Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hidalgo wrote: »
    As a Clare man I don't think we were at our max. We gifted Galway a goal due to poor 1st touch & coughed up a few pts from similar. Of course we had serious luck in avoiding more goals

For me puck outs will be crucial. Assuming Galway push up & force Clare to go long, then it's advantage Galway. We simply don't have enough ball winners around our half forward line.

With McInerney out then we only have P. Mannion good enough in the air. Thats where I think Clare will win the game. If Galway push up on the puck out Clare half forwards will win enough or break enough for the runners. Last week was the week for us to push up and we didnt.
    Also I think from last year there possibly only 6 or 7 players playing as well as they did last year and thats a big worry.
    Those players being Touhy, D Burke, P Mannion, C Mannion, JC, Whelan and Glynn. The rest have been average enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Or you could equally say that Galway got a run on Clare early on, had a big lead and were hanging by a thread for a finish. Not sure why you are so confident Clare played to the best of their ability and cant improve, and they have far less injury worries than Galway.

Very much a 50/50 game and for that reason the 7/4 is massive value.

Galway could have easily thrown in the towel when Clare got the goal in extra time.

4 All Stars gone off the pitch including the hurler of the year. And it pissing out of the heavens.

The hunger was there.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    As a Clare man I don't think we were at our max. We gifted Galway a goal due to poor 1st touch & coughed up a few pts from similar. Of course we had serious luck in avoiding more goals

For me puck outs will be crucial. Assuming Galway push up & force Clare to go long, then it's advantage Galway. We simply don't have enough ball winners around our half forward line.

Clare got easier scores than Galway due to Galway pretty much conceding the puck out.

Will need to improve on that Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

djPSB wrote: »
    Galway could have easily thrown in the towel when Clare got the goal in extra time.

4 All Stars gone off the pitch including the hurler of the year. And it pissing out of the heavens.

The hunger was there.

True enough. 2 points down with 5 minutes left and I believe I read that 4 or 5 All-Stars from last year were off the field at that point. They still came back and got the next 3 points. They haven't got much credit for that in the medis this week which was heavily Clare focused. It would have been easy for them to call it quits after the goal went in as they were both exhausted and down some serious players at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

djPSB wrote: »

The hunger was there.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was questioning Galway's hunger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was questioning Galway's hunger?

I think there was definitely potential for Galway to pull a 'Cork' on it. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Got the season tickets - Section 207 row BB very happy.

I think there was definitely potential for Galway to pull a 'Cork' on it. :D:D

Very true, but I wouldn't rate Clare as high as Limerick, people are being a little harsh on Cork but maybe that is as a result of all their semi final losses as opposed to this one in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Robson99 wrote: »
    With McInerney out then we only have P. Mannion good enough in the air. Thats where I think Clare will win the game. If Galway push up on the puck out Clare half forwards will win enough or break enough for the runners. Last week was the week for us to push up and we didnt.
    Also I think from last year there possibly only 6 or 7 players playing as well as they did last year and thats a big worry.
    Those players being Touhy, D Burke, P Mannion, C Mannion, JC, Whelan and Glynn. The rest have been average enough

If it's broken ball Clare have a good chance, but winning clean possession is something we're not great at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Very true, but I wouldn't rate Clare as high as Limerick, people are being a little harsh on Cork but maybe that is as a result of all their semi final losses as opposed to this one in particular.

We beat them by 11 points less than 2 months ago. They didn't lead once in that game and were given a lifeline by the ref when he incorrectly sent Reidy off.

• Advertisement

We beat them by 11 points less than 2 months ago. They didn't lead once in that game and were given a lifeline by the ref when he incorrectly sent Reidy off.

Thats very nice but it was effectively a dead rubber, both teams were already through to the QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

I’m presuming team won’t be named till Friday night,Saturday by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

This year Limerick have beaten all of the strong hurling counties except Clare and Wexford ( so far ).
    They beat Galway, Offaly, Antrim, Dublin and Laois in the League.
    Waterford and Tipp in Munster.
    Kilkenny in the AIQF.
    Cork in the AISF.

The only team to beat them all year was Clare.

That record has to stand for something. There's a reason fans and pundits alike are starting to believe the hype.

Any one of the last three could win the All Ireland. You'd still have to put Galway as slight favourites I think, but last Saturday should be evidence enough as to why it is only slight.

Terrace tickets now in sale on tickets.ie for the replay

puzl wrote: »
    This year Limerick have beaten all of the strong hurling counties except Clare and Wexford ( so far ).
    They beat Galway, Offaly, Antrim, Dublin and Laois in the League.
    Waterford and Tipp in Munster.
    Kilkenny in the AIQF.
    Cork in the AISF.

The only team to beat them all year was Clare.

That record has to stand for something. There's a reason fans and pundits alike are starting to believe the hype.

Any one of the last three could win the All Ireland. You'd still have to put Galway as slight favourites I think, but last Saturday should be evidence enough as to why it is only slight.

And even at that, they were both already through to the quarter final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I says wrote: »
    I’m presuming team won’t be named till Friday night,Saturday by chance.

Team for Sunday announced;

1. Sylvie Linnane
    2. Sylvie Linnane (c)
    3. Sylvie Linnane
    4. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    7. Sylvie Linnane
    8. Sylvie Linnane
    9. Sylvie Linnane
    10. Sylvie Linnane
    11. Sylvie Linnane
    12. Sylvie Linnane
    13. Sylvie Linnane
    14. Sylvie Linnane
    15. Sylvie Linnane

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

DVDM93 wrote: »

1. Sylvie Linnane
    2. Sylvie Linnane (c)
    3. Sylvie Linnane
    4. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    7. Sylvie Linnane
    8. Sylvie Linnane
    9. Sylvie Linnane
    10. Sylvie Linnane
    11. Sylvie Linnane
    12. Sylvie Linnane
    13. Sylvie Linnane
    14. Sylvie Linnane
    15. Sylvie Linnane

I'd move Linnane from wing back into right corner back, it's his natural position and he plays there all day for his club. You'd have to bring Silvie Linnane to wing back, and then bring Linnane on from the bench. Along with Silvie Linnane, you'd have the best midfield pairing in the country.
    The big problem for me is who marks Conlon? Silvie Linnane would be a good fit, but I'd worry about him lasting the 70 minutes. You could rotate with Sylvie Linnane towards the end of the game and hopefully starve him of possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

1. Sylvie Linnane
    2. Sylvie Linnane (c)
    3. Sylvie Linnane
    4. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    5. Sylvie Linnane
    7. Sylvie Linnane
    8. Sylvie Linnane
    9. Sylvie Linnane
    10. Sylvie Linnane
    11. Sylvie Linnane
    12. Sylvie Linnane
    13. Sylvie Linnane
    14. Sylvie Linnane
    15. Sylvie Linnane

What no Linnanes on the bench ffs

Kilkenny's Tommy Walsh is backing us for Sunday, the "do it for Gearoid" mentality his main reason for backing us and giving us the edge.

Offaly's Daithí Regan feels if both teams hurl to their full potential, Clare will win.

Off The Ball interview with the pair of them just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Hurlers the more important game of the weekend of course due to what's at stake, but any news as to how the footballers will line out Saturday? Might see a few lads get extended runs i.e Army, Varley, Duane, GO'D, Cummins maybe, O'Curraoin? It's definitely a winnable game and could be vital in reaching an all Ireland. I rate Monaghan but I still see us winning even with a few changes wouldn't be surprised either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Kilkenny's Tommy Walsh is backing us for Sunday, the "do it for Gearoid" mentality his main reason for backing us and giving us the edge.

Offaly's Daithí Regan feels if both teams hurl to their full potential, Clare will win.

Thought Regans reasoning was a bit weird. If Clare lose by 3 did they not hurl well or is it possible to hurl well and lose. His whole analysis was pointing towards all the changes Galway could make to improve and at the last minute picks Clare. Tommy putting it all down to motivation due to mcinerney was a bit simplistic in my book too.
    I did agree with Tommy that there could be worse teams that we could be playing without Mcinerney.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

With regards travel on Sunday, what have people in mind?

I imagine Thurles will be an absolute nightmare to get out of come 4PM.

I have previous experiences down there on supporters buses taking the guts of 5 hours getting home to Galway.

Between an hour leaving the stadium grounds stuck in traffic, likewise an hour through the town, and 3 hours between traffic and the 2 hours it takes to get home to Galway regardless.

We're driving down on Sunday.

I'm thinking the best option will be to park a little outside the town to avoid traffic leaving the stadium and through the town itself?

Also bare in mind both sets of supporters will be on the same road home and Galway supporters will be coming home to Bank Holiday/Race Week traffic also.

Please stop clogging up the thread with your traffic management and parking plans. Get a train or park where ever you want. People have been going to sellouts in Thurles for 100years and get home ok.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Please stop clogging up the thread with your traffic management and parking plans. Get a train or park where ever you want. People have been going to sellouts in Thurles for 100years and get home ok.

Hope you get a puncture :)

'Getting home OK' is a very broad term given the routes we've discussed could mean it taking either 2-3 hours to get home or 4-5 hours.

Of course we'll all get home OK but given previous experiences down in Thurles I'm sure I'm not the only one who will try and avoid the nightmare of getting out of the place the best possible way.

This traffic discussion has been put to bed and you've ironically only 'clogged' it further by posting it again.

If my posts even help one person plan their journey Sunday a little better, I'll be happy. Your post has little or no value.

Put down the phone until you have anything worth contributing and give yourself a break from the negativity, you'll feel better for it I promise.

Fcuk the traffic I only want us to win

Come with me and I'll have you home in time for The Sunday Game & out for celebratory Bank Holiday pints afterwards.

While BloodyBill is stuck down the M6 with a punctured tyre :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Any word on the injuries??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blahblah82

Mr Velo wrote: »

All seems very hush hush still, but from what I hear Gearóid Mac is the one big doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blahblah82

Fcuk the traffic I only want us to win

Couldn't agree more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

Mr Velo wrote: »
    All will play bar McInerney

• Advertisement

What harm is it. No harm in people sharing a few ideas on how to get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

There's rumours that mcinerney is "fit", but I can't see it myself. I reckon he's out for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Too nervous to even think of Sunday so my predictions for Saturday night's lineout would include Wynne, Duane, Varley, FO'C, Army and McHugh all to start. Might even see D'Arcy in there at some stage but think they'll want to keep a stronger core there with Walsh, Comer, SAOC, Flynn and Bradshaw.

Also you can still buy up to 8 terrace tickets for Sunday as we speak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Too nervous to even think of Sunday so my predictions for Saturday night's lineout would include Wynne, Duane, Varley, FO'C, Army and McHugh all to start. Might even see D'Arcy in there at some stage but think they'll want to keep a stronger core there with Walsh, Comer, SAOC, Flynn and Bradshaw.

Also you can still buy up to 8 terrace tickets for Sunday as we speak!

Has any one a traffic plan for this game lads???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Avoid Eyre Square, park on Kingston road and get there at 4 so you can get a pic taken with Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire.

Slag the traffic tips all you want lads but I've found them very useful in the past. This is the first thread I've ever seen whinging about traffic advice. Grow up cowboys.

Some good news for Galway on the injury front

- Annaghdowngaa's Ciaran Duggan has returned to full training, just 6 weeks after fracturing his wrist while on club duty

Taken off Galway Footballers Homepage on Facebook

Good to see some positive news, felt awful for Conroy during the week, even more so after seeing his interview on RTÉ during the week and seeing that's its also effected a new teaching job he had starting in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If both sides play to their potential, Galway will win.
    They've simply the better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

flatty wrote: »
    There's rumours that mcinerney is "fit", but I can't see it myself. I reckon he's out for this one.

Nope. He wont play again this year. For Galway that is.

Parking based on the main routes & respective countiesfor Sunday, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Thanks for that. Very helpful for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Some good news for Galway on the injury front

- Annaghdowngaa's Ciaran Duggan has returned to full training, just 6 weeks after fracturing his wrist while on club duty

That's great to hear. But I hope he's not rushing it. I fractured my wrist back at the start of May and it's still not right. Still in splint and might need surgery yet. Hopefully his was a different part of the wrist. Delighted for him that he's back.

On a side note, are there still tickets going for Salthill?

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    That's great to hear. But I hope he's not rushing it. I fractured my wrist back at the start of May and it's still not right. Still in splint and might need surgery yet. Hopefully his was a different part of the wrist. Delighted for him that he's back.

On a side note, are there still tickets going for Salthill?

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship - Quarter Finals Phase 3: Galway v Monaghan

Pearse Stadium, Galway

04/08/2018 18:00

Sorry, tickets are no longer available online

General Event Information

GAA Football Qualifier Round 3
    Galway v Monaghan
    Throw In: 6.00pm

Ticket Information
    Adult: €25.00
    Juvenile: €5.00
    Student/Senior citizen tickets available on the day. There will be No Concession stile.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship - Quarter Finals Phase 3: Galway v Monaghan

Pearse Stadium, Galway

04/08/2018 18:00

Sorry, tickets are no longer available online

General Event Information

GAA Football Qualifier Round 3
    Galway v Monaghan
    Throw In: 6.00pm

Ticket Information
    Adult: €25.00
    Juvenile: €5.00
    Student/Senior citizen tickets available on the day. There will be No Concession stile.

I would imagine there are tickets available in Supervalu or Centra.It is not a sell out.

vid36 wrote: »
    I would imagine there are tickets available in Supervalu or Centra.It is not a sell out.

True that just not available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

Galway name an unchanged team for the hurling on Sunday................

Galway name an unchanged team for the hurling on Sunday................

Behave yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Holding their cards close to their chest on this. Clare not naming their team till before throw in.

Jesus Christ Gearoid McInerney named in the team!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Think both of those have the same chance of actually starting

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

The original JC

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement