Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Parking based on the main routes & respective countiesfor Sunday, hope this helps.

Super map thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Jesus Christ Gearoid McInerney named in the team!!!!!

He won't wear a Galway jersey again this year with that injury.

Galway name an unchanged team for the hurling on Sunday................

Cagey stuff from both sides. Should be tense down there Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Any ideas of the best spot to watch the hurling in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Any ideas of the best spot to watch the hurling in Dublin?

Croke Park.

Oh no wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is football on Sky or RTE tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

djPSB wrote: »
    Is football on Sky or RTE tomorrow?

Sky 407 for Galway - Monaghan
    Sky 408 for Kerry _ Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Galway name an unchanged team for the hurling on Sunday................
    Clever of Clare to call Galway's bluff. The first 10 mins will be fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone know if there's a game before the Galway Monaghan game in pearse tomorrow. €25 is a bloody rip off to go in for one game and stand on a terrace where u not even guaranteed a seat

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a game before the Galway Monaghan game in pearse tomorrow. €25 is a bloody rip off to go in for one game and stand on a terrace where u not even guaranteed a seat

Really? For a quarter final level game 25 quid is fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mjp wrote: »

What's good value so. €20, €15, €10?
    Your team is playing a match which should be a cracker. They are almost certain of a semi final place and all that is left, is to see who they play in that semi.

In comparison to other forms of entertainment be it live or otherwise, €25 isn't too bad a deal.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What's good value so. €20, €15, €10?
    Your team is playing a match which should be a cracker. They are almost certain of a semi final place and all that is left, is to see who they play in that semi.

In comparison to other forms of entertainment be it live or otherwise, €25 isn't too bad a deal.

Between the footballers and hurlers, Galway will have nearly 30 games this year in just the League and Championship. That's not including Walsh Cup and FBD.

No way it's viable for supporters to give time and financial commitment to all.

Something will have to give, there's no way supporters can commit to the current volume of games.

Plus there's no way players will be able for the volume of games long term.

Between the footballers and hurlers, Galway will have nearly 30 games this year in just the League and Championship. That's not including Walsh Cup and FBD.

Something will have to give, there's no way supporters can commit to the current volume of games.

Mayo fans and players have done it for the past number of years. And in fairness to them their only gripe was not enough tickets for their supporters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looking at attendances supporters aren't going to every match, just over 8,000 went to see your footballers play Sligo and hurlers play Offaly, both games were at home. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have your problems, serious contenders for both All Irelands, win both provincial titles and still going in August

Mayo fans and players have done it for the past number of years. And in fairness to them their only gripe was not enough tickets for their supporters.

Don't think a Mayo team ever played 30 games in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They only had to do it in 1 code though, you've had 3 provincial games and 3 super 8s in the football, 3 provincial and 4 other games in the hurling that's 13 championship games with the potential for more. At €25 a ticket that's €325 just to get into the grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Clareman wrote: »
    Looking at attendances supporters aren't going to every match, just over 8,000 went to see your footballers play Sligo and hurlers play Offaly, both games were at home. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have your problems, serious contenders for both All Irelands, win both provincial titles and still going in August

Offaly was away but I take your point

christy c wrote: »
    Offaly was away but I take your point

My apologies, you are right, your lowest attendance at home was against Dublin which was really a dead rubber, just short of 10k went to that.

They only had to do it in 1 code though, you've had 3 provincial games and 3 super 8s in the football, 3 provincial and 4 other games in the hurling that's 13 championship games with the potential for more. At €25 a ticket that's €325 just to get into the grounds.

Literally the price of success. And again at €25 good value for money. League games at €12 or €15 on the day are also an excellent price. Season tickets available too for Galway supporters which should guarantee them AI tickets if the criteria is met.

As a previous poster said they're in an enviable position in relation to almost the rest of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Will people ever stop complaining ? Jesus if we’re out of both championships we wouldn’t be happy either . Ok it is time consuming and it does hit the pocket but people that are on about players won’t be able for the amount of games etc are losing the run of themselves . The players are training since last winter hoping to get a chance to play these games . We have 2 senior all Ireland semi finals this Sunday and next and I for one hope I have to find time aNd cash and tickets for the third Sunday in August and the first Sunday In September . Gaillimh abu !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Have 2 stand tickets for the match on Sunday in Thurles, looking to sell at face value. 2 very good tickets in the Old Stand but not side by side, 1 in section 207 and the other in section 208. Unable to go im afraid, PM if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Any idea why the footballers haven’t named their team yet?

Redo91 wrote: »

Wouldn't be uncommon. It's happened a few times this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Redo91 wrote: »

Wouldn't be uncommon. It's happened a few times this year.
    That’s fair enough. Was weighing up whether to go or not based on the team. If they were resting a few I’d give it a miss as I’m already going to the hurling tomorrow and I’m racing today (was going to leave early to go to the match). Will probably leave it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

There’s no way they’re resting anyone. It’ll be a full strength team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I am hearing there may be a few positional and personnel changes tomorrow for the hurlers. It will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mszylwo3bnaxg7

Any idea how early you should get there to try and get a seat? Bringing a child and want to try and avoid standing. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Monaghan have travelled well, going by the amount of jerseys around the city, fair play to them!

Just to put today in to perspective and what team might be picked;

Win or Draw vs Monaghan
    - Will face Tyrone or Donegal in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final on Sunday 12th August

Loss vs Monaghan
    - Will face Dublin in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final on Saturday 11th August

Also the fact that a few of our players aren't too far away from suspensions either;

Any player who receives three black cards, three double yellow cards, three instances of a black card following a yellow card in a match, within that year’s league and championship campaign, will be suspended for one match.

Galway currently have 7 players with one strike

- Cathal Sweeney (Black card vs Kerry, NFL)
    - Johnny Heaney (Black card vs Kerry, NFL)
    - Peter Cooke (Black card vs Mayo, Connacht SFC)
    - David Wynne (Yellow + Black vs Sligo, Connacht SFC)
    - Thomas Flynn (Black card vs Kerry, Super 8s Rd.1)
    - Eoghan Kerin (Double yellow vs Kerry, Super 8s Rd.1)
    - Eamonn Brannigan (Black card vs Kildare, Super 8s Rd.2)

Another black card or double yellow vs Monaghan tomorrow would leave certain players walking a disciplinary tight rope in the following weekend's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

Take from all that what you will.

Gaillimh Abú!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Monaghan have travelled well, going by the amount of jerseys around the city, fair play to them!

Just to put today in to perspective and what team might be picked;

Win or Draw vs Monaghan
    - Will face Tyrone or Donegal in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final on Sunday 12th August

Loss vs Monaghan
    - Will face Dublin in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final on Saturday 11th August

Also the fact that a few of our players aren't too far away from suspensions either;

Any player who receives three black cards, three double yellow cards, three instances of a black card following a yellow card in a match, within that year’s league and championship campaign, will be suspended for one match.

Galway currently have 7 players with one strike

- Cathal Sweeney (Black card vs Kerry, NFL)
    - Johnny Heaney (Black card vs Kerry, NFL)
    - Peter Cooke (Black card vs Mayo, Connacht SFC)
    - David Wynne (Yellow + Black vs Sligo, Connacht SFC)
    - Thomas Flynn (Black card vs Kerry, Super 8s Rd.1)
    - Eoghan Kerin (Double yellow vs Kerry, Super 8s Rd.1)
    - Eamonn Brannigan (Black card vs Kildare, Super 8s Rd.2)

Another black card or double yellow vs Monaghan tomorrow would leave certain players walking a disciplinary tight rope in the following weekend's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

Take from all that what you will.

Gaillimh Abú!

Isn't Sean Andy walking the tightrope already? Carrying two blacks, another means he'd miss the semi or even the final if he picked one up in the semi and we happened to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

Looking forward to this. Drive on and stay unbeaten should be the way. Hon Galway!

• Advertisement

Kevin Walsh.... Tactical dummy.

Man marking on the oppositions kick ours which guarantees one of their players gets free and kick ours to a contest and just lose heaps.

The less said about the attacking play the better. Off the cuff stuff.

Hopefully the Dublin game is his last as he's holding us back from progressing.

One thing to go out and lose but they didn't even try a leg. Disgraceful performance a week from a semi final.
    After a great season it looks like it will end with a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

That was vile.

Is comer suspended now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Didn't try a leg today especially in the 2nd half. Not sure that's the best way to go into a semi-final. They have to flip a switch fairly quickly to get them right for Dublin.

Sean Kelly who has been decent all year fed done his hamstring so he’s gonna be out . Is comer our after getting the two yellows and a red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

i think comer got two yellows lads

i think comer got two yellows lads
    He did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The one thing we got from Galway all year was they turned up every day but that was almost as bad as Roscommon or Tipp. Congrats to monaghan they've been a long time knocking on the door and from the off took charge and picked our defense apart

Was a difficult position for Galway to be in. I guess we couldn't bring the competition into disrepute by changing the whole team but was very surprised we didn't mix it up more. We mixed up the team in league game v Dublin in Salthill and got a decent performance.

AdrIan Varley the big loser today. Got his chance to start but didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

4x Town End tickets going €25. Can meet in Galway City tomorrow morning! Contact me on this as I don’t have a mobile on me tonight!

• Advertisement

The one thing we got from Galway all year was they turned up every day but that was almost as bad as Roscommon or Tipp. Congrats to monaghan they've been a long time knocking on the door and from the off took charge and picked our defense apart

Was a difficult position for Galway to be in. I guess we couldn't bring the competition into disrepute by changing the whole team but was very surprised we didn't mix it up more. We mixed up the team in league game v Dublin in Salthill and got a decent performance.

AdrIan Varley the big loser today. Got his chance to start but didn't take it.

They should have sat down after the kildare game and decided as a team how they wanted to play it. Either say as a team they were happy to take the weeks rest and go against Dublin or else go with a full team and go for the win against Monaghan.

If they did that and got today's performance then the onus would be on the players to put in a shift next week. But it looks like they put out a full team where the players hearts weren't In it and we have a deflated team heading in to next week. I think they're as good as done at this stage because they won't find it easy to bounce back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Didn't expect to win tonight and had Monaghan backed as I thought the were great bet.
    However didn't think we would totally embarrassed. Thought we would get within 2 or 3 points in a competitive game and would be optimistic going to Dublin next Sat evening
    After that show I wouldn't waste the money on petrol to Athlon let alone Dublin
    The dubs will beat them by 10 point + without breaking a sweat

Robson99 wrote: »
    Didn't expect to win tonight and had Monaghan backed as I thought the were great bet.
    However didn't think we would totally embarrassed. Thought we would get within 2 or 3 points in a competitive game and would be optimistic going to Dublin next Sat evening
    After that show I wouldn't waste the money on petrol to Athlon let alone Dublin
    The dubs will beat them by 10 point + without breaking a sweat

I think that performance if followed by a win tomorrow for the Hurlers will result in next to no one going to croker next week. It was a truly horrendous "performance".

threeball wrote: »
    I think that performance if followed by a win tomorrow for the Hurlers will result in next to no one going to croker next week. It was a truly horrendous "performance".

Well I for one will be going . The footballers chose this evening to put in there worst performance of the year by a long way . But to get to a league final and now all Ireland semi final having lost 2 games all years is no mean achievement . It’s easy knock them this evening when there down. Also embarrassing to be outnumbered heavily this evening at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

spurshero wrote: »
    Well I for one will be going . The footballers chose this evening to put in there worst performance of the year by a long way . But to get to a league final and now all Ireland semi final having lost 2 games all years is no mean achievement . It’s easy knock them this evening when there down. Also embarrassing to be outnumbered heavily this evening at home !

In fairness could you blame people for knocking them. Football is absolutely puke to watch at the moment. Only Dublin provide any level of entertainment.
    That was shambolic this evening. They were a disgrace and an embarrasment

spurshero wrote: »

In fairness most people had to choose between an all Ireland semi and a game where losing wasn't a huge deal. It was the manner of the loss that is the issue.
    I'm not saying they've had a bad year but it's poor timing to put in that performance. I'll probably go myself too but I don't expect a big crowd from Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Tonight, was a disaster no denying that.However, I think there has been progress this year, those lads have shown great commitment ,restored pride in Galway football and deserve a good send off .Plenty of fans heading to Thurles tomorrow who seem to have skippped Tullamore in the lean years.Dont be one of those fans.

I wouldn't be too up to date with the coming and goings of football, but in my opinion the best time to meet a dominate force like Dublin is in the semi-final, Galway might have been "saving" themselves for the semi final, if they beat Monaghan so be it, either way they'd be ready for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

They aren't a disgrace or an embarrassment, they're a team who had their first off day in a year, happens to the best of us especially when you've already done the hard work. Calm down with the over reactions.

I swear some people here are happier to be misreable. I see the same people comment after every loss calling for so and so's head. They've already surpassed expectations this year and up until today, in a game where their heads were clearly elsewhere, they've done a tremendous job.

See ye in Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A very bad performance against a hungry side that had everything to play for. Not much positives if any bar Duggan's return, SAOC not being suspended, Kerin and that's about it really.

I wouldn't write them off based on today. They'll be taking some serious licks from all corners of Galway this week and listening to how the Dubs will blow them away. That's gonna brew up a storm in training. They beat Mayo, Kerry and came back from a shocking first half to win a second provincial in 3 years. Cop on and support them on Saturday. We've the minors playing Meath before that too.

I wouldn't be too up to date with the coming and goings of football, but in my opinion the best time to meet a dominate force like Dublin is in the semi-final, Galway might have been "saving" themselves for the semi final, if they beat Monaghan so be it, either way they'd be ready for next week.

If they were focusing on Dublin the last two weeks then fair play. But I doubt it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement