Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Crazy negativity here. Monaghan were trying to make history this evening, Galway had shag all to play for. Instead of a hype train all week they'll be totally written off and they'll be pissed off themselves so I'm expecting a big performance next week.
    I wish they could see they're in bonus territory now and just go all out and try and outscore Dublin in a shoot out. But I think management will have an eye on next year and won't want to risk that backfiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Heard at the Galway match today that Mc will play tomorrow. I would consider the source reliable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spurshero wrote: »
    Sean Kelly who has been decent all year fed done his hamstring so he’s gonna be out . Is comer our after getting the two yellows and a red

Don't think it was hamstring, ice on his calf at the end. Was very poor today too. Really bottled going for a ball on stand side in the first half.

Kerin seemed to ask to go off because he felt his hamstring, that's what he pointed to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Even if they had 2 eyes on Dublin next Sat surely they could have been working on a kick out strategy or trying to create a few goal scoring opportunities. Everything this evening will be replicated next Sat evening.
    Ffs its was Monaghan... beaten by fermanagh and who could only draw with Kildare and kerry. 8 points at home with starting positions up for grabs is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GiraffeOnFire

I think a few of lads on here need top get a bit of perspective. I was at this match this evening, it was obvious in the first 10 minutes that Galway were in second gear. And in fairness, who would blame them? There was nothing for them to play for.

All week, the sports media, blowing ****e about how Galway needed to win to avoid Dublin ...absolute feicin' rubbish!

If I saw a high intensity Galway turning up this evening burning up energy, risking injuries and suspensions just to avoid Dublin, I would have been very worried.

We're playing Dublin, we have the confidence to know we're as good them and we're going to beat them. Personally with the improvement I seen in this team all this year, we can beat Dublin.

Dublin are the ones who should be fearing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Robson99 wrote: »
    Ffs its was Monaghan... beaten by fermanagh and who could only draw with Kildare and kerry. 8 points at home with starting positions up for grabs is a disgrace

Monaghan beat Kildare, for the record. And if you think Galway are on a different level to them at the moment and this should be a straightforward win, then you're badly mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

One team had to win this evening and it showed. If you are 5% off, you get a yawning gap on the score line. The big unknown is can we park this evenings result and not let it or the display affect our performance v the Dubs. I think we can, injuries aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Can't believe people are putting a negative spin on this.

Walsh and the team were in an invidious and unprecedented position; no matter what he/they did it would be judged as the wrong decision unless they put in a performance the next day.

It was always going to be incredibly difficult no matter what they did; they were playing against a very good team who were fighting for their lives, a team that are very hard to beat for anyone at the best of times, while knowing they're already 'there', i.e in the semi-finals.

I think Galway are actually in a good position now; no injuries, that i'm aware of and if they want to win an all-Ireland they were probably always gonna have to beat Dublin anyway.

They can write off that game today, as they know it wasn't representative of them, and get ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Whatever about Dublin how confident are ye for tomorrow ye have more then the stuff to do it provided ye dont let slip ....again, canning will play burke and G mac doubtful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Galway to shock the dubs and beat Tyrone in the final.thats my bet.and every Mayo man for generations to come saying we snook in and won the all Ireland in 2018. Ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Footballers unfortunately are engaging too much with the media and public events.

Don't really hear a squeak out of that hurlers who are more focused on on-field activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Safe travels to all heading to Thurles today. Cautiously optimistic but Clare are a serious side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

djPSB wrote: »
    Footballers unfortunately are engaging too much with the media and public events.

Don't really hear a squeak out of that hurlers who are more focused on on-field activities.

What have the footballers been involved in. Haven't seen anything bar two Damien Comer interviews.
    Usual Craic with the Hurlers, it's always past players throwing their oar in. Current teams rarely do any media stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Comer as captain has to speak to the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

stretchdoe wrote: »
    I think Galway are actually in a good position now; no injuries, that i'm aware of and if they want to win an all-Ireland they were probably always gonna have to beat Dublin anyway.

They can write off that game today, as they know it wasn't representative of them, and get ready.

No matter what way you spin it, I am shocked at our performance yesterday. I think in reality Dublin are way too good for us and will toy with us in the semi before sending us packing. We are 3-4 players short of an All Ireland winning team.

Best of luck to the hurlers today. I fear Clare but we have a good chance. Depends on the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

This isn't true at all. Joe canning is in the paper every day, and David Burke who, like comer has to do interviews, has been in the media a lot the last few weeks.

I'm sure players of both codes are fully focussed on their tasks ahead and hopefully the hurlers will get over the line today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Whatever about Dublin how confident are ye for tomorrow ye have more then the stuff to do it provided ye dont let slip ....again, canning will play burke and G mac doubtful ?

Not one bit confident at all. Didn't win near enough battles after the first 20 mins the last day. Actually probably only came out on top in 3 or 4 with another 2 or 3 break even.
    If we dont get a much better performance from Hanbury, Harte in defence, our two midfielders and the 2 Cooneys in the forward line then Clare will beat us. Really is anyones game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hit heavy traffic in templemore get to town a volunteer directing traffic no guards in sight rlol you cud not make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Did Galway decide to throw the Monaghan game?, they knew losing to Monaghan gave Kerry the boot. Advantage being going only half pelt and resting players while seeing off Kerry for free. Any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Did Galway decide to throw the Monaghan game?, they knew losing to Monaghan gave Kerry the boot. Advantage being going only half pelt and resting players while seeing off Kerry for free. Any thoughts on this?

Having beaten them already, I doubt Galway gave a fiddlers for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Kerry were still there if Galway had won. I doubt Galway were that blaise on the prospect of meeting them again. Just pondering but who knows?, it's history now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Monaghan game over lads . -objective of the group stage was to qualify to put us in to all Ireland semi which we done with Game to spare . Win or lose yesterday we were still gonna be in a semi so it was hard to know what players mindsets were . If lads weren’t going full throttle who can blame them . Could get injuries cards etc to rule them out . Anyway let’s park it there now and wish the hurlers all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Traffic was shocking since early this morning. Got to Borriseiligh at 10ish and tailback was lethal then. Parked out near Drom. Be a long journey home win or lose.

They didn't rest players though did they so that shoots down that theory.

GMac not warming up but wearing 6. I think Niall Burke starts and a few positional changes in half backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Traffic's an absolute disaster. Salthill-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As I said in the other thread. RTÉ can't afford any delays to their coverage, they need to be free for the hockey final after 4pm. Unless a safety call is made by the Gardaí the game has to go ahead on time.

GMac not warming up but wearing 6. I think Niall Burke starts and a few positional changes in half backs.

Hardly worth ruling him totally out by playing him. Think we're better to go without and see how we cope.
    I'd be confident we have enough areas to improve on to put this game away. We were incredibly one dimensional last week

Niall Burke at centre back.

threeball wrote: »
    Niall Burke at centre back.
    Dont think he will start there. Joe Cooney probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Mixture of relief and and rage after that. Great to get the win but I felt that the ref gave Galway nothing between Glynns goal and halftime which is what kept Clare in the match. It would have been finished if he'd given Galway the frees they were entitled to during that period.

Great to reach another final.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

grbear wrote: »
    Mixture of relief and and rage after that. Great to get the win but I felt that the ref gave Galway nothing between Glynns goal and halftime which is what kept Clare in the match. It would have been finished if he'd given Galway the frees they were entitled to during that period.

I’m a Corkman and I absolutely agree with you on the ref. When a team goes 5 or 6 points ahead psychologically the refs give the chasing team everything. It was the exact same in the closing stages of last weeks Cork v Limerick game when a totally incompetent ref gave Limerick a couple of soft frees which enabled them to gain momentum which they never lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Delighted with the result! I thought the ref was terrible also, particularly in the second half. Kept Clare in the game. Fair dues to O'Donnell, he scored a good goal even though he should have been whistled for steps twice for it.

the ref was unreal bad fk me wrecked but get thefk in

the ref was unreal bad fk me wrecked but get thefk in

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Delighted with the result! I thought the ref was terrible also, particularly in the second half. Kept Clare in the game. Fair dues to O'Donnell, he scored a good goal even though he should have been whistled for steps twice for it.

He didn't take steps. He just did brilliantly. It was a great goal, not a good goal.

grbear wrote: »

Galway should have had a man sent off for the shoulder in the head of the Clareman. So the ref left Galway off there. I think over the 70 Clare got the most decisions from the ref but Galway again took their foot off Clare's neck and that has to be a worry.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    He didn't take steps. He just did brilliantly. It was a great goal, not a good goal.

You can go back and count them if you like. He definitely took too many steps. It's not something I'm particularly bothered by as most refs let players away with extra steps. It was a quality goal alright but by the letter of the law it shouldn't have stood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I’m a Corkman and I absolutely agree with you on the ref. When a team goes 5 or 6 points ahead psychologically the refs give the chasing team everything. It was the exact same in the closing stages of last weeks Cork v Limerick game when a totally incompetent ref gave Limerick a couple of soft frees which enabled them to gain momentum which they never lost.
    Thankfully not all Cork fans are sore losers.

You can go back and count them if you like. He definitely took too many steps. It's not something I'm particularly bothered by as most refs let players away with extra steps. It was a quality goal alright but by the letter of the law it shouldn't have stood.

I'd be far more upset about the two mannions and Conor Cooney being fouled multiple times in a row and no frees coming. It kept Clare in it and killed our momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Fair play to this team and management. Dathi a animal. Joseph Cooney fantastic. Joe Canning nailing everything in yellow. And Whelao a magician mixed with the work rate of a tiger. Plenty of things didn't go right today. Plenty of decisions didn't go Galways way. But the went to the well again and again. Thankfully there was plenty of water left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

in today's game I think Clare were riding their luck slightly but you can't go to the well once too often. Beaten 3 times this year they don't deserve to be in a AI Final.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He was fouled (by Burke I think).

Think the refs tend to ignore the steps somewhat when a player is being fouled in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Thankfully not all Cork fans are sore losers.

Cadogan pulled for over carrying when it was a free out. Kearney pushed in the back in the lead up to first goal. Not a sore loser just stating facts.

awec wrote: »
    He was fouled (by Burke I think).

Think the refs tend to ignore the steps somewhat when a player is being fouled in the process.

Having seen it again, he was being held alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Cadogan pulled for over carrying when it was a free out. Kearney pushed in the back in the lead up to first goal. Not a sore loser just stating facts.

Exactly Cork were the better team and had Limerick in their pocket for 63 mins. Few ref decisions helped Limerick gain momentum and Limerick had the better bench to finish the game. Think Galway will win the final. Pressure of winning and hype might affect Limerick like 2007.

Pressure is on Galway. I think Limerick will bring a performance but Galway are a fantastic side. A few weaknesses shown today though. Hanbury was roasted but O Donnell is class I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Pressure is on Galway. I think Limerick will bring a performance but Galway are a fantastic side. A few weaknesses shown today though. Hanbury was roasted but O Donnell is class I guess.

O donnell scored a goal, and be was in at FF for that.

Hanbury did fine. He always does fine. I think I love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Traffic to today's game was absolutely chronic.

• Advertisement

Clare crowd should have went by Tipp town or Newport. I think Clare and Galway went the same way so traffic was chronic. They should have left out some of the fat trainee guards in Templemore to direct traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement