Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The thing about that forward line is that you really could interchange between any of the new guys. You could easily have Cummins or Martin in there and have the same level of scoring power and I hate to say it but Nicky Joyce should be in amongst them. That said though Meehan and Joyce coming on as subs will give a hell of a boost to the team.

Delighted Higgins is in midfield. Aside from that Forde must be injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The thing about that forward line is that you really could interchange between any of the new guys. You could easily have Cummins or Martin in there and have the same level of scoring power

No, you could move either Armstrong or Hehir to number 12. They have both played in the half forward line in the past. Drop Flynn and bring in Martin or Cummins in the corner. That automatically increases your scoring power. But then you are taking away from the midfield sector. Flynn is there because we are poor at midfield and need three midfielders. The sacrifice seems to be a lack of scoring half-forwards. It is a trade off and I think it puts a big onus on Conroy & Armstrong.

You're right about Armstrong actually. Would have been better if he could float balls into Conroy from half-forward. With Hehir you'd have to move Flynn from 12 which isn't a good trade-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Martin is out with a knee injury, so I assume that's where the inclusion of Hehir at corner forward has come from. There isn't much scoring power in the half forward line alright, but they do a serious amount of work between them. Flynn will probably drop back into midfield too which is no bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think you need to have a big scoring threat inside. In other years we had that in Meehan or the Joyces, meaning Armstrong got played in the Half forward line. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does as the 'main man' on Sunday.

I wouldnt say it's guaranteed Forde is injured. He was taken off early enough against Kildare, and McGrath had a good league campaign. Forgive me for not being up on Roscommon's current corner forwards, but are they both nippy players, who McGrath might be better suited to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

2/1 Roscommon great price

TomKat wrote: »
    2/1 Roscommon great price

Conversly I think it's a shade too short. Should be 5/2 imo. Probably won't back Galway at 8/15 but I think it's slightly too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not sure how Hehir keeps retaining his place, can't recall a single good game that he's had in the senior team. Maybe he'll prove me wrong on Sunday.

Overall the forward line looks pretty ordinary and is very short on scoring power. I really don't know who came up with the idea that Damien Burke is a centre forward. Anyway we'll see what happens on Sunday, hopefully Mulholland and his selctors know best and have gotten it right.

For anyone heading to Hyde on Sunday the juniors play Mayo in the curtain raiser at 2pm.

Team:
    1 Neil Walsh
    2 Eddie O'Sullivan
    3 Chris O'Toole
    4 Ciarán Ó Domhnaill
    5 Declan Rattigan
    6 Conor Leyden
    7 David Reilly
    8 Eamon Ó Cuiv
    9 Robert Hughes
    10 Martin Coady
    11 Joe Joe Greaney
    12 Peadar Seoighe
    13 Cathal Coleman
    14 Niall Meenaghan
    15 Eoin Joyce (Capt)
    16 Padraig Mannion
    17 Paul Gleeson
    18 Mark Healy
    19 Aidan Geraghty
    20 Alan Molloy
    21 Kevin Reilly
    22 Richie Hynes
    23 Liam Carney
    24 Shane Mannion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Forgive me for not being up on Roscommon's current corner forwards, but are they both nippy players, who McGrath might be better suited to?

roscommon don't play corner forwards, they play with shine and kilbride up on their own, both are big tall men

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roscommon don't play corner forwards, they play with shine and kilbride up on their own, both are big tall men

Can you tell us a little more about the Roscommon team? I don't know too much about them apart from those 2. Will they have many playing from this year's U21s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Not sure how Hehir keeps retaining his place, can't recall a single good game that he's had in the senior team. Maybe he'll prove me wrong on Sunday.

Overall the forward line looks pretty ordinary and is very short on scoring power. I really don't know who came up with the idea that Damien Burke is a centre forward. Anyway we'll see what happens on Sunday, hopefully Mulholland and his selctors know best and have gotten it right.

For anyone heading to Hyde on Sunday the juniors play Mayo in the curtain raiser at 2pm.

The TribesmenGAA facebook and twitter pages will have the match tracker for the junior match.

Do you think Galway will get a good support on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

The thing about that forward line is that you really could interchange between any of the new guys. You could easily have Cummins or Martin in there and have the same level of scoring power and I hate to say it but Nicky Joyce should be in amongst them. That said though Meehan and Joyce coming on as subs will give a hell of a boost to the team.

Delighted Higgins is in midfield. Aside from that Forde must be injured.

Nicky didn't want to give the commitment required this year - he probably has given as much as he can to the demands of intercounty football at this stage. I've seen him out a number of times in Gaway over the past few months, looking like he's enjoying himself. He's well entitled to no more than anyone else, but there's no way Mulholland could make an exception for him, no matter how good he is. Saw him in a few games over the league, & while he still retains the class of old, he didn't look the fittest. You might get away with it in the league, but there's no way he'd survive come c'ship. Reckon he's about 31 now, so he may be a bit browned off it all at this stage. He was very unlucky in that his best years were during one of the bleakest periods in Galway football - aside from an U21 AI in '02, I reckon he only won 2 Connachts in '05 & '08. Probably didn't get to play in Croker too often either.

Would be cautiously optimistic about Sunday - reckon the forwards aren't as bad as being touted here. They put up a couple of decent score tallies towards the latter end of the league, so that tells me things are improving. We played very well v Kildare in the last game, & some experts are tipping them as dark horses for Sam.

Would be great to see a big maroon following, but I reckon it's more than likely to be the same old familiar faces again. I've set myself a target to bring 3 other non-regulars with me in my car - if all regulars did this it would quadruple our support!

Thats a little harsh really. He had some decent games during the league. He hasnt been spectacular but hasnt been awful either.
    I wouldnt say it's guaranteed Forde is injured. He was taken off early enough against Kildare, and McGrath had a good league campaign. Forgive me for not being up on Roscommon's current corner forwards, but are they both nippy players, who McGrath might be better suited to?

The choice wasnt between McGrath & Kelly. McGrath had an exceptional league campaign and was always going to be picked for this match. The choice was between Forde & Kelly.
    Would be cautiously optimistic about Sunday - reckon the forwards aren't as bad as being touted here. They put up a couple of decent score tallies towards the latter end of the league, so that tells me things are improving. We played very well v Kildare in the last game, & some experts are tipping them as dark horses for Sam.

The forwards are not bad at all. However, the likelihood is you wont get many scores out of Damien Burke or T. Flynn; they are both good players, just not scoring forwards. Gary Sice has been scoring during the league though and could be in for a promising championship if he can keep going that way.

I think the selection of Flynn at number 12 reveals a deep lack of faith in Bergin & Higgins at midfield. But back in O'Mahony's days, he liked to select a midfielder at number 12 sometimes too.

I dont see any reason why there shouldnt be.
    I really don't know who came up with the idea that Damien Burke is a centre forward.

He has put in many good performances there for Corofin. He was never actually a corner back and was only put there when Galway had nobody else. If I remember correctly, he played in the half forward line and as 3rd midfielder one year for the Galway U-21s. There is a common misconception that he is a natural corner back but he is not.

Whatever happens on Sunday, I am almost convinced that we will see these subs happen:

Joyce for D. Burke
    Meehan for Hehir
    Blake for [1 of the half back line].

The choice wasnt between McGrath & Kelly. McGrath had an exceptional league campaign and was always going to be picked for this match. The choice was between Forde & Kelly.

Sorry that was a typo, I meant to say 'that Kelly would be better suited to'. I was suggesting the same as you, that Kelly edged Forde out. McGrath looks to have his place sown up and rightly so

What are your thoughts on O'Donnell lads? Thought he had a stellar League especially against Meath. Would love to see him kick on as the half-back line can be found wanting a lot.

What are your thoughts on O'Donnell lads? Thought he had a stellar League especially against Meath. Would love to see him kick on as the half-back line can be found wanting a lot.

I think he's been a hell of a lot better over the past 2 years than people have given him credit for and has found his feet at this level. He's an automatic starter at this stage, which says as much as anything

I think he's been a hell of a lot better over the past 2 years than people have given him credit for and has found his feet at this level. He's an automatic starter at this stage, which says as much as anything
    I definitely wasn't a fan of his at inter-county but saw him have a few great matches for Tuam last year and seemed to develop from that. Think he scored twice against Tyrone too.

Starie, any idea if I buy a stand ticket will I be eligible for the student refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Starie, any idea if I buy a stand ticket will I be eligible for the student refund?

Yes that's the way it works. Buy your ticket and your'll get the refund at the gate, same goes for O.A.P.'s. There should be a gate marked student/O.A.P. Bring your card or else not a chance of getting a refund.

Better update below...............

http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=74

Roscommon team named

Geoffrey Claffey
    Seánie McDermott
    Niall Carty
    Seán Purcell
    Cathal Dineen
    Peter Domican
    Ian Kilbride
    Michael Finneran
    Karol Mannion
    David Keenan
    Cathal Cregg
    John Rogers
    Senan Kilbride
    Darren McDermott
    Donie Shine

• Advertisement

dartsfan wrote: »
    Can you tell us a little more about the Roscommon team? I don't know too much about them apart from those 2. Will they have many playing from this year's U21s?

none of the under 21s start, i thought niall daly was a certainty but he has gone with cathal dineen whom i don't really rate at all at number 5, i would like to see 19 year donie smith get a run out at some stage on sunday, best talent i have seen in roscommon for a long time

newton in the league (if we read into that) played a defensive short sloooow handpassing style, in defense roscommon fullback carty has no competitive football this year so i expect galway will target him, midfield are big but very immobile

half forward line cathal cregg (along with shine and kilbride) has to play well if roscommon are to win this game, david keenan is a workhorse, darren mcdermott under 21 from last year and this is only his 2nd championship start, rogers shouldn't be near the squad let alone starting

Starie1975 wrote: »
    The TribesmenGAA facebook and twitter pages will have the match tracker for the junior match.

Hopefully. It's not a long trip to Hyde Park for most Galway football supporters (Connemara excepted) so no excuse really. Be disappointing if there wasn't a good showing, with the bonus of having the juniors on aswell.

Thats a little harsh really. He had some decent games during the league. He hasnt been spectacular but hasnt been awful either.

I don't think I was that harsh. I didn't say Hehir has been awful but for me in the few games I've seen him play he's been ineffectual and a bit disappointing overall given his good performances for the U-21s. He may come good yet of course, and Sunday would be a very good time to do it.

Will Hehir be on frees or will Armstrong take over that role?

Before this league campaign, I would have said he was not up to this level. However, after this league campaign, he has earned his place and deserves to be there.

He actually reminds me of Dirk Kuyt. When Kuyt came to Liverpool first, Benitez constantly played him despite the fact he wasnt that great. He was given so many chances & opportunities that eventually he came good! The same can be said for O'Donnell this year! In fairness to him, he was played at midfield a lot so maybe that was why he never settled into the team before.

Interesting question. Conroy also took some during the league (Usually the ones further out)

There is also only one left footed forward on that Galway forward line (Sice) so I assume he will be taking those frees.

I'm fairly certain it'll be Hehir, and I believe it's a factor as to why he is in the team.

I really hope some bookie is offering an over/under on Hehir's points total. I remember making a fortune a couple of years ago when they didn't realise Farragher would be taking frees over Canning in a game against Wexford

• Advertisement

Interesting question. Conroy also took some during the league (Usually the ones further out)

There is also only one left footed forward on that Galway forward line (Sice) so I assume he will be taking those frees.

Don't think I ever saw Sice take a free for Galway. We used to be spoiled for freetakers but not so much now, and a reliable freetaker is vital.

Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure Galway once started a championship match with 6 left footed forwards which must be a record. You had Fallon, Joyce, Savage, Meehan, P Clancy and M Clancy. Could do with a couple of those now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks Damien Burke at centre forward has been fantastic during the league? Particularly against Meath and Kildare. He's not a scorer but the amount of work he put in during those games was phenomenal. He plays the role of being the link between the forwards and backs, not much more, but does it very well. Always seemed to be ahead of his marker winning possession and then passing it on to a scorer. And he doesn't do much faffing about with hand passes either so ball is generally delivered nice and quick. I think he's been a revelation this year in that position.

That said, a few more classy scorers is needed for our starting lineup. It's not exactly a forward line that would strike fear into a defence. It's a functional lineup but unspectacular. We have some firepower but the big guns will likely only be seen in the second half of games, i.e., Joyce and Meehan. And we don't really know how Armstrong will fit back into the team.

Couldn't call the result on Sunday as I think while there's been some good performances in the league from unexpected players like Bergin, Higgins, O'Donnell and Conroy to an extent, they've been inconsistent in the past and could be again.

Hmm, I probably sound a little negative but in reality I'm not as I think we're in a much more interesting place that last year I just think a few more decent performances are needed to settle everything.

Anyway, seriously looking forward to Hyde Park on Sunday. The league was entertaining enough, but there's nothing like getting wound up at a championship match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Conversly I think it's a shade too short. Should be 5/2 imo. Probably won't back Galway at 8/15 but I think it's slightly too big.

Nothing to base that off, Galway's recent championship record is atrocious and Roscommon are playing at home with a significantly better recent track record. I wouldn't be beating on this game anyways but it's very close to a dead heat in reality.

none of the under 21s start, i thought niall daly was a certainty but he has gone with cathal dineen whom i don't really rate at all at number 5, i would like to see 19 year donie smith get a run out at some stage on sunday, best talent i have seen in roscommon for a long time

newton in the league (if we read into that) played a defensive short sloooow handpassing style, in defense roscommon fullback carty has no competitive football this year so i expect galway will target him, midfield are big but very immobile

half forward line cathal cregg (along with shine and kilbride) has to play well if roscommon are to win this game, david keenan is a workhorse, darren mcdermott under 21 from last year and this is only his 2nd championship start, rogers shouldn't be near the squad let alone starting

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I'd have started Rogers over Keenan if it had came down to an either-or. Rogers has been excellent in his new sweeper role.

Syferus wrote: »
    Can't see what you'd base that off, Galway's recent championship record is atrocious and Roscommon are playing at home with a significantly better recent track record. I wouldn't be beating on this game anyways but it's very close to a dead heat in reality.

I'm basing it off Roscommon's record against Galway, and their respective league campaigns. Also, catching Sligo on the hop 2 years ago does not translate to me as a significantly better track record. How long is the track record? I'd rate Galway's chances of winning this at about 70%, meaning 8/15 is slight value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway having Sean Armstrong back is a major boost (didn't have him last year) the options on the bench are better than Roscommon's with Joyce,Meehan,Bane,Martin,Coleman to come on.

Roscommon pushed Mayo all the way in the Connacht final & are more than capable of pulling off a shock however i think this game will come down to management & Alan Mullholland could be the ace in the pack for Galway.

• Advertisement

They also have a group of young players from last years very impressive u-21 all Ireland winning side. These players have got a taste of senior football throughout the league unlike Roscommon's runner-up's this year and are also a year further along in their development. Galway are also open for improvement from an improved management set up. Clear favorites in my opinion, but i'm not ruling out a Roscommon victory by any stretch

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I'd have started Rogers over Keenan if it had came down to an either-or. Rogers has been excellent in his new sweeper role.

rogers has had enough chances in senior football and like gerry heneghan has failed to deliver, the guy is 31 years old as well and we have plenty of younger, hungrier players we could be using with a view to the future instead of him

I'm fairly certain it'll be Hehir, and I believe it's a factor as to why he is in the team.

But is Hehir actually better than Armstrong at frees? Armstrong always seems prety reliable with them.

rogers has had enough chances in senior football and like gerry heneghan has failed to deliver, the guy is 31 years old as well and we have plenty of younger, hungrier players we could be using with a view to the future instead of him

He was fantastic in the league as a sweeper, better at attacking from deep than and moping up Keenan was. He had never played that role for the seniors before. Your attitude to league form is insane, by the way - it's only right if players shown skill and form throughout a league campaign that they start in the championship opener. Dineen, Rogers, Ian Kilbride and Darren Mc earned their places on Sunday almost exclusively from their league showings. Competition for places will drive this team to levels we haven't seen for quite some time.

What you (and alot of people) are failing to recognise is that Newton and his management team - all ex-defenders - have toughened up our overall defence and be it Dineen, Niall Daly, Ian Kilbride, Rogers, Finneran or Keenan we've shown a much better aptitude for defending this year and players have improved considerably in those areas. We'd have been a very stingy defence in the league if our midfield routinely let kick-outs rebound over and over in on the defence, and even then we only conceded 13 points a game, second only to Longford. If we at least break even in the middle we're not losing this game.

If we at least break even in the middle we're not losing this game.

I take it from that you think Roscommon have superior backs, forwards and/or subs bench. Id say you're in the minority there. If Galway get a decent split from kickouts I can see them winning this by 4+

Roscommon have better forwards and our backs are at least equal and we have plenty of talented reserves there. I couldn't rate any of Galway's forwards over Cregg, Shine or Kilbride. It's hard for ye to hear, but Galway no longer represent anything to be feared and at home a break even in the middle will be enough for us to win it. Galway will need some magical stuff to win if they can't win the middle over the game.

Roscommon have better forwards and our backs are at least equal and we have plenty of talented reserves there. I couldn't rate any of Galway's forwards over Cregg, Shine or Kilbride. It's hard for ye to hear, but Galway no longer represent anything to be feared and at home a break even in the middle will be enough for us to win it. Galway will need some magical stuff to win if they can't win the middle over the game.

Quite true. However we do have Joyce and Meehan to come on and those two could make the difference. Roscommon have nothing of that quality on the bench.

This is Roscommon Syferus not Kerry in the 70's. Neither team has great backs but you do have the better forwards compared to our starting forwards. I don't see Roscommon as good enough to blow this Galway side out of the water in the first 50 minutes TBH and the boost that Meehan and Joyce will give won't be matched by any Roscommon changes. By no means do I rate Galway as favourites but I don't have Roscommon on the same tier as Mayo this year. It will be a lot closer than you think on Sunday.

Also there'll be a massive screen in Hyde Park on Sunday which is a first for the Connacht Championship I think.

One isn't even fit and the other is 35, quality players but not without obvious drawbacks. O'Gara, Devanney, Higgins, Compton and Donie Smith have potential for dictating as much, if not more, of the game coming from the bench. Our biggest change this year is that our bench is filled with players we know can impact a game, something we'd been lacking in previous years.

but Galway no longer represent anything to be feared

That is true. However, I dont see how any sane person could claim that Roscommon are superior to Galway at the moment. Galway are division 2, Roscommon division 3. Galway performed well against top teams like Kildare & Tyrone during the league which gives credence to the optimism apparent amongst the Galway posters here. That said, there are a lot of flaws in this Galway team. Midfield is an obvious one and the full back line may be a line that is over-rated.

I expect Galway to win on Sunday. I dont think there will be a whole lot in it but I would certainly be expecting Galway to kick on from a promising league campaign.

Whatever about not fearing Galway, Roscommon are absolutely not a team to be feared.

• Advertisement

One isn't even fit and the other is 35, quality players but not without obvious drawbacks.

Age is absolutely irrelevant if you can still perform at this level. And all the suggestions are that Joyce can. We will have to see about Meehan.

I feel you are grossly under estimating this Galway side. And somewhat over estimating Roscommon. In fairness, I didnt see any of Roscommon during the league so I dont know a whole lot about them. Did you see any Galway matches?

By no means do I rate Galway as favourites but I don't have Roscommon on the same tier as Mayo this year. It will be a lot closer than you think on Sunday.

But how could you not rate Galway as favourites? They deserve to be favourites. Roscommon finished below Longford, Wexford & Sligo in the league. They finished above Antrim, Cavan, Tipp & Offaly. That is the most recent form and its pretty unimpressive....

I am not saying Galway are guaranteed to win this match. Far from it. I think it will be close. But to say Galway are not favourites is just mental...They have every right to be considered favourites.

But the favourite doesnt always win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Galway and Mayo will always remain as the kingpins of Connacht.

Roscommon do have an inferiority complex when it comes to these two teams, and rightfully so.

Roscommon have some of the most cynical and arrogant supporters around, and on Sunday, Galway will give them one heck of a battle.

You had the audacity to suggest Roscommon were the best in Connacht last year. Your theory was well and truly blown out of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't be beating on this game anyways but it's very close to a dead heat in reality.

The mind boggles as to how can Paddy Power still be in business offering 2/1 about even money shots :rolleyes:

In actual reality, Roscommon are probably ever so slightly overpriced at 2/1 and should be closer to the 15/8 some bookies are currently offering them at.

if galway are level or within touching distance with 60 mins gone...they will win
    if galway hold shine and kilbride to respectable totals.......they will win
    if both shine and kilbride play well......roscommon will win
    if galway play like they played last year in castlebar........roscommon will win

previous games between the teams and league form will mean little or nothing come sunday, its four years since these teams last met and alot of water has passed under the bridge since that time, in 2009 mayo ate us, 2 years later we outplayed mayo for the majority of last years connacht final, last year in the league leitrim outplayed roscommon and should have won, couple of weeks later roscommon wiped the floor with them in carrick in the championship

its 22 years since roscommon beat galway in the hyde in championship, a long time, if this was o'donnell managing roscommon i would be confident roscommon winning this, jury is still out on newton as manager

yes Syferus is overrating roscommon but galway fans are underestimating the rossies, on their day cregg, shine and kilbride are unmarkable, if galway stop the supply into those 3 then they will win this (probably with something to spare), if not it will be a long afternoon for galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hey guys, does anyone know of any buses heading up to the match on Sunday? My lift is looking a bit dodgy (really thought I'd have my licence for this Summer :( )

Age is absolutely irrelevant if you can still perform at this level. And all the suggestions are that Joyce can. We will have to see about Meehan.

I feel you are grossly under estimating this Galway side. And somewhat over estimating Roscommon. In fairness, I didnt see any of Roscommon during the league so I dont know a whole lot about them. Did you see any Galway matches?

This is the point that puts a bit of a wedge in most everyone getting up in arms - no one here but Roscommon supporters have actually seen Roscommon play since the Connacht final, which even then was in a blizzard.

Galway have been covered live or deferred and in extended highlights many times since then. I was even planning on going to see Galway v. Kildare instead of our dead rubber against Sligo if the organisers hadn't seen fit to switch it to Salthill. Galway have always draw more than its deserved share of coverage because TG4 is Galway-based and almost 50% of the Irish-speaking population are in the Galway gaeltacht. So yes, I've seen Galway.

Our league performance was hampered by a huge list of injuries, u21s success, St. Brigids' club championship run and the Sigerson Cup. And even then we were two more than kickable Donie Shine (who had his worst day in a Roscommon jersey, it should be said) frees from beating Longford in Pearse Park and probably being promoted. People would have a hugely different opinion of this game were that the case, but in reality it doesn't change our ability one iota.

All those issues have cleared up and we're operating from a much more complete deck, Sunday will be the first chance something approaching the true Roscommon first 15 will get a competitive game this year.

People are pulling opinions from their backsides because 'Roscommon is Roscommon', trying to become instant experts because they see a scoreline on the Six-One. Anyone with knowledge of the team will tell you we're a very tidy team fully capable of beating Galway at home, and no doubt they have no shortage of motivation to do so.

Put succinctly: Galway supporters are, in the main, under-rating Roscommon without much knowledge of them in any sense of the word. A dangerous concoction if ever there was one.

This game has everything needed to be the most memorable tie between the two since 1998 and 2001.

I am not saying Galway are guaranteed to win this match. Far from it. I think it will be close. But to say Galway are not favourites is just mental...They have every right to be considered favourites.
    They don't. They were in a League where they were in real danger of getting relegated at one point and every team bar Tyrone under-performed at some point. Galway won 1/4 home matches and lost to Westmeath away. There is a lot of potential in this side but in a championship where a corner back is debuting against Donnie Shine you can't be as confident to say they're favourites. You can't give a proper viewpoint on this side until after the first match. You don't know whether they'll be the confident side ala Kildare or the team that should have lost to Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

But how could you not rate Galway as favourites? They deserve to be favourites. Roscommon finished below Longford, Wexford & Sligo in the league. They finished above Antrim, Cavan, Tipp & Offaly. That is the most recent form and its pretty unimpressive.

It is even more unimpressive when you take into account both Tipp and Cavan were in turmoil at the time and both have changed their management since, and Offaly GAA (both codes and at all age groups) is at its lowest ebb since before their arrival to hte bigtime in the late 70's.

Syferus I admire your positivety and pride in your county but this is not the first thread where you have resorted to complete irrational hyperbole when talking about Roscommon players/teams, just try and be a small bit more impartial.

• Advertisement

It is even more unimpressive when you take into account both Tipp and Cavan were in turmoil at the time and both have changed their management since, and Offaly GAA (both codes and at all age groups) is at its lowest ebb since before their arrival to hte bigtime in the late 70's.

Syferus I admire your positivety and pride in your county but this is not the first thread where you have resorted to complete irrational hyperbole when talking about Roscommon players/teams, just try and be a small bit more impartial.

Nothing I've said is irrational or hyperbole.

It'd take some level of selective reading to find me saying anything other than this being a very, very close game. I wouldn't touch a bet on this game in a million years. These are two years on similar levels, with the perceived-to-be-weaker team at home.

Saying Roscommon are the equals of Galway isn't over-hyping them - Galway are at a low enough point themselves and even the winners will still have plenty of hurdles to over-come to reach the next level in their development.

Two mid-ranking teams playing each other for the right to play another mid-ranker. Perspective, lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement