Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Supervalu get allocated big batches of them at a time

Be well worth checking the nearest supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FoxHouse

Would it be fairly straightforward to swap two Town End for two Killanin End? Accidentally bought for wrong end :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭I says

I says wrote: »
    I’ll find out tomorrow when the walking wounded present at the Galway clinic

Nothing yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

GerryMc deffo out for rest of season. Whelan is ok. Canning/Touhy/DBurke are doubtful but time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Was feckin checking gaa.tickets.ie regularly enough only for them not to show there for some reason.
    Gonna make a quick dash to supervalu now and see if I can get a pair. A few friends caught out by that also.

I was doing the same think - checking gaa.ie/tickets..... fecking gobsh!ites not even updating their own website....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

GerryMc deffo out for rest of season. Whelan is ok. Canning/Touhy/DBurke are doubtful but time will tell.
    Heard Gearoid has a torn calf alright. No idea about the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Fergal Horgan (Tipperary) has been confirmed as referee for Sunday, he most recently refereed our AI Final in September V Waterford, RTÉ showed a good programme on him & the build up to the final shortly afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DVDM93 wrote:
    Fergal Horgan (Tipperary) has been confirmed as referee for Sunday, he most recently refereed our AI Final in September V Waterford, RTÉ showed a good programme on him & the build up to the final shortly afterward.

Not fond of him.

I can see Clare supporters outnumbering us down here on Sunday.

A replay is expensive enough as it is for those of us who were in HQ on Saturday, combine that with our footballers being out the day before & it being race week in the county, it might prove too costly for some.

Between that, the injuries & playing a Munster team down in Thurles, and a fine Clare team at that and a team with their tails up, Sunday will be a real rest of character.

Gaillimh Abú & I'm going down to Thurles on Sunday with full belief out lads can do it.

Those who have gotten tickets, where are ye?

Bar the stand of course, the majority of Clare support seem to usually end up in The Kilannin End, 4 of us will be in the Town End.

Sold out I’m hearing what a balls up by the gaa again supposed to go on sale at 2 started selling them at 12 I’d say fcuk all have got tickets in Galway for it

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I can see Clare supporters outnumbering us down here on Sunday.

A replay is expensive enough as it is for those of us who were in HQ on Saturday, combine that with our footballers being out the day before & it being race week in the county, it might prove too costly for some.

Between that, the injuries & playing a Munster team down in Thurles, and a fine Clare team at that and a team with their tails up, Sunday will be a real rest of character.

Gaillimh Abú & I'm going down to Thurles on Sunday with full belief out lads can do it.

Those who have gotten tickets, where are ye?

Bar the stand of course, the majority of Clare support seem to usually end up in The Kilannin End, 4 of us will be in the Town End.

New stand Killinan end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Babs Keating at the races, did an interview on Galway Bay.

He'd want timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Getting excited now again for Sunday, but all the injuries have me worried. The people saying G Mc is defo out, how sure are ye of this? I can see Loftus starting regardless. A lot of lads will have to up their game from Saturday. The two Cooney's didn't get into it all.
    I suppose the momentum has to be with Clare now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

djPSB wrote: »
    Babs Keating at the races, did an interview on Galway Bay.

He'd want timber.

He's a dinosaur. Someone should have tipped him out the window using Jonny Glynns gloves. He said even worse about Tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

macslash wrote: »
    Getting excited now again for Sunday, but all the injuries have me worried. The people saying G Mc is defo out, how sure are ye of this?

Torn calf muscle. 4-6 weeks. Gone for semi and final if we get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Seen joe in oranmore today . Had the big leg boot thing on . 50 50
    At best I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

spurshero wrote: »
    At best I say

He's been cleared to play according to Indo. Tuohy and Whelo expected to be sound for Sunday too. They've didn't rule Mac out but that calf tear has been the talk to the town so that's him out for a month plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »
    At best I say

Apparently he had that on last week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

threeball wrote: »
    Apparently he had that on last week too.

Oranmore can be a tough spot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 FoxHouse

Does anyone have two Killinan End tickets that they would do a straight swap for Town End? Trying to keep family together at match - or can you access either end with terrace tickets? Been to Thurles plenty of times just never the terrace before. Any suggestions for how swap/approach welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You can't move between the terraces in Thurles. They are totally separate. Ask on the Clare GAA thread also. But it's the Killinan end that Clare traditionally use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Will the Galway v Clare match be on tv? Think the Donegal v Tyrone game is on at 3.30 too...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

Gal44 wrote: »
    Will the Galway v Clare match be on tv? Think the Donegal v Tyrone game is on at 3.30 too...

Yeah, one of them is on RTE 1 and the other on RTE 2 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Gal44 wrote: »

Ya it will be and the Dub/Ros game on RTÉ news now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What would happen if it's a draw next Sunday ? Another replay or that free taking penalty thing.

Highly unlikely but ya never know !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

statesaver wrote: »
    What would happen if it's a draw next Sunday ? Another replay or that free taking penalty thing.

Highly unlikely but ya never know !

An arm wrestling contest between Ger Loughnanne and Cyril Farrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

djPSB wrote: »
    An arm wrestling contest between Ger Loughnanne and Cyril Farrell.

Sure Loughnane would ate him without salt. Ye'd at least want to put someone like Sylvie against him to have any chance.

With regards travel on Sunday, what have people in mind?

I imagine Thurles will be an absolute nightmare to get out of come 4PM.

I have previous experiences down there on supporters buses taking the guts of 5 hours getting home to Galway.

Between an hour leaving the stadium grounds stuck in traffic, likewise an hour through the town, and 3 hours between traffic and the 2 hours it takes to get home to Galway regardless.

We're driving down on Sunday.

I'm thinking the best option will be to park a little outside the town to avoid traffic leaving the stadium and through the town itself?

Also bare in mind both sets of supporters will be on the same road home and Galway supporters will be coming home to Bank Holiday/Race Week traffic also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm thinking the best option will be to park a little outside the town to avoid traffic leaving the stadium and through the town itself?

Hoping to park near Roscrea direction because Nenagh/motorway to limerick will be awful. Leaving at 9 Sunday morning

Parked about a mile from Semple the leinster final and the traffic was so bad and they wouldn't open up the two lanes until an hour after we were already gridlocked. That was only 25k too iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

Hoping to park near Roscrea direction because Nenagh/motorway to limerick will be awful. Leaving at 9 Sunday morning

Parked about a mile from Semple the leinster final and the traffic was so bad and they wouldn't open up the two lanes until an hour after we were already gridlocked. That was only 25k too iirc.

are you intended to go home via Roscrea Templemore birr. I never went that way, will it be a good option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

cosatron wrote: »
    are you intended to go home via Roscrea Templemore birr. I never went that way, will it be a good option?

If I was travelling from Galway its definitely the route I would take, that or park well out the Nenagh road and just walk that bit further.

The guards have been very strict in recent times on match days as well so make sure that you parl legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I always go as far as Obama's & turn off, then through Templmore & into Thurles. Traffic from Thurles back to Templmore is usually heavy, you've to go through a T Junction. From then it's not bad, best thing about it is youre back in the motorway soon enough after Templmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

I'm going via Ennis (travelling with the enemy) but we're heading to Carrick on Shannon straight after. So be going Athlone direction. Where would be best to park for that? I've never actually driven and parked myself in Thurles on a matchday.

I've attached the 3 main routes from Galway from what I can see, bear in mind I'm coming from Tuam so ignore the Tuam to Galway part.

So are we saying the route via Birr and Roscrea would be the best shout?

Hope this helps people deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

I've attached the 3 main routes from Galway from what I can see, bear in mind I'm coming from Tuam so ignore the Tuam to Galway part.

So are we saying the route via Birr and Roscrea would be the best shout?

Hope this helps people deciding.

It might not be now if we keep telling people about it! Haha!!!

It might not be now if we keep telling people about it! Haha!!!

:D

This will be the whole lot of us heading down to Thurles now on Sunday!

Prize for the winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

How do lads rate our chances now ?
    Clare look a great bet at 7/4 or better
    I think they may just have the legs on us. We look a tired team for some reason.

Robson99 wrote: »
    How do lads rate our chances now ?
    Clare look a great bet at 7/4 or better
    I think they may just have the legs on us. We look a tired team for some reason.
    I think we have a good chance as this team has guts and determination. Clare played to the best of their ability and still only lead twice and each time we came back straight away. What can clare do differently to beat us as they have shown their hand whereas we can vary our game allot more and play allot better

I think we have a good chance as this team has guts and determination. Clare played to the best of their ability and still only lead twice and each time we came back straight away. What can clare do differently to beat us as they have shown their hand whereas we can vary our game allot more and play allot better

Or you could equally say that Galway got a run on Clare early on, had a big lead and were hanging by a thread for a finish. Not sure why you are so confident Clare played to the best of their ability and cant improve, and they have far less injury worries than Galway.

Very much a 50/50 game and for that reason the 7/4 is massive value.

• Advertisement

How we're we hanging from thread considering it was Clare who had to claw back lead at the end of regulation and extra time. I never said clare can't improve but galway have a bigger scope for improvement. Like 12 wides in the first half some poor touches, misplaced passes and we won't leave a couple of acres of space for conlon to run in and clip over points.

Provided Mcinerney is our only casualty and the others can at least see 60mins I can see us learning from our mistakes and winning, similar to the Leinster final replay. We were significantly better the second day and we certainly have more areas to improve than Clare who I think we're close to flat out the last day.

How we're we hanging from thread considering it was Clare who had to claw back lead at the end of regulation and extra time. I never said clare can't improve but galway have a bigger scope for improvement. Like 12 wides in the first half some poor touches, misplaced passes and we won't leave a couple of acres of space for conlon to run in and clip over points.

I will be very interested to see how Galway attempt to close down the space in front of Conlon. McInerney will be a massive loss and if Galway play a deep lying CB it opens them up to being over ran by Kelly and Galvin.

Perhaps I was a little ott with ''hanging from a thread'' but the realty is Galway had a nine point lead and couldnt hold it and have major injury doubts over at least two of their talismen.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I will be very interested to see how Galway attempt to close down the space in front of Conlon. McInerney will be a massive loss and if Galway play a deep lying CB it opens them up to being over ran by Kelly and Galvin.

Perhaps I was a little ott with ''hanging from a thread'' but the realty is Galway had a nine point lead and couldnt hold it and have major injury doubts over at least two of their talismen.

Space in front of conlon isn't as big an issue if we prevent the short puckout. If we stop that then we force them to contest the puckout and that plays to our strengths.
    Hoofing ball on top of glynn can't be our only gameplan either. If we go to glynn, at least one forward needs to be in front of him as what he doesn't win he'll spoil. But we need to keep them guessing too. I'd keep Cooney close to glynn with Whelan working the corners. Alternate them every so often letting Whelan and glynn come deep and Cooney go one on one at the edge of the square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway also created 4 good goal chances and only took one. That, the 22 wides and the fact that it is unlikely they will give Clare 27 of 29 puckouts again is probably a cause for optimism.

However the injury problems are very real. McInerney almost certainly is out. It seems like Canning will play but there is no way he is 100%. He's walking around during the week in a moon boot. Daithi is not 100%. And people forget Whelan came off hurt the last day as well. We saw it with Cork the last day when they had lads on the pitch that were carrying knocks. It caught up with them at the end. All-Ireland semi-finals not usually the place to be if you are not 100% right.

Injuries are a concern, but I just feel the game was eerily similar to the drawn Leinster final and I'm hoping for a similar response from our guys and Horgan doesn't like a fast puck out which will help us

Keeping the wides to a minimum is key to counteracting the quick puckout, all referees will allow a quick puckout after a wide, but when there is a score most, including Horgan will insist you wait for the whistle, in order to give them the time to record the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the ticket situation like in Galway. Is there many tickets coming through the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We could turn up for the first 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

As a Clare man I don't think we were at our max. We gifted Galway a goal due to poor 1st touch & coughed up a few pts from similar. Of course we had serious luck in avoiding more goals

For me puck outs will be crucial. Assuming Galway push up & force Clare to go long, then it's advantage Galway. We simply don't have enough ball winners around our half forward line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement