildare had beaten us we would all have a different opinion of Patrick Sweeney and KW, at intercounty level where games are tights these gilt edge goal chances need to be taken. What's galls me, is after he got a lucky rebound in the Kerry game for kicking the ball at a good height for the goalie, he made the same mistakes twice against kildare, either kicking it a savable height or at the goalie so it was obvious that his shooting wasn't worked on between the 2 games. Take Barry McHughs goals during the league for example low and in the corners.

Comer would have been a bigger culprit. Should have passed the ball at the end but went for glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

Hi, if anyone hears of any tickets being sold on for the Dub-Gal train after Saturday’s match will you give me a shout? I thought I had 4 tickets booked for the return but when I called them this morning something had gone wrong with the booking. I’m a bit desperate at the minute so any help would be very very appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Lads some of the comments regarding Patrick Sweeney are over the top . These guys are all amateurs who give up a lot of there time to represent us and the county . And in all fairness both minor and senior teams in both codes are doing us proud . So let’s row on behind all teams collectively for the rest of the season and leave individuals out of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

spurshero wrote:
    Lads some of the comments regarding Patrick Sweeney are over the top . These guys are all amateurs who give up a lot of there time to represent us and the county . And in all fairness both minor and senior teams in both codes are doing us proud . So let’s row on behind all teams collectively for the rest of the season and leave individuals out of it .

Have to totally agree with you on this with some of the jibes from keyboard warriors on here being ridiculous and out of hand.
    Footballers have got enough stick inside the county for last few years when underperforming and about time they started to get some credit from own fans when pundits outside the county are giving us little credit for what this bunch have done since last February. We were favourites for relegation at start of league and the outlook didn't look too positive from lots of fans when they were facing into division 1 less the corofin contingent.

They've proved everyone wrong in nearly all their matches with everyone waiting for their bubble to burst but to go through season with only one defeat to all Ireland champions in Cromer it has to be chalked down as a hugely progressive year irrespective of what happens in next month.

Now let's get behind this team no matter if your north west south or east of the county and support these lads for bringing Galway back to the top table of intercounty football for first time in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

In all fairness, are we not entitled to our opinion on a galway discussion forum, as far as i can see none of the comments were over the top just people saying they dont rate him and perfer other options which they are entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

cosatron wrote: »
    In all fairness, are we not entitled to our opinion on a galway discussion forum, as far as i can see none of the comments were over the top just people saying they dont rate him and perfer other options which they are entitled to do.

I think him being the 25th best forward in the county was a bit ott.

In the heat of the moment I cursed him out of it on Sunday (from my couch) but in hindsight he's getting in the right positions, and just needs a little bit more composure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I think with 3 games left at best, now is not the time of year to be criticising players. They've exceeded all expectations this year and we're not going to change kw's strategy or player choices by giving out about them on a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Galway are in the All Ireland semi-final in both football and hurling.

Life is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd encourage all attending Saturday to get in early for the minors. Very impressive side with a nice spread of clubs too. Eamonn O'Shea's youngster is a promising full-forward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

I'd encourage all attending Saturday to get in early for the minors. Very impressive side with a nice spread of clubs too. Eamonn O'Shea's youngster is a promising full-forward too.

Yes haven’t seen him in the flesh but have heard and read plenty about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Re Shane Walsh, just wondering is being the free taker putting pressure on him, he wasn't up to his usual standard in the last 2 games from play, maybe putting McHugh back in there might help him.

His confidence was likely in bits after the Rossie match I'd say.

meriwether wrote: »
    I think him being the 25th best forward in the county was a bit ott.

In the heat of the moment I cursed him out of it on Sunday (from my couch) but in hindsight he's getting in the right positions, and just needs a little bit more composure.

I didn't mean to be OTT. There's 13-14 forwards on the panel so being the 25th best around isn't that much of a stretch. Anyone's who's read my posts over the last 8 years would know im of the naively optimistic kind and have blindly defended criticised players such as Finian Hanley, Nicky Joyce, Kerin, Kyne, GOD, Bradshaw, Conroy, Flynn, Walsh and Armstrong multiple times in the past when plenty were throwing the boot in. We all want them to win things and plenty of us have solidered through the dark days, we're entitled to our opinions as long as they're reasonable.

GS11 wrote: »
    Re Shane Walsh, just wondering is being the free taker putting pressure on him, he wasn't up to his usual standard in the last 2 games from play, maybe putting McHugh back in there might help him.

He was nominated for motm against Kerry and still influenced the Kildare game with a point and two assists (could've swung both over himself instead) , despite being paid particular attention to, especially in the Kildare game. He's grand

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He was nominated for motm against Kerry and still influenced the Kildare game with a point and two assists (could've swung both over himself instead) , despite being paid particular attention to, especially in the Kildare game. He's grand

He was also man-of-the-match in the Connacht final.

Rumours doing the rounds that daithi Burke fractured his ankle in training lastnight !!!

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Rumours doing the rounds that daithi Burke fractured his ankle in training lastnight !!!

Oh ****e hope it’s false

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Latest I heard is that rumour is false and he’s good to go for Saturday.

These rumours always pop up for semi finals. Think either Mannion or Whelo was meant to have broken their hand this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Daithi didn’t train Tuesday night as a precaution measure more then anything . Due to train this evening and should be sound for Saturday

Daithi didn’t train Tuesday night as a precaution measure more then anything . Due to train this evening and should be sound for Saturday

Everybody pray. Including the atheists.

Team named tonight then so?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

sean555 wrote: »
    Isn’t Ewan from Kildare? Sore loser is Ewan then.

This Galway team taking serious abuse in media from all angles. Between not getting credit for their wins and performances and the negativity to their style of play.
    It's not Kevin Walsh's place to retaliate to this criticism but it's about time some of the ex players who appear in media come out and back up this team and respond to this constant criticism to their performances and style of play.

You seen Damien Hayes response to Jackie Tyrrell's comments calling the hurlers a team of rugby players due to their size. That's what we need former colleagues of these players backing their own countymen.
    Whether it's Dublin Donegal or Tyrone we play in semi final you can be damn sure that their county pundits will be calling on refs to keep a close eye on the Galway players for off the ball niggles and referees are only human and can be influenced by such comments.

Our whole fullback line are marked men at the moment and this media attention won't help our cause especially with Sean Andy being 1 black card away from picking up a 1 match ban.

This Galway team taking serious abuse in media from all angles. Between not getting credit for their wins and performances and the negativity to their style of play.
    It's not Kevin Walsh's place to retaliate to this criticism but it's about time some of the ex players who appear in media come out and back up this team and respond to this constant criticism to their performances and style of play.

You seen Damien Hayes response to Jackie Tyrrell's comments calling the hurlers a team of rugby players due to their size. That's what we need former colleagues of these players backing their own countymen.
    Whether it's Dublin Donegal or Tyrone we play in semi final you can be damn sure that their county pundits will be calling on refs to keep a close eye on the Galway players for off the ball niggles and referees are only human and can be influenced by such comments.

Our whole fullback line are marked men at the moment and this media attention won't help our cause especially with Sean Andy being 1 black card away from picking up a 1 match ban.

Its beyond a joke at this stage. No credit given to any win. We beat mayo, they talked about what happened mayo. We beat roscommon, they asked why did roscommon flop, we beat Kerry, why did Kerry underperform. The media build a narrative and they stick to it as if to say we didn't call this wrong they just had an off day.

The other narrative they've built is that we're dour and defensive. If that we're the case why are we running up close to 20pts a game and when a lower level team comes our way we smash them. How does a dour defensive team turn around a dire situation in 20mins in a connacht final.

The media have called it wrong all year and it doesn't suit them to say so. Off the ball on Monday discussed all of the weekends games except the Galway one. They talked Donegal roscommon and ignored the game of the round. Absolute joke at this stage. I'd love to see this team shove the whole lot down people's throats in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

One way to shut them up. Get to the All Ireland final and perform.
    For too many years we have been fancy dan's. Nice teams win friends not honours. Every team needs a nasty streak. Kilkenny and Tipp in hurling Kerry Dublin Mayo and all northern teams have it. Bite or be bitten

Love the notion that we played the "right kind of football" when we were getting knocked out by Westmeath, Meath, Wexford, Cork, Donegal and Antrim to name just a few.

Utter nonsense that the style we play now is witchcraft in comparison.

• Advertisement

Ah stop, that would be a disaster. These rumours always happen coming near big games.

No team named tonight?

Any idea about any extra bus service being put on by the likes of go bus? I appreciate I left it late to book but the only return journey left with go bus is the last one of the night. Have the trip up booked. Wouldn’t usually mind waiting around but have a going away party to go to was hoping to be back in Galway for 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

He's an expert at spotting off the ball cynicism from his couch in Brazil. Incredible how a piece this biased could be printed but that's his shtick. I don't approve of off the ball stuff but it's always been a part of every sport and will always be, this is just sour grapes.

Strong rumours now that Daithi is hurt. The team not being named last night doesn't point to good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Redo91 wrote: »
    Any idea about any extra bus service being put on by the likes of go bus? I appreciate I left it late to book but the only return journey left with go bus is the last one of the night. Have the trip up booked. Wouldn’t usually mind waiting around but have a going away party to go to was hoping to be back in Galway for 10!

Citylink available

christy c wrote: »

Citylink available

Checked again and there appears to be Go Bus available again. Booked the 7:15 bus home so a bit of a dash after the game but should have about 30 minutes or so. Am I right in saying there will be no extra time tomorrow and it will go straight to a replay?

Checked again and there appears to be Go Bus available again. Booked the 7:15 bus home so a bit of a dash after the game but should have about 30 minutes or so. Am I right in saying there will be no extra time tomorrow and it will go straight to a replay?

There is ET if required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Any word on Daithi?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Xoshinho

There is extra time to be played if necessary. All-Ireland final only 3 weeks away. They have really messed up their scheduling this year.

• Advertisement

There is ET if required

Oh ****! Could be in a spot of bother then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    He's an expert at spotting off the ball cynicism from his couch in Brazil. Incredible how a piece this biased could be printed but that's his shtick. I don't approve of off the ball stuff but it's always been a part of every sport and will always be, this is just sour grapes.

No praise for Comer, who had the discipline not to strike out at the defender who was hanging out of him. Very one sided article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Any word on Daithi?

Apparently he was 50/50 last weekend but it looks like he'll start the game anyway. Probably on painkillers though. He's definitely carrying a knock.

rgace wrote: »
    No praise for Comer, who had the discipline not to strike out at the defender who was hanging out of him. Very one sided article

Thats the key point. Galway getting very much the same treatment from other teams yet have the cop on not to lash out. Comer has 3 lads dragging out of him every game. Dublin full back line gave him plenty of it in the two games this year. Has he lamped anyone, no. He knows better as do the rest of the team. A witch hunt from a sh1t journalist with an axe to grind.

Apparently he was 50/50 last weekend but it looks like he'll start the game anyway. Probably on painkillers though. He's definitely carrying a knock.

Hanbury to full back if Daithi's not fit? Who goes in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

threeball wrote:
    Hanbury to full back if Daithi's not fit? Who goes in the corner.

Killeen

Aravo wrote: »
    Killeen

No pace

I says wrote: »
    No pace

Needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

I says wrote:
    No pace

Toughness is a good attribute for a corner back. Noel Connors probably would not win the 100m at the Olympics but would the others be able to get past him if he was throwing himself about. Sure it's a wait and see on the day for the actual lineup.

• Advertisement

meriwether wrote:
    Strong rumours now that Daithi is hurt. The team not being named last night doesn't point to good things.

Wouldn't read anything into that. They're always going to name him in starting 15 and will replace him before throw in if he's not fit. Not a chance of them naming a weakened side that could give Clare psychological edge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement