Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The philosophy of if it's level close to the allotted time so we are making a draw of it and if there's a point in it we'll keep playing because one team deserves a chance to level makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I know people will say it's a minimum of 3 but I think we've all seen too many games over the years where the time is suited to the needs of the GAA for that argument to hold up.

In ladies football with small attendances they managed a hooter system which takes away any complaints in thay regard. It mightn't be as practical for hurling but this manufacturing of draws to squeeze more money out of the ordinary supporter is beyond a laugh at this stage.

It was 30 seconds between when the umpire called for hawkeye and when the ref blew his whistle. The point was scored I think 37 seconds after the three minutes were up. David Fitzgerald had the ball on the halfway line when that 30 seconds was up, it would have been very harsh for him to blow at that point and I think if the shoe was on the other foot ye would feel the same.

Your point may have merit in general but don't think it applies to yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyone here anything about the U21 game next Saturday? Surely that has to be called off now.

So next Saturday Galway have:
    Senior Hurling replay: 2pm Thurles
    U21 Semi-final:2pm Ennis
    Senior Football:6pm Salthill
    Senior Camogie:7:15 Páirc Ui Chaoimh
    The latter one is baffling for a lot of reasons, I know it’s live on RTE but why drag Dublin and Galway to Cork at such a late time especially when the Senior footballers will still be playing, very harsh on anyone involved with the Camogie team with young kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

patmac wrote: »
    So next Saturday Galway have:
    Senior Hurling replay: 2pm Thurles
    U21 Semi-final:2pm Ennis
    Senior Football:6pm Salthill
    Senior Camogie:7:15 Páirc Ui Chaoimh
    The latter one is baffling for a lot of reasons, I know it’s live on RTE but why drag Dublin and Galway to Cork at such a late time especially when the Senior footballers will still be playing, very harsh on anyone involved with the Camogie team with young kids.

The hurling replay is on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Very poor from Galway with that final play. And no one thought to stop the play in Clare's half..a foul at that stage and Galway could have realigned and reset. What that match has shown is Leinster hurling is way way off Munster and Galway were fooled by beating 3 bad teams. Galway are a good side but not as good as we thought.
    Good team not a great team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Minors in a lot of trouble against Clare. 8-3 at half time. Only thing going for Galway is they can't play much worse and the breeze is pretty strong.

Level game with the minors 9-9 after 13 minutes

Starie1975 wrote:
    I'll get the ball rolling

Starie1975 wrote:
    Would it be possible to start up a Galway GAA discussion thread for both hurling and football?

Minors come good in the end. Winning 18 points to 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Level game with the minors 9-9 after 13 minutes

Big comeback. 18-11 now to Galway.

Big comeback. 18-11 now to Galway.

Was a good win for playing so bad. Cooley didn't score. Hallaron struggled. And Sean Kelly's younger brother wasn't on the 24 (guessing he was injured) big step up against Meath the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Pleased to see these lads get gametime in Croke Park. Galway messed up the quarter final last year would have been a pity not to get to Croke Park after winning Connacht. Hopefully will be a double header with seniors if things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

50% success rate of our own puck outs yesterday tell it's own story.

Clare anhilated us with their short puck outs to the half back line too.

Our sweeper was fairly redundant, offered very little.

Looks like Mc has a torn calf. That's a no for Sunday and possibly the year if we manage to get passed Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

The under 21 game has been pushed back to the following week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Looks like Mc has a torn calf. That's a no for Sunday and possibly the year if we manage to get passed Clare.

Massive loss. We might survive if he's the only casualty but it's probably not going to be the case.

Can't understand why we were so one dimensional yesterday. Everything went through Glynn and even though it did we played no one under him. Haven't seen us play to such a limited gameplan in a long time.

threeball wrote:
    Massive loss. We might survive if he's the only casualty but it's probably not going to be the case.

threeball wrote:
    Can't understand why we were so one dimensional yesterday. Everything went through Glynn and even though it did we played no one under him. Haven't seen us play to such a limited gameplan in a long time.

Totally agree. We won an All Ireland last year without needed to play that way. Whelan and especially Conor Cooney is struggling with the tactic. Cody always said the team that learns the most wins replays. Galway have a lot to learn. Marking zones on puck outs worked for the first period but fair play to Clare they stuck with it and eventually it began to turn the game. Would like to see Galway go man to man rather than gamble with trying to get interceptions. Need to force Clare to go longer. Who to replace Mc with is open to interpretation. I'm sure most would say Killeen. I'm not sure if it's necessary. I'd go with Loftus and tell him to follow Kelly everywhere. But that only works if Galvin drops sweeper and Kelly goes midfield and deeper. I know Gavin got on ball but equally Kelly got on too much around his own 45. Can't allow Kelly and Galvin to drop deep without someone following one of them. It's leaving 8 on 6 and made it easier for them to get good ball up to their forwards. Forward play needs to be varied. Skehill needs better puck outs. Mannion needs to mark Duggan. Joseph Cooney, David Burke, Johnny Coen and Cathal Mannion need to make midfield four barrier to stop the short play. The wides speak for themselves. I was distraught yesterday. Not much better today. Last ten minutes of normal time was the most disorganised crazy hurling I've seen in a long time. Hopefully we can dictate things a bit better in Thurles. Semple Stadium and no Hawkeye would of been nice too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Watching today's game and being at yesterday's match the difference between us and other three teams on puck outs is shocking. We only had one plan all day yesterday which was to go long to wing forward position to Glynn or cooney who were standing waiting there and Clare didn't even have to think as knew what was coming. Not once did we have a runner giving skehill an option for something different. It's obviously not a strategy and donoghue feels that our physical strength will allow us win primary possession. However the game is becoming more about retaining possession which we saw from today's game and it's a part of the game which we need to bring into our gameplan.

Don't know if skehill has it in his game to mix it up with quick short puck outs so may be something for donoghue to look out for in young keepers around the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Totally agree. We won an All Ireland last year without needed to play that way. Whelan and especially Conor Cooney is struggling with the tactic. Cody always said the team that learns the most wins replays. Galway have a lot to learn. Marking zones on puck outs worked for the first period but fair play to Clare they stuck with it and eventually it began to turn the game. Would like to see Galway go man to man rather than gamble with trying to get interceptions. Need to force Clare to go longer. Who to replace Mc with is open to interpretation. I'm sure most would say Killeen. I'm not sure if it's necessary. I'd go with Loftus and tell him to follow Kelly everywhere. But that only works if Galvin drops sweeper and Kelly goes midfield and deeper. I know Gavin got on ball but equally Kelly got on too much around his own 45. Can't allow Kelly and Galvin to drop deep without someone following one of them. It's leaving 8 on 6 and made it easier for them to get good ball up to their forwards. Forward play needs to be varied. Skehill needs better puck outs. Mannion needs to mark Duggan. Joseph Cooney, David Burke, Johnny Coen and Cathal Mannion need to make midfield four barrier to stop the short play. The wides speak for themselves. I was distraught yesterday. Not much better today. Last ten minutes of normal time was the most disorganised crazy hurling I've seen in a long time. Hopefully we can dictate things a bit better in Thurles. Semple Stadium and no Hawkeye would of been nice too!

Completely agree. I think if we had the full complement we'd win this similar to the Leinster final but it's not looking like we will have the full team and we don't have depth in the backs like we do the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

mjp wrote: »
    Watching today's game and being at yesterday's match the difference between us and other three teams on puck outs is shocking.
    Not once did we have a runner giving skehill an option for something different. It's obviously not a strategy and donoghue feels that our physical strength will allow us win primary possession.

Don't know if skehill has it in his game to mix it up with quick short puck outs so may be something for donoghue to look out for in young keepers around the county.

There lies our biggest problem and another reason IMO we are not killing teams off. Skehill is not able to do short puck outs. Numerous times yesterday and in the Leinster final the short puck out was on and he went long. Too easy to predict
    Also I think we have to look at what Harte is bringing to the team when he is given the free role /sweeper role. Doesn't pick up good defensive positions and also has poor delivery to the forwards. Need to get loftus into that position quick
    Worried about the replay. We look a tired team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Robson99 wrote: »
    There lies our biggest problem and another reason IMO we are not killing teams off. Skehill is not able to do short puck outs. Numerous times yesterday and in the Leinster final the short puck out was on and he went long. Too easy to predict
    Also I think we have to look at what Harte is bringing to the team when he is given the free role /sweeper role. Doesn't pick up good defensive positions and also has poor delivery to the forwards. Need to get loftus into that position quick
    Worried about the replay. We look a tired team

The Clare backs were able to push and shove lads out of position before the balls rained down, so they won loads of them. Glynn was the only one not being pushed off the ball but when he caught them he usually was isolated with no-one to pass to.
    The ref was brutal. When Joe got pulled across the back of his legs we were a point up and that would have been a scoreable free. Instead Clare went down and took a point. We would have been 2 up in normal time then, leaving them needing a goal. The "free" at the end was called as "soft" by every analyst as well. If its a free, you have to give them all, every single one.
    It'll be a huge test of the panel strength next weekend. Limerick won their match off the bench. Who would Galway call into the 26 of the three lads are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

jacool wrote: »
    The Clare backs were able to push and shove lads out of position before the balls rained down, so they won loads of them. Glynn was the only one not being pushed off the ball but when he caught them he usually was isolated with no-one to pass to.
    The ref was brutal. When Joe got pulled across the back of his legs we were a point up and that would have been a scoreable free. Instead Clare went down and took a point. We would have been 2 up in normal time then, leaving them needing a goal. The "free" at the end was called as "soft" by every analyst as well. If its a free, you have to give them all, every single one.
    It'll be a huge test of the panel strength next weekend. Limerick won their match off the bench. Who would Galway call into the 26 of the three lads are out?

To be fair the ref was poor for both teams. It was frustrating and inconsistent.

There were one or two dangerous pulls that went unpunished from both sides.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Watching today's game and being at yesterday's match the difference between us and other three teams on puck outs is shocking. We only had one plan all day yesterday which was to go long to wing forward position to Glynn or cooney who were standing waiting there and Clare didn't even have to think as knew what was coming. Not once did we have a runner giving skehill an option for something different. It's obviously not a strategy and donoghue feels that our physical strength will allow us win primary possession. However the game is becoming more about retaining possession which we saw from today's game and it's a part of the game which we need to bring into our gameplan.

When Clares gameplan of running and laying off the ball worked it was lovely to watch. Caught us flatfooted a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody when did tickets for the replay go on sale ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tix out now. No clubs getting them. Tickets.ie or centra/supervalu only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Tix out now. No clubs getting them. Tickets.ie or centra/supervalu only.
    Doesn’t say on Tickets.ie that they are on sale yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

Redo91 wrote: »

Been on sale since 11.30.

When Clares gameplan of running and laying off the ball worked it was lovely to watch. Caught us flatfooted a fair bit.

Allowing them to pick a man so easily from their own puck outs killed Galway. They were building attacks without being touched.

Redo91 wrote: »

Been on sale since 11.30.
    Cheers got on now. Wasn’t showing up on the GAA website but found the tickets when I went on tickets.ie.

Over 4,000 people in the queue ahead of me so not sure if there will be any left.

djPSB wrote: »
    Allowing them to pick a man so easily from their own puck outs killed Galway. They were building attacks without being touched.

Yeah, that was very obvious and disappointing from our point of view.

I see none of our forwards made the GAA hurling team of the week either. Bit unusual given that we scored so much, but i suppose there was a lot of high quality on display over the two games.

Yeah, that was very obvious and disappointing from our point of view.

I see none of our forwards made the GAA hurling team of the week either. Bit unusual given that we scored so much, but i suppose there was a lot of high quality on display over the two games.

There's a few questionable inclusions on that team.

Canning surely has to make it. 4 points from play and two outrageous sidelines.

djPSB wrote:

Joe is always held to a different standard to the rest of the world. Whelan came up with massive points when needed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Over 5 and a half thousand ahead of me now. Highly unlikely there'll be any left I'd say

macslash wrote: »
    Over 5 and a half thousand ahead of me now. Highly unlikely there'll be any left I'd say

Sure it holds 46,000.

There's a few questionable inclusions on that team.

I was seated behind him for one of them. He curled it in beautifully using the wind.

Absolutely outstanding.

macslash wrote: »

Sure it holds 46,000.
    I saw someone else saying it holds in the mid-50s which seems very high.

Sure it holds 46,000.

Well I know that! But I doubt everyone is buying singles and never mind the people getting them in the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

My local centra tickets were gone got sorted in super value left the que with Ive 5000 ahead of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Got two old stand in supervalu

Says on the tickets.ie website that the stand is now sold out. I’m due on the website at 2:05 apparently so hopefully terrace is still available by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FoxHouse

Just Town End available now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Any chance they rethink Thurles? I'd say tickets will be gone by the time I move up the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

h2005 wrote: »
    Any chance they rethink Thurles? I'd say tickets will be gone by the time I move up the queue

Very much doubt that. Croke Park is not available because Dublin / Ros & Mayo / Kildare (U20) is scheduled there on Sunday. They wont move the hurling to Saturday as it will clash with Galway / Monaghan football match. I guess they could move it to the bank holiday Monday which apparently is where a replay for Limerick / Cork would have taken place. However, I'd imagine its gonna be Thurles as fixed now.

Got two tickets for the Town End. Was queuing for about an hour and a half but at least you can do it in the background. Still Killanin end left when I was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway's record in semi-finals the past 4 years shows how tight the margins are now.

1 point win
    1 point defeat
    1 point win
    Draw after extra time

Any word on the walking wounded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Was feckin checking gaa.tickets.ie regularly enough only for them not to show there for some reason.
    Gonna make a quick dash to supervalu now and see if I can get a pair. A few friends caught out by that also.

• Advertisement

Clubs are being provided with €15 discounted tickets. Max 50 per club.

Got Killanin end. Roll on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Clubs are being provided with €15 discounted tickets. Max 50 per club.

clare and galway or just galway?

where did you hear this?

need more info - there are 6,326 people ahead of me in the queue...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

mad ted got tickets for terrace in supervalu talk about a balls up announcing it. they were meant to go on sale 2pm seemed to go on sale instead at 12.
    btw the forecast is a scorcher 26c sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

ablelocks wrote: »
    clare and galway or just galway?

where did you hear this?

need more info - there are 6,326 people ahead of me in the queue...!

Clubs in both counties. Have seen numerous clubs posting about it on social media.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement