Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd also question the ability of some of those players... no doubt they're capable of raising it as they did last year, but if you want to contend for All-Irelands on a regular basis, you'll need to find improvement.

It's not like you haven't had success at underage, so where are all the players? Full-back, centre-back, maybe one corner-back are still problems.... midfield is a bit of an issue if Tannion can't find last year's form. And up front, scoretaking is a massive massive problem.

Canning is Canning, he's fine. David Burke is a hard worker, and a useful player to have...but outside of that? Niall Burke was class for the U-21s, always been a bit inconsistent at senior level, he's still young though. Cooney- great club player, never showed it in a big intercounty game. Donnellan- always flaky. And Glennon...another talented player but he's not a top class forward.

Hard to win when you rely so much on one forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭gandroid

I'd be hesitant to single out Galway players for criticism/de-selection because you'd end up with a whole new 15. Even Joe Canning had a poor game by his standards, and despite the brief glimpses of masterclass. Dublin were better in every sector AND were twice as hungry.

I am not sure what standards you expect to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Would not swap Joe Canning for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

We need to value possession a lot more and not be tossing it away. One Dublin goal came from a nothing shot into the corner that was mopped up by the full back who galloped past half way unhampered even though the corner forwards were not at their posts. The striking wasn't crisp enough. We must have played 5 minutes with a player injured on the Dublin square and Joseph Cooney was hobbling a good while before anyone seemed to notice.
    That being said I thought we were in it when the gap was brought back to 6 if we got the next score. Sadly the gap was stretching the longer the game went on.

Well done Dublin and I almost enjoyed the whooping and hollering as the game wore on. There was never going to be last minute heartbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Tannion was probably our player of the year last year.Now suddenly after one bad game he's not good enough and management should be critisised for picking him? Theres too many knee jerk reactions. Dublin were amazing yesterday. Very like Galways leinster final 12 months ago. When a team is playing like that, if your anyway off 100% you'll be beaten, as Kilkenny and now Galway have found out. Better the wake up call came now than in a semi final or so. They didn't become bad hurlers overnight

What did you think of him over the coarse of the League campaign?

From what I've saw of him I wasn't surprised with how poor he has been in the Championship so far. The signs were there since the day he was subbed after 20 odd minutes against Kilkenny in Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

I find it strange that people are criticising individual players after last sunday, lot of people bringing up the "sure they were never any good" line on players. the fact is that the players we have are good enough to compete at the very top level as consistently shown over the championship last year. For the first time in years we can say we have the best players in the county with the panel and only through bitterness or club loyalties can people complain about player A or B not being there.

The mgmt are looking at these players in training and have decided that the 15 that started are showing the best so that must tell you that the others arent giong as well.

as all 15 starters and even the subs that came in werent able to match dublin for intensity, touch etc then it points to a more basic problem with regards to how up for the game we were, training methods, tiredness ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I find it strange that people are criticising individual players after last sunday, lot of people bringing up the "sure they were never any good" line on players. the fact is that the players we have are good enough to compete at the very top level as consistently shown over the championship last year. For the first time in years we can say we have the best players in the county with the panel and only through bitterness or club loyalties can people complain about player A or B not being there.

The mgmt are looking at these players in training and have decided that the 15 that started are showing the best so that must tell you that the others arent giong as well.

as all 15 starters and even the subs that came in werent able to match dublin for intensity, touch etc then it points to a more basic problem with regards to how up for the game we we

re, training methods, tiredness ect

I agree with your post up to a point. However, if you read back through this thread, you will see that people seriously questioned Regan being picked at midfield. Those posters were proven to be right, management were proven to be wrong (especially as Smith did very well when he came on).

Last year, Galway lacked a couple of quality subs that could have the potential to change things in a match. I suspect that is why you had players like Regan & Glennon starting ahead of Smith & Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

I couldnt pick a single player (from starting 15 or subs) who could say they were happy with their performance so to its very hard and unfair single out players for criticism when it was a collective problem.

just on james regan - how did the tactical discussions with kenny and cunningham go such that it ended up that skehill was landing shortened puckouts down into our midfield with one of our smallest players under them and still him having to fight on his own with 2 dublin players beside him - then when he doesnt win them he gets taken off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

At least the footballers are winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A lot of people I've talked to since are on about how there's still a lot of bad blood between the Thomas's and Portumna lads. I dunno how true it is but it's absolutely bollocks to still be throwing tantrums about a club match before such a massive game as last Sunday's was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

A lot of people I've talked to since are on about how there's still a lot of bad blood between the Thomas's and Portumna lads. I dunno how true it is but it's absolutely bollocks to still be throwing tantrums about a club match before such a massive game as last Sunday's was.

There's more to it than just that, but that's partly the reason

One of the Portumna players on the panel was supposed to have walked away during the week but was coaxed back around to play on Sunday. (Came on as a sub)

There was a meeting between players and management on Monday where basically the law was laid down. Get on board or pack your bags.

Not ideal in mid championship. I can't see us getting beyond a Kilkenny/Clare/Limerick/Cork with this hanging over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Galway team for tomorrow
    1. Manus Breathnach
    2. Donal O'Neill
    3. Finian Hanley
    4. Keith Kelly
    5. Johnny Duane
    6. Gary O’Donnell
    7.Gary Sice
    8. Paul Conroy
    9. Tom Flynn
    10. John O’Brien
    11. Sean Armstrong
    12. Conor Doherty
    13. Michael Martin
    14. Michael Meehan
    15. Danny Cummins

Hard to know what's going on with the team. More changes. Tom Flynn replacing Greg Higgins is clearly a good call but now Keith Kelly is back in, Doherty is gone back to half forward, Michael Martin and Donal O'Neil haven't exactly seen a whole pile of championship football. The positions that have been changed were the ones that were in big trouble alright the last day but it still sounds like there's confusion regarding what's the best team.
    Anyway, might as well have one last day out of stress in Pearse Stadium :p

Galway team for tomorrow
    1. Manus Breathnach
    2. Donal O'Neill
    3. Finian Hanley
    4. Keith Kelly
    5. Johnny Duane
    6. Gary O’Donnell
    7.Gary Sice
    8. Paul Conroy
    9. Tom Flynn
    10. John O’Brien
    11. Sean Armstrong
    12. Conor Doherty
    13. Michael Martin
    14. Michael Meehan
    15. Danny Cummins

Hard to know what's going on with the team. More changes. Tom Flynn replacing Greg Higgins is clearly a good call but now Keith Kelly is back in, Doherty is gone back to half forward, Michael Martin and Donal O'Neil haven't exactly seen a whole pile of championship football. The positions that have been changed were the ones that were in big trouble alright the last day but it still sounds like there's confusion regarding what's the best team.
    Anyway, might as well have one last day out of stress in Pearse Stadium :p

I like the look of this team a lot more than I did with the last few teams however. I think you have good full back line (Kelly is a good corner back I feel), a reasonable half back line, an ok-ish midfield, an interesting half-forward line that could be dangerous and a full forward line with three players very capable of scoring.

Still think Galway will lose though! :(

It was definitely essential to take Forde and Higgins out. Hoping for a big showing from Tom Flynn. He tends to go not see an awful lot of possession when he plays but he steadied up a terrible Galway team against Waterford. You couldn't count on Forde to try and stop Clarke.

Taking Hehir out was another good move. He wasn't bad or anything but he just doesn't make much of an impact. Say what you will about Cummins but he is the liveliest forward with the exception of Meehan. He badly needed some shooting practice before tomorrow and hope he got it. He has been impressive this year.

They really love Doherty but he has been decent in the qualifiers. Just hope it wasn't because it was against poor quality sides.

I don't think Armagh are that much ahead of them IMO but they should win. They won't score 8 goals anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It was definitely essential to take Forde and Higgins out. Hoping for a big showing from Tom Flynn. He tends to go not see an awful lot of possession when he plays but he steadied up a terrible Galway team against Waterford. You couldn't count on Forde to try and stop Clarke.

Taking Hehir out was another good move. He wasn't bad or anything but he just doesn't make much of an impact. Say what you will about Cummins but he is the liveliest forward with the exception of Meehan. He badly needed some shooting practice before tomorrow and hope he got it. He has been impressive this year.

They really love Doherty but he has been decent in the qualifiers. Just hope it wasn't because it was against poor quality sides.

I don't think Armagh are that much ahead of them IMO but they should win. They won't score 8 goals anyways.

Agree mostly with this, Tom Flynn was a very good addition v Waterford, just hope that he gets involved and looks for the ball. Hehir had to be changed, he just fouled everytime and was going to get sent off, never looked like scoring. Cummins is by far the liveliest of the forwards and his speed continues to give backs problems, I think that he just needs to take those points and forget about goals, people making to much of it. He always hits the target and he always gets into the right position to give himself the chance. He also collects a lot of high ball for a relatively small man. Meehan has lost pace for me, but class is there permanently!! he is a great player who sometimes drifts a bit to far out, but he does score and him and Cummins are key to winning the game. Armstrong..... not sure how how keeps getting picked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I reckon Armagh by 5 or more.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I think that he just needs to take those points and forget about goals, people making to much of it. He always hits the target and he always gets into the right position to give himself the chance

He won't start to score more goals unless he learns how to strike them.
    There's two types of goal kickers in GAA, those who use controlled power(think Joyce against Kildare 98) and those who just line it up and smash it.

If you're a smasher which Cummins is, you'll miss far more than you score(recent case in point: Kerry/Cork two weeks ago, young Kerry player burst through, dropped the head and smashed it wide. Same position a few minutes later with Gooch and he slots it past the keeper).
    He needs to work on a more controlled finish if he wants to start seeing his goals rattle the net.

I think regardless of the result tomorrow that AM needs to be kept on. Say what you will about the hammering against Mayo but not only did Galway play poorly but they were demolished by All-Ireland contenders. They'll be under-rated again now that Kerry beat Cork but I'd have them as the 3rd best team in the country. He beat the qualifier curse and did so with the momentum of a snail in the desert but you have to look at it from the perspective of the side that were embarrassed against Sligo and hit the lowest low in decades against Antrim. On reflection you can't really be surprised that they weren't impressive in the Tipp and Waterford games, specifically Waterford though because they showed real fight.

^^^That reads like a massive suckup job that will make me look like a complete tit in this thread (again) if they concede 8 goals against Clarke and friends. I can't see a win myself if the current form shows up but it's a home match in a Summer that just will not end (look at my sunburn!) and who's to say that Michael Meehan can't lead these guys out if the darkness if Armagh are woeful (like Cavan this year woeful).

This hasn't been one of my better posts (sorry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm undecided on another year for Mulholland. I wouldn't be if there was a top quality option available but no-one really stands out to take up the reins if Mulholland leaves. I just don't really see where he is taking the team. He is two years in charge and I don't think he knows his team. We moved from total naivety against Mayo to a blanket defence against division 4 sides that was embarrassingly easy to cut through, the last two games we have got most of the team behind the ball at stages but we have no system in place and poor sides were still easily cutting through us. I think we all know the team is poor but it also looks like a poorly organised team who have no real plan in place.

I think we have to see something tomorrow if he's to stay on really. I don't mind us being beaten tomorrow but we need to see a performance and a plan. Mulholland can't be kept on just because we don't want to change again. We can't undo the tinkering that went on before but this management team need to be judged separately on their performances and results independent of anything which happened previously and to me they look out of their depth.

Mayo are a strong side but the fact Mayo are going well shouldn't take away from how deplorable Galway were on the day. Being honest any of the top 6 or so teams would have dished out a similar or bigger hammering to us that day. What annoyed me wasn't that Mayo opened us up with great football (even though they were moving well in fairness) but that we conceded such laughable goals. I've watched a lot of very poor sides but I've rarely seen goals as poor as Galway have given away that day even at club level.

For me there was about a 15 minute period against Tipp we could be satisfied with in the championship. That aside we have been disastrous. Waterford should have killed us off the last day. Armagh will almost certainly finish the job. Having said that I think Mulholland has moved a significant step closer to getting a more balanced team. The 4 lads who are dropped either aren't up to it (Farragher or Higgins) or aren't performing at the moment (Hehir and Forde).

Hopefully the 15 who go out to represent Galway can at least put some pride back in the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lads, Sam is ours this year!

We beat Armagh in 2001 in round 3 of the qualifiers, as the designated home team, after losing to the eventual Connacht champs and with Cork waiting in the next round.

We consequently beat Cork in Croke Park and went onto to lift Sam. It's written in the stars lads!

• Advertisement

Would be nice to see the worst Galway side in recent memory win the All-Ireland.

Seriously though, we can't seem to beat Northern teams, not since 2001 when we beat Armagh and Derry. Since then, our record has been appalling:

In 2003 we lost against Donegal in a replay.
    In 2004 we were beaten comprehensively by Tyrone.
    We then managed to avoid northern teams until 2009 when we lost to Donegal.
    And then last year we lost to Antrim by a point.

I suppose you could say that we've been dire against non-Connacht opposition, but against those teams we produced particularly poor performances.

I'm not confident about later on, but I think it'll be closer than people expect.

THFC wrote: »
    Seriously though, we can't seem to beat Northern teams, not since 2001 when we beat Armagh and Derry. Since then, our record has been appalling:

In 2003 we lost against Donegal in a replay.
    In 2004 we were beaten comprehensively by Tyrone.
    We then managed to avoid northern teams until 2009 when we lost to Donegal.
    And then last year we lost to Antrim by a point.

I suppose you could say that we've been dire against non-Connacht opposition, but against those teams we produced particularly poor performances.

I'm not confident about later on, but I think it'll be closer than people expect.

On the 2003 games v Donegal.

The first game in Croke Park (which was an amazing game in sunshine) there was a left half back playing. I think the name was Brady? He played excellently that day. Whatever happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Think he (Kevin Brady) concentrated on hurling thereafter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Galway for Sam :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Gaillimh Abú

Did Galway win? Fair play to them.

1-11 to 9 points.

What I wanted to see for a long long time, Galway to play in Croke Park again. :)

1-11 to 9 points.

What I wanted to see for a long long time, Galway to play in Croke Park again. :)

Of which county do you hail from CC?

• Advertisement

Great game, difference today imo was midfield. Keeping Clarke quiet was also key. Thought Flynn and Conroy were great. Massive victory, should get some long lost confidence back into the lads.

Shades of 2001 ;) Delighted to be in an underdogs into the next match also, hopefully big numbers will travel! The footballers on Saturday and the hurlers on Sunday, will be a busy weekend!

Gaillimh Abú

audman wrote: »
    Of which county do you hail from CC?

Galway audman.
    I haven't been fond of this team the last few years as the performances have been poor but you have to hand it to them today. Not sure how good Armagh are but they aren't bad.

Galway audman.
    I haven't been fond of this team the last few years as the performances have been poor but you have to hand it to them today. Not sure how good Armagh are but they aren't bad.

A lot of us haven't been but sure the craic will be had tonight :P We'll see next Saturday :) I'm working so I won't make it, same situation today. Heading down to Thurles on Sunday though :)

€247.39 on a Galway double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Great stuff :)

Great championship match. Delighted for the lads but also delighted for us who've seen so many bad days, especially in the qualifiers. The Wexford match, Westmeath, Donegal twice, Antrim and Meath. Wouldn't lump in the Tyrone match there because they were a different level of quality at the time.

My MOM was Tom Flynn. He was outstanding today and really showed his potential. He seems to be a tougher player than last year, he's not a McFadden build but he isn't thrown around anymore. John O'Brien and Martin were fantastic when it come to their work ethic. Martin was dragged into the backs a lot and just showed a lot of drive and determination that we didn't see for a long time. Meehan was very good too but his slowness was shown up bigtime and he was not necessarily Mother Theresa but those frees were vital. Gary Sice was an absolute rock of motivation. Not afraid to knock that dirty Armagh fella on his arse. GO'D was good. Conroy was a lot quieter and he was almost caught out a few times with the backwards passing but his free got Cummins his goal (FINALLY!). Only player I'd have my complaints about would be Breathnach and his short kickouts but I'm sure he's told to play it short as much as possible. During the downtime after HT they could have conceded 6/7 points. Denvir and Doherty were good. Really impressed by O'Neill too. Army was awful at times though. Was fouled an awful lot and the ref had a shocking 5 minute spell where he didn't give about 4 stonewall frees and Armagh got the ball right up to the forwards. Even the subs like Walsh adn Varley made positive impacts.

To keep Clarke from goal was a big deal and swung the match in our favour. Beating Cork is a massive order and I'm going to head up in hope of a strong showing. Nice to be heading to Croker again. I'm fairly confident the worst is over and this side will progress. Not expecting All-Ireland glory or anything but there's enough in that side to be a top 10 side.

Keep in mind this is mostly the same side that lost to Sligo and Antrim. Losing Joyce and Bergin was a big challenge to overcome. That's some improvement and long may it continue. They finally played with passion which they didn't in the 5 previous championship games.

Just another note: Great turnout from Armagh and their fans were very gracious in defeat especially considering it's a long drive home. Grimley is probably gone too which will delight Mr. Brolly.

One last thing: Trips to Dublin and Thurles for Galway and Cork supporters is not really fair, granted they've made the fixture for Croker in advance for Saturday. Costly weekend.

• Advertisement

One last thing: Trips to Dublin and Thurles for Galway and Cork supporters is not really fair, granted they've made the fixture for Croker in advance for Saturday. Costly weekend.

As said above I'll only be able to make Thurles but I'd love to make both but can't with work. You heading up and down? Fair play to ya. I imagine it will be one or the other for a lot of people. South Gakway heading South and the rest heading East.

You heading up and down? Fair play to ya. I imagine it will be one or the other for a lot of people. South Gakway heading South and the rest heading East.
    I'd love to do both alright but I'd say I'll have to stick with the footballers. Two great games on the Sunday but if Galway get a bit of luck on Saturday..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

:D Fair play to the lads this evening...wasn't expecting it.

You just never know when a Galway team starts rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's parking like in Thurles? And how long of a drive is it? Been going to Croke Park since 1985 but never been to Thurles!

I'd love to do both alright but I'd say I'll have to stick with the footballers. Two great games on the Sunday but if Galway get a bit of luck on Saturday..........

Saturday: Galway beat Cork
    Sunday: Galway beat Clare
    Monday: Race week.

... and all of this happening during this fine weather in beautiful Galway.

IMAGINE :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Saturday: Galway beat Cork
    Sunday: Galway beat Clare
    Monday: Race week.

... and all of this happening during this fine weather in beautiful Galway.

IMAGINE :)

Tuesday pregnant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Tom Flynn.... Where has that performance been?! Could not believe how much work that man did all across the pitch on such a scorcher of a day. He was getting his hands on so much high ball all day Armagh got no easy midfield possession really as a result. His tracking back and tackling was fantastic also. Always felt he just needed a confidence boost and today he showed bags of confidence. I reckon Conroy was delighted to have him to work with as he'd been left to do the vast majority of the playmaking and fielding in the previous two games. Conroy was noticeably quieter today but I'd say that's mostly due to the fact he had real help beside him. Flynn definite MOM, as Diabhal said.

Donal O'Neil was a complete shock for me. Massive game from him too. Clarke got nothing soft off him and got a couple of tough hits from him too. Very impressed. Backs in general were quite good but I thought GOD was very poor in the first half, don't think he beat his man once. It looked like he was carrying a knock or something, no pace and no real breaks either and he'd usually be good for a few of them a game. Doherty did a ferocious amount of work and put in a huge effort but his end product needs a lot of work. Lot of wasted ball but he's certainly getting better. And it's been said before but it needs saying again, Hanley is f*cking class.

Forwards did a lot of hard work too but there was no real flashes of brilliance other than Martin's fantastic point from a ridiculous angle. He definitely claimed his position today I reckon. On the other end of the scale Armstrong had another poor game. His solo in particular is killing him. He shows well for ball but just takes way too much out of it and loses possession. Meehan's presence was great today but he's lost his pace and quick turns. Cummins's goal must've been the most overdue score in country :p
    Also, Shane Walsh is ridiculous. His huge stride makes him look like he's running in slow motion or something, but I've yet to see a defender keep up with him. I'd say Mullholland is protecting him a bit just giving him tastes of championship football at a time instead of firing him in from the start.

Needs to be said though that Armagh were poor, especially their free-taking and horrendous tackling. To be honest I thought their tackling was borderline disgraceful at times, their aim seemed to be to tackle as close to the neck as possible. Doesn't matter now anyway. Certainly wouldn't carried away for next week. First glimpse of future potential in years but realistically Cork should be a step to far.

It was good to see an tough intense championship match at Pearse. It is a long time since we have seen one.

Galway certainly improved today. But Armagh were very very poor. Some of their wides were just awful.

For Galway, Flynn was excellent at midfield. The tactic of playing Duane in front of Clarke worked out (why didn't Armagh just put another forward up there to occupy him????). I was hugely impressed by Michael Martin. He scored 3 superb points at important times in the match. He tracked back a lot as well. I like that he never 'hides' in a match. He is not afraid to go for a score when he has the chance. Somebody said in an earlier post that Hehir wasnt dropped because he played badly, but more because he never really got involved. That most definitely was not the case with Martin today who was involved in most good things Galway did. Cummins played with an unreal amount of heart too. Meehan definitely looked slow going for some 50/50 balls but his free taking was pretty good and he is dangerous when he can get on the ball in space. Thought Denvir did very well too actually. And I would be very tempted to start Walsh for Doherty the next day.

I dont think Galway have a hope against Cork but it was great to see them play with some fight today. After the Mayo match, a lot of people criticised Duane for not standing up to Dillion when Dillion shouldered him to the ground at the beginning of the match. Today, none of the Galway players were taking that. They did not shy away from the fight today. Today, Galway should be proud of their performance. It was a performance they can use to build on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Great championship match. Delighted for the lads but also delighted for us who've seen so many bad days, especially in the qualifiers. The Wexford match, Westmeath, Donegal twice, Antrim and Meath. Wouldn't lump in the Tyrone match there because they were a different level of quality at the time.

My MOM was Tom Flynn. He was outstanding today and really showed his potential. He seems to be a tougher player than last year, he's not a McFadden build but he isn't thrown around anymore. John O'Brien and Martin were fantastic when it come to their work ethic. Martin was dragged into the backs a lot and just showed a lot of drive and determination that we didn't see for a long time. Meehan was very good too but his slowness was shown up bigtime and he was not necessarily Mother Theresa but those frees were vital. Gary Sice was an absolute rock of motivation. Not afraid to knock that dirty Armagh fella on his arse. GO'D was good. Conroy was a lot quieter and he was almost caught out a few times with the backwards passing but his free got Cummins his goal (FINALLY!). Only player I'd have my complaints about would be Breathnach and his short kickouts but I'm sure he's told to play it short as much as possible. During the downtime after HT they could have conceded 6/7 points. Denvir and Doherty were good. Really impressed by O'Neill too. Army was awful at times though. Was fouled an awful lot and the ref had a shocking 5 minute spell where he didn't give about 4 stonewall frees and Armagh got the ball right up to the forwards. Even the subs like Walsh adn Varley made positive impacts.

To keep Clarke from goal was a big deal and swung the match in our favour. Beating Cork is a massive order and I'm going to head up in hope of a strong showing. Nice to be heading to Croker again. I'm fairly confident the worst is over and this side will progress. Not expecting All-Ireland glory or anything but there's enough in that side to be a top 10 side.

Keep in mind this is mostly the same side that lost to Sligo and Antrim. Losing Joyce and Bergin was a big challenge to overcome. That's some improvement and long may it continue. They finally played with passion which they didn't in the 5 previous championship games.

Just another note: Great turnout from Armagh and their fans were very gracious in defeat especially considering it's a long drive home. Grimley is probably gone too which will delight Mr. Brolly.

Joyce, definitely, Bergin, not really. Great respect to Joe but he actually seldom if ever produced performances like Conroy has been doing or Flynn (at last) did today. Agree big time about Armagh fans, very gracious and loyal to their county.

My MOM was perhaps O'Neill who played like a tiger on his big game debut, but in fairness all players put their shoulder to the wheel. G O'D got a fair roasting though from probably Armagh's best player Dyas, but finished strongly. Would have taken Meehan off after 10 minutes into the second half; ball just falling off him too much. Varley could have done the same job but with more pace. Shane Walsh showed that we now have more options off the bench.

All in all, a galaxy ahead of what we produced against Tipp and W'ford - nothing's goin' to stop us now!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Agree mostly with this, Tom Flynn was a very good addition v Waterford, just hope that he gets involved and looks for the ball. Hehir had to be changed, he just fouled everytime and was going to get sent off, never looked like scoring. Cummins is by far the liveliest of the forwards and his speed continues to give backs problems, I think that he just needs to take those points and forget about goals, people making to much of it. He always hits the target and he always gets into the right position to give himself the chance. He also collects a lot of high ball for a relatively small man. Meehan has lost pace for me, but class is there permanently!! he is a great player who sometimes drifts a bit to far out, but he does score and him and Cummins are key to winning the game. Armstrong..... not sure how how keeps getting picked

I have to say that this was a very good post, prior to the match as well !

Meehan is class, but has lost his pace a bit, but he is a talisman and great free taker. Armstrong was poor and has been all campaign really. I would throw O'Currain in with Flynn and put Conroy at 11.Cummins is lively and won lots of frees, the goal did come....... And off a high ball ! His pace is incredible and he can turn on a sixpence. He creates space. Martin did a fantastic job and has nailed down the other corner berth, he was great especially defensively at times. Flynn was just terrific, he did get his hands on the ball and influenced the game in Galway's favour. Top performance.

They are not going to win an All Ireland, but they are not the worst team in the country as everyone was suggesting and they kept AM in the job today. They showed real pride. Fair play to each and everyone of them.

A good evening. The sun shining and a much needed win for Galway football. I'll take that any day. We can think about Cork tomorrow but its a step in the right direction this evening.

At last there was a big of fight, hunger and team work within the Galway team. It was far from perfect but the team were fully committed to the cause and were determined that they were going to inject some pride back in the jersey and thats all the supporters can ever ask for.

I was saying yesterday evening that Mulholland had made a step in the right direction towards his best team and he can take some credit for his changes. Donal O'Neill, Tom Flynn and Michael Martin all did very well. Sean Denvir also had a decent game. Ironically we won with Meehan having a poor game. Armstrong wasn't too hectic either.

Big issue that emerged for me today was how badly Gary O'Donnell struggled. I never believed he was good enough to be centre back at this level. He did ok the last couple of games but that's his level really and he was found out big time today. When he gets turned he's done for. Gary Sice also struggled. Whether these lads can be replaced from within the current panel is debatable. The best options to replace them either aren't around or aren't on the panel.

However, thought everyone else held their ground quite well, John O'Brien is a limited footballer but he worked hard for the team, Doherty was a mixed bag but got through a lot of work. Conroy dug us out of jail the last day and although outshone by Flynn put in a good shift again today. Walsh gave us some pace off the bench when players were starting to tire.

We didn't get going in the first 12-15 minutes of the 2nd half and really Armagh should have taken control but hit some bad wides but the Galway team showed some character to work their way back into the game.

Armagh were weak, Roscommon and Cavan were the two teams to beat them previously and they struggled in a very weak division 2 so like Galway they aren't in a great place. Donal O'Neill can take credit for keeping Clarke quiet and Aaron Kernan looks on the way down. Dyas was handy but I think that had as much to do with his opponent as anything else.

If we had lost to Waterford it would have been hard to know where to go but at least these few wins have given us something to build on. Mulholland looks safe for another year. He needs to learn from the mistakes he's made but he has done enough for another year with this result I'd reckon. Cork will be a tough proposition next Saturday, they are one of the top group of sides and my expectations would be very low but lets hope we can bow out of the championship with our heads held high and build towards next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

As Flynn (and o'currains) biggest defender, and being adamant that we weren't a terrible side, im very happy to gloat in that performance!. Young players are inconsistent. Look at Meehan back in the day. Good performances will follow bad will follow good. It's the nature of a twenty year old.

Anyways, as happy as a pig in shiite this evening. It wasn't heart or passion or any other bluffers language we won through good football ability. Football hurling and the races to follow, can't wait for next weekend

As Flynn (and o'currains) biggest defender, and being adamant that we weren't a terrible side, im very happy to gloat in that performance!. Young players are inconsistent. Look at Meehan back in the day. Good performances will follow bad will follow good. It's the nature of a twenty year old.

Anyways, as happy as a pig in shiite this evening. It wasn't heart or passion or any other bluffers language we won through good football ability. Football hurling and the races to follow, can't wait for next weekend

Yes it was footballing ability which got them the victory but if you aren't up for the fight you can have all the footballing ability in the world it won't make a difference.

In the Mayo match the Galway lads were bullied from the start but as soon as I saw John O'Brien tear into the Armagh wing back when he tried to rough him up I knew Galway were up for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Absolutely ecstatic Meehan will get to play in Croker again. It looked like he mightn't ever compete a game again a few years ago and it makes for some turnaround.

Cork are such a cumbersome side when it comes to defending and if they try to pull off their bizarre version of blanket defence again Galway have a live chance. Counihan isn't a particularly astute manager and it's really starting to shine through this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I have always said Flynn will come good. O Curraoin won't, hasn't any fire in him.

Flynn is hugely athletic, naturally fit and has a serious competitive edge. He will never give up, it's just the way he is.

Can't say I had seen a whole lot of Donal O Neill but fair play to him, welded himself to Clarke. Great to see lads like himself, Denvir and Cummins rise to the challenge.

However, the problem is that Cork have 6 forwards who can all throw up big scores and probably 3 or 4 more on the line. And our centre back got the run around today. Need to shore up the centre the next day out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement