Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Syferus wrote: »
    Roscommon have better forwards and our backs are at least equal and we have plenty of talented reserves there. I couldn't rate any of Galway's forwards over Cregg, Shine or Kilbride. It's hard for ye to hear, but Galway no longer represent anything to be feared and at home a break even in the middle will be enough for us to win it. Galway will need some magical stuff to win if they can't win the middle over the game.

You're completely overrating those 3 forwards. What has any of them done to be hearlded so much? Donie Shine is overrated in general as he puts up big scores from frees. A good player but not top class. I expect Finian Hanley to mashall him very well on Sunday. Better players than Shine have come away with nothing off Hanley.

I'd take Sean Armstrong above any of the forwards named and Paul Conroy as their equal. Who is better of the 2 sets of forwards is debateable, but i'd give the edge to Galway. I think our backs are better than Roscommons, they have noone of Hanley or Bradshaw's class.
    One isn't even fit and the other is 35, quality players but not without obvious drawbacks. O'Gara, Devanney, Higgins, Compton and Donie Smith have potential for dictating as much, if not more, of the game coming from the bench.

Laughable. The best Connacht Footballer in 40 years (still playing well), will have less impact than a few average footballers and unproven youngsters.

Anything can happen on Sunday and Galway regularly under preform, giving Roscommon a decent chance. But if both teams play to their full ability then there is only one winner

Roscommon have some of the most cynical and arrogant supporters around,

In Connacht at least. Mayo and Leitrim have very boistrous and passionate support, but they are very fair in their evaluations and are good winners and losers.

Not all, but a fair degree of Roscommon supportrs are exactly as described above. Always great when Galway put them back in their box. Which they generally do bar in 2001 although they did when it mattered later in the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You're completely overrating those 3 forwards. What has any of them done to be hearlded so much? Donie Shine is overrated in general as he puts up big scores from frees. A good player but not top class. I expect Finian Hanley to mashall him very well on Sunday. Better players than Shine have come away with nothing off Hanley.

I'd take Sean Armstrong above any of the forwards named and Paul Conroy as their equal. Who is better of the 2 sets of forwards is debateable, but i'd give the edge to Galway. I think our backs are better than Roscommons, they have noone of Hanley or Bradshaw's class.

Laughable. The best Connacht Footballer in 40 years (still playing well), will have less impact than a few average footballers and unproven youngsters.

Anything can happen on Sunday and Galway regularly under preform, giving Roscommon a decent chance. But if both teams play to their full ability then there is only one winner

I have to say I think both yourself and Syferus are both a bid deluded. I think most believe that the reality is that both respective teams lie somewhere between what your both saying. Roughly half way I'd imagine.

The two of ye are coming across as plain arrogant.

In Connacht at least. Mayo and Leitrim have very boistrous and passionate support, but they are very fair in their evaluations and are good winners and losers.

Not all, but a fair degree of Roscommon supportrs are exactly as described above. Always great when Galway put them back in their box. Which they generally do bar in 2001 although they did when it mattered later in the season

Sounds like a chip on a shoulder.

Sounds like a chip on a shoulder.

Why would I? They have never beaten Galway in the championship in my lifetime bar 2001 where Galway knocked them out later in the year.

I've heard horrible stuff being shouted in from sections of the Roscommon support at legends of the game such as Joyce, Donnellan and McDonald. Other Connacht fans, however loud and boisterous are at least respectful. There is also a level of arrogance. I'll again stress that it's a minority of fans, but the element is still there

I'll also add that I lived in Roscommon county for a number of years, so was used to a lot of this on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway haven't played Roscommon in years though either and they're a new and better side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

A lot of Galway fans opinions is coming from league games v Tyrone,Kildare however Westmeath,Louth both got results v Galway & both of them are around the same level as Roscommon.

I have to say I think both yourself and Syferus are both a bid deluded. I think most believe that the reality is that both respective teams lie somewhere between what your both saying. Roughly half way I'd imagine.

Fair enough. It seems my point of view is closer to the general public's opinion as the bookie's odds have Galway as comfortable favourites. And before ye say that's a bookie's opinion, it's not, it's the public's. Books are created on apparant public perception to create an even amount of bets relative to odds on either side.

I don't think it's at all deluded to say that the forward lines are comparable, but that Galway have a better defence and bench. I think it is deluded to state as fact that Roscommon will win this with an even split from the middle, like it's without question that the rest of their side is better.

We'll see on Sunday anyway. Nothing like a bit of trash talk prior to a championship game. It's been a long year coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You're completely overrating those 3 forwards. What has any of them done to be hearlded so much?

to be fair just the other day you didn't know of roscommons forwards......
    Donie Shine is overrated in general as he puts up big scores from frees. A good player but not top class. I expect Finian Hanley to mashall him very well on Sunday. Better players than Shine have come away with nothing off Hanley.

shines won minor, sigerson medals by being the main scorer on those teams, he has been top scorer in connacht this past 3 years and roughly half his scores come from play, on form he is very hard to mark, just watch this clip of shine been marked by michael shields who won the all-star that year e.g

hanley and shine will be an good battle, hanley will match up size wise with shine so that should make it all the more interesting

kilbride was man of the match in last years club all-ireland final where he gave aaron kernan and the others a roasting, he is deceptively quick and mobile for a guy his size, problem with kilbride is that he is very injury prone, missed all of season 2010, he went off in the league final last year seconds after scoring a great goal, got injured early in last years connacht final

rossie1977 wrote: »
    to be fair just the other day you didn't know of roscommons forwards......

I didn't know of their corner forwards. I assumed they would play one of Shine or Kilbride at FF and have the other out a bit. i thought there would be at least one u-21 in the FF line and I know little about them, having only seen them once (the no.15 looked very promising).

I think Kilbride is a good player to be fair, while Cregg is only decent. I'm still skeptical of Shine's status as a top class forward, however well he played in that stretch in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I didn't know of their corner forwards. I assumed they would play one of Shine or Kilbride at FF and have the other out a bit. i thought there would be at least one u-21 in the FF line and I know little about them, having only seen them once (the no.15 looked very promising).

I think Kilbride is a good player to be fair, while Cregg is only decent. I'm still skeptical of Shine's status as a top class forward, however well he played in that stretch in 2010.

I'm not even going to acknowledge your guff about Roscommon supporters, if you or anyone else tries to tar any group of supporters for the completely anecdotal actions of the few then you're lost and there's not much hope for you. I've heard plenty of abuse hurled by Mayo, Leitrim, Sligo, Meath, Cork, Tyrone, Donegal, Kildare and Kerry supporters over just the last two years of championship action and I've never felt the need to try to paint them in a poor light, you've got a grudge and if you don't know that you're the only one that doesn't realise it.

Cregg is easily one of the best half-forwards in not just Connacht but the entire country, he changes the entire pace of games and frays opposition lines. He draws more fouls than any player on the team, such is the problems defences have with him. He may not rack up huge points totals but don't dare let that fool you or anyone else, Cregg is most definitely the truth, game in and game out. Even when we're losing badly he's still one of best performers on the field. He would walk onto just about every county team.

Shine is probably the 'weakest' of the three, not as fast or as good in the air as Kilbride, but devastating if he gets fed proper ball.

77, Kilbride had an injury for most of the championship in 2010 but I wouldn't call him injury prone - he's played alot of football with Brigids' seasons extending into February and March the last two years and he has barely missed a single game through injury. He had one of his best performances against Tyrone last year while injured, spending most of his spare the two weeks leading up that game training at Brigids. He's alot tougher than people give him credit for.

It takes something to make out I'm being arrogant when I'm saying I believe my team to be the equal of a team that's done little to nothing in the championship in three or four years. That's facts, not opinion. It doesn't mean Galway are useless, it doesn't mean Roscommon are great. It just means this is one hell of a close game and an edge in the middle will be more than enough to decide it for either side. If arrogance is being honest then you're in for a very hard time this summer.

People can be aghast all they want, but Roscommon football is only returning to the level it had been at many times before. I'm not going to sit and play the poor mouth when I know in my heart we've nothing to be afraid of, that's exactly the sort of mentality that ran plenty of other Roscommon teams into the ground, 'sure let's give it a go'. This team thankfully doesn't have that mentality and neither do I. Win or lose, Roscommon football is very much going in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness I've been going to Connacht championship games for donkey's years and I can safely say that Roscommon fans are the "roughest" to deal with by far. Unbearable in defeat and even worse in victory (although I've only experienced one senior football defeat against them in 2001). As many run ins and tight Galway v Mayo games I've been to there is a certain odd mutual respect between the fans. That isn't really there with Roscommon who tend to want to rub it in your face afterwards if they win. Again this is only my own experience. Personally I have nothing against the Rossies at all. Hell I was even shouting for them against Mayo last year.

As for the weekend's game it looks a typical 50/50 encounter to me. Ultimately probably both Hulk Hands and Syferus are overrating their respective teams. I mean Cathal Cregg is being portrayed as some kind of superman. I would see him as the Roscommon version of Mattie Clancy. A good honest worker who would pop up with the odd score here and there. And in fairness sometimes it's an important score. I just don't see this unbelievable talent in him. And there's probably one or two Galway players I could say the same about.

In fairness I've been going to Connacht championship games for donkey's years and I can safely say that Roscommon fans are the "roughest" to deal with by far. Unbearable in defeat and even worse in victory (although I've only experienced one senior football defeat against them in 2001). As many run ins and tight Galway v Mayo games I've been to there is a certain odd mutual respect between the fans. That isn't really there with Roscommon who tend to want to rub it in your face afterwards if they win. Again this is only my own experience. Personally I have nothing against the Rossies at all. Hell I was even shouting for them against Mayo last year.

As for the weekend's game it looks a typical 50/50 encounter to me. Ultimately probably both Hulk Hands and Syferus are overrating their respective teams. I mean Cathal Cregg is being portrayed as some kind of superman. I would see him as the Roscommon version of Mattie Clancy. A good honest worker who would pop up with the odd score here and there. And in fairness sometimes it's an important score. I just don't see this unbelievable talent in him. And there's probably one or two Galway players I could say the same about.

Oh come on. I know hundreds upon hundreds of honest supporters who I've went to games with for all my life and I can barely remember even seeing a single incident like that. Roscommon supporters are as respectful, welcoming and helpful as any other county, and we certainly are more passionate than plenty of counties. I'm sure it happens but the scale is being comically exaggerated by comments here.

You know why Roscommon supporters would be a little more exuberant after winning a game against Mayo than Galway (or vice versa) would? It might have something to do with the very fact you alluded to, that it's only happened once in the last 11 years. It's alot more special for us than it is for you.

Perspective, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

c_man wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know of any buses heading up to the match on Sunday? My lift is looking a bit dodgy (really thought I'd have my licence for this Summer :( )

I sure do a mhac. Lally's coaches go to all away games. Always good craic on that bus. Bus leaving Bearna at 11.15 and from Jury's at 11:30. See link below for more info.

http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=74

You should join the twitter or facebook page we update all that infomation.

Couldn't recommend Lally's Bus highly enough. Went to the Mayo match last year and they waited till the Kildare match was over to leave. Add in the nice stop-off in the middle of nowhere pub for a sing-song and you've got yourself a cure for the blues. Be sure to have a few trad songs to sing on the bus too.

Couldn't recommend Lally's Bus highly enough. Went to the Mayo match last year and they waited till the Kildare match was over to leave. Add in the nice stop-off in the middle of nowhere pub for a sing-song and you've got yourself a cure for the blues. Be sure to have a few trad songs to sing on the bus too.

:D:D:D Sure I was on that bus myself, we stopped off in Shrule. Sore heads the next day.

As for the weekend's game it looks a typical 50/50 encounter to me. Ultimately probably both Hulk Hands and Syferus are overrating their respective teams.

It's not Galway I'm overrating. Even if they win they'll still only be an average side with potential. I just dont think Roscommon are as good as being touted here. I could easily be wrong and ill have no trouble congratulating any rossies if so. No point sitting on the fence though, rivalry just adds to the occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Roscommon fans are poor in defeat and in success. The Connacht final last year was one that will stay in my memory because the treatment Mayo fans received from the Roscommon stewards was an absolute disgrace, particularly the ones in the stand area. Not only that, when the Connacht final was played in McHale Park in 2010, Roscommon fans ran riot through Ballinrobe and Ballyhaunis burning Mayo flags and damaging property despite the fact that Mayo weren't even involved in the final. They did the same last year, pelting rocks at Mayo reg. cars despite losing.

Roscommon fans will always have a chip on their shoulder because Mayo and Galway will always be the big 2 in Connacht.

Good luck Galway on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

Roscommon fans are poor in defeat and in success. The Connacht final last year was one that will stay in my memory because the treatment Mayo fans received from the Roscommon stewards was an absolute disgrace, particularly the ones in the stand area. Not only that, when the Connacht final was played in McHale Park in 2010, Roscommon fans ran riot through Ballinrobe and Ballyhaunis burning Mayo flags and damaging property despite the fact that Mayo weren't even involved in the final. They did the same last year, pelting rocks at Mayo reg. cars despite losing.

Roscommon fans will always have a chip on their shoulder because Mayo and Galway will always be the big 2 in Connacht.

Good luck Galway on Sunday.

Nice generalisation there. Tarring all Roscommon supporters with the one brush. I can assure you that pelting rocks at cars, burning flags and damaging property is done by a small few and not all Roscommon supporters. As far as the treatment of fans at the Connacht final last year goes please be aware that these stewarts give up their day to help out from about 10 in the morning until about 6 that evening wit only a small meal given as thanks. They also have to put up with all the rowdy fans from both sides and yet can do very little about them. I have done this on a few occassions and the attitude of some people is just unbelievable, some think they can do whatever they like. I can assure you that these stewarts were just trying to do what was best for everyone in the ground. Rant over.

razor425 wrote: »
    Nice generalisation there. Tarring all Roscommon supporters with the one brush. I can assure you that pelting rocks at cars, burning flags and damaging property is done by a small few and not all Roscommon supporters. As far as the treatment of fans at the Connacht final last year goes please be aware that these stewarts give up their day to help out from about 10 in the morning until about 6 that evening wit only a small meal given as thanks. They also have to put up with all the rowdy fans from both sides and yet can do very little about them. I have done this on a few occassions and the attitude of some people is just unbelievable, some think they can do whatever they like. I can assure you that these stewarts were just trying to do what was best for everyone in the ground. Rant over.

I have never heard of fans from Mayo or Galway or any other county for that matter, who are as bad as Roscommon fans in defeat or victory. I have met other Connacht county supporters from Leitrim/Sligo who have stated likewise. Does a small minority of Mayo fans burn Roscommon flags or pelt their cars or damage their property? No.

However, it is the hatred and jealousy of Mayo and Galway that is quite pathetic from Roscommon. You can say that it comes from a small minority, but I can tell you that every Roscommon fan I have met has a chip on their shoulder and once they know you're a Mayo fan they instantly change their tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

I have never heard of fans from Mayo or Galway or any other county for that matter, who are as bad as Roscommon fans in defeat or victory. I have met other Connacht county supporters from Leitrim/Sligo who have stated likewise. Does a small minority of Mayo fans burn Roscommon flags or pelt their cars or damage their property? No.

However, it is the hatred and jealousy of Mayo and Galway that is quite pathetic from Roscommon. You can say that it comes from a small minority, but I can tell you that every Roscommon fan I have met has a chip on their shoulder and once they know you're a Mayo fan they instantly change their tune.

While I can't say I have seen flag burning from Mayo fans I have seen it from both Sligo and Leitrim fans. As far as pelting a car with stone goes, that is criminal damage no matter who does it and should be reported to the Gardai for them to deal with. I'm sure there would be plenty of them around at a fairly big match.

I can also assure you that Roscommon fans don't hate Mayo or Galway fans, but having to put up with an attitude like yours it wouldn't surprise me if more people did, especially as you state that every Roscommon fan has a chip on their shoulder. I have lots of friends in Mayo who I have a bit of banter with at matches and have never once had one of them complain about the behaviour of Roscommon fans.

razor425 wrote: »
    While I can't say I have seen flag burning from Mayo fans I have seen it from both Sligo and Leitrim fans. As far as pelting a car with stone goes, that is criminal damage no matter who does it and should be reported to the Gardai for them to deal with. I'm sure there would be plenty of them around at a fairly big match.

I can also assure you that Roscommon fans don't hate Mayo or Galway fans, but having to put up with an attitude like yours it wouldn't surprise me if more people did, especially as you state that every Roscommon fan has a chip on their shoulder. I have lots of friends in Mayo who I have a bit of banter with at matches and have never once had one of them complain about the behaviour of Roscommon fans.

You seem like an exception among Roscommon supporters. Obviously, not all of them are like that, but to a much higher degree than most other counties, Roscommon do have a high-level of begrudgery. For example, when Mayo got to the Semi-final last year, any Roscommon supporter I have contact with were supporting Kerry. For our defeat of Cork in the quarter, they had actually backed Cork with their support and were left eating their words on Monday morning.

Somebody mentioned the rivalry between Mayo and Galway as being a healthy one. I would second that. It is a friendly rivalry. Of course, as the two main teams in Connacht, Mayo and Galway fans will slag eachother but will support eachother in matches not involving their respective teams. Roscommon, on the other hand, would rarely do this.

I'll always remember the story of the Mayo fan who was having a cigarette at the back of the Hogan in 2006. A Ros fan asks for one, Mayo fan duly gives him it. They talk about the final between Mayo V Kerry. Ros fan finds out he's dealing with a Mayo fan here, throws away the cigarette and says 'I hope they wipe the floor with ye gang of f***ers'.

Roscommon do have a serious chip on their shoulder, but it is something to be pitied rather than argued, so I'll leave it there.

i was at the mayo dublin match in 2006 i can say for fact that all the roscommon fans in my section were supporting mayo, in fact here is proof, not every roscommmon fan will support mayo obviously, you can clearly see roscommon flags waving amongst the mayo support that day when mayo score e.g 13 seconds, 3mins 53, 5min mark

generalizations are ridiculous, one of my friends was chatting up a girl one night in leitrim and getting on great, she asked him where he was from and he said roscommon and she walked away, i was in coppers the night a mayo fan assaulted mark vaughn (rest of the mayo fans were great that night i know because i spent the entire night with a bunch of them) i was in the nally stand during a meath and dublin double header where whole match some dublin supporters were throwing bottles and other stuff at us

as for roscommon being jealous of mayo, i guess we are jealous of the fact that mayo is one of the few counties that have lost more finals in all grades than we have this past 50-60 years ;) mayo have won one more senior all-ireland than us, frustration of not being able to beat mayo at any level for 10 years is what i would call it, especially poor enough mayo teams at times, to suggest leitrim are jealous of roscommon is ridiculous despite the fact we have won far more than leitrim than mayo have compared to roscommon

can we get back to talking about the actual match instead of tarring the entire county of roscommon :pac:

Don't even bother getting involved with ChoclateChip, Razor - whatever about anyone else he's just trying his hardest to push peoples' buttons.

Don't even bother getting involved with ChoclateChip, Razor - whatever about anyone else he's just trying his hardest to push peoples' buttons.

How does that story about the teapot and the kettle go again?
    You come on to the Galway page slagging Galway and didn't expect to get a respone.

Starie1975 wrote: »
    How does that story about the teapot and the kettle go again?

I'm glad that saying Roscommon are the equals of Galway pushes so many of your buttons, but that's just a side-effect of a genuine opinion. I most certainly back up what I said with plenty of information so agree or disagree, but don't try to pull that one.

I'm glad that saying Roscommon are the equals of Galway pushes so many of your buttons, but that's just a side-effect of a genuine opinion. I most certainly back up what I said with plenty of information so agree or disagree, but don't try to pull that one.

I find it interesting how Roscommon winning the worst Connacht championship in 2010 has suddenly propelled them into being a decent team, at least in your book because Roscommon are an average side at the very best. You were beaten by Mayo last year, beaten overwhelmingly by the weakest Tyrone team in years and barely made it through your division 3 matches, yet you believe that they match Galway. Are you having a laugh? The next thing you'll say is that Roscommon match Mayo!

You see, Syferus, this is why people are saying you're a bit deluded when it comes to Roscommon football. Galway haven't performed in the last few years, but to make the assertion that Roscommon in any way compare to Galway, with the likes of Joyce, Meehan, Hanley etc. is quite frankly, incredible.

Galway will give ye one heck of a wake-up call on Sunday, and we'll see who matches Galway then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

I think Roscommon will beat us

What'll the weather be like Sunday I wonder? :D

Would love to see a great game of football played in the right way. Sick of the constant "Connacht is rubbish" you usually hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I find it interesting how Roscommon winning the worst Connacht championship in 2010 has suddenly propelled them into being a decent team, at least in your book because Roscommon are an average side at the very best. You were beaten by Mayo last year, beaten overwhelmingly by the weakest Tyrone team in years and barely made it through your division 3 matches, yet you believe that they match Galway. Are you having a laugh? The next thing you'll say is that Roscommon match Mayo!

You see, Syferus, this is why people are saying you're a bit deluded when it comes to Roscommon football. Galway haven't performed in the last few years, but to make the assertion that Roscommon in any way compare to Galway, with the likes of Joyce, Meehan, Hanley etc. is quite frankly, incredible.

Galway will give ye one heck of a wake-up call on Sunday, and we'll see who matches Galway then.

Congratulations.

What'll the weather be like Sunday I wonder? :D

Would love to see a great game of football played in the right way. Sick of the constant "Connacht is rubbish" you usually hear.

While I wouldn't necessarily go along with it, you can't blame people for saying stuff like that, the big games in Connacht have turned up very uninspiring fixtures over the last few years. The Galway-Mayo game last year (I think it was last year anyway) was one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Particularly when Mayo and Galway would traditionally be fairly stylish teams. The Connacht final of the last few years hasn't been great either.

Fireball07 wrote: »

While I wouldn't necessarily go along with it, you can't blame people for saying stuff like that, the big games in Connacht have turned up very uninspiring fixtures over the last few years. The Galway-Mayo game last year (I think it was last year anyway) was one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Particularly when Mayo and Galway would traditionally be fairly stylish teams. The Connacht final of the last few years hasn't been great either.

But thats the point, its about time the teams in Connacht did something about it. I don't altogether disagree with the sentiment tbh. Be nice to see a very competitive Connacht, at least on one side of the draw.

But thats the point, its about time the teams in Connacht did something about it. I don't altogether disagree with the sentiment tbh. Be nice to see a very competitive Connacht, at least on one side of the draw.

Yeah I hope so too. It's not like the Connacht teams are incapable of playing good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The Connacht final of the last few years hasn't been great either.

Connacht final wasn't great last year not helped by the weather however the finals in years before that were good spectacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You couldn't really blame the quality of the final last year on the players, it was probably the worst "summer" day you'll ever see.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You couldn't really blame the quality of the final last year on the players, it was probably the worst "summer" day you'll ever see.

That much is true, however the form of the two teams was very indifferent with Galway having been relegated and not having played a game in over 2 months and Mayo were nearly beaten over in Ruislip. The quality was therefore no surprise, weather considered or not.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I think I'll be quoting this again come Sunday evening, LOLing deliriously at it's ridiculousness. To say that any of the Roscommon forwards can match Galway's is blasphemous. Donie Shine, while a very talented footballer with youth on his side, is basically a freekick merchant, albeit a good one. A mid table division 3 side against a team who were a penalty away from being promoted back to Division 1. Armstrong, Meehan and Joyce back. There can only be one winner in my eyes.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I think I'll be quoting this again come Sunday evening, LOLing deliriously at it's ridiculousness. To say that any of the Roscommon forwards can match Galway's is blasphemous. Donie Shine, while a very talented footballer with youth on his side, is basically a freekick merchant, albeit a good one. A mid table division 3 side against a team who were a penalty away from being promoted back to Division 1. Armstrong, Meehan and Joyce back. There can only be one winner in my eyes.

Did you even look at the video provided? Shine is one of the most natural scorers in Connacht. His only knock is pace but when you're a skillful guy who is 6'5'' your modus operandi isn't to burn players with your pace. Armstrong is only coming back from injury, Joyce, albeit still a fantastic talent, is 35 and no longer is able to be relied on for a full shift and Meehan, sadly, has only played 25 minutes in a single competitive game (for his club in a senior league game) in the last year. Our guys are fully fit and if they get fed ball there's no doubt in my mind they're be more than capable of going toe-to-toe with Galway's attack and out-playing them.

This is the time of the year where people who don't even take notice of other teams, seeing at most one game live on the Sunday Game in an entire year, come out and try to act like experts - with all due respect, few here dismissing our best forwards are talking from experience.

There's going to be one hell of a clean up operation here if we win.

WallyGUFC wrote: »

To the people saying anything along those lines, there have been a few in this thread...you are either trolling or simply stupid.

League divisions doesn't mean that much, Galway have been absolutely terrible the last couple of years. I'm sure they're heading in the right direction now, and might well beat Roscommon but I don't think it'll be easy. Donie Shine and Senan Kilbride would both walk into the Galway team for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The more I think about Sunday's game the more I'm convinced that Galway will win it. Some of the Roscommon posters here are deluding themselves. Granted this isn't the greatest Galway team to wear the maroon, but Roscommon are currently a poor division 3 team who have no chance of going further than a round or two of the qualifiers. Ros have had good underage teams recently and may have a pretty good team in the next year or two but Galway will win on Sunday. Better players, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The more I think about Sunday's game the more I'm convinced that Galway will win it. Some of the Roscommon posters here are deluding themselves. Granted this isn't the greatest Galway team to wear the maroon, but Roscommon are currently a poor division 3 team who have no chance of going further than a round or two of the qualifiers. Ros have had good underage teams recently and may have a pretty good team in the next year or two but Galway will win on Sunday. Better players, end of.

Galway are allegedly very slight favourites with the bookies however most previews I've seen either on the radio or in the papers today and yesterday have generally tipped Roscommon.

In a close game on paper I think the tendency is to give the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Galway are allegedly very slight favourites with the bookies however most previews I've seen either on the radio or in the papers today and yesterday have generally tipped Roscommon.

In a close game on paper I think the tendency is to give the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

Roscommon 2/1 with PaddyPower looks like a misprice. They have Galway 8/15.

Galway fans getting over confident again. Do we ever learn? We'd have said the exact same thing about Sligo in the past and they made us eat our words.

On the other hand Roscommon fans are also over confident, and despite this confidence ye still haven't beaten Galway or Mayo in recent seasons. Roscommon have an awful lot to prove yet and sure maybe they will Sunday but theirs no point talking about it until it begins to happen.

In terms of your forwards, I'd rate all three, Shine, Kilbride and Cregg as good players. In the same way the likes of Wexford and Longford have nice forwards. It doesn't necessarily make them the finished article.

The Galway management I feel will swing it in our favour. I just feel Mullholland and his selectors are able to get an extra 20% out of the team.

2/1 on Roscommon to win at home is ridiculously good.

The weather looks like it'll be good, a bit cloudy but dry, little to no wind and temperatures around 14 degrees. Should be an almost perfect platform for a good game.

2/1 on Roscommon to win at home is ridiculously good.

1 win against Galway in about 20 years and coming off the back of an average league campaign in division 3. I'd want to be given a significantly better odds than a 1 in 3 chance of winning. Even if they do end up winning, this is and always will be a poor value 2/1 shot.

It's 5/2 on Betfair and that'll be even bigger tomorrow if you're still willing to bet on it, a little bit closer to Roscommon's true price.

Match recent history and you'll see that Roscommon were Connacht finalists in the last two years whereas in the last two years Galway have beaten New York only and haven't won any other match in the championship. That's including a year where they stayed up in Division 1 so League means little at times.

Match recent history and you'll see that Roscommon were Connacht finalists in the last two years whereas in the last two years Galway have beaten New York only and haven't won any other match in the championship. That's including a year where they stayed up in Division 1 so League means little at times.

All you need to do is look at the Sligo teams that beat us recently. Roscommon are at about that level. They won Connacht in 10, we haven't since 08.

All you need to do is look at the Sligo teams that beat us recently. Roscommon are at about that level. They won Connacht in 10, we haven't since 08.

I think in terms of fully-fit front-line players playing to their ability (which Sligo have not done in any real sense the wreckage of the 2010 Connacht final), you're right. The difference is that our under-age set-up has provided alot of talent to be moulded over the last three years and we now have enough depth to compete with both Galway and Mayo. Is it enough to win? We'll see on Sunday.

Certainly both counties would be licking their lips at a Sligo-Roscommon semi-final, a year after it really should have happened. We played a shadow-boxing game at the end of the league this year but I'm sure the Sligo lads would kill to get a real shot at us in the championship.

As good as Galway were at times in the League there were some awful showings so you can only use it so much without having to look back at the championship past. Would love to see a Galway win as it would give a lot of the new faces a shot of confidence should they face Sligo. This is new low they have experienced in the last 2 years that I think any neutral would like to see them overcome.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement