Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Galway always name team Friday night as far as I recall.

E.g. https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-team-to-play-kilkenny-announced/

Published Friday night before kk replay.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-team-to-play-wexford-announced/

Published Friday night before Wexford game.

Still expect Burke to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Skehill
    Tuohy
    Daithi
    Hanbury
    Padraic Mannion
    GMac
    Harte
    Coen
    David Burke
    Joseph Cooney
    Canning
    Glynn
    Whelan
    Conor Cooney
    Cathal Mannion

Best of luck to the lads and hopefully we'll be talking about a win this time tomorrow. Safe travels to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

To quote the American President re the Burke story "It's fake news"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1 adult lower Cusack ticket for sale for today. Face value €45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Danger here. Worried about Clare's pace and hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

If Tony Kelly has a stormer today I think Galway could be up against it.

He is a Matchwinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to the minors and seniors today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

After overhearing someone on the bus up saying Daithi Burke is out??

Absolutely brutal by Coen leaving a free puck short from that distance.

Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

We should have this game well won by now. I'll be sick if we lose this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We might regret all those wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

We might regret all those wides.

You will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You will.

Well unless you have a crystal ball that tells the future in front of you you don't know that so let's wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Some amount of wides by us. Thought Clare left it behind. Don't think Galway will play as bad as that next week. Injuries/recoveries will be crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Some amount of wides by us. Thought Clare left it behind. Don't think Galway will play as bad as that next week. Injuries/recoveries will be crucial.

And the ref as bad as I’ve seen since he reffed is against Kilkenny in tullamore in 13 the John oxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Unbelievable attitude to come back from two down with four minutes to go with Canning Burke McInerney and Whelan all off. Regardless of how the year pans out, they won’t be found wanting for character.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

I am very pessimistic about our prospects without those players.

Dejected after that.

Too many times in the past few seasons we've played like that.

Wexford x2/Limerick/ Cork/ Dublin in the league, Kilkenny this year.

Most of those days were in the league but its happened a few times outside of that.

In the majority of those games it was like we had one less attacker and one less defender.

Every ball in attack was a 40/60 and every ball won against us in ours was 60/40 with the attacker well in front of a low ball.

I don't think we're any better than the pack now, that Clare team aren't up to much.
    We're capable of playing better than any team in patches but also capable of playing far worse than anyone else... Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

While we don't usually throw two of those performances together with the injury list I think our goose is cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A trip back to that kip town of Thurles is truly a sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Let Kirwan ref it and we may as well not turn up.

• Advertisement

Any idea when the replay is fixed for? Heard Saturday but surely the GAA won’t fix two Galway matches for the one day?!

well ye had yer chances not to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Redo91 wrote: »
    Any idea when the replay is fixed for? Heard Saturday but surely the GAA won’t fix two Galway matches for the one day?!

Sunday, 2pm in Thurles.

Thanks. Was wondering what happen. Fair play for clearing that up. We had chances. Very insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

How bad are our injuries. Was at the game so couldn't tell how bad they were. Looks like Daithi was carrying something throughout the match which could come against us next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

How bad are the injuries? I think Clare are favourites now. Left it behind.

threeball wrote:
    How bad are our injuries. Was at the game so couldn't tell how bad they were. Looks like Daithi was carrying something throughout the match which could come against us next week.

Mc and Tuhoy look the worst. Daithi is well documented. He had injections to play so it will depend what happens when that wears off. Joe hard to tell. Seemed to strain himself diving for that ball. Fingers crossed they'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Dejected after that.

Too many times in the past few seasons we've played like that.

Wexford x2/Limerick/ Cork/ Dublin in the league, Kilkenny this year.

Most of those days were in the league but its happened a few times outside of that.

In the majority of those games it was like we had one less attacker and one less defender.

Every ball in attack was a 40/60 and every ball won against us in ours was 60/40 with the attacker well in front of a low ball.

I don't think we're any better than the pack now, that Clare team aren't up to much.
    We're capable of playing better than any team in patches but also capable of playing far worse than anyone else... Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

While we don't usually throw two of those performances together with the injury list I think our goose is cooked.
    Why are you always so negative ? We don’t have a divine right to win the all Ireland . In the second half of extra Time we were 2 points down without whelan gearoid Mc canning and David Burke and we came back to lead and were leading when 3 Added mins were up . But unlike normal time when the ref blew when we were in possession he gave Clare the 45 secs and the chance to draw . Having said all that surely we should have kept it in play up there end rather then putting the
    Sideline over there endline to give them the quick puck out .

How bad are the injuries? I think Clare are favourites now. Left it behind.

Galway are always beatable I feel when they aren't playing well. Expect Clare to come out on top next day with few points to spare. just my thoughts.

• Advertisement

Mc and Tuhoy look the worst. Daithi is well documented. He had injections to play so it will depend what happens when that wears off. Joe hard to tell. Seemed to strain himself diving for that ball. Fingers crossed they'll be ok.

Mc looked like an ankle? What happened Tuohy? Can't see Daithi being ok after 100mins of that. It'll be up like a balloon, surely.

Galway are always beatable I feel when they aren't playing well. Expect Clare to come out on top next day with few points to spare. just my thoughts.

Well paddy power have Clare at 2 to 1.maybe you and your thoughts should make some easy cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

I’ll find out tomorrow when the walking wounded present at the Galway clinic

spurshero wrote: »
    Why are you always so negative ? We don’t have a divine right to win the all Ireland . In the second half of extra Time we were 2 points down without whelan gearoid Mc canning and David Burke and we came back to lead and were leading when 3 Added mins were up . But unlike normal time when the ref blew when we were in possession he gave Clare the 45 secs and the chance to draw . Having said all that surely we should have kept it in play up there end rather then putting the

Why are you always so argumentative?.

I didn't see a single Galway person happy with today.

We're the AI champions playing a team who can't even win a Munster.

It was a poor performance. This is an internet forum. They're not kids playing.

If you don't like the posts, go post in the Tottenham Hotspurs thread.

Redo91 wrote: »

Sunday, 2pm in Thurles.
    Cheers. Any idea when tickets go on sale? I’d imagine it will sell out very quick.

threeball wrote:
    Mc looked like an ankle? What happened Tuohy? Can't see Daithi being ok after 100mins of that. It'll be up like a balloon, surely.

Ankle would be better than a hamstring.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He gave them the 45 seconds because of Galway time wasting in fairness.

Amazingly, they're not going to blow teams away every day. Moaning won't change it. They did well to come back when out on their feet and carrying injuries.

I post where I want . Winning last years all Ireland dosent give us a divine right to this years . The way your talking ya think we were playing nobodies. A fair portion of that Clare team have as many all Ireland’s as our players . As I already said to come from 2 points down in second half of extra time missing 4 very important players to lead deserves a bit of credit . And we Defo came out the wrong end of a few referee decisions .

awec wrote: »
    He gave them the 45 seconds because of Galway time wasting in fairness.

And there wasn’t 10 seconds of time wasting in second half of normal time when we were just going on attack ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

And there wasn’t 10 seconds of time wasting in second half of normal time when we were just going on attack ??

I thought that was added on due to the Clare goalie being down for a good bit of time during/just before the extra time was announced over PA. I just assumed it hadn't been factored in. Didn't really notice much time wasting out of the ordinary by Galway to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If they are factoring the goalie in then out the full extra minute on it. It's always done in full minutes. Ref was just being fraudulent to the paying supporters and engineering a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

If they are factoring the goalie in then out the full extra minute on it. It's always done in full minutes. Ref was just being fraudulent to the paying supporters and engineering a draw.

I might be biased but I thought he was brutal the whole game so it would not surprise me!!

Anyone here anything about the U21 game next Saturday? Surely that has to be called off now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

testtech05 wrote: »

I might be biased but I thought he was brutal the whole game so it would not surprise me!!

In general when I have seen him I always feel like he has whistled Clare of the park so I hate to see him reffing our matches. For what it is worth I didn't have that feeling today so much even though I also thought he was very poor today. Had a great view from upper deck he lets defenders away with absolute murder off the ball before it comes in, be it a pushs in the back holding the man/hurl but I though for both teams myself.

On the additional time I did think there was plenty of stoppages like Tuoheys injury and a bit of time wasting the missed galway hawkeye free (seriously how long does it take to dry a hurl) but if am honest if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be raging at the extra 45 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

We only have ourselves to blame really for throwing it away today and I wouldnt have begrudged Clare the win but honestly in terms of the bigger picture if the GAA want to give the game the credibility it deserves this nonsense with timekeeping needs to end. This isnt sour grapes on today we benefitted from it against Kilkenny in 2012 when we got a ridiculous that shouldn't have been at the death and it was blown up straight on the puck out and in the first day of the leinster final when Fergal Horgan avoided throwing the ball in to make sure neither team were going to get a chance to win.

The philosophy of if it's level close to the allotted time so we are making a draw of it and if there's a point in it we'll keep playing because one team deserves a chance to level makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I know people will say it's a minimum of 3 but I think we've all seen too many games over the years where the time is suited to the needs of the GAA for that argument to hold up.

In ladies football with small attendances they managed a hooter system which takes away any complaints in thay regard. It mightn't be as practical for hurling but this manufacturing of draws to squeeze more money out of the ordinary supporter is beyond a laugh at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Having said all that surely we should have kept it in play up there end rather then putting the

Couldn't understand that myself, why not keep possession and maybe even work another shooting chance? We basically handed Clare the ball back and there was always a chance the ref would give them one more attack. To Clare's credit they took advantage but from a Galway perspective it was poor decision making at a crucial moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Very poor from Galway with that final play. And no one thought to stop the play in Clare's half..a foul at that stage and Galway could have realigned and reset. What that match has shown is Leinster hurling is way way off Munster and Galway were fooled by beating 3 bad teams. Galway are a good side but not as good as we thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

They really need to work on there accuracy too many wides is Conor Whelan on 21 team any others

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Very poor from Galway with that final play. And no one thought to stop the play in Clare's half..a foul at that stage and Galway could have realigned and reset. What that match has shown is Leinster hurling is way way off Munster and Galway were fooled by beating 3 bad teams. Galway are a good side but not as good as we thought.

Easy to say that sitting on your couch. After 100 mins of top end hurling, losing 3 key players and at least 3 others not playing well then it's not so easy to do. And to say Leinster is way off munster when limerick scraped by kk and Clare didn't beat Galway shows the bias off your post. Try bring slightly impartial.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Couldn't understand that myself, why not keep possession and maybe even work another shooting chance? We basically handed Clare the ball back and there was always a chance the ref would give them one more attack. To Clare's credit they took advantage but from a Galway perspective it was poor decision making at a crucial moment.

Clare had everyone covered on the sideline so a short one would have been risky and more than likely turned over. Putting the ball dead was the right thing to do but Galway should have used to time to go man to man and make sure there was no fast puckout. Easy to say when you're legs aren't falling off your however.

Unfortunately next week could be decided before we take the field depending on how the injuries go. I've never seen a team lose the entire spine in one game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement