Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

What the f**k was that free for! I hate the way they won't show replays in Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That was a disgrace. What a cheat, really hope Galway win after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

Johner wrote: »
    That was a disgrace. What a cheat, really hope Galway win after that.

Another aidan o Mahoney in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

threeball wrote: »
    Another aidan o Mahoney in the making.

Ah now, he’d do well to win 5 all Ireland’s and a couple of all stars.

munster87 wrote: »
    Ah now, he’d do well to win 5 all Ireland’s and a couple of all stars.

Disgraceful carry on. Nothing worse in sport than a cheat.

Nobody to blame but themselves.

Had a big lead but only scored 3 points going into injury time in the second half.

Silly turnovers in defence near the end costing them points.

Would question management as well over the last two games with brain dead decisions which(that last free was always going to be driven wide the way he kicked them against Meath and it just wasted a minute of the injury time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kicked it away really with 3 maybe 4 good goal chances squandered. I don't think Kerry had any. Maybe a half chance near the end. Got to take your chances in finals. Don't want to be too hard on very young lads though. Disappointed that the ref was conned by the amount of diving going on though. Minors shouldn't be able to fool an experienced ref so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway got destroyed in midfield......ultimately the losing of the match.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Galway got destroyed in midfield......ultimately the losing of the match.

Not really. They absolutely cleaned Kerry in midfield in the first half. Kerry did better in the second.

Not taking their chances was the big problem.

• Advertisement

Not really. They absolutely cleaned Kerry in midfield in the first half. Kerry did better in the second.

Should have been out of sight by half time but poor shot selection and goal fever put paid to that. A big lead at half time will bury most minor teams

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Hard to know how Galway will set up for next year.
    Dublin winning will definitely promote the incessant hand passing till a shot is on, to not cough up possession. Which will make next year's matches a total disaster.
    Or just go at Dublin like Tyrone did at the start. This is risky and only necessary against Dublin, so games in connacht next year I fear could be putrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway won midfield in first half - Raftery in particular was superb.

Kerry won midfield in the second half, which really gave them the platform to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

One of the subs for the minors today plays his club football in Kildare. How does that work?

Hard to know how Galway will set up for next year.
    Dublin winning will definitely promote the incessant hand passing till a shot is on, to not cough up possession. Which will make next year's matches a total disaster.
    Or just go at Dublin like Tyrone did at the start. This is risky and only necessary against Dublin, so games in connacht next year I fear could be putrid.

We should have at least 3 major additions next year so that's a plus and I don't think we need as many back. If we can't defend with the 6 backs and the two midfielders dropping in front plus one or two half forwards then we're wasting our time.
    I'd rather we went with at least 4 up front all the time and go at teams. We have really good footballers that other teams don't have. We still won't beat Dublin as we'll fall short in the stamina stakes as will every other team but I'd rather play football than sit back and bleed out slowly.

djPSB wrote: »
    One of the subs for the minors today plays his club football in Kildare. How does that work?

His Dad is from Galway and a big Galway supporter so I guess he grew up supporting Galway

• Advertisement

His Dad is from Galway and a big Galway supporter so I guess he grew up supporting Galway

Don't think you can just choose based on that though.

Must have played club football in Galway at some stage over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    We should have at least 3 major additions next year so that's a plus and I don't think we need as many back. If we can't defend with the 6 backs and the two midfielders dropping in front plus one or two half forwards then we're wasting our time.
    I'd rather we went with at least 4 up front all the time and go at teams. We have really good footballers that other teams don't have. We still won't beat Dublin as we'll fall short in the stamina stakes as will every other team but I'd rather play football than sit back and bleed out slowly.

Best of luck under current regime. Another year wasted in store I really fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Any one go to hurling matches over the weekend?
    Turlough were stronger than Clarenbridge.
    Thomas's looked very good in full flow but took foot off the gas in second half.
    Both deserved winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭I says

El festino wrote: »
    Any one go to hurling matches over the weekend?
    Turlough were stronger than Clarenbridge.
    Thomas's looked very good in full flow but took foot off the gas in second half.
    Both deserved winners

Portumna pissed on the chips against loughrea who got 5 unanswered points in last four minutes to win by three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Agreed 're Portuma vs Loughrea. Portuma had it well in control until very late. I think Loughrea were trailing right up until the 59th minute. Gort were very impressive against a very lacklustre Sarsfields. I know they got beaten well but Kevin Cooney from the Galway U21 team was unbelievable. Think he ended up with around 7 or 8 from play along with a sideline ball. Shots were from all the the pitch. Seen Gort twice this year and it's nice to see Richie Cummins back playing so well. Was dogged with injuries for many years.

• Advertisement

Agreed 're Portuma vs Loughrea. Portuma had it well in control until very late. I think Loughrea were trailing right up until the 59th minute. Gort were very impressive against a very lacklustre Sarsfields. I know they got beaten well but Kevin Cooney from the Galway U21 team was unbelievable. Think he ended up with around 7 or 8 from play along with a sideline ball. Shots were from all the the pitch. Seen Gort twice this year and it's nice to see Richie Cummins back playing so well. Was dogged with injuries for many years.

Heard it said Cooney has no great interest in playing county, but with a bit of application and playing with really good players around him, he could be a good option for the Seniors if he had a go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Strange question here:)

Joe Canning for last few years has been using a Canning hurl.

Can anyone tell me who made his hurls before this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

obi604 wrote: »

I know tony keady used to make some for him and he was very fussy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

I am very curious about this myself. Was he a boarder somewhere in Galway? Who drove him to training during the Summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

obi604 wrote: »

[/HTML]url]https://www.balls.ie/gaa/joe-canning-hurleys-tony-keady-388688[/url[/HTML]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Looks like the big break has really affected some teams, there were some real trimmings handed out, which contrasted mainly with the first 2 rounds

Very surprised to see Gort beating sarsfields so easily, Gort were completely outclassed in the corresponding fixture last year. They're a very inconsistent side

I think if it was played off earlier in the year Mellows would have been the favourites after the first 2 rounds, but after being on the go pretty much non-stop since December 2016 I can see it taking its toll by the quarters/semis.

Thomas's and Turlough are probably the best 2 sides on paper but a long way to go yet

I'm not a fan of this drawn out format though, the winners have to play 6/7 matches since the resumption after the summer (not incl. replays). There are way too many pointless group games and bang average teams in senior B. Throw in needless preliminary quarter finals and relegation semis into the mix and its no wonder it doesn't get finished till late in the year

The performances from last weekend, mean little or nothing in terms of classifying overall contenders, given the latter stages are likely to be played in completely different conditions later in the year. Its as if there are a few different championships in one

The Galway football champ is on the right track and the new proposed format (which Mayo football use now) of 4x4 groups is the way to go for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

The Galway football champ is on the right track and the new proposed format (which Mayo football use now) of 4x4 groups is the way to go for me

100% agree with this. Makes so much sense!!

fearruanua wrote: »

The Galway intermediate football championship which currently uses the format has benefitted hugely from it imo

Last round of group matches this weekend, with plenty at stake for basically every team in it!

I've given up trying to even follow the live permutations in the Galway hurling with the (imo) daft layout of 6 teams, and 5 separate weekend of fixtures.

I've given up trying to even follow the live permutations in the Galway hurling with the (imo) daft layout of 6 teams, and 5 separate weekend of fixtures.[/quote]

If I can recall back in the early nineties it was at different stages 4groups of five then five groups of four and was there 3 groups of six at one stage, I think. It was getting reworked nearly every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Totally agree with this too. It used to be this way. Top 4 play Second 4 in QF's.
    So complicated now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

jr86 wrote: »
    Looks like the big break has really affected some teams, there were some real trimmings handed out, which contrasted mainly with the first 2 rounds

Very surprised to see Gort beating sarsfields so easily, Gort were completely outclassed in the corresponding fixture last year. They're a very inconsistent side

I think if it was played off earlier in the year Mellows would have been the favourites after the first 2 rounds, but after being on the go pretty much non-stop since December 2016 I can see it taking its toll by the quarters/semis.

Thomas's and Turlough are probably the best 2 sides on paper but a long way to go yet

I'm not a fan of this drawn out format though, the winners have to play 6/7 matches since the resumption after the summer (not incl. replays). There are way too many pointless group games and bang average teams in senior B. Throw in needless preliminary quarter finals and relegation semis into the mix and its no wonder it doesn't get finished till late in the year

The performances from last weekend, mean little or nothing in terms of classifying overall contenders, given the latter stages are likely to be played in completely different conditions later in the year. Its as if there are a few different championships in one

Liam Hodgins is their coach/trainer this year and he is a shrewd operator

Yes but they are going very average in the league and were brutal against Portumna in the last round of championship

Its just a wide open competition these days with no proper ultra consistent side

In Mayo, clubs have home championship games at the group stage which I think is a brilliant idea. I went to one a couple of years ago and it brought a great buzz to that village on that day. I'd incorporate that into Galway too.

In Mayo, clubs have home championship games at the group stage which I think is a brilliant idea. I went to one a couple of years ago and it brought a great buzz to that village on that day. I'd incorporate that into Galway too.

Assume they won't do it in Galway due to the massive geographical spread of clubs

Ballinasloe v Clifden, Williamstown v Litir Mor etc. unless there was a maximum distance implemented

Assume they won't do it in Galway due to the massive geographical spread of clubs

Ballinasloe v Clifden, Williamstown v Litir Mor etc. unless there was a maximum distance implemented

True, didn't think of that.

The Galway intermediate football championship which currently uses the format has benefitted hugely from it imo

Last round of group matches this weekend, with plenty at stake for basically every team in it!

I've given up trying to even follow the live permutations in the Galway hurling with the (imo) daft layout of 6 teams, and 5 separate weekend of fixtures.

And you have to hand it to the football board. Finally they are going to reduce the number of senior teams to 16 and run it the way the intermediate is being run this year. I've been saying it for years that there were too many senior teams and the standard was suffering as a result. Currently 20 teams in senior. With three being relegated this year and one coming up from intermediate the 2019 championship will have 18 teams. 3 down 1 up again in 2019 which leaves the 2020 senior championship with 16 teams.

Not sure what is happening with junior A but I would be scrapping the west and north boards for junior A championship and have the same structure as senior and intermediate. 16 teams. 4 groups of 4.

Hopefully the hurling board might see the light soon.

And you have to hand it to the football board. Finally they are going to reduce the number of senior teams to 16 and run it the way the intermediate is being run this year. I've been saying it for years that there were too many senior teams and the standard was suffering as a result. Currently 20 teams in senior. With three being relegated this year and one coming up from intermediate the 2019 championship will have 18 teams. 3 down 1 up again in 2019 which leaves the 2020 senior championship with 16 teams.

Not sure what is happening with junior A but I would be scrapping the west and north boards for junior A championship and have the same structure as senior and intermediate. 16 teams. 4 groups of 4.

Hopefully the hurling board might see the light soon.

Hopefully, but the clubs themselves are usually the biggest obstacles to change. Won't vote for something if it means there's a threat of relegation hanging over them. This is true of many a thing that CBs get blamed for.

MfMan wrote: »
    Hopefully, but the clubs themselves are usually the biggest obstacles to change. Won't vote for something if it means there's a threat of relegation hanging over them. This is true of many a thing that CBs get blamed for.

Yeah i know. They don't see the bigger picture. I wonder how the football board got it through?

There are currently only 13 teams in intermediate hurling, room for a few more to be dropped from senior B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm not a fan of the current structure in the SFC. You've four groups in senior and four in intermediate. Should just be 4 up and 4 down. Don't think the drawn out relegation playoffs benefit anyone, just stretches out the misery of the struggling sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Right so after a good 2018 we have the League fixtures.

Sunday 27/1/2019
    Footballers home v Cavan
    Hurlers home v Laois

Saturday 2/2/2019
    Footballers away to Dublin
    Sunday 3/2/2019
    Hurlers away to Carlow

Saturday 9/2/2019
    Footballers away to Monaghan

Sunday 17/2/2019
    Hurlers home v Dublin

Sunday 24/2/2019
    Footballers home v Kerry
    Hurlers away to Offaly

Saturday 2/3/2019
    Footballers away to Mayo
    Sunday 3/3/2019
    Hurlers away to Waterford

Saturday 16/3/2019
    Footballers home v Roscommon *Listed as 2pm*

Sunday 24/3/2019
    Footballers away to Tyrone

Right so after a good 2018 we have the League fixtures.

Sunday 27/1/2019
    Footballers home v Cavan
    Hurlers home v Laois

Saturday 2/2/2019
    Footballers away to Dublin
    Sunday 3/2/2019
    Hurlers away to Carlow

Saturday 9/2/2019
    Footballers away to Monaghan

Sunday 17/2/2019
    Hurlers home v Dublin

Sunday 24/2/2019
    Footballers home v Kerry
    Hurlers away to Offaly

Saturday 2/3/2019
    Footballers away to Mayo
    Sunday 3/3/2019
    Hurlers away to Waterford

Saturday 16/3/2019
    Footballers home v Roscommon *Listed as 2pm*

Sunday 24/3/2019
    Footballers away to Tyrone

Tougher fixture list than this year with 4 tough away games. Dublin, Tyrone and Monaghan all away and Mayo as well who will be desperate for any kind of win over Galway at this stage.

You would hope they would beat the two promoted sides at home anyway but they'll be doing well to reach another league final next year.

grbear wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the current structure in the SFC. You've four groups in senior and four in intermediate. Should just be 4 up and 4 down. Don't think the drawn out relegation playoffs benefit anyone, just stretches out the misery of the struggling sides.

4 teams up from intermediate? That would never work and rightfully so

They tried 2 up from intermediate championship in hurling in the 00s and it got a poor reception, never mind 4. It took a lot of the gloss away from the final, with both teams going up anyway

The whole point of this new championship structure is to get rid of these "struggling sides". 6 teams will be relegated in the next 2 years

It's a perfect format imo.

Tougher fixture list than this year with 4 tough away games. Dublin, Tyrone and Monaghan all away and Mayo as well who will be desperate for any kind of win over Galway at this stage.

You would hope they would beat the two promoted sides at home anyway but they'll be doing well to reach another league final next year.

That's a very tough run of fixtures for Galway in the league

Dublin can take a few games to find their feet but Saturday night under lights in Croker they'll be very hard to beat, and then Monaghan away in another tricky fixture. Having to get a result in Omagh in the last game wouldn't be ideal either..

I can't see them making the final again, but I can't see them relegated either. I think Mayo will really struggle in the league and surely at least one of Roscommon and Cavan is going down, although I have a feeling Rossies will have a good go of the league next year

the hurling league fixtures wouldn't do much to whet one's appetite!!

• Advertisement

the hurling league fixtures wouldn't do much to whet one's appetite!!

Promotion definitely for 19

I says wrote: »
    Promotion definitely for 19

No advantage to promotion with current formats of league and championship.

4 teams up from intermediate? That would never work and rightfully so

They tried 2 up from intermediate championship in hurling in the 00s and it got a poor reception, never mind 4. It took a lot of the gloss away from the final, with both teams going up anyway

The whole point of this new championship structure is to get rid of these "struggling sides". 6 teams will be relegated in the next 2 years

It's a perfect format imo.

Would prefer 2 up/2 down myself, eventually. Keep Senior teams on their toes, keep the top level from going a bit stale, and I think the Intermediate final would actually be more competitive and entertaining in stead of being cagey, given that the strain of promotion wasn't at stake.

They had 2 up and down in the football too in the 90s/00s iirc but one up through championship, and one through league (both relegations were through league)

It caused controversy when county finallists in 2005 Carna were relegated through the league that season and played intermediate in 2006

That's a very tough run of fixtures for Galway in the league

Dublin can take a few games to find their feet but Saturday night under lights in Croker they'll be very hard to beat, and then Monaghan away in another tricky fixture. Having to get a result in Omagh in the last game wouldn't be ideal either..

I can't see them making the final again, but I can't see them relegated either. I think Mayo will really struggle in the league and surely at least one of Roscommon and Cavan is going down, although I have a feeling Rossies will have a good go of the league next year

Can see Galway doing a 'Waterford' on it next year unless the necessary 3 new defenders are brought in and 2 better forwards. Team needs a good bit of freshening up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement