Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

nagirrac wrote: »
    Conor Whelan was brilliant today and made the difference in extra time with a few lovely scores. A lad whose first touch and pace we could have done with on the senior team a few weeks ago. Hurling is now a young man's game, look at Tony Kelly running rings around Limerick today. Although AC went with youth when he came on board as manager, we were very lacking in pace this year. Where are lads like Ritchie Cummins who has serious pace?

He was fantastic in extra time. A wonderful player to watch.

I also suspect that Shane Cooney has a big future.

The Limerick number 10 was also outstanding, so much so I thought Galway should have dropped a 2nd player back on him.

Talk on TSG of Limerick appealing the result because of the point that wasn't given. In fairness the ref evened it up with that ridiculous free right at the end. Not sure Limerick will see it that way though.

The re made a lot of dubious calls throughout though. That last one was just consistent with his other dubious calls!

However, if Limerick were good enough to beat Galway, they would have done it in extra-time and therefore, I dont think they should appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There were a lot of good showings. Molloy, Whelan, Conneely, Shane Cooney as mentioned and especially the subs Branningan and Hastings who made a big difference.

The hawk-eye stuff was ridiculous to be fair to Limerick but the free to bring the game to ET was such a gimme considering how free flowing he allowed the game to be and how physical it was in the 1st half. You could tell he didn't want the game decided on a points difference.

Just a small note that I mentioned on here already but I was delighted that Eanna Burke knocked over the point at the end after he was jeered relentlessly taking a free/65 by the Limerick fans.

There were a lot of good showings. Molloy, Whelan, Conneely, Shane Cooney as mentioned and especially the subs Branningan and Hastings who made a big difference.

The hawk-eye stuff was ridiculous to be fair to Limerick but the free to bring the game to ET was such a gimme considering how free flowing he allowed the game to be and how physical it was in the 1st half. You could tell he didn't want the game decided on a points difference.

Just a small note that I mentioned on here already but I was delighted that Eanna Burke knocked over the point at the end after he was jeered relentlessly taking a free/65 by the Limerick fans.

All the subs were superb. Hastings made a huge difference at midfield and should certainly be pushing for a start in the final.

I didnt like the jeering either. Was particularly bad in the first half. I also never understand fans who applauad a miss by the opposition. What is there to applaud???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Very proud of our Minors today. They did very well.
    In all sincerity I didn't give them a chance today - not after what I saw in
    Semple Stadium v. Laois. I was hoping Mattie would have his homework done

In fairness he did. Matties's the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Looking at David McInerny for Clare yesterday... its hard to see why Niall Donohue hasnt made the same transition as our automatic number 3.

Cunningham simply has to allow lads to settle into positions in the spring and let them make them their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

Toplink,Clare play a different style to galway. eg. Mulcahy broke through in the first half and rounded McInerney, Donnellan ran back and helped him out.In Galway they dont play as a team to help each other out.So if that was Niall Donoghue rounded no galway player would get back to help him.

So disheartening to see Clare/Cork competition in this years final. A repeat of the relegation play-off.
    Neither team became great over night and the next few championships will prove that.
    We ran them close after about as bad as a first half you're likely to see, really it was nearly a carbon copy of yesterday.

Limerick started well, their FF had a howler and left frees behind, they went in 7 down after a sloppy goal.... got close but the gap was too much for points alone and like ourselves they couldn't get the goals they needed.

Another minor final as well to rub salt into the wounds.
    Ive been thinking about the complaints we hear in relation to our underage playing less games.
    While i can see where people are coming from, it has to be noted we'd be playing in Leinster which isn't exactly a competitive province.
    Chances are we'd make the 1/4s more often than not.
    If the team can beat provincial finalists in the 1/4 and 1/2 finals then the chances of us losing to a Carlow or Offaly are minimal.
    The U21s are in a slightly different set up, winners only progress(minor second chance for provincial final losers only) but if winning the 2/3 games was that easy, then why didn't we win more AI's at senior over the years?.

If we were talking about football I'd agree 100% but the pool of counties competing in hurling means it's much muchness about nothing really.
    These young players future development isn't impeded by playing one or two less games at this age in their lives, and we can't be the only county who are the exception to the rule in terms of lack of interest after success(i.e players get big heads after winning a minor and lack drive for senior is banded out a lot which is ridic really).

Its also worth noting we didn't go into Leinster for more games, but for the fact that we were being shafted with tricky qualifier draws meaning we were the only contender not receiving a second shot.... some years it meant winning 5/6 tough games on the spin. If the seniors had straight passage to a 1/4 we wouldn't have taken the offer and rightly so, not our fault Connacht counties are unable to compete(Dublin footballers and Cork/Kerry have much the same situation).

On the minor game itself, it's good to see a CB perform as that's exactly what we need. I thought we had that position covered when Daithi Burke played minor there but alas he's sticking with the football it seems.
    Was interesting to see that we had a FF much the same size and look as JC and unable to use him to effect... he kept drifting out the field and hadn't the pace to cope. He should have been left in on the square where he almost grabbed a goal in the second half.
    On the point that wasnt it's impossible to ever tell if it was, seems people are basing it strictly off the image but who knows what part of that was the correct piece(image or result).
    I guess the only way to ever end the debate would be to put another bar along the top and a net running down, ball doesn't end up in the sack then it obv wasn't a score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

On the point that wasnt it's impossible to ever tell if it was, seems people are basing it strictly off the image but who knows what part of that was the correct piece(image or result).
    I guess the only way to ever end the debate would be to put another bar along the top and a net running down, ball doesn't end up in the sack then it obv wasn't a score.

Judging by Galway keeper's reactions though, it seems as if it was almost certainly a point. He tapped the crossbar as the ball passed overhead.

I'd be pretty sure someone had a word in the ref's ear at HT to say that be sure LK don't lose by a point.

MfMan wrote: »
    Judging by Galway keeper's reactions though, it seems as if it was almost certainly a point. He tapped the crossbar as the ball passed overhead.

I'd be pretty sure someone had a word in the ref's ear at HT to say that be sure LK don't lose by a point.

I saw them say that on the Sunday game, but that's assuming that every keeper is vocal in terms of calling for wides.
    He could be a quiet lad who just gets on with the game, and realistically jumping around the place signalling it was wide isn't going to change an umpire/refs decision by and large(also you can say it was 30secs into the game so both teams were just settling).

I guess the moral of the story should be for players to keep the ball under the posts, if you start hitting balls over the top you're liable to get caught out with a dodgy call.

They can feel aggrieved by it, but he also gave them an extra minute to draw level and one of their players should have walked for a wild pull near the end of normal time.... he didn't even concede a free for it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Toplink,Clare play a different style to galway. eg. Mulcahy broke through in the first half and rounded McInerney, Donnellan ran back and helped him out.In Galway they dont play as a team to help each other out.So if that was Niall Donoghue rounded no galway player would get back to help him.

The galling part is that was our style of play in 2012. We played Johnny Coen as a sweeper and he was excellent all year. Leaving aside how poor our intensity was against Clare in the first half, we got the tactics all wrong by leaving 2 on 2 against Honan and McGrath, which is why we conceded the goal. Once Hynes was turned by McGrath he had a clear run on goal. Johnny Coen was marking Tony Kelly who spent the first half at MF or in his own HB line, pulling Coen with him. We played right into Clare's strengths, and funnily enough Limerick did the same yesterday and seemed just as clueless on the sideline to react to it.

Clare are going from strength to strength and have become a very good side by changing their lineup and tactics as the season went on. A lot of people both within and outside Clare with egg on their faces who were belittling Davy earlier in the year. He has proven to be an excellent manager, reacting between games and during games and getting superb return from his panel. They are a bunch of kids playing like veterans.

While i can see where people are coming from, it has to be noted we'd be playing in Leinster which isn't exactly a competitive province.
    Chances are we'd make the 1/4s more often than not.
    If the team can beat provincial finalists in the 1/4 and 1/2 finals then the chances of us losing to a Carlow or Offaly are minimal.

How is it not competitive? Kilkenny and Dublin have both won it in recent years. If you put Galway in there, you have 3 competitive teams. Not too different from senior at the moment.
    If we were talking about football I'd agree 100% but the pool of counties competing in hurling means it's much muchness about nothing really.
    These young players future development isn't impeded by playing one or two less games at this age in their lives, and we can't be the only county who are the exception to the rule in terms of lack of interest after success(i.e players get big heads after winning a minor and lack drive for senior is banded out a lot which is ridic really).

I disagree with you here. I really think good tough matchs for 18 year olds is crucial to their development. Games improve players more than training ever does. The more competitive a game, the more it will improve a player. And in your late teens, you are at a pivotal time in your development as a player.
    Its also worth noting we didn't go into Leinster for more games, but for the fact that we were being shafted with tricky qualifier draws meaning we were the only contender not receiving a second shot.... some years it meant winning 5/6 tough games on the spin. If the seniors had straight passage to a 1/4 we wouldn't have taken the offer and rightly so, not our fault Connacht counties are unable to compete(Dublin footballers and Cork/Kerry have much the same situation).

Why on earth would a straight route to an AI q/f be preferable to playing in Leinster? Yes sure, Its not Galway's fault that there is no other hurling county in Connacht at their level. However, the provincial system is skewed when it comes to hurling. Hurling in Galway is south Galway, attached to Munster and Leinster hurling areas. So it ABSOLUTELY makes sense that Galway compete in one of those provinces.

I do not see any valid argument for Galway not competing in Munster or Leinster.

Nagarric,
    If you recall in the Galway VS. Clare game, Grealish was the spare man in the half back line like Donnellan was yesterday,and did he get back for the McGrath goal like Donnellan did on Mulcahy yesterday?Its called team work and making yourself available,its not rocket science.

Nagarric,
    If you recall in the Galway VS. Clare game, Grealish was the spare man in the half back line like Donnellan was yesterday,and did he get back for the McGrath goal like Donnellan did on Mulcahy yesterday?Its called team work and making yourself available,its not rocket science.

A spare man in the HB line is not a sweeper. Clare completely bypassed our HB line and went directly to Honan either with high ball where he had an advantage over Moore, or McGrath with low ball into the corners where he had a speed advantage over Hynes. The problem was where Grealish was positioned, if we were playing with a spare defender he should have been closer to goal. In reality we effectively played with 6 defenders as Coen was not in the defense for the first half at least, and then was mysteriously substituted at the half. Taking off one of our paciest players against a team based on pace??

Yes, our workrate was poor all over the field but our tactics were abysmal.

Nagarric,
    A spare man is a sweeper.look at the two clips i mentioned. very similar ball played in both.Clare got back Galway did not.
    Secondly if Clare lined out in an orthodox formation they would have still won given Limerick's lack of hunger for battle.

Nagarric,
    A spare man is a sweeper.look at the two clips i mentioned. very similar ball played in both.Clare got back Galway did not.
    Secondly if Clare lined out in an orthodox formation they would have still won given Limerick's lack of hunger for battle.

I don't want to argue this one to death but look at where Donnellan was positioned versus ourselves and Limerick yesterday, and look where Grealish was positioned versus Clare. An effective sweeper plays across the full back line as Coen did last year and Donnellan has done for the past two games. Either Grealish did not know how to play the role or was instructed to play further out.

Hunger wasn't Limerick's problem yesterday, they were a bag of nerves, probably because of being hyped in Limerick for 5 weeks. Clare were relaxed which is a massive advantage in hurling.

Nagarric,
    Its all in the top 4 inches,Galway believed in 2012 and Clare are believing in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Are Galway going to grant us a replay ? ;)

How is it not competitive? Kilkenny and Dublin have both won it in recent years. If you put Galway in there, you have 3 competitive teams. Not too different from senior at the moment.

Kilkenny are the only county who consistently turn out competitive teams, the rest come in dribs and drabs.
    If we were in Leinster we'd make the final 9 years out of 10 which would put us into a 1/4 final either way.
    Any of our teams who won the AI over the past 15years bar a freak game would still have gotten out of Leinster.

Munster is a different story though.

Obviously different considering ye get a second chance 100%, but just look at how we've been at senior since 2000 and how many years have we failed to make a 1/4 final?.

I disagree with you here. I really think good tough matchs for 18 year olds is crucial to their development. Games improve players more than training ever does. The more competitive a game, the more it will improve a player. And in your late teens, you are at a pivotal time in your development as a player.

Not going to argue there, but my point is an extra 200minutes of minor county isn't going to make or break a young lads career.
    They're hurling far more at club level. The benefits they get will be got through club and county training. And for the lads who hit the legend heights that work is done alone(or if lucky enough with friends/family) in your spare time, you don't reach perfection without hours a week of dedication.
    Two or three extra games isn't going to turn a lad up a few notches in long term ability is what I was getting at.
    We're still getting the experience in Croke Park and playing the better teams at the grade, that's the most important thing.
    Why on earth would a straight route to an AI q/f be preferable to playing in Leinster? Yes sure, Its not Galway's fault that there is no other hurling county in Connacht at their level. However, the provincial system is skewed when it comes to hurling. Hurling in Galway is south Galway, attached to Munster and Leinster hurling areas. So it ABSOLUTELY makes sense that Galway compete in one of those provinces.

I do not see any valid argument for Galway not competing in Munster or Leinster.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it wouldn't kill them to enter.
    My point was only I think people blow it out of proportion. You hear lines like ''How many AI's would they really have won''.... the fact is we're still going into the crunch rounds against the top teams of the age grade, if anything we're at a disadvantage.
    If it was any easier we'd have 20+ senior's.
    If the team is good enough to beat two provincial winners coming in cold, then 9/10 they'll have walked over the weaker teams in Leinster.

My point was only too much is made out of it.
    Its all just excuses to try to justify the lack of senior success. We've never lacked ability in any grade, it's mainly been application and work rate.
    How many blocks and hooks did we see yesterday and compare it to the senior game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wonder are these lads any good?

BSELPfXIMAAfMHj.jpg:large

It's from The Alan Kerins Project in Zambia. :)

• Advertisement

Don't underestimate the influence of Fitzgibbon hurling. A good coach/mentor at this juncture can make a huge difference in a players career.

Not going to argue there, but my point is an extra 200minutes of minor county isn't going to make or break a young lads career.
    They're hurling far more at club level. The benefits they get will be got through club and county training. And for the lads who hit the legend heights that work is done alone(or if lucky enough with friends/family) in your spare time, you don't reach perfection without hours a week of dedication.
    Two or three extra games isn't going to turn a lad up a few notches in long term ability is what I was getting at.
    We're still getting the experience in Croke Park and playing the better teams at the grade, that's the most important thing.

I agree it wouldnt make or break him but I certainly think it would aid his development. Playing club matches where you are the main man doesnt develop a player at inter-county level.

I think those 2 or 3 extra games could actually be very crucial. When you only play 2/3 games, you are not building a team. players dont get the opportunity to push hard for a place in the way they should be allowed to (and a player on the team doesnt get the chance to work harder for his jersey). Do Galway even take part in a minor league?

Maybe I am over estimating its importance, but I really do not see any good reason for Galway to enter the championship at provincial level. I felt exactly the same as when the senior team did not play in Leinster

Rightwing wrote: »
    Are Galway going to grant us a replay ? ;)

In principal, I hope not. The context of the match has to be taken into account I feel. The incident happened in the early minutes, giving Limerick plenty of time to make amends for it, which they did as they moved into a 2-point lead shortly afterwards. Fair enough if it occurred in the dying minutes, then LK would have a much stronger case. I'm sure they would have been briefed / counselled at HT not to take any notice of the point / wide. In any event LK didn't lose the match, they drew it. Extra-time is a separate game in the GAA by their rules. Had Galway lost that game, could they have appealed the result on the grounds that faulty technology was being used at the time? Galway minors themselves have lost a couple of finals to KK due to harsh decisions given against them at crucial late stages.

This is not to be hard on a very good LK team led by a very gracious manager; it's not too often where you see two teams that are neck-and-neck all through a match with no inkling of who is going to triumph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Had Galway lost that game, could they have appealed the result on the grounds that faulty technology was being used at the time? Galway minors themselves have lost a couple of finals to KK due to harsh decisions given against them at crucial late stages.

There is no grounds for appeal over a score not being given/given in error:

Rule 7.3 (gg)
    No decision made on foot of any Hearing shall affect the validity of any decision of the Referee with regard to the allowance or disallowance of a score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the story with the Galway hurling championship?

Went onto the website and all it did was confuse me. What stage are they at?

What's the story with the Galway hurling championship?

Senior & intermediate are at 1/4 final stage
    Went onto the website and all it did was confuse me.

Rather crap site isn't it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

antoobrien wrote: »
    Senior & intermediate are at 1/4 final stage

Rather crap site isn't it.:mad:

Cheers, you wouldn't by any chance have the pairings for the Senior?

Well it's a bit convuluted alright. Seems like its reasonably well updated, but they could do with a bit more clarity around the structure of the competitions and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Maybe I am over estimating its importance, but I really do not see any good reason for Galway to enter the championship at provincial level. I felt exactly the same as when the senior team did not play in Leinster

They haven't entered the provincial set up at minor, U 21 and Intermediate because the existing Leinster countires don't want them there as it would decrease their chances of coming out of the province.

antoobrien wrote: »
    There is no grounds for appeal over a score not being given/given in error:

Rule 7.3 (gg)

The rule you have quoted is outdated now though and not relevant here as it wasn't the referee who disallowed the score it was Hawkeye.

I do agree with the general consensus here though that a replay is not appropriate.

The Galway team to face Clare this Saturday eveing

Shane Mannion
    Paul Kileen
    John Hanbury
    Barry Keane
    Paul Hoban
    Daragh Burke
    Mathew Keating
    Adrian Tuohy
    Paul Claffey
    Jonathan Glynn
    Conor Cooney
    Thomas Flynn
    Padraig Brehony
    Cathal Mannion
    Jason Flynn

That's a big half-forward line. Will be interesting to see how Tom Flynn gets on. They've their work cut out for them unless Clare do what Galway U-21's did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2013/0822/469760-cccc-reject-limerick-haek-eye-appeal/

Limerick appeal thrown out for the moment. It seems they are going to go the whole way to the DRA with it though!!

Shane Mannion
    Paul Kileen
    John Hanbury
    Barry Keane
    Paul Hoban
    Daragh Burke
    Mathew Keating
    Adrian Tuohy
    Paul Claffey
    Jonathan Glynn
    Conor Cooney
    Thomas Flynn
    Padraig Brehony
    Cathal Mannion
    Jason Flynn

That's a big half-forward line. Will be interesting to see how Tom Flynn gets on. They've their work cut out for them unless Clare do what Galway U-21's did last year.

Big, but with the exception of the off-form Cooney, very limited hurling wise. Why are Brehony and Mannion in the FF line instead of further out the field where they usually play? Where is Padraig Mannion, Cathal's brother? Very good in that Minor team of 2 years ago. Ditto Sweeney of Loughrea? Backs don't look too bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Shane Mannion
    Paul Kileen
    John Hanbury
    Barry Keane
    Paul Hoban
    Daragh Burke
    Mathew Keating
    Adrian Tuohy
    Paul Claffey
    Jonathan Glynn
    Conor Cooney
    Thomas Flynn
    Padraig Brehony
    Cathal Mannion
    Jason Flynn

Would be slightly worried that Galway have picked quite a few big not very mobile lads again. Can see Clare just running around them and zipping the ball about between them like they are statues. Would fear a bit of a flaking in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

This should be an interesting game as it will indicate if there are any decent player coming through for Galway as Clare will be a good test. How good a hurler is Thomas Flynn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

One of the poorest u 21 teams I can remember. If that's the best u 21s in the county we''ll be spending another few years in the wilderness.

Was away for the weekend so couldn't see it and heard the headline spoiler on the radio so just read the report on RTE.

6 points in football would be an embarrassing enough score, 1 point every 10minutes with only 2 players scoring.
    Hard to know what to make of it, I guess we can forget about getting any of these forwards in for the short term.

How did Killeen do?. Probably the most important player in terms of senior next year. Had a great second half last year as a 17(?) year old sub if memory serves for correct.

Did anyone emerge with creditability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Was away for the weekend so couldn't see it and heard the headline spoiler on the radio so just read the report on RTE.

6 points in football would be an embarrassing enough score, 1 point every 10minutes with only 2 players scoring.
    Hard to know what to make of it, I guess we can forget about getting any of these forwards in for the short term.

How did Killeen do?. Probably the most important player in terms of senior next year. Had a great second half last year as a 17(?) year old sub if memory serves for correct.

Tuohy, midfield, easily outplayed Tony Kelly. Other than that no one. Antrim looked to have better hurlers than Galway.

Killeen was alright but when you're beaten like that his support wasn't there. Caught one lovely ball.

Lot of bad tonight but it's worrying how little Cooney has shown for Galway since Offaly last year. He's young but he made McInerney look amazing. He has the talent but club form hasn't translated. The team was built around him and that tactic was already beaten by the Clare seniors last month with Canning.

Flynn didn't do well. He's just as reluctant to take his own score with the small ball. It works for the footballers though as he can set up Conroy etc.

It shows you how bad Galway were when Cooney, despite his limitations, was one of Galway's better players; Cathal Mannion had his moments, as did Brehony, once he was moved back the field. Thought Keating at wing-back one of the betters triers, as was corner-back Barry Keane. Indeed FB line wasn't awfully bad, real problems further out the field. Why did it take management until 7 minutes from time to change a badly-beaten midfield? Flynn x 2 offered zilch while Glynn continues to look nothing like an inter-county player. If there's a silver lining in this, it's maybe that Galway hurling managers will now start to concentrate on picking players with actual hurling ability first, rather than big, strong but ungainly men. Future looks very bleak now though for a long time.

It shows you how bad Galway were when Cooney, despite his limitations, was one of Galway's better players; Cathal Mannion had his moments, as did Brehony, once he was moved back the field. Thought Keating at wing-back one of the betters triers, as was corner-back Barry Keane. Indeed FB line wasn't awfully bad, real problems further out the field. Why did it take management until 7 minutes from time to change a badly-beaten midfield? Flynn x 2 offered zilch while Glynn continues to look nothing like an inter-county player. If there's a silver lining in this, it's maybe that Galway hurling managers will now start to concentrate on picking players with actual hurling ability first, rather than big, strong but ungainly men. Future looks very bleak now though for a long time.

I thought Cooney was poor early on considering he is a senior regular, should have stuck those early chances over the bar. McInerney was absolutely destroying Mannion, at least Cooney kept him somewhat contained later. I don't understand why we didn't put Glynn on McInerney. Thought Jason Flynn looked lively and was unlucky with the goal chance, at least he has a bit of pace. Brehony was also lively but wasteful. Agree on Glynn and agree it is time to revert to fast skillful hurlers (something Galway have always had in spades), as the era of the rugby player with a stick is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Dreadful dreadful dreadful stuff - yet another contender for worst ever Galway team that ever lined out in a match. They all had the conditioning of a Junior C side in the 3rd week of December, whist the Clare lads looked like they were chiselled out of stone. Killeen made one good catch in front of me in the 1st half, did alright I suppose. What was shocking was the lack of interest & heart - a complete contrast to the minors last Sunday. What struck me also (both last night & last Sunday) is that the Clare players all seem to be hugely ambitious, all seemingly determined to extract every last reward from their talents. They all seem to be buying into the gameplan & training & structure that has been laid out for them. Can't remember when was the last time I could say that for Galway. The lack of interest on the pitch was matched off it, reckon there was no more than 200 from Galway there, about 4k from Clare. An old man said to me on the way out that "Gaway hurling's dead". Twas hard to argue with him.

• Advertisement

Looking at Saturdays evening game its obvious that there are quite large gaps in Galways hurling development plan.

We seemed to have gone with a model of having a senior panel of circa 30 players along with a 'development squad' with another 30 players or so. I am assuming that some of this U21 team were part of this Development squad for the seniors???

If so... Who is in charge of conditioning and speed work? We looked slow, under conditioned and void of a proper game plan.

Didn't the county board publish their plan a year or so ago, anyone have it???

Toplink wrote: »
    If so... Who is in charge of conditioning and speed work? We looked slow, under conditioned and void of a proper game plan.

Didn't the county board publish their plan a year or so ago, anyone have it???

I'm not 100% if the board released a plan, there was a task force set up that made recommendations for changes if thats what you meant?. Ollie Canning was on it.

I don't think the players size is an issue, if you're good enough... you're good enough(bit senseless but borrowed from the saying ''old enough- good enough'') you're physique has feck all to do with it more a willingness to put a shift in along with ability.
    We had smaller lads not that long ago and we were saying that they were too small and weak.
    Now they're too big and slow.
    The problem both times was a lack of will to put their bodies on the line and give it their all for 70mins, far too many tame exits which we've barely been the benefactor off.

The main issue either way is work rate

One thing that would make a huge difference would be to just have open trials, it's pointless asking lads down if they wouldn't come at their own accord.
    I don't see how it would hurt.
    You host 3 sessions around the county with a decent geographical spread.
    You put the word out there to the clubs and if any player can't make it to any session he contacts the management in advance and tells them he wants to be considered on the basis of a club game, management tell him the game they'll be attending X game and that'll be his trial(hardly any different to the current situation just the player is pre declaring)

Any player who doesn't bother his arse to put himself forward isn't considered, I'd bet of the 30 odd in this years panel at least one wouldn't have put himself forward if this was the method, no harm getting shot of lads like that and the ego's in the squad.

I'd also bet any lad who does put himself forward and attends the trials won't be short of determination and a willingness to wear the jersey.
    You want players who want to be there, we might end up lacking in ability but I'd be sure we wouldn't lack in fight which is all most of us ask for.
    An old man said to me on the way out that "Gaway hurling's dead". Twas hard to argue with him.

I get the sentiment but it's a bit of an exaggeration, we're in a minor final which is more than can be said for any county you'd say hurling is dead in. We played in a senior final only last year.
    Despite our obvious troubles we're still no Offaly or Wexford and still a long way from that mark.
    Not sure but off the top of my head but I'd say we've made the 1/4s most years since 2005 when I think most would agree the majority were ''poor'' years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think Galway GAA missed a chance to show true sportsmanship in not strongly advocating and offering Limerick minors a replay

petronius wrote: »
    I think Galway GAA missed a chance to show true sportsmanship in not strongly advocating and offering Limerick minors a replay

The game was a draw, the ref added on 1minute of injury time. Galway took the lead(or drew level with the Limerick point missing) with 70:50 left, the ball was pucked out and play continued.
    Galway put the ball dead again with a wide, well past the minute mark which should have signalled the end of the game as none of the one minute injury time was wasted on a sub or a fake injury.
    He let them puck the ball out twice with the minute added on having elapsed and then gave them a free from that resulting puck out which was suspect.

How often does a player foul an opponent from a puck out?, not often.... how often does a player foul when you're up by a point and the puck is only landing out at wing forward?, even less.

The game was a draw IMO as there was no justification for playing two minutes of real play when he indicated one minute, this was the same ref who added on nothing for the first half and blew it up almost to the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Again incidents and interpretation is different form a clear cut - Error which did effect the result. A point was scored and if officals had of acted correctly there would have been a different out come.

A replay would be a fair result - otherwise Galways place in the final is always going to be dubious.
    A replay offered by galway would be a shot in the arm for them and the GAA it would be a show of sportsmanship and would garner them respect (unlike Meath v Louth in the leinster football a few years back)

Other issues "professional" fouling, time wasting etc. should be dealt with ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

No way should there be a replay offered. Limerick had there chance to win it in extra time, an extra time that was handed to them by the ref. I think it is Limerick who are displaying a lack of sportsmanship.

petronius wrote: »
    A replay offered by galway would be a shot in the arm for them and the GAA it would be a show of sportsmanship and would garner them respect (unlike Meath v Louth in the leinster football a few years back)

There was no offer of a replay when Cork won an All-Ireland final in 1990 after a 65 wasn't awarded to Galway and Tomas Mulcachy got a score from the resulting puck out - a much more serious and costly intervention than a wide given in the first minute of the match.

All this talk of sportsmanship is rubbish, where is Limericks sportsmanship with the spurious appeal that can not succeed?

The introduction of Hawkeye has not changed the rules in any way, so why is this any more of an issue than the 65 not given to Galway in 1990, or the "point" scored from a sideline in a Leinster semi final against Offaly (a match that ended up in a replay in similar circumstances - a dodgy free to level 30 seconds after added time was up)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Is the official line from the GAA not still that they are happy with the technology giving the right decision, and that it was only a glitch in the graphic (which basically doesn't matter a jot and is only there for sponsership reasons). How are Galway supposed to go behind the GAA's back and offer a replay when the organisation is saying everything was fine? If anything, Galway were harddone by with the ref adding non existent added time

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

So 5 teams left in the senior football, and it looks like it will be hard to beat Corofin this year. Will the reply delay the championship by much ?

Replay scheduled for next Saturday evening, so I think they are still on track. Corofin haven't been themselves this year, running up big scores like that. Prior to the weekend Milltown looked to be their main / only challengers, but didn't play at all well yesterday evening apparently. Still think they will win the replay. In the other semi', I'd quietly fancy St. James' to beat Salthill - they have a bit of momentum with them at present I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement