Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Getting nervous already. I wouldn't begrudge Limerick an All Ireland but I've seen so many lost finals that I want our lads to grab as many as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mad rumours going about the place about what JP has promised the Limerick players should they win. Apparently he stuck a few hundred grand on Limerick to win it back a few months ago at something near 20/1 and has promised the players a slice of the pie should they do it..... or so the rumour goes.

Mad rumours going about the place about what JP has promised the Limerick players should they win. Apparently he stuck a few hundred grand on Limerick to win it back a few months ago at something near 20/1 and has promised the players a slice of the pie should they do it..... or so the rumour goes.

Seems like he's offering it to the wrong team :D.

Surely a life time of effort is motivation enough.

Got sorted this evening... Took longer than usual but I got there in the end.

Hoping for a good start to my holidays as I'm flying out Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Referees have done us no favours all year...just hope it's not the same tomorrow.
    Horgan on the line is also a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The day is nearly here. Think we'll need a performance that we haven't got in the past 12 months to win. Don't think we've hit full flight yet this year, semi final performances won't be good enough to beat Limerick. Probably need more than last year's All Ireland but I think this team have it in them. They have not peaked yet.

Tomorrow get the flags and colour out in Croker. We were badly out numbered and out coloured in Thurles against Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Have heard rumours that JP has secured all the tickets from non competing counties. Apparently contacted all 29 county secretaries who received tickets offering them X amount to send tickets their way rather than back to Croke park. Could mean a big Limerick crew there tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

mjp wrote: »
    Have heard rumours that JP has secured all the tickets from non competing counties. Apparently contacted all 29 county secretaries who received tickets offering them X amount to send tickets their way rather than back to Croke park. Could mean a big Limerick crew there tomorrow.

Not true,our club got 4 tickets and handed them out to members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Heard he has given each county secretary a share in a new horse and promised them tickets to grand national and gold Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Referees have done us no favours all year...just hope it's not the same tomorrow.
    Horgan on the line is also a worry.

All counties have similar grievances about referees this year, not exclusive to Galway. Its become virtually impossible to referee at the top level now with the speed of the game, you are going to see more and more mistakes from officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

kala85 wrote: »
    Heard he has given each county secretary a share in a new horse and promised them tickets to grand national and gold Cup.

The more JP puts at stake the better. Puts more pressure on Limerick players to win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

djPSB wrote: »
    The more JP puts at stake the better. Puts more pressure on Limerick players to win :)

Heard each player was on 20k each to win but prob rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

Lads this sounds ridiculous but I’ve never been on the Hill before, only ever had seated tickets; but my friend has a Nally ticket, would she be able to come to meet me on Hill 16 side once she’s in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best of luck to the seniors and the minors tomorrow. Both sides have done us proud this season regardless of what transpires in the respective finals.

Safe travels to all making the trek to Croker and with a bit of luck we might be beeping over the Shannon tomorrow night.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    All counties have similar grievances about referees this year, not exclusive to Galway. Its become virtually impossible to referee at the top level now with the speed of the game, you are going to see more and more mistakes from officials.

I think the standard of present refs is poor.
    Are the best refs in the country really on the national panel?
    If they are the best refs then god help us.

Although I think Johnny Murphy who is referring the Minor tomorrow is not a bad ref. I think he is decent enough.

What's the chances of a draw tomorrow.

I think Galway will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SarahOH wrote: »
    Lads this sounds ridiculous but I’ve never been on the Hill before, only ever had seated tickets; but my friend has a Nally ticket, would she be able to come to meet me on Hill 16 side once she’s in??

No. They are two separate sections separated by a barrier . Officially, you can't cross over from one to the other, but it doesn't stop people from trying to hop the barrier. It's a fairly common thing to attempt, as the view from the Hill is much better than from the Nally.

The stewards & Guards are usually quite vigilant at stopping people from trying to hop the barrier, as it's a genuine health & safety risk to have too many people squeezed onto the Hill. However, if you get there early enough, when it's emptyish, you may be able to get a steward to turn a blind eye. Once the Hill starts to fill up, forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

No bookie would take a bet like that so it's just a nonsense rumour.

And I doubt the Limerick players need any financial motivation tomorrow anyway, they have a chance to become legends and to do something that very few Limerick hurlers have ever done.

I think Galway will shade it but for me this one looks tougher than last year. I was very confident we'd beat Waterford but can't have us as much more than slight favourites this time around.

Let's hope it's a classic final though, as a fitting end to a great hurling championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

It’s s great time to be a Galway hurling supporter
    Get behind the boys tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

kala85 wrote: »

A friend told me that James Owens collected a new top of the range Mercedes at Frank Hogan's dealership in Limerick during the week and is promised a 2 week holiday in JP's Sandy Lane hotel in Barbados in the company of Stormy Daniels, if Limerick win.
    Also the ref that disallowed a perfect Limerick goal in the 96 final is now destitute and homeless and spends his days trawling soup kitchens.!!
    My 'friend' read it on some internet forum so it must be true....;);)

The GAA on are on a winner anyway charging 80e a ticket for an amateur sport and not having to pay the players

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Best of luck to the Galway teams today.

A double double would be unbelievable.

Gaillimh Abú

Safe travels to all heading to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

djPSB wrote: »

Knowing JP that's only for starters. It's unknown the riches this man has accumulated. People don't realise what a hurling man he is. Eamonn Cregan and Ned Rea were late out of the dressing room for the final of 73. They were helping JP into the dressing room through a small window. Now that hes a billionaire he 'll look after everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

aidan24326 wrote: »

No bookie would take a bet like that so it's just a nonsense rumour.

I do not know if the bet is true but bookies do take bets like that all the time. Perhapa not in your street bookies but high rollers have direct access to accounts with massive limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Limerick best place was around 14/1 . You be lucky to get a couple of hundred on at those prices before bookies would slash their price . So that rumour and other jps rumours are bs

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm much more excited about today than I was last year. The dread that this team would never make the breakthrough obviously isn't there this year so I'm just looking forward to the matches.

Gaillimh Abú

It was posted to show the ridiculousness of it lads. Relax quoting me there.

Anyway busy motorway, be great to see a decent crowd watching the minors as well but experience tells me that's unlikely.
    Have to say it's a different feel to last year, was twice as nervous despite us being bigger favourites. Hopefully the players are feeling something similar and can play to their ability today. If they do they'll win comfortably, but I can't see anything other than a tight game either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Limerick team in the crowne plaza santry right now. I'd encourage all supporters to get in and wish them well. I'm sure they've a few tickets still going spare too.

Jesus lads this is grim.

It's about 80/20 to Limerick, you'd swear we're only in the minor game.

How did they get this many tickets , it's not as if there wasn't interest and we outnumbered Waterford last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Jesus lads this is grim.

How did they get this many tickets , it's not as if there wasn't interest and we outnumbered Waterford last year.

Next to impossible get a ticket. Any good Galway pub in Dublin to watch it?

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Limerick team in the crowne plaza santry right now. I'd encourage all supporters to get in and wish them well. I'm sure they've a few tickets still going spare too.

And I'd encourage all Limerick supporters with an ounce of cop on, to leave the players alone. They're playing in an AI final in a couple of hours FFS. Leave them be !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    And I'd encourage all Limerick supporters with an ounce of cop on, to leave the players alone. They're playing in an AI final in a couple of hours FFS. Leave them be !

:D:D:D

Jesus lads this is grim.

JP was greasing palms round the county board circuit apparently

threeball wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Wanker ! :p

That was some second half from the minors.

Jesus lads this is grim.

60/40 at worst.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    That was some second half from the minors.

Mcdonagh made a big impact. Great to see lads from all areas of the county coming through.

What a load of rubbish.

Zero learned from the previous games.

Pucking it short and no idea where to go next bar down the line or take someone on... Limericks pucking it short and being able to fumble it and pick it up.

Terrible balls into forwards and Limerick being able to put balls in front of their forwards.

Must have pucked 1-4 to them in poor passes.

Not sure on the wide count but as bad as the last few games I'm sure.

Can't expect to win an AI scoring 2 points in 20mins of the half.

Stinking the place out but still in the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

People will say what great character to come back but sorry that was utterly scandalous. To play like that for 90% of an all Ireland final is a joke. Where was the hunger ? Shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Didn't turn up today at all, we made an awful lot of mistakes but a lot of that is down to the pressure Limerick put us under to be fair to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

People will say what great character to come back but sorry that was utterly scandalous. To play like that for 90% of an all Ireland final is a joke. Where was the hunger ? Shocking

They choked on the day. With Kilkenny and Tipperary gone from an early stage the pressure was on Galway as favourites. Galway's list of near misses grows longer, 20 All Ireland defeats now.

How bad was that.

Limericks were ripe for the taking and we still lost it.

MD either needs to wield the axe on the squad and bring in some new coaches or he should leave as that's numerous repititions of that clueless play.
    We've done that numerous times in the league the past few years but brought it to championship this year.

Think too many players are too comfortable.

Ffs two backs getting balls taken off them for goals in an AI and Burke pucking them the other.
    Hit or lost 75% of their scores to them.

Never been as angry or depressed after a final.

Agree with the above sentiments, I think it's among the most disappointed I've been leaving Croker after a Galway game, and I'm talking both codes. We left that one behind. There's no 2 ways about it. We played for 10 mins, didn't bother with the other 70. Absolutely flat. Incomprehensible considering the stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Galway were poor but two of their goals should have been frees out. He should have dealt out a few cards too. It's infuriating watching a sport and not seeing the rules implemented consistently.

Genuinely think he's a very poor referee.

Galway weren't Google enough in the middle of the park for the 2nd quarter in particular but when Limerick are more mobile you have to adjust we should be isolating matchup inside, if they want to double mark anyone then we've free bodies. MD not quick enough to react imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus I love all these internet experts 10 mins after losing an all Ireland final . Didn’t play well on the day that happens . But the usual lads can’t wait to stick the knife in . Maybe a few of ye should apply to be Galway manager in both codes as ye seem to have all the answers . To me them players are still hero s . Win together lose together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus I love all these internet experts 10 mins after losing an all Ireland final . Didn’t play well on the day that happens . But the usual lads can’t wait to stick the knife in . Maybe a few of ye should apply to be Galway manager in both codes as ye seem to have all the answers . To me them players are still hero s . Win together lose together

Fair play, guess all our opinions that aren't positive are invalid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Everybody is entitled to there opinion . But these lads are amateurs with normal lives like ourselves . They give a lot of themselves to wear the jersey . No matter what way ya look at it there after losing an all Ireland final by a point even if it could have been lot more . How do ya think they feel ? I was talking to a Galway footballer Friday night who says there getting constant stick off fans and very little support . He actually thanked me for going to Croke Park last sat as all they were hearing was what’s the point in going up to play Dublin . This was after they got to league final won Connacht and beat Kerry . I say they wonder why they bother at times . I think sometimes supporters should think of players that put in all the effort rather then themselves . This is just my opinion . Maybe I’m wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Hard luck Galway. I felt Galway didn't perform the way they normally can but Limerick played very well today and still at the very end Galway nearly won it. You have a great team and it's hard to take a loss today but no doubt you will be back contesting the All Ireland Final again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well said.serious misfire for the lads today but that's sport and they came up against a seriously hungry limerick side and still came within a point in the finish.
    The hunger will be back in the Galway side next year and congrats to the minors.a great crop of players coming up. And those questioning Michael Donoghue need to step away from the keyboard and head outside. The fresh air might better yere heads.onwards and upwards for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

10 minutes, bout the same amount of time Galway decided to play a bit of hurling

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement