Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Just nabbed mine, didn't see any link on Tickets.ie but got them via the GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Hard to criticise that performance really considering the injuries we had to key players coming into the match. Clare are a super side and they were always going to come back from that deficit.

Thought Joe and Daithi gave a masterclass in leadership out there and both died with their boots on. We're blessed to have them playing in the same team. Whelo was another man who came up trumps when we needed scores.

Joseph Cooney had his best showing of the year and was absolutely fantastic in the first half.

Padraig Mannion at CHB was utter class again and himself and Harte worked their bollocks off. Coen was much improved from last week tbf.

My big hope for the final is that it's very hard to do a job on Johnny Glynn for 70 minutes. Even last week he was being fouled on puckouts but still created super goal chances. He's at the top of his game now and is a genuine dirty ball winner too.

Any win yesterday was a huge success. Job done, no extra time. The hunt for tickets was alive from 4pm yesterday on the walk back to the car. Hope that result will encourage more Galway heads to support our footballers on Saturday.

Glynn, daithi, Joe, Padraig Mannion and Whelan have dug us out of holes this season.

There are a number of underperformers compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

threeball wrote: »
    What have the footballers been involved in. Haven't seen anything bar two Damien Comer interviews.
    Usual Craic with the Hurlers, it's always past players throwing their oar in. Current teams rarely do any media stuff.

Alot of the footballers were in Ballybrit during the week. Not the place to be playing a big match on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

djPSB wrote: »
    Alot of the footballers were in Ballybrit during the week. Not the place to be playing a big match on the Saturday.

I saw lot of the hurlers in ballybrit too. Hardly makes a blind bit of difference, what would you prefer them do? Sit on their arses for a week before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

meriwether wrote: »
    Glynn, daithi, Joe, Padraig Mannion and Whelan have dug us out of holes this season.

There are a number of underperformers compared to last year.

I'd agree but I think Touhy and C Mannion have also been very good.
    Surely there is one big game in David Burke, Niall Burke and Conor Cooney.
    If them 3 can get 8pts between them in the final I think we win. And they are well capable of doing it
    Also think Flynn will play bigger part in final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Just on the topic of Galway GAA, in general one of the things that struck me about both Galway games this weekend, (which I thankfully got to both !) is the ability and opportunity to score goals.
    The footballers were behind, fair play to Monaghan, they deserved their win, took better scores, better free takers, more desire, well done to them much as I hated seeing them celebrate like they had won the Sam at the end of the game. When the game got to the last 5 minutes and we needed goals there was more chance of it raining Euros than scoring a goal. Monaghan pulled everyone probably bar McManus behind the ball, you had no chance. We were getting frustrated and lobbed the odd ball in vain hope into the square, but no chance. Danny Cummins in fairness came on with that in mind and had a left foot shot blocked as it had to go thought about 20 players in a small area. We still would have needed more goals anyway. It was hard to watch. It reminded me of maybe that's why Soccer devised an offside rule. We needed to get those goals in the first half and scores in general when the game is more open.
    Hurling on the other hand due to being able to score from further out and a much less congested goal area leads to a much more exciting spectacle. Comebacks happen better and more frequently as shown in recent games, how safe is a 7 point lead in hurling compared to football? right up to the final whistle I thought that Clare might get a goal, and but for the width of the post they nearly did !!! A way better fare to watch, no matter what County you support.
    Big congrats to Monaghan and good luck to them in the semi final, we should not let the defeat take away from a good year and we should go all out next week in Croaker v the Dubs and hope the game is a good open match with lots of skills and scores, but football as a game needs to change, it really does. Hurling has always been a magnificent game, a game were the aim is to go forward quickly, have a fair contest, play hard and fair, but football is helping its promotion by being the opposite of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Robson99 wrote: »
    I'd agree but I think Touhy and C Mannion have also been very good.
    Surely there is one big game in David Burke, Niall Burke and Conor Cooney.
    If them 3 can get 8pts between them in the final I think we win. And they are well capable of doing it
    Also think Flynn will play bigger part in final

I thought David Burke played well yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

djPSB wrote: »

Bull**** post , players are human they are entitled to enjoy themselves , if they.had a few pints too what harm . The world has gone too serious nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

spurshero wrote: »
    I thought David Burke played well yesterday

Think there is much more in him. Hasn't been as good this year as last but think he could be motm contender in final if ha can find that little bit more

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Bull**** post , players are human they are entitled to enjoy themselves , if they.had a few pints too what harm . The world has gone too serious nowadays
    Typical wasters attitude. That's the difference between a poster on Boards and an All-Ireland winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Typical wasters attitude. That's the difference between a poster on Boards and an All-Ireland winner.

You do realise that there were All-Ireland Winners there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

:rolleyes: sure it is ....we were acutally talking about the galway footballbers too;)

You do realise that there were All-Ireland Winners there?
    You do realise we're talking about the Galway football team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If you can't see the irony in your own post I'm not going to spell it out for you. Best of luck in the final :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

This post can’t be serious 😂😂😂😂

• Advertisement

If you can't see the irony in your own post I'm not going to spell it out for you. Best of luck in the final :)
    No worries... just do us all a favour and take out the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

No worries... just do us all a favour and take out the Dubs.

Haha lol rofl lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hear it will be James McGrath for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GiraffeOnFire

Kevin Walsh, the head honcho, has two All Ireland medals more than you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

It's a great time to be a galway gaa fan. The very best of times. Two teams who will go out on shoulders, or on their shield. What more could you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

My nephew is on the 21 panel best of luck to them we can have 3 teams in the finals

My nephew is on the 21 panel best of luck to them we can have 3 teams in the finals

We've a great chance on Wednesday.

meriwether wrote:
    We've a great chance on Wednesday.

I agree. Worry about the final though if we can get to it. This Cork teams looks like another exceptional team Galway could run into. Tipperary 09 and the recent Waterford and Limerick teams spring to mind. But it would be great to have minor U21 and senior in an All Ireland Finals.

I agree. Worry about the final though if we can get to it. This Cork teams looks like another exceptional team Galway could run into. Tipperary 09 and the recent Waterford and Limerick teams spring to mind. But it would be great to have minor U21 and senior in an All Ireland Finals.

The momentum to do the treble will see us over the line in the U21 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Prediction for final......

LK 2-28 Galway 1-31 with Galway to sneak it in replay 2-23 to 1-24.......canning to get mom and hoty awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Prediction for final......

LK 2-28 Galway 1-31 with Galway to sneak it in replay 2-23 to 1-24.......canning to get mom and hoty awards

If Galway win, Padraig Mannion is a shoe in for HOTY. He's been immense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

The Canning effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

A clare man here. First off congrats and best of luck in the final. I'll be hoping ye win and I think ye will.

The clare side of things is being well discussed on other threads and no need for it here.

Just a note on Canning though. I think we saw a side of him Sunday that we haven't seen before and, in my opinion, it was a great side to see from a Galway point of view. He crossed the line several times and was like a man possessed. It was as if he said to himself I got bullied around the field the last day and it won't happen today. From the off he was giving Cleary loads of it and he kept it going right the way through to even his interview at the end! That's the attitude you need from your big players to get you over the line in tricky situations.

He's as good a hurler if not the best that I have seen since I can remember hurlers from around the late 80's.

Would of preferred someone else other than Owens as ref.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The Canning effect.

For which an infraction was given against Canning.

• Advertisement

Would of preferred someone else other than Owens as ref.

I'd prefer John Kiely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

threeball wrote: »
    If Galway win, Padraig Mannion is a shoe in for HOTY. He's been immense.

I was surprised he wasn't nominated for man-of-the-match. Consistently excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Does anyone know if you be able to pay at the gate in limerick tomorrow evening for U21s or do you need to bring a ticket?

El festino wrote:
    Does anyone know if you be able to pay at the gate in limerick tomorrow evening for U21s or do you need to bring a ticket?

You can pay at the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

meriwether wrote: »
    I'd prefer John Kiely.

He did a good job of calling for hawk eye in the semi final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

In relation to traffic, I got bus to Limerick and train across to Thurles and it worked fine. Did same for Kilkenny reply as getting tired of driving the fairly poor roads down there. I heard that the barrier on the motorway tunnel in Limerick was lifted, so things could have been even worse.
    Game should have been in Croke Park and it was noticeable that Galway fans were arriving late, but I have to say the atmosphere was great. We were outnumbered by 3 to 1, I would estimate. Plenty of tickets available around the ground, another example of the poor organisation of this fixture.
    For me the crucial difference was the number and type of wides Clare had. Us Galway folk can understand how the banner fans feel as Galway hurlers have come up short often due to the same factors. Sign of a good team etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Any idea when clubs will start having member draws for tickets? In previous years they have taken place the Friday of the weekend before but I know it could be different now with a quicker turnaround between the semi and final.

Galway Vs Tipperary U21 put back 15mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Galway Vs Tipperary U21 put back 15mins

Galway massive favourites but in a bit of trouble.

• Advertisement

Galway massive favourites but in a bit of trouble.

Goal hasn't helped. Breeze is very strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Brian Concannon after getting straight red, that will rule him out for Sunday week i presume?

Brutal decision based on an over reaction. Linesman shouldn't get a game again.

But why put yourself into that position.

Game over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Concannon deserved his red. Headless behaviour.

He deserved it. Jesus you can't do what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Unbelievably stupid by Concannon...in saying that the way the tipp guy went down I thought there was a sniper in the crowd. He hit him no harder than nearly all the tipp players who shouldered into their opponents after scoring a point.

Looks game over now. Galway very wasteful in the first half - lot of very bad wides

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Game over now.

Linesman shouldn't get a game again...

That wouldn't be one of those over reactions though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Game over now.
    100% a red card, doesn't matter how hard you strike.

Call me a pessimist, but I still don't think its game over yet....maybe its just the way Tipp have been this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Linesman shouldn't get a game again...

That wouldn't be one of those over reactions though?

Thoroughly deserved red. Pure stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserved red. Pure stupidity.

Think you're preaching to the converted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

That red card for the Tipp player is one of the worst decisions you'll ever see. Sean Cleere is an absolute joke of a ref.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement