Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Just back from Dublin. It's always tough going out on a point but I feel pretty good looking back on the season. To pick themselves up after Mayo, break the qualifier curse and run it close for a quarter final place isn't bad at all. They have everything to build on next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Hard luck lads. Was a great, great effort.

Lots there to build on for next year.

Gaillimh Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

It's been a long, long time since I felt genuine and real disappointment in a big game. And I mean that in the best possible way. The last few years we've been eliminated and it's been anger and embarrassment but this year we've gone from one of Galway football's lowest ever points to the most promise in at least 5 years. There was passion out there yesterday. And I also reckon we're not getting enough credit for it either. Armagh were dismissed as unfocused and Cork have blamed the manager (who to be fair is a bit clueless for a man several years in the job).

There was that old Galway trademark 10 minute period in the second half where the style was turned on like we used to and it couldn't be stopped. The ball came flying out of the half back line and midfield, then into Meehan within about 10 seconds and a score was worked. Sadly we just couldn't sustain it past 60 minutes and the backs couldn't survive the relentless diagonal ball and tight handpassing from Cork. The goal was inevitable really and was always going to be the killer blow when it came I felt. Cork just about deserved their win but f*ck it, it would not have been undeserved if we won it.

Regards individuals, Conroy's first half was something else. It was almost like he knew where Meehan was going to be before Meehan did with some of the ball he gave. He got marked out of it a little in the second but he still gave a fine display. Sice was fantastic too, came bombing out of defence several times in the second half to set up many scores, same with Armstrong. But Meehan... That man is made for Croke Park, no doubt about it. He's been hit and miss all season but yesterday, even with the diminished pace, he created all sorts of chaos. In his element. Doubt you'll see a better free all year either, even though it was ultimately pointless.

Maybe it's the sadist in me, but it was great to see the complete devastation and heartache on their faces at the end. Been a while since I've seen such heart on the sleeve reactions. They were there to win and nothing else. They had the taste of the big time yesterday and they'll feel they're not far off a real breakthrough. About 3 or 4 positions need strengthening still though. GOD did well but we were sliced apart through the middle too often. CB needs strengthening and Army needs to be that good consistently.

And in fairness to both teams, there's still a lot to be said for having talented pacey footballers on your team. That second half was seriously enjoyable to watch and that was including some (limited) use of blanket defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Great post there spirit crusher, could not agree more and well written.

Also add that I was gutted for Danny Cummins, his first point was absolute class and his man was bricking himself in the first few minutes when that ball was delivered into space. Hamstring I believe put him out, but man was that second half space crying out for him as a foil for Meehan. Shane did well when coming on and will have got huge experience from this match. The future is bright and never as bleak as some would have forecast.

If ever there was a candidate for the "class is permanent" label, then Mikey Meehan is it. Big stage player, magnificent footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

How unlucky are galway in the qualifiers? As a meath man I was very impressed with what I saw from ye today. It was special seeing all of your fans clapping them off the pitch.

Cant help but feel that meehans goal came 70 minutes too early though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The positive from this game is that Galway played with a lot of heart. It was great to see the player's reaction at the final whistle where a few of them looked very very angry that they lost. Against Mayo, it looked like they did not care. Those players got a lot of criticism after the Mayo game and I think that may have played a part in their performance yesterday. Some of the more maligned players like Duane, O'Donnell really played with a lot fight and heart yesterday. Also, Sean Armstrong is a player always accused of going missing in matches but yesterday, he did not shy away from anything. There was an incident in the second half where there was a few handbags in the forward line off the ball and Armstrong went over and gave one of the Cork players a hefty shoulder. He was making sure that Galway were not going to be pushed around like they were against Mayo. He should be respected for that. Meehan really proved everybody wrong too by showing he is still capable of putting in a top performance at this level.

Mulholland was quick to make changes and that is nice to see (I hate seeing managers slow to make changes). However, I felt he made a HUGE mistake in taking off John O'Brien who was picking up a nice bit of breaking ball. Cork had actually just taken of his man a few minutes earlier. Not sure about taking off Martin either. I was sitting just above where Varley was warming up. Martin had a chance that was blocked, it was at that moment they called Varley up to come on. However, Martin was very unlucky with that chance, he had found the space but Shane Walsh was too slow in getting the ball to him. I saw Meehan telling him after the incident to be a bit faster letting it go. I suspect Walsh may become the new Armstrong in the next few years frustrating us Galway fans. He always likes to take a bit more out of the ball than he should.

You should never be happy with a defeat. But at least Galway have something to build on for next year now. And this qualifier run should help Galway improve for the years ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

What age is Walsh? Looks to be able to play. If he's only 18/19 I wouldn't be playing him so much just yet.

Cummins is class and Conroy was excellent yesterday.

The movement of the forwards was excellent. Just that experience in parts let them down but these players don't have experience of playing in Croker v the big teams.

I thought the backs 1 v 1 were excellent. They let Cork run off them which was their downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

At least Grealish had a decent game.

Hayes did well too I felt.

But how oh how Hynes was left on for the entire match? Did he win 1 ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Yeah if we look for positives hard enough they are there :(
    I feel the footballers lost yesterday after playing for Galway like it meant something , they understand how much support they have and what it means to us. (men all of them)
    Im sure to be shot down for my opinion on the hurlers but did the best team win today ?
    I think not they remind me of a Dutch soccer team loads of talent but don't get on with each other and **** the supporters its all about me (or in our case my club)
    . AC is in charge but its not his fault and I feel he is the best man for the job still.
    I feel so let down today they are so much better than that. J Canning had a bad day that's a first but he is not the Galway hurling team

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

What's the story with the divide between the clubs? Was there a big match and all hell broke loose or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway hurling is a basket case managed by basket cases, some of whom aren't speaking to each other. Management have failed utterly to improve their players from last year and some players themselves, a couple of whom have been on the panel for a few years, don't look as if they could be bothered to try and push on and become better at their game. Management next year, whoever they will be, may as well tear up the teamsheet and start with a largely new panel - the majority of today's team aren't and won't be good enough to win an AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Couldn't be more disgusted with today. No bottle whatsoever. Went down without a fight which is inexcusable. Very sceptical of AC, did a marvellous job last year but all that is undone, if he can't get the team to play like a team I'm not sure he should be manager.

But what a waste of a trip, the losing is not what bothers me, it's the fcuking lack of effort to play as a team. A squad of individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

MfMan wrote: »
    Galway hurling is a basket case managed by basket cases, some of whom aren't speaking to each other. Management have failed utterly to improve their players from last year and some players themselves, a couple of whom have been on the panel for a few years, don't look as if they could be bothered to try and push on and become better at their game. Management next year, whoever they will be, may as well tear up the teamsheet and start with a largely new panel - the majority of today's team aren't and won't be good enough to win an AI.

Sound like something that was said 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This was a shocking performance. That Clare team are young and improving but today we made them look like world beaters which they aren't. Galway hurling is going nowhere with AC at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ye're tactics today were shocking, there didn't seem to be any real gameplan in place, played into Clare's hands. Donnellan cleaned up in the first half, and in the final 10 minutes, constantly going for goals when only 3 points down was stupid.

And after the naivety in letting Dotsy and Ryan destroy your full-back line, you didn't seem to learn from that much either, McGrath scored 1-2 and Honan set up a good few scores aswell. Not to mention Collins and Kelly not being tracked properly at all.

Personally... I don't think some of the players on the team are good enough at all. It's weird, some of them were brilliant at underage level, and Galway have been pretty successful in recent years but they don't seem to be coming through. The performance in the Leinster final last year was pure class....but I think that was a one-off rather than the standard tbqh...... I mean they did draw in the final but weren't overly convincing either.

Need to find some forwards... and a proper spine to the defence, instead of changing it all the time. Taking my own county as an example, a lot of our success this year is down to us having finally settled on Richie Mc as a full-back and Wayne Mac as a centre-back. A lot of people have questioned those selections, both players have been heavily criticised over the years, but they do their job, they hold the centre and are a strong foundation for the whole team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What age is Walsh? Looks to be able to play. If he's only 18/19 I wouldn't be playing him so much just yet.

Cummins is class and Conroy was excellent yesterday.

The movement of the forwards was excellent. Just that experience in parts let them down but these players don't have experience of playing in Croker v the big teams.

I thought the backs 1 v 1 were excellent. They let Cork run off them which was their downfall.
    What has happened to Cormac Bane? Agree that this Galway forward line just needs a competitive midfield n half back platform They also as a squad need another years fitness work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Taking my own county as an example, a lot of our success this year is down to us having finally settled on Richie Mc as a full-back and Wayne Mac as a centre-back. A lot of people have questioned those selections, both players have been heavily criticised over the years, but they do their job, they hold the centre and are a strong foundation for the whole team.

And of course don't forget to mention.......Donal O Grady and John Allen from bringing Limerick from a position of no hopers in 2010 to potential All Ireland winners 2013. :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Amprodude wrote: »
    And of course don't forget to mention.......Donal O Grady and John Allen from bringing Limerick from a position of no hopers in 2010 to potential All Ireland winners 2013. :):D

Well that's true...but Cunningham could have won it last year with Galway, KK were kinda vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well that's true...but Cunningham could have won it last year with Galway, KK were kinda vulnerable.

Agree he should have finished the job on the first day of the All Ireland Final. Galway might not get a better chance than that. They weren't in the races at all in the replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Galway showed last year that Kilkenny were beatable by 'ordinary' teams but we didn't kick on. Same problem areas were not addressed by several management teams. Where's Paul Killeen this year, not wanting him thrown into a unorganised backline just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Last years version of Galway would have walked the AI this year imo. Not entirely sure what happened between Sept - May this year but they're a shadow of last years team. Reportedly a lot of infighting in the squad but it could be all hearsay, you don't know. Something went very wrong anyway.

What has happened to Cormac Bane? Agree that this Galway forward line just needs a competitive midfield n half back platform They also as a squad need another years fitness work

Bane left the panel last year as he felt his form was not good and he was not getting any game time. He now has a young baby so I doubt we will see him back playing for Galway. Mulholland wants to move onto the next generation of Galway players. He hasnt really wanted to know about the Cormac generation of players.

In fairness, Galway do have comptetition at midfield as O'Curraoin & Flynn were very much vying for that number 9 shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a neutral in Croker on Saturday I was impressed with Galway. They played a lot better then I expected. They played some old school traditional football and kicked some lovely long range scores. Conroy is a real leader and you can see he's constantly talking to the players and driving them on.

Meehan was fantastic too, class act.

A strong Galway is good for football so hopefully you can build on that display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Moneymaker wrote: »
    As a neutral in Croker on Saturday I was impressed with Galway. They played a lot better then I expected. They played some old school traditional football and kicked some lovely long range scores. Conroy is a real leader and you can see he's constantly talking to the players and driving them on.

Meehan was fantastic too, class act.

A strong Galway is good for football so hopefully you can build on that display.

Honestly this is what frightens me. If this makes Mulholland think he should, in the main, keep trying to play old school Connacht football he's on to a loser. If I was a manager I'd be mortified at conceding 20 points in 70 minutes and be seeing it as something I need to urgently correct.

A great performance by Galway in the context of where they were coming from but it for their sakes it shouldn't be a template for anything other than a physiological boost.

Syferus wrote: »
    Honestly this is what frightens me. If this makes Mulholland think he should, in the main, keep trying to play old school Connacht football he's on to a loser. If I was a manager I'd be mortified at conceding 20 points in 70 minutes and be seeing it as something I need to urgently correct.

A great performance by Galway in the context of where they were coming from but it for their sakes it shouldn't be a template for anything other than a physiological boost.

Thats very true.

Was refreshing to see a match where two teams lined up in traditional formations however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Its worth noting that both teams (especially Cork) got a lot of men behind the ball but didn't know how to utilise it effectively so not exactly living up to past traditions entirely. It was refreshing to see a good game of football though, a lot of well taken scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Interesting to hear Mullholland's interview on Galway Bay the morning afterwards. He was saying that last year after the Antrim game players just wanted to get away and hide (or something to that effect) but on Saturday after everyone had calmed down a little the first question he was asked was when are they going back training.

I didn't think AM's tactics were overly "traditional" really, there was some use of blanket defence there. Now we may only have dropped 2 or 3 extra players back and had Denvir do the sweeper role but given how, as a county, we tend to produce more quality forwards than backs I can't imagine you'll ever see 13 or 14 men behind the ball if we want our best players on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

At least the club championship will be good again, especially if Portumna play Thomas's.

• Advertisement

At least the club championship will be good again, especially if Portumna play Thomas's.

The club c'ship is in general of a good standard, which makes it all the more mysterious why players can't play properly for the county. Maybe the Thomas' lads should wear their club jersey under the county one for comfort....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I really enjoyed the match as a spectacle in Croker and I could see how the neutral would have enjoyed it more, when the football was played into our full forward line, it was a joy to watch. It was a good game and a more traditional game of Gaelic Football.

However............. ! The modern day game is different and there wer times when I could have pulled my hair out. The short faffing around passing in the backs drives me mad. The one thing above everything for me was the way we are not streetwise, especially in closing games out. We made some terrible decisions at key moments that turned the game around, we went to kick miracle points from the sidelines which just gave pocession back to Cork. There was a time when we had a 4 point lead with say 10 minutes left and all we needed to do was don't conceed that goal....... we could have brought more men behind the and ball forced Cork to shoot from further out, but we gave them that space and paid the price. We played it like a game of basketball, letting them run at us and hoping that we would go up and score more than them, we needed to close that game out, play boring if you have to!

The other point that I wanted to make and it pains me to say it, but when Cork did get the lead with with a few minutes to go, they slowed the pace right down and dare I say it, men were dropping like flies on the ground, physios running on, anything to disrupt the pace of the game...... Donegal, Dublin, Mayo they all do it. Annoys the hell out of me and refs should add way more time than they do, call it experience, call it what you will but we should have closed that game out, we are too honest and not crafty enough.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the match as a spectacle in Croker and I could see how the neutral would have enjoyed it more, when the football was played into our full forward line, it was a joy to watch. It was a good game and a more traditional game of Gaelic Football.

However............. ! The modern day game is different and there wer times when I could have pulled my hair out. The short faffing around passing in the backs drives me mad. The one thing above everything for me was the way we are not streetwise, especially in closing games out. We made some terrible decisions at key moments that turned the game around, we went to kick miracle points from the sidelines which just gave pocession back to Cork. There was a time when we had a 4 point lead with say 10 minutes left and all we needed to do was don't conceed that goal....... we could have brought more men behind the and ball forced Cork to shoot from further out, but we gave them that space and paid the price. We played it like a game of basketball, letting them run at us and hoping that we would go up and score more than them, we needed to close that game out, play boring if you have to!

We perhaps got a bit lucky with the goal chances Cork missed but it's a pity we didn't take a couple more chances of our own. Army, Meehan and Doherty all bore down on goal at various stages and I thought they should have been more clinical and gone for the net. Cork's bench also rejuvenated them more than us, Farragher for O'Brien was a poor switch and perhaps Martin may have been left on a bit longer.

The footballers would do well to remember that that was a desperately poor Cork team. Couihan seemed to have no game plan and if it wasn't for the fact that Cork have better individuals they would have lost. We also got quite lucky in regards to conceding goals, had Cork taken one of their many previous goal chances it could have ended the game as a contest early on. I'm as happy with anyone with the performance, but it seems to be going to our heads. A lot of positives, but also a lot of improvements to be made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

For the last few months (with regards the hurlers) I've heard time and time again that there's unrest between certain players from different clubs. A few guesses here and there that it might involve the Portumna and Thomas' lads. Gort and Loughrea mentioned too. Cunningham involved in politics involving certain members of the county board, etc... Nothing exact has ever been said though just rumours and guesses really.

Cab anyone confirm exactly what is going on? Or at least summarise what you might know. Driving me nuts here.

By the way, this has nothing to do with looking looking for an excuse for this years performances. I'm just curious as to where all this talk is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

audman wrote: »
    For the last few months (with regards the hurlers) I've heard time and time again that there's unrest between certain players from different clubs. A few guesses here and there that it might involve the Portumna and Thomas' lads. Gort and Loughrea mentioned too. Cunningham involved in politics involving certain members of the county board, etc... Nothing exact has ever been said though just rumours and guesses really.

Cab anyone confirm exactly what is going on? Or at least summarise what you might know. Driving me nuts here.

By the way, this has nothing to do with looking looking for an excuse for this years performances. I'm just curious as to where all this talk is coming from.

There's always been massive rivarly in Galway club hurling. 25 years ago when we were winning All Ireland's it was no different. You'd often see 2 county teammates tearing strips off each other in Kenny Park and then going into battle side by side with Galway 2 weeks later. The difference is that they could put their differences aside when they entered the county setup for the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Poor Galway.... I cant stop smiling write now. All Ireland Finalists last year and sent out of the quarters this year by the Banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

teednab-el wrote: »
    Poor Galway.... I cant stop smiling write now. All Ireland Finalists last year and sent out of the quarters this year by the Banner.

'Tis a sad life you lead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

teednab-el wrote: »

*right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Bane left the panel last year as he felt his form was not good and he was not getting any game time. He now has a young baby so I doubt we will see him back playing for Galway. Mulholland wants to move onto the next generation of Galway players. He hasnt really wanted to know about the Cormac generation of players.

In fairness, Galway do have comptetition at midfield as O'Curraoin & Flynn were very much vying for that number 9 shirt.
    Seen him for Galway few Times and once for Caherlistrane in the 7s in Kilmacud. He was very accurate from play. Always felt he went a little bit under the radar. Pity if his form went.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

teednab-el do not post in this thread again in anything that could even remotely be considered a trolling manner or else I will perma-ban you from this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you have a problem with a post, report it, calling out another poster in a thread can lead to you being banned also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Seen him for Galway few Times and once for Caherlistrane in the 7s in Kilmacud. He was very accurate from play. Always felt he went a little bit under the radar. Pity if his form went.

Bane has opted out himself

Mulholland wanted him in the squad but he can't give the commitment required

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

THFC wrote: »
    Couldn't be more disgusted with today. No bottle whatsoever. Went down without a fight which is inexcusable. Very sceptical of AC, did a marvellous job last year but all that is undone, if he can't get the team to play like a team I'm not sure he should be manager.

But what a waste of a trip, the losing is not what bothers me, it's the fcuking lack of effort to play as a team. A squad of individuals.

I agree re both these points, Clare just seemed far hungrier and wanted it more.

A squad of individuals sums it up perfectly, its like every player has to do it on his own, where is the support play, a simple handpass can make all the difference.

An All Ireland there for the taking and we should have been favourites for it, its ****ing annoying.

Bane has opted out himself

Mulholland wanted him in the squad but he can't give the commitment required

Not sure Mulholland ever rated him too highly. He very very rarely played him.

The footballers would do well to remember that that was a desperately poor Cork team. Couihan seemed to have no game plan and if it wasn't for the fact that Cork have better individuals they would have lost. We also got quite lucky in regards to conceding goals, had Cork taken one of their many previous goal chances it could have ended the game as a contest early on. I'm as happy with anyone with the performance, but it seems to be going to our heads. A lot of positives, but also a lot of improvements to be made.

I do see your point. However, the one thing Galway fans wanted to see from this team was fight. Those players out there on Saturday showed that. They did not show it against Mayo. All a supporter can ever hope from for a county player is that they give it everything. I think all the Galway players did that on Saturday. They did not do that in the Mayo game. I think that is where the optimism comes from. And I think it is a performance that you can definitely get some hope from.

I do see your point. However, the one thing Galway fans wanted to see from this team was fight. Those players out there on Saturday showed that. They did not show it against Mayo. All a supporter can ever hope from for a county player is that they give it everything. I think all the Galway players did that on Saturday. They did not do that in the Mayo game. I think that is where the optimism comes from. And I think it is a performance that you can definitely get some hope from.
    Completely agree, but it's like a welterweight wanting to fight middleweights and the welterweight totally outclassing the middleweight only for the middleweight to win with his sheer strength. Then, instead of the welterweight going up a (few) weight division like he should, he works on his hitting, only to get mauled in his next fight.

While our attacking play was excellent, there were many basic things we got wrong. In the first half in seemed as if Aidan Walsh was able to cut through our defence at will, same in the second half except it was Pearse O' Neill. There are some obvious things we need to work before trying to play such an expansive game again, just imagine if we came up against Dublin the last day, with A Brogan cutting through our defence with the likes of Mannion, Kilkenny and BB inside, we would have gotten spanked.

The reality is that while we no doubt gave a performance to be proud of, we have to remember it was against a very poor Cork side, who still could've gotten 3 or so goals inside the first half. It was their misses coupled with us giving our best performance in about 4 years that almost won us the match. If we go out with a similar game plan next year against a top 6 team (Mayo being the obvious here) we'll do well not to get hammered.

There's a lot of patting on the back, and some of it is justified, our campaign this year was arguably our best in a long time, but we now we have to ask ourselves if we're happy being a mid-pack team. Galway is a traditional county and we should be top 8 minimum every year. At the moment there is probably 14-16 teams that you could say are better than Galway, which is a bloody shame to be honest. Looking at the way northern teams play may not be a bad idea.

Just had a look at the Galway football club fixtures. The last league fixtures were on 7th July and the next ones are not until 29th September!! Some clubs in division 1A have only played 4 matches so far as well. Must be very very frustrating to be an average club player. Also, the championship was played on May 25th! I know Galways run in the qualifiers messed things up a bit but surely club players deserve to be playing at this time of year too! Finally, I think it would make sense to have one league round before throwing clubs straight back into the championship after such a long break.

Just had a look at the Galway football club fixtures. The last league fixtures were on 7th July and the next ones are not until 29th September!! Some clubs in division 1A have only played 4 matches so far as well. Must be very very frustrating to be an average club player. Also, the championship was played on May 25th! I know Galways run in the qualifiers messed things up a bit but surely club players deserve to be playing at this time of year too! Finally, I think it would make sense to have one league round before throwing clubs straight back into the championship after such a long break.
    U-21 is a bigger joke, last game was February, next game - September.

The reality is that while we no doubt gave a performance to be proud of, we have to remember it was against a very poor Cork side, who still could've gotten 3 or so goals inside the first half. It was their misses coupled with us giving our best performance in about 4 years that almost won us the match. If we go out with a similar game plan next year against a top 6 team (Mayo being the obvious here) we'll do well not to get hammered.

There's a lot of patting on the back, and some of it is justified, our campaign this year was arguably our best in a long time, but we now we have to ask ourselves if we're happy being a mid-pack team. Galway is a traditional county and we should be top 8 minimum every year. At the moment there is probably 14-16 teams that you could say are better than Galway, which is a bloody shame to be honest. Looking at the way northern teams play may not be a bad idea.

No, don't want to see us go the northern way - Kernan tried a bit of that and the team lost their way completely. Given how we played last Saturday I think we would have had a good chance of beating Donegal, given their injury situation and low morale, and perhaps Cavan and Monaghan also. I would have Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and maybe Cork (in that order) ahead of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

i'd say based on last weeks game that Michael Meehan would have a good chance of getting a call for the Irish team to play the Aussies. Not many others, maybe Hanley and Conroy?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement