Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

As good as Galway were at times in the League there were some awful showings so you can only use it so much without having to look back at the championship past. Would love to see a Galway win as it would give a lot of the new faces a shot of confidence should they face Sligo. This is new low they have experienced in the last 2 years that I think any neutral would like to see them overcome.

Very few neutrals would be cheering Galway on to beat Roscommon or Sligo..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Someone said earlier in the thread that we underestimated Sligo before and got found out. That may be true, but at least Sligo had a bit of big game form to come in on prior to that, having beaten Mayo. It also took them 2 games and a monumental error by Bradshaw to win by 1 point. So you could reasonably make a case for Sligo at that time at short prices.

Roscommon in turn haven't to my mind beaten one of the big 2 in Connacht since 2001. Until they actually go and do that, you can't have them with confidence against a Galway or Mayo. Therefore, I can't understand how anyone thinks 2/1 is a good price. It's not like its 5's or something. In any walk of sport, you'd have to be fairly confident to take a price as short as 2's. I can't see where that level of confidence in Roscommon to go against history is coming from. The Gaa isn't as simple as saying that x has a better squad than y and should win.Especially when that statement is up for serious debate to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Someone said earlier in the thread that we underestimated Sligo before and got found out. That may be true, but at least Sligo had a bit of big game form to come in on prior to that, having beaten Mayo. It also took them 2 games and a monumental error by Bradshaw to win by 1 point. So you could reasonably make a case for Sligo at that time at short prices.

Roscommon in turn haven't to my mind beaten one of the big 2 in Connacht since 2001. Until they actually go and do that, you can't have them with confidence against a Galway or Mayo. Therefore, I can't understand how anyone thinks 2/1 is a good price. It's not like its 5's or something. In any walk of sport, you'd have to be fairly confident to take a price as short as 2's. I can't see where that level of confidence in Roscommon to go against history is coming from. The Gaa isn't as simple as saying that x has a better squad than y and should win.Especially when that statement is up for serious debate to begin with

I can see where you are coming from. I think that is what the odds are already reflecting. You obviously believe that tradition is worth more than they reflect and that we are better than Roscommon more than I do. Which I guess is fair enough.

Anyway enough talk about the game lets see how they go today. I'm feeling optimistic. As I've said before I reckon management will swing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

I can see where you are coming from. I think that is what the odds are already reflecting. You obviously believe that tradition is worth more than they reflect and that we are better than Roscommon more than I do. Which I guess is fair enough.

Anyway enough talk about the game lets see how they go today. I'm feeling optimistic. As I've said before I reckon management will swing it.

Management won't swing anything. Ye have gone through 4 managers in 4 seasons. Ridiculous county board decisions.

I'm actually going for Galway today, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is 100% down to the players. Management, if they are good, are a profitable asset, but rarely are big wins down to just a change of manager.

Good luck Galway.

Management won't swing anything. Ye have gone through 4 managers in 4 seasons. Ridiculous county board decisions.

I'm actually going for Galway today, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is 100% down to the players. Management, if they are good, are a profitable asset, but rarely are big wins down to just a change of manager.

Good luck Galway.

I believe we have the best man for the job and a man who'll get that extra 10/20% out of players (that maybe we haven't got before). I think he has a track record of that at underage. He's also not afraid to make changes when required and is a good motivator. So far he appears to have given players who were poor before this another lease of life and has them playing with a much better skill level than before.

Maybe its blind faith and that there's a big difference between league and championship. We'll see soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's impossible to know who's right or wrong until the match is decided really. Have a feeling there'll be a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Traditional football at last, Alan Mulholland deserves enough time to make Galway work.
    They re very impressive but maybe the opposition flatter us a little.
    One happy Galway man.

Kilbride ya dirty man

Delighted to see Meehan put in a good showing. Very unselfish to set up Sice like that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I love watching Meehan play, he's pure class. I honestly think he's the best forward in the country in terms of ability. Pity about the injuries.

Absolutely delighted to be as wrong as I was on the prediction for the match. Some brilliant football and the kick-passing was great. Conroy really is lethal up at full-forward.

Thats football proper football. Its how I learnt to play years ago and it has come back to Galway at last.
    We might not win anything this year, (I hope we do ) but I will follow a team (my team ) that plays it like its supposed to be played.
    GALWAY ABU

Syferus wrote: »

There's going to be one hell of a clean up operation here if we win.

Indeed

You should follow them regardless of style. Alan Mullholland picked the right them and made all the right moves today. McGrath and Kelly played well considering the size of the two men they were marking. Duane was brilliant along with Bradshaw. Bergin was always in control of midfield and the half-forwards. Everybody played well and here's hoping they keep the form going against Sligo.

Next match is in Salthill I suppose since they played in Markievicz Park 2 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You should follow them regardless of style. Alan Mullholland picked the right them and made all the right moves today. McGrath and Kelly played well considering the size of the two men they were marking. Duane was brilliant along with Bradshaw. Bergin was always in control of midfield and the half-forwards. Everybody played well and here's hoping they keep the form going against Sligo.

Next match is in Salthill I suppose since they played in Markievicz Park 2 years ago?

Agree with you except for Duane. His performance for me was probably the poorest.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you meant my post or not but Galway have never got anywhere copying someone elses style.

h2005 wrote: »
    Agree with you except for Duane. His performance for me was probably the poorest.

I thought he played pretty well. I thought Flynn played the worst but improved massively in the second half.

And O.A.P I agree but still found it amazing that they couldn't get one good result each.

I thought he played pretty well. I thought Flynn played the worst but improved massively in the second half.

And O.A.P I agree but still found it amazing that they couldn't get one good result each.
    WHAA! Sam spent years there.;)

I thought he was excellent. Was very impressed, just a classy footballer with a brain. Exactly what we need at CB. Flynn played very well too, did a lot of stuff that will go unnoticed like making space. Got through a serious amount of work too

That was a reply though, not sure if it applies. Hope its in salthill, markieviczs pitch is a.bit small and tight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Reading back over the past few pages, it is clear Roscommon fans over estimated their team. League form does matter. And there is a gulf between division 2 & division 3. You can argue Galway narrowly avoided a relegation battle in division 2 but the fact is that they DID avoid it and were instead involved in a promotion battle with some of the best teams out there. Perhaps this stood to Galway today.

For Galway, I thought Conroy was the stand out player. However, Galway perhaps overplayed him a little.

I also felt Keith Kelly had a really wonderful game, very tigerish. It was interesting that they started him on Shine. This seemed to be a ploy of Galway as himself & Mcgrath were standing near each other waiting to see where the Ros full forward line were going to line out and then followed them.

Bradshaw was superb in the half back line. I felt Duane did well on a very good opponent in Cregg. He plays a very different game to Blake in that Duane doesnt really hold the position but rather follows his man. Duane seems to follow his man everywhere.

Bergin was excellent at midfield. I felt Higgins was quite sloppy a lot of the time though. Sice carried on with his good league form at number 10.

Armstrong was lively I felt and thought it was a little harsh he was taken off ahead of Hehir. Maybe it was a fitness issue. Hehir took his goal really well, very composed. He needs to learn not to foul so much and he is a naive player, the last Ros point of the 1st half was due to his lack of concentration.

Meehan was just class when he came on and looked fit to me. I wonder will he start the next day. Hard to know who to drop though if you do start him. Joyce too looked in good shape. As did Cummins Fahey & Boyle. But then it is easy to come on in a match like today. I'd probably start with the same 15 again against Sligo.

The starting 15 all did very well today and I dont think any deserve to be dropped......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I get slated for saying Galway's forwards are far better than Roscommon's? Jog on. Roscommon's and Galway's progression curves clearly going in different directions. Paul Conroy and Gary Sice were immense. Midfield was dominated from start to finish, and the full back line had the Roscommon forwards in their arse pockets for almost the entire 70 minutes. Roll on Sligo. PS great to see Meehan put in such a good shift. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

I should really apologise to Hulk Hands for calling him deluded for believing Galway weren't well ahead of Roscommon. I thought they'd do well but they were a little better than I expected while Roscommon were atrocious.

Was talking to a player's father after the game. Word from the camp is that Meehan is flying in training. So its not as if theyre just trying to nurse a shadow back into the game. Without tempting fate, we may just have our talisman back :)

Was talking to a player's father after the game. Word from the camp is that Meehan is flying in training. So its not as if theyre just trying to nurse a shadow back into the game. Without tempting fate, we may just have our talisman back :)

I have to confess I was a little nervous for Armstrong and Meehan. At one point Meehan sidestepped around a player to avoid him and I though he was limping. Heart skipped a beat. Thankfully they both got through it.

I should really apologise to Hulk Hands for calling him deluded for believing Galway weren't well ahead of Roscommon. I thought they'd do well but they were a little better than I expected while Roscommon were atrocious.

No bother mate! I thought Galway were a little better than perception, and I was firmly of the opinion that Roscommon weren't that good at all. I seen flashes in the league that something like this was coming. Consistency is key though, and its something we really have to build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd agree with that. Duane had a tough 70 minutes and his lack of pace was shown up today.

But so many positives to take from this game. Mark Hehir is a player I'd criticised in the past but I thought he was excellent today, and Sice has been a revelation at number 10. Joyce and Meehan were brilliant when they came on, must have been demoralising for Roscommon when they saw those two coming on.

Good day at the office but tempered by the fact that Roscommon were so poor. We didn't beat much today, but Mulholland is clearly taking this team in the right direction so more of the that please.

I'd agree with that. Duane had a tough 70 minutes and his lack of pace was shown up today.

He doesnt lack pace. He just happened to be on one of the quickest players around today in Cregg. But Duane is quite pacy as centre backs go.

Duane caught two clean balls too which is impressive to me. The kick passing and fielding was superior to anything I saw in the League too which was great. On the subject of Meehan, there was a moment where he almost slipped and I'd say the world went silent but thankfully he didn't turn badly on his ankle.

. Hehir took his goal really well, very composed. He needs to learn not to foul so much and he is a naive player,

I was up at the game and we were all complementing his "smart fouling". He fouled to stop quick Roscommon counter attacks and it worked a number of times. Then after he got booked he was smart enough to stop and I cant remember him fouling after.

Overall I was very pleased with the performance. Conroy is a completely different player to who I've been watching the last few years, excellent performance and as Tony Davis said last night "He is a bull of a man". O'Donnell is another player who has come on leaps and bounds this year.

Bergin was superb as was sice and Meehan and Joyce were just pure class when they came on. I thing Armstrong wasn't fit, he was trying to catch his breath on a few occasions so there will be much more from him.

Hanley was Hanely solid as a rock and his organising of the defense was excellent. Kelly had a great game as did Duane, he is a great footballer but its his size rather than pace that would worry me. He is very light for center back. Bradshaw was another who was excellent both going forward and defensively.

It was a very good performance but Roscommon were very poor so Galway will need to kick on from this and improve further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ah like it's no huge criticism to say he was under a bit of pressure marking a guy as good as Cregg either in fairness.

I was up at the game and we were all complementing his "smart fouling". He fouled to stop quick Roscommon counter attacks and it worked a number of times. Then after he got booked he was smart enough to stop and I cant remember him fouling after.

I was at the match too. I disagree with the smart fouling argument. I dont think he actually intended to foul his player. Therefore, he cannot be commended for 'smart fouling' (Really a player should never be commended for fouling especially when all the Galway lads on here are saying what a purist game Galway are playing!). I just think he is a poor tackler. At half time, I felt there was a real danger in him being sent off. In fairness to him though, he kept his discipline well and I think he deserves to start the Sligo match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Reading back over the past few pages, it is clear Roscommon fans over estimated their team. League form does matter. And there is a gulf between division 2 & division 3.

The difference yesterday was managers, one very astute manager vs one very clueless manager.

Roscommon probably had a high estimation of their team because they did better under Fergal O'Donnell in recent years they competed well with Mayo,Tyrone,Cork on yesterday's showing they are going no where fast with Des Newton & will ship another heavy beating in the qualifiers.

For Galway they did what they had to do probably would have got more out of challenge game at least Sligo are on the same boat having no contest with New York. Sligo like Roscommon are a div 3 team both finished on the same points i'm certain they will put up more of effort than the rossies did however it's going to be another Galway v Mayo final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Hehir's little swivel around the goalie before slotting it reminded me very much of PJ's swivel and slotting against Kildare in 1998.

Different sides (left and right) obviously!

What a hero of Galway GAA PJ is, BTW.

When he retires, he deserves a statue outside Tuam stadium.

The difference yesterday was managers, one very astute manager vs one very clueless manager.

I'd say the difference was that more that one side has much more talented players, especially in defence. Even if Roscommon and their management team had played to the best of their ability yesterday,they would still have been beaten comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I'd say the difference was that more that one side has much more talented players, especially in defence. Even if Roscommon and their management team had played to the best of their ability yesterday,they would still have been beaten comfortably

I disagree. Management is huge in GAA take last year for example Galway were comfortably beaten by Mayo after they struggled to beat London.

Galway have better players than Roscommon however with the right tactics,game plan in place they could given a better account of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He doesnt lack pace. He just happened to be on one of the quickest players around today in Cregg. But Duane is quite pacy as centre backs go.

He does lack pace. Watching him and playing against him growing up I've noticed that. But he makes up for it with being able to read the game brilliantly. Probably our best reader of the game in defence. He also has a tremendous footballing brain and is a great natural footballer. Was impressed with him yesterday and he should definitely be persisted with at CB.

Would love to see G.Sweeney drafted into corner back though but hard to fault the two lads.

Overall nice performance, probably our best in champ since 07 v Mayo tbh. Saying that Sligo will be a tougher test but we should be well too good for them. Form generally goes out the window then when Mayo meet Galway. Looking forward to the coming weeks

I disagree. Management is huge in GAA take last year for example Galway were comfortably beaten by Mayo after they struggled to beat London.

Galway have better players than Roscommon however with the right tactics,game plan in place they could given a better account of themselves.

Many variables involved here tbh. Mayo were probably complacent, not in championship mode as such, and in a different country playing against London.

Against Galway they're always likely to raise their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

How good do you know the club scene in Galway? The Galway football supporters club are running a free competition while the club championship is taking place.

Check out http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=74 for more details.

• Advertisement

He does lack pace. Watching him and playing against him growing up I've noticed that. But he makes up for it with being able to read the game brilliantly. Probably our best reader of the game in defence. He also has a tremendous footballing brain and is a great natural footballer. Was impressed with him yesterday and he should definitely be persisted with at CB.

Ok, in fairness if you have played against him, you are probably a better judge than me. My age means I never played against him! But he never looked short of pace when he was played at corner back for Galway.
    Would love to see G.Sweeney drafted into corner back though but hard to fault the two lads.

You cant drop McGrath or Kelly now. Both have earned their places. From what I have seen of Sweeney, he looks like a good prospect though.

Ok, in fairness if you have played against him, you are probably a better judge than me. My age means I never played against him! But he never looked short of pace when he was played at corner back for Galway.

You cant drop McGrath or Kelly now. Both have earned their places. From what I have seen of Sweeney, he looks like a good prospect though.

It's not as if he's slow or anything, but as I say any lack of pace he has doesn't seem to affect him due to his excellence in reading the game and his carrying and distribution.

Tbf you're right it's great to have depth though and to be able to call on lads like Sweeney. I expect Kelly's club mate James Shaughnessy to be there or there abouts in the near future too.

What ye make of Flynn at WF? Is he better off at mid ye reckon? Tbh I think his workrate and carrying is well suited to half forward. Will Curran displace Higgins when back?

People can say that Roscommon are useless all they want.

But the fact remains if Cork or Dublin beat them like that, everyone would be raving about them.

I can't see the logic behind thinking Mayo will still win easily.
    What more could we have done?, being honest if we scrapped by them by a point I still wouldn't be of the view that a Mayo win is a certainty.

The big point from yesterday was not the scoreline, the style of play, but the fact we competed and won ball in midfield which we haven't done against ANYONE for over seven years(at least).
    We've gone down by a point numerous times over the past few years and in each game we were crucified in that sector.

On what I saw yesterday, Mayo will get their hardest game against us for manys the year.
    They could still win, but I haven't seen a more positive run from us in a long time.

What ye make of Flynn at WF? Is he better off at mid ye reckon? Tbh I think his workrate and carrying is well suited to half forward. Will Curran displace Higgins when back?

I'd leave him at number 12 for now. He is a midfielder for future years. But he did well at 12 the last day, no reason to change him.

I keep faith with Higgins at midfield for now too.
    What more could we have done?, being honest if we scrapped by them by a point I still wouldn't be of the view that a Mayo win is a certainty.

Mayo are not certainties. But they are favourites for Connacht and deserve to be considering their excellent league campaign. Galways performance against Roscommon has no bearing on that. Mayo are a team just a little bit behind the top teams in the country. Galway are much further behind. Mayo would have been promoted from division 2, Galway did not. The Sligo game may put Galway a little closer to Mayo's level (If they win). But even a demolition of Sligo will not make Galway favourites for Connacht. Galway could have demolished every team in the league and got promoted. Only then, could they consider themselves as favourites against Mayo. But Galway did not do that. They performed well but not brilliantly.

I dont think Mayo are a certainty to win Connacht (if they meet Galway in the final) but I think people are correct to have them as firm favourites.

People can say that Roscommon are useless all they want.

But the fact remains if Cork or Dublin beat them like that, everyone would be raving about them.

I don't think they would tbh. Not taking anything away from Galway's win but on the day Roscommon WERE useless. That's just the fact of it. Roscommon are capable of better I've no doubt, but on the day for whatever reason they were really poor. That's why I wouldn't get too carried away with this result for all that there was definite positives to take from it.

But no-one is saying they'll win easily? I don't think even the most ardent Mayo supporters expect anything other than a tough game if it does end up as a Galway-Mayo final. There's usually not much in it and this year will probably be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

There was some confusion over this fixture. It is now taking place at 6pm on Saturday the 9th of June in Pearse Stadium. The Mumfords and sons are playing in Salthill Park that evening. The match was originally down for 7.

Don’t forget to enter the Frank Fox prediction competition

Rules
    1.Pick the team that you think will progress to the next round. One point each
    2.Name the four semifinalists. Two points each
    3.Name the winning team. Three points
    4.Entries must be in before midday Saturday of each round.
    5.List of matches will be posted as soon as the draw is made on www.tribesmengaa.ie
    6.One entry per person.
    7.Send your prediction’s to tribesmengaasc@gamil.com

........it's free to enter

http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=74

• Advertisement

You'll probably have to leave the car at home and walk the million miles from Tuam to get there knowing how busy Galway will be but it is the right decision and hopefully we'll have a lovely day for weather.

Why is the Sligo match on a Saturday evening? Is it being televised?

I think it's deferred coverage because RTE will have Germany-Portugal and the Netherlands-Denmark match on.

I think it's deferred coverage because RTE will have Germany-Portugal and the Netherlands-Denmark match on.

I was just wondering why it's on Saturday evening at all? Was that for TV purposes? Maybe they'll show it live online? I'm hoping so anyway as I won't be able to go.

I was just wondering why it's on Saturday evening at all? Was that for TV purposes? Maybe they'll show it live online? I'm hoping so anyway as I won't be able to go.

It does seem a bizarre time for it.

Perhaps it is related to the euros???:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement