Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    i'd say based on last weeks game that Michael Meehan would have a good chance of getting a call for the Irish team to play the Aussies. Not many others, maybe Hanley and Conroy?

Based on Meehan's injury problems, he should stay well away from the IR series

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Based on Meehan's injury problems, he should stay well away from the IR series

Was my exact thought as well. Pretty sure he has already played in a previous series.

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Was my exact thought as well. Pretty sure he has already played in a previous series.

He was talking on Second Captains today (http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains) in case anyone is interested. Sounds like he wants to be back involved with Galway again next year.:)

THFC wrote: »
    Completely agree, but it's like a welterweight wanting to fight middleweights and the welterweight totally outclassing the middleweight only for the middleweight to win with his sheer strength. Then, instead of the welterweight going up a (few) weight division like he should, he works on his hitting, only to get mauled in his next fight.

While our attacking play was excellent, there were many basic things we got wrong. In the first half in seemed as if Aidan Walsh was able to cut through our defence at will, same in the second half except it was Pearse O' Neill. There are some obvious things we need to work before trying to play such an expansive game again, just imagine if we came up against Dublin the last day, with A Brogan cutting through our defence with the likes of Mannion, Kilkenny and BB inside, we would have gotten spanked.

The reality is that while we no doubt gave a performance to be proud of, we have to remember it was against a very poor Cork side, who still could've gotten 3 or so goals inside the first half. It was their misses coupled with us giving our best performance in about 4 years that almost won us the match. If we go out with a similar game plan next year against a top 6 team (Mayo being the obvious here) we'll do well not to get hammered.

There's a lot of patting on the back, and some of it is justified, our campaign this year was arguably our best in a long time, but we now we have to ask ourselves if we're happy being a mid-pack team. Galway is a traditional county and we should be top 8 minimum every year. At the moment there is probably 14-16 teams that you could say are better than Galway, which is a bloody shame to be honest. Looking at the way northern teams play may not be a bad idea.

Agree with most of what you say.

I only caught bits of the second half online due to a function and the goal we gave up was appalling to be honest.

You're 3 points up with 5minutes to go.... PACK THE DEFENCE.
    You don't have to buy into the Northern style of football to at least have the cop on to shut up shop with only a few minutes to go.
    O'Neill was able to give a one two handpass with ease in so much space, pick up the rebound and slot it inside to an oncoming player again with too much space to exploit.

That doesn't come down to experience of the big day in Croke Park, it was a bad call by the MGMT and ball watching from players.
    The first goal we gave away to Mayo was equally as frustrating, a solo run from half forward through five players.

Our attack has functioned rather well, but our defence all year has been a shambles and Tipp could have had 3/4 goals had they not being so poor.

They did do well to come back from the Mayo game, but we never should have been beaten by 17 points to begin with.
    We only got as far this year as we have done for most of the past 12 years so while it's a small improvement over 2012 it's still not good enough in the grand scheme of things.
    We're one of the traditional powers, last 8 should be the minimum given the population scale in our favour.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel though, there was some very gamey half backs and half forwards on this years U21 team and that bit of steel and will to win dirty ball could see us feeding a fair amount of ball into a good FF line.

Management probably bought themselves another year, but I'd be expecting us to push for D1 next season and get a win in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

It was a complete shambles on Sunday, but in fairness that's a word that can also be used to describe the state of Galway hurling over the last 25 years. Imagine - 25 years without an AI, with all the talent that has been in the county over that period of time. I'm sure we're all well aware of the infighting between clubs that has affected morale amongest the panel, but that's nothing new to Galway hurling. We all had a great laugh at the goings on in the co final last year, with Johnny Mahers flattening of 2 players, burying a penalty & decking two more as he made his way back to his position afterwards has reached legendary staus on utube & beyond. However, this culture of anarchy that has been allowed to build up between the clubs and to fester unchecked for years at co board level, with each board member seemingly only interested in protecting their own club patch. Remember JC being butchered in a co final 7 years ago anyone? It all played out about 20 yards in front of me, & I can easily say with hand on heart that if what happened then on the pitch happened on the street anywhere, there would have been time done for GBH by at least 2 individuals. Yet the co boards reaction to the whole thing was to fine Cannings club for raising their grieviences through the media! I also recall a load of sweeping under the carpet back in the early 90s when Eanna Ryan was nearly knocked out when struck with a hurl across the head in a local c'ship match. And then we wonder why the players play as a bunch of demotivated, disinterested individuals on days such as last Sunday.
    The whole management power struggle that went on this year is another shambles. If Cunninghams backroom team weren't giving him full support he should have fired the lot of them, with the full support of the co board for his decision. There can be only one captain of any ship. The decision of the Thomas's players to play in the Kilbeacanty 7s was another issue that should have been dealt with firmly by Cunningham, by not doing so showed he lacks big leadership traits. By all accounts this led to more rancour from other members of the panel, accusing him of nepotism.
    Before anyone says to me that 2012 shows that things are working, I will argue that it merely shows us the potential of what happens when things do run smoothly. The reality is that the likes of 2001/2005/2012 only happen for us by chance, and that there is no strategic plan (ala Dublin) to ensure that we are successful on a consistent basis. Dublin developed their "blueprint for hurling" in the early 2000s, with the results being clear for all to see from about 2009 onwards. Granted they had a bad year last year, but instead of blood letting & finger pointing, the co board sat down calmly with the panel & managemnet & sussed out what did go wrong, & subsequently addressed it. What are the chances of that happening in Galway I wonder?
    Galway hurling has failed the many fine players that have worn the jersey over the last 25 years. The likes of Paddy Kelly, Liam Burke, Joe Rabbitte, Eugene Cloonan, Liam Hodgkins, David Tierney, Kevin Broderick, Alan & Mark Kerins, Ollie Canning, Derek Hardiman, Joe McGrath, Liam Donoghue, Damian Joyce, Ger Farragher, to name but a few have all ended up not winning at least one AI medal, and that I firmly believe is a tragedy. The likelihood of the Joe Canning, Damian Hayes, David Brke, Cyril Donnellan, Kevin Hynes & the rest of the currently senior, U21 & minor panels joining them is very high (probably running at about 95%). Players, just like workers in any organisation, need to be given clear leadership & proper structures within which to work & most importantly to maximise their talents. All successful companies (Apple, Ryanair, Kerry Group, Microsoft, etc) show clear leadership from the top, and equip their people with the tools to do their jobs properly. The co board need to take this approach with the senior team, and stop playing to the tune of the clubs. Either that or just disband the co teams & let the clubs do what they like.
    History will judge the guardians of Galway hurling over this period of time very poorly indeed, as a paltry return of only 4 senior titles for such a strong county is nothing short of shameful. The biggest shame of all is I can't see anything happening which offers any hope at all for the future.

I
    Galway hurling has failed the many fine players that have worn the jersey over the last 25 years. The likes of Paddy Kelly, Liam Burke, Joe Rabbitte, Eugene Cloonan, Liam Hodgkins, David Tierney, Kevin Broderick, Alan & Mark Kerins, Ollie Canning, Derek Hardiman, Joe McGrath, Liam Donoghue, Damian Joyce, Ger Farragher, to name but a few have all ended up not winning at least one AI medal, and that I firmly believe is a tragedy.

I liked Tierney and was always disappointed that Galway fans gave him such a hard time but not sure he deserves to be on a list with those guys!

I liked Tierney and was always disappointed that Galway fans gave him such a hard time but not sure he deserves to be on a list with those guys!

The names I listed are just examples - in reality it's only a sample. You could argue the merits of all I listed, but the point I was trying to make was that we have had more than enough talent to win at least 3-4 AIs in the 25 years, given the right structures & environment. Personally I felt that Tierney showed enough raw talent at times to suggest that with right coaching & nuturing, he would produce the goods on a consistent basis. Just my opinion thou, others may think differently. The central point remains - Galway hurling has blown it through sheer incompetence & neglect @ co board level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The central point remains - Galway hurling has blown it through sheer incompetence & neglect @ co board level.

Oh there are much more fundamental problems than that, starting with the attitudes of the people over the u-14 & u-16 panels over the past 10-15 years.

I was umpire of an U-10 blitz several years ago when one of the young lads complained about getting beaten by one of the stronger teams around (who had 2/3 lads who would be on an U12 team later that month). I gave the young lad a small piece about watching what the team that were beating them were doing and learning lessons off what he saw. The kid smiled back to me and said thanks.

A prominent galway underage selector overheard what I said and said to the kid, "I would normally tell you to ignore anything said by a <club nickname>, but he's right".

People wonder why players from certain clubs don't get along, it's because they are taught by their county trainers not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Do Donnellan and Hynes deserve to be listed alongside Hayes and Canning? I really don't think either are top intercounty hurlers at all.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Do Donnellan and Hynes deserve to be listed alongside Hayes and Canning? I really don't think either are top intercounty hurlers at all.
    Hynes captained the u21s in 07 - he's really a midfielder who was converted. He would have been nurtured better in another county. Donnellan was one of our top forwards last year until he broke his arm - another underrated player who was badly managed. The argument is irrelevant anyway, we all have our opinions on the merits of different players. The point I'm trying to make is that hurling in Galway has been betrayed by those who have been charged with nurturing it - that's the real crux. That's the reason we continue to be a laughing stock. As I said b4 the worst thing of all is that there's no sight of real desire to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit harsh on Kevin Hynes who was actually a pretty good midfielder/half-forward (his best positions) at first. Not his fault that the Galway management have tried to batter his square head into a round hole in the full-back line. I fear they have ruined him for good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

That is grossly unfair to both players.

Hynes' reputation as a fine midfielder is ruined by the current management's insisting he play in the FB line. Some players just do not adapt to a switch like that. All it has served to do is ruin the man's confidence and it is unlikely he will recover.

I'm sick and tired of people running down Donnellan. Is this the Club thing coming into it? Just because he's from a perceived weaker club, he doesn't deserve his place. He always gives his all on the field and is one of the few half-forwards on the panel capable of winning his own ball. He stands out a mile at club level, so is well entitled to be on the Co panel.

CyberDave wrote: »
    That is grossly unfair to both players.

Hynes' reputation as a fine midfielder is ruined by the current management's insisting he play in the FB line. Some players just do not adapt to a switch like that. All it has served to do is ruin the man's confidence and it is unlikely he will recover.

I'm sick and tired of people running down Donnellan. Is this the Club thing coming into it? Just because he's from a perceived weaker club, he doesn't deserve his place. He always gives his all on the field and is one of the few half-forwards on the panel capable of winning his own ball. He stands out a mile at club level, so is well entitled to be on the Co panel.

I'm not saying they're bad players... or that they don't deserve their place on the panel, I was just saying I don't think you could say they were top hurlers or are players deserving of an All-Ireland based off their ability. I'm sure worse hurlers than them have won them, but personally, I don't think I'd take either as a starter in the current Limerick team, for example.

And it's got nothing to do with his club thing, I've never seen him play for his club, I was judging him solely on his performances at intercounty level over his career. Same with Hynes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Think Fireball is right, neither are top class inter county hurlers. Not seeing they're not inter County standard but their not all star material. No slight on them, very high level to be even on an inter-county hurler. But while you might look back on Canning or David Burke if they never won an all-ireland as two players that can be considered amongst the unluckiest never to win an all-ireland, I don't think you could say the same about Donnellan and Hynes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Think Fireball is right, neither are top class inter county hurlers. Not seeing they're not inter County standard but their not all star material. No slight on them, very high level to be even on an inter-county hurler. But while you might look back on Canning or David Burke if they never won an all-ireland as two players that can be considered amongst the unluckiest never to win an all-ireland, I don't think you could say the same about Donnellan and Hynes.

Canning (both of them), yes. David Burke shows signs of becoming the enigma of Galway GAA - all the ability in the world but so often can't seem to impose himself on a game, tends to play only 1 or 2 good games out of 5. Really has to push on next year or face being dropped (at least by competent management). Hynes bit unlucky in that he would have made his place quicker at midfield a few seasons back only for injury disruption; now that he's finally near full fitness he gets played out of position. Was never Donnellan's biggest fan. Like Joe Bergin for the footballers, he has a great attitude and is a great tryer, however he lacks some of the fundamental skills of the game and his use of the ball is often poor so that it prevents him from becoming a really indispensable county player. Was having his best season last year until injury derailed him.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Canning (both of them), yes. David Burke shows signs of becoming the enigma of Galway GAA - all the ability in the world but so often can't seem to impose himself on a game, tends to play only 1 or 2 good games out of 5. Really has to push on next year or face being dropped (at least by competent management). Hynes bit unlucky in that he would have made his place quicker at midfield a few seasons back only for injury disruption; now that he's finally near full fitness he gets played out of position. Was never Donnellan's biggest fan. Like Joe Bergin for the footballers, he has a great attitude and is a great tryer, however he lacks some of the fundamental skills of the game and his use of the ball is often poor so that it prevents him from becoming a really indispensable county player. Was having his best season last year until injury derailed him.

I agree that Burke can play a lot better. But have you not seen the other current Galway forwards???? He is a long way from being dropped.

I think everyone is missing the point I tried to make earlier - that the structures & leadership shown at the top management level (co board primarily) has devastingly failed Galway hurling for a quarter of a century. We have had more than enough talent to have won at least 5 (if not more) All Irelands in that period of time, but shambolic leadership has failed this talent. The arguments of who should & shouldn't be included in the list of talented players is for another day - my despair stems from the fact that if the Kilkenny panel/s of the last 10-15 years had somehow been transported to Galway, the likelihood is that none of them (including Shefflin/Walsh/DJ/Delaney/etc) would have won even one All Ireland. That's a terrible indictment of the people who are charged with ensuring our best players can compete on an equal playing field. What's worse is that there is no accountability, save for various blood thirsty witch hunts by vested interests/clubs who felt that their man should have got the managers job the last time.
    Their was a root & branch review (the results of which were never published) after the Dublin & Waterford debacles of 2011, & I genuinely thought that all about to change - 2012 reinforced my view on this. However I now know that 2012 was just like 1993/2001/2005 - a mere flash in the pan, nothing to do with improved leadership & structures. The most harrowing thing from my perspective is that Joe Canning is unlikely to ever play in another AI final. That's a shocking statistic for someone who should not unreasonably expect to win at least 3-4 medals in his career.

The most harrowing thing from my perspective is that Joe Canning is unlikely to ever play in another AI final. That's a shocking statistic for someone who should not unreasonably expect to win at least 3-4 medals in his career.

For a start that's not a statistic. Secondly, it's not even close to fact. What age is he, 24, 25? So you've made about a 6 or 7 year speculation largely based on your disappointment of how this year went. Not the most accurate gauge.

I do remember a similar reaction after the 25 point defeat against Kilkenny in the league last year, and look how that turned out. Now, I too would have been bitterly disappointed then. And obviously Galway have problems. But given the very nature of this year's championship alone to speculate that he will not play in one again is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

I think everyone is missing the point I tried to make earlier - that the structures & leadership shown at the top management level (co board primarily) has devastingly failed Galway hurling for a quarter of a century. We have had more than enough talent to have won at least 5 (if not more) All Irelands in that period of time, but shambolic leadership has failed this talent. The arguments of who should & shouldn't be included in the list of talented players is for another day - my despair stems from the fact that if the Kilkenny panel/s of the last 10-15 years had somehow been transported to Galway, the likelihood is that none of them (including Shefflin/Walsh/DJ/Delaney/etc) would have won even one All Ireland. That's a terrible indictment of the people who are charged with ensuring our best players can compete on an equal playing field. What's worse is that there is no accountability, save for various blood thirsty witch hunts by vested interests/clubs who felt that their man should have got the managers job the last time.
    Their was a root & branch review (the results of which were never published) after the Dublin & Waterford debacles of 2011, & I genuinely thought that all about to change - 2012 reinforced my view on this. However I now know that 2012 was just like 1993/2001/2005 - a mere flash in the pan, nothing to do with improved leadership & structures. The most harrowing thing from my perspective is that Joe Canning is unlikely to ever play in another AI final. That's a shocking statistic for someone who should not unreasonably expect to win at least 3-4 medals in his career.

I don't know what goes on internally in Galway but it has always mystified me how they seem to be unable to follow one good year with another. I know some people will still argue you don't have the players but I couldn't agree with that at all. In 2005, Galway defeated Kilkenny in the U21 Final. That Kilkenny 15 included Richie Power, Michael Rice, John Tennyson, John Dalton, Michael Fennelly, Cha Fitzpatrick & Eoin Larkin. They have nearly 40 All Ireland medals between them now. Clearly the Galway players were a match for them eight years ago so what happens when they step up to senior. Galway have very few semi-final appearances since then, let alone finals.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I don't know what goes on internally in Galway but it has always mystified me how they seem to be unable to follow one good year with another. I know some people will still argue you don't have the players but I couldn't agree with that at all. In 2005, Galway defeated Kilkenny in the U21 Final. That Kilkenny 15 included Richie Power, Michael Rice, John Tennyson, John Dalton, Michael Fennelly, Cha Fitzpatrick & Eoin Larkin. They have nearly 40 All Ireland medals between them now. Clearly the Galway players were a match for them eight years ago so what happens when they step up to senior. Galway have very few semi-final appearances since then, let alone finals.

Yeah, I was thinking similar. Galway beat Limerick in the minor final of 2005 too... now that Limerick minor team forms the backbone of the current side- Tom Condon, Gavin O'Mahoney, Seamus Hickey, James Ryan...with David Moloney, Eoin Ryan and Bryan O'Sullivan all being involved at senior level before. And Richie Mc was a sub. Now they're not all top class, but they're all very solid intercounty players.

From the winning Galway team, there is only Skehill and Canning involved, and Skehill can be very dodgy at times. I can't remember which of those players were good but surely from Paul Loughrane, Keith Kilkenny, Andrew Keary, Kevin Coen, Conor Kavanagh, etc. there should be a couple more playing senior??

• Advertisement

I do not think that is the case at all. What brings you to a figure of 5? Galway have plenty of talent but I cannot think of even 1 year in the last 20 where I felt at the start of the year that Galway had the best panel in the country. 2nd, 3rd, 4th best maybe but never the best. So I think its unsurprising that we have won so little.

Also, the Kilkenny team of the last decade with Shefflin & Walsh would win regardless of which county they grew up in.

I do wonder sometimes how much it affects Galway players development not to have a provincial championship at underage. I really think it would help if Galway entered Leinster at underage - I dont understand why they dont:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I think everyone is missing the point I tried to make earlier - that the structures & leadership shown at the top management level (co board primarily) has devastingly failed Galway hurling for a quarter of a century. We have had more than enough talent to have won at least 5 (if not more) All Irelands in that period of time, but shambolic leadership has failed this talent. The arguments of who should & shouldn't be included in the list of talented players is for another day

It certainly isn't. I don't mean to run down men who were fine hurlers but by the standards of All Ireland winners it's a very underwhelming list. Most of them would have struggled to even start for the great Cork and Kilkenny sides who have dominated for the last half of those 25 years, let alone been the best players. Galway haven't been winning because there were teams with more talent than they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Yeah, I was thinking similar. Galway beat Limerick in the minor final of 2005 too... now that Limerick minor team forms the backbone of the current side- Tom Condon, Gavin O'Mahoney, Seamus Hickey, James Ryan...with David Moloney, Eoin Ryan and Bryan O'Sullivan all being involved at senior level before. And Richie Mc was a sub. Now they're not all top class, but they're all very solid intercounty players.

From the winning Galway team, there is only Skehill and Canning involved, and Skehill can be very dodgy at times. I can't remember which of those players were good but surely from Paul Loughrane, Keith Kilkenny, Andrew Keary, Kevin Coen, Conor Kavanagh, etc. there should be a couple more playing senior??

John Lee was on that team aswell I think. I seem to remember him and Keary looking like they'd be stars for many years in the maroon.

AngeGal wrote: »
    John Lee was on that team aswell I think. I seem to remember him and Keary looking like they'd be stars for many years in the maroon.

Well I just looked up the team, and he wasn't there, maybe he was injured for the final?

I remember he had one very good season at senior level, what actually happened to him?

Well I just looked up the team, and he wasn't there, maybe he was injured for the final?

I remember he had one very good season at senior level, what actually happened to him?

No you're right, checked there and Lee was on it '03 and '04, Keary was alongside him in '04 I think so that was probably what I was thinking of.

Not entirely sure what happened to him but I know he's a doctor and I heard it was a mixture of the hours required for that & not really having sufficient interest/drive for the hurling.

Does Lee play club hurling now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I see Cyril Farrell has claimed the hurling management have lost the dressing room. Strange they ever had it.....who's the best man for Galway hurling,,,,I'd say Donal O Grady would be do ye good.

For a start that's not a statistic. Secondly, it's not even close to fact. What age is he, 24, 25? So you've made about a 6 or 7 year speculation largely based on your disappointment of how this year went. Not the most accurate gauge.

I do remember a similar reaction after the 25 point defeat against Kilkenny in the league last year, and look how that turned out. Now, I too would have been bitterly disappointed then. And obviously Galway have problems. But given the very nature of this year's championship alone to speculate that he will not play in one again is a bit much.
    205-2012 was 7 years - think of the number of players shed in that period. Even the turnover from '01-'05 was huge.

I do not think that is the case at all. What brings you to a figure of 5? Galway have plenty of talent but I cannot think of even 1 year in the last 20 where I felt at the start of the year that Galway had the best panel in the country. 2nd, 3rd, 4th best maybe but never the best. So I think its unsurprising that we have won so little.

Also, the Kilkenny team of the last decade with Shefflin & Walsh would win regardless of which county they grew up in.

I do wonder sometimes how much it affects Galway players development not to have a provincial championship at underage. I really think it would help if Galway entered Leinster at underage - I dont understand why they dont:confused:
    5 is an estimate based on the quality of underage, the quality of hurling I see in club games, the quality of talent coming through the schools (Raphaels being a prime example) and the success at all levels apart from senior. There's been plenty of years when, in my opinion, we started with panels the equal of anyone ('96/'97/'99/'01/'02/'05/'07/'10/'12), whilst a few other years we were probably 2nd or 3rd best. Cork won an u21 in '98 & a minor in '01, and won 2 seniors backboned by them (missed out unluckily on at least one more). The point was made earlier about our u21 winnig side in '05 - similarily in '07 when we easily beat Dublin, most of that panel have now disappeared (Hynes Canning & Skehill only left I think). Yet the nucleus of that Dublin side trounced us in the Leinster final a few short weeks ago. What we are doing with our young talent defies logic. Can anyone say that Canning hasn't gone back since his tour de force performance v Cork in '08? He was only 19 then - he should be almost 20% better now, yet he look like a washed up beaten docket v Clare the last day. He looks like a man who's no longer enjoying his hurling.

It looks like I'm the only one here who believes we have seriously underachieved over the past 25 years. Others seem to think that our players haven't been good enough, but I don't accept this. I played against a number of players at club level, & whilst admittedly I didn't exactly set too much of a challenge to them (& possibly hastened their elevation to the co panel!), I konw good hurlers when I see them & play against them. Galway has had more than enough good hurlers to win more All Irelands than we have; the fact that we're even having this debate is heartbreaking.

5 There's been plenty of years when, in my opinion, we started with panels the equal of anyone ('96/'97/'99/'01/'02/'05/'07/'10/'12), whilst a few other years we were probably 2nd or 3rd best.

Wouldnt agree with those years at all. For example in 2010, Galways panel simply was not as good as Kilkenny's or Tipp's. In 1996 / 1997, Galway would not have had the same calibre of player as the Clare team in that era.

I think you have a point that players in Galway are perhaps not developed correctly. They actually talked a little about this on Championship Matters 2 weeks ago (more about football than hurling).

However, in my opinion, you are very much over-estimating how good the Galway panel have been over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt agree with those years at all. For example in 2010, Galways panel simply was not as good as Kilkenny's or Tipp's. In 1996 / 1997, Galway would not have had the same calibre of player as the Clare team in that era.

I think you have a point that players in Galway are perhaps not developed correctly. They actually talked a little about this on Championship Matters 2 weeks ago (more about football than hurling).

However, in my opinion, you are very much over-estimating how good the Galway panel have been over the last few years.
    In '10 after an admittedly v poor showing v Kk in the Leinster final (when they weren't exactly pulling up trees either in fairness), we went toe to toe with Tipp in the quarters, & were very unlucky to lose. In '96 v Wex we dominated from start to finish, but hit a horrendous number of wides (22 i think) to eventually lose by 3. In '97 we had a super side - out hurled Kk for 45 mins but somehow threw away a 10 point lead in the closing stages (still trying to figure that one out). Any of those years we were good enough.

Maybe it's the mental side we're lacking in, but that should surely have been addressed by now. We certainly do have the hurlers. Maybe we discard players too quickly after 1 or 2 bad games instead of persisting with them - we possibly have too much talent coming through. Look at the way Niall Corcoran was ditched in '07 - I'd say he's got a very strong case for an allstar this year.

In '10 after an admittedly v poor showing v Kk in the Leinster final (when they weren't exactly pulling up trees either in fairness), we went toe to toe with Tipp in the quarters, & were very unlucky to lose. In '96 v Wex we dominated from start to finish, but hit a horrendous number of wides (22 i think) to eventually lose by 3. In '97 we had a super side - out hurled Kk for 45 mins but somehow threw away a 10 point lead in the closing stages (still trying to figure that one out). Any of those years we were good enough.

None of that makes us a better team than the teams that beat us.

It makes us almost as good as the teams that beat us. Almost doesnt win an All-Ireland.

None of that makes us a better team than the teams that beat us.

It makes us almost as good as the teams that beat us. Almost doesnt win an All-Ireland.
    We'll have to agree to differ dude - you don't believe we have enough quality hurlers, whereas I do. Simple as that.

I believe our failings lie in the leadership.

We'll have to agree to differ dude - you don't believe we have enough quality hurlers, whereas I do. Simple as that.

I believe our failings lie in the leadership.

I believe that we have quality hurlers. But not the same amount of quality hurlers as Tipp / Kilkenny in the last few years. Just like we did not have the same quality of hurler as Clare in the mid 1990s. Probably, your argument holds some weight this year actually - whoever ends up as AI champions this year, you could argue Galway would have had equally as good a panel. But I do not think that applies to some of the instances you talk about in the past.

Hitting 22 wides in a match is not something to be proud of, and not something that suggests the team was full of quality. It is very easy to puck a ball wide. A lot harder to puck a ball over the bar! Just like hurling well for 45 minutes is a lot easier than hurling well for 70 minutes.

Maybe it's the mental side we're lacking in, but that should surely have been addressed by now. We certainly do have the hurlers. Maybe we discard players too quickly after 1 or 2 bad games instead of persisting with them - we possibly have too much talent coming through. Look at the way Niall Corcoran was ditched in '07 - I'd say he's got a very strong case for an allstar this year.

The one that sprung to mind for me was 2007. Don't think Galway were even the 4th best side that year.

But your argument is based on panels at the start of the year so how do I argue against that when you could simply say it was the managers fualt? But then in 2010 supposedly they went toe to toe with Tipp[ which proves they were as good as the all-ireland champions where as the demolition against Kilkenny couldn't possibly be their true form.

I wouldn't argue that Galway have always had potential, but potential is just that. Underage all-irelands were never a guarantee of Senior success and I think a lot of players lose the appetite when they do win underage all-irelands. Some think they have nothing more to do. That I think has been a problem for Galway and I would agree with Inchicore dude they would be far better off in the Leinster Minor and particularly under 21 championship where they only have to win two games to win an all-ireland.

But even that aside, I still don't believe Galway had all-ireland winning panels in what was it 9 years you mentioned?

Does Lee play club hurling now?

Yeah I seen him playing for Mellows last year, he played fairly well but didn't look in the best of shape.

The one that sprung to mind for me was 2007. Don't think Galway were even the 4th best side that year.

But your argument is based on panels at the start of the year so how do I argue against that when you could simply say it was the managers fualt? But then in 2010 supposedly they went toe to toe with Tipp[ which proves they were as good as the all-ireland champions where as the demolition against Kilkenny couldn't possibly be their true form.

I wouldn't argue that Galway have always had potential, but potential is just that.[/B][/B] Underage all-irelands were never a guarantee of Senior success and I think a lot of players lose the appetite when they do win underage all-irelands. Some think they have nothing more to do. That I think has been a problem for Galway and I would agree with Inchicore dude they would be far better off in the Leinster Minor and particularly under 21 championship where they only have to win two games to win an all-ireland.

But even that aside, I still don't believe Galway had all-ireland winning panels in what was it 9 years you mentioned?
    I believe that potentially they had - it's a lack of proper structures/coaching/minding/whatever you want to call it in transition from underage level. I firmly believe that if other counties (Tipp/Cork/KK/Clare/etc) had only these players, they would not have gone 25 years without winning.

I accept that potential does not win all irelands, but a county board must develop potential. I also see merit in your point that sometimes underage success satisfies hunger, but why is this not the case in Kk, Tipp, Dublin, Tyrone (football) and others? Again this is down to a culture nutured at co board level. Until as such time as this is tackled we'll be back arguing this same point again year after year.

I stick to my belief thou that Galway hurling has had the talent to win All Irelands since '88. It's a failure a co board level that we haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Rightwing wrote: »
    I see Cyril Farrell has claimed the hurling management have lost the dressing room. Strange they ever had it.....who's the best man for Galway hurling,,,,I'd say Donal O Grady would be do ye good.

Any link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Any link to this?

Its on the back page of todays Independent with the actual article in tomorrows edition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

After the events of the weekend i've a feeling the footballers will win an All - Ireland before the hurlers do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

A moot point, but they were distinctly unlucky in '97. Had played well all league but crucially lost Mike Coleman to injury in the dying minutes of the last match v Offaly that ended his year. They came in cold v KK, a team who had already played a number of games and from Munster / Leinster that had the advantage of the back door not available to Connacht/Ulster teams, in Thurles in the c'ship. Dominated for a lot of the game but left Nigel Shaughnessy for far too long on DJ, who waltzed through taking obligatory 10 steps for a goal or two. Sideline lost that game very very badly. Hard luck on a team that were gelling well and had good forwards. If I had Phelim or Joe McDonagh that day I would have throttled them for accepting the back door rule that disadvantaged Galway even worse than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

AngeGal wrote: »
    Yeah I seen him playing for Mellows last year, he played fairly well but didn't look in the best of shape.
    He's a doctor afaik, wouldn't have much time to train I suppose. There's another inter-county player who's a doctor, can't remember who though, think it may be a Tipp footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

THFC wrote: »
    He's a doctor afaik, wouldn't have much time to train I suppose. There's another inter-county player who's a doctor, can't remember who though, think it may be a Tipp footballer.

Stephen Lucey of Limerick is a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

grenache wrote: »
    Stephen Lucey of Limerick is a doctor.

And scarily he managed to play hurling and football side by side for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I posted this up on the supporters website, though I'd share it with you guys.

Senior Football Championship
    Saturday 10th Aug both at 7 PM
    Tuam Stadium Killererin vs Cortoon Shamrocks
    Pearse Stadium Annaghdown vs St Michael's

Sunday 11th Aug 2013
    3 30 PM Duggan Park Caltra vs Mountbellew/Moylough
    4 15 PM Pearse Stadium An Cheathrú Rua vs Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir
    6 00 PM Pearse Stadium Corofin vs N.U.I Galway
    6 00 PM Tuam Stadium Tuam Stars vs Salthill-Knocknacarra

Saturday 17th Aug both at 7 PM

Tuam Stadium Kilkerrin-Clonberne vs St. James
    Pearse Stadium Cárna-Caiseal vs Milltown

Sunday 18th Aug 2013

4 00 PM Pearse Stadium Moycullen vs lossers of Killererin & Cortoon Shamrocks
    6 15 PM Tuam Stadium Kilconly vs winners of Killererin & Cortoon Shamrocks

• Advertisement

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I posted this up on the supporters website, though I'd share it with you guys.

Senior Football Championship
    Saturday 10th Aug both at 7 PM
    Tuam Stadium Killererin vs Cortoon Shamrocks
    Pearse Stadium Annaghdown vs St Michael's

Sunday 11th Aug 2013
    3 30 PM Duggan Park Caltra vs Mountbellew/Moylough
    4 15 PM Pearse Stadium An Cheathrú Rua vs Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir
    6 00 PM Pearse Stadium Corofin vs N.U.I Galway
    6 00 PM Tuam Stadium Tuam Stars vs Salthill-Knocknacarra

Saturday 17th Aug both at 7 PM

Tuam Stadium Kilkerrin-Clonberne vs St. James
    Pearse Stadium Cárna-Caiseal vs Milltown

Sunday 18th Aug 2013

4 00 PM Pearse Stadium Moycullen vs lossers of Killererin & Cortoon Shamrocks
    6 15 PM Tuam Stadium Kilconly vs winners of Killererin & Cortoon Shamrocks

Why are those 2 matches on the 17th? Why not put them on a week earlier and then have another full round on the weekend o the 17th/18th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Why are those 2 matches on the 17th? Why not put them on a week earlier and then have another full round on the weekend o the 17th/18th?

Agreed!
    It's looking like NUIG are finding it hard to get 15 players for the match vs Corofin. An SOS has been sent out via the Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Because the clubs involved were told almost 3 months ago that's when they'd be playing their next match.

Will there be extra time played in these games if its a draw???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Massive game in Tuam between Tuam and Salthill, repeat of last years final. Would expect Tuam to win that one though, should have the hunger to pull them through.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement