Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

who is in intermediate championship now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    who is in intermediate championship now?

Claregalway play the winners of Clonbur and Menlough in the county final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Just want to say hard luck to our minors today.
    Ye can hold your heads up that was hurling they were just a bit (I dont know needy?) longer without winning one.
    Stick with it lads with your talent and our support we can have a lot of better days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Minors simply weren't good enough today.
    Waterford were the hungrier team.
    Simple as that
    Our defence was inadequate. Basic mistakes. Sloppy passing. Cheap turnovers. Soft frees & a soft goal.
    Anyways stay together lads. Learn from
    it. Better days will come

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Waterford's half back line were very strong, well done to them, they were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Waterford by far the better team but one thing is for sure Galway could do worse than getting that GK involved in the Senior set upo as soon as possible, I can't really remember the last top class keeper Galway had and this lad looks very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Waterford by far the better team but one thing is for sure Galway could do worse than getting that GK involved in the Senior set upo as soon as possible, I can't really remember the last top class keeper Galway had and this lad looks very very good.

This lad wasn't even meant to be number 1. First choice got injured before QF

No. 2 yesterday was minor goalie last year aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

The Galway Senior Keeper is the least of the Senior team's worries. Colm Callanan is the best keeper in the County and I have seen him pull off some stunning saves. Skehill is a liability and I don't know how many more chances he is going to get. Yes, he has a great puckout and is a good shot-stopper, but he is prone to some crazy errors.

It's a full-back and centre-back we need in the Senior setup. O'Donoghue looked good at full-back for the Minors.

Has Dáithi Burke ruled himself out of playing Senior for Galway? I really think he is the solution to one of those positions, given time to adapt to Senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Ladies / Gents,

surely its now time to go cap in hand to John Allen?? Three year contract.....seems to be brilliant at weeding out any infighting, and god knows thats been a main problem in Galway for years........

• Advertisement

CyberDave wrote: »
    The Galway Senior Keeper is the least of the Senior team's worries. Colm Callanan is the best keeper in the County and I have seen him pull off some stunning saves. Skehill is a liability and I don't know how many more chances he is going to get. Yes, he has a great puckout and is a good shot-stopper, but he is prone to some crazy errors.

It's a full-back and centre-back we need in the Senior setup. O'Donoghue looked good at full-back for the Minors.

Has Dáithi Burke ruled himself out of playing Senior for Galway? I really think he is the solution to one of those positions, given time to adapt to Senior level.

Completley agree re Skehill I have never seen him play even a club game without at least one brainfart, Callanan is a decent keeper but not outstanding ala Nash etc. that keeper on Sunday looked the real deal tbh and should be brought in as soon as possible obviously not to the starting 15 but the extended squad.

Agree 100% re. FB and CB from the Seniors its a real problem area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Completley agree re Skehill I have never seen him play even a club game without at least one brainfart, Callanan is a decent keeper but not outstanding ala Nash etc. that keeper on Sunday looked the real deal tbh and should be brought in as soon as possible obviously not to the starting 15 but the extended squad.

Niall Donohue should be given the 3 jersey. Nobody should wear that jersey only him. Hopefully now that Kenny has left the camp this will happen.

We do have a problem at CB alright. Throw Tannian in there for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Keeper was good on Sunday alright - positioning under trhe dropping ball was especially eye catching. I'd have a worry about his puckouts thou, none of them seemed to go much further that halfway, especially in the 1st half. The Waterford lad seemed to get much more distance in his. It's a critical part of a keepers makeup these days - I'd imagine that's why we've tolerated Skehills moments of lunancy for so long now.

Agree with others re 3 & 6 - these are the rocks on which we have perished for so long now. Niall Donodue & young O'Donoghue from last Sunday along with Paul Killeen should be coached over the next 12 months with a view getting one good fullback out of them, Daithi Burke is our only hope @ 6. Young Cooney looks a bit raw & slow, even if he does read the game very well. Shane Kavanagh wasn't good enough 5 or 6 years ago, whilst Tony Óg is prone to too many errors. Tannian is not a option there - too slow for an IC centre back.

Keeper was good on Sunday alright - positioning under trhe dropping ball was especially eye catching. I'd have a worry about his puckouts thou, none of them seemed to go much further that halfway, especially in the 1st half. The Waterford lad seemed to get much more distance in his. It's a critical part of a keepers makeup these days - I'd imagine that's why we've tolerated Skehills moments of lunancy for so long now.

His puckouts were weak, and he didn't actually take some of them. But I'm sure thats something that can be worked on, conditioning and strenght etc. and by putting more emphasis on the trajectory and positioning of the puck out rather than the distance, take Brendan Cummins as the perfect example of the opposite, he is a record winning Poc Fada champion and is constantly berated and was even droped(wrongly in fairness) over his puckouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Funny, a man I know who coaches a lot of young hurlers in the county thought before last Sunday that the goalie was weak and liable to let in soft goals. maybe he just had a good day?

MfMan wrote: »
    Funny, a man I know who coaches a lot of young hurlers in the county thought before last Sunday that the goalie was weak and liable to let in soft goals. maybe he just had a good day?

Its possible I guess and I admit that I have only seen him this year with the minors, but he certainly looked the real deal to me, he's positioning, reflexes and ability to not only make the save but to ensure he pushed the ball away from the danger area tend not to happen by accident, it will be interesting to see what the future brings for him. It also has to be said alot of guys involved with coaching younger lads etc can be very biased or set in their views and not recognise a player on the upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

CyberDave wrote: »

The word is that Burke wanted to play with the football U21s this year, but the hurling management didn't want that if he was going to play with the hurlers. So Burke stayed off a panel he would have probably gotten screwed over on anyways.

Well he was initially second choice keeper. Fahy from Tynagh got injured so he got his chance

I thought they'd put Maidhc O'Conghaile (corner back sunday, goalie last year) between the sticks but they put faith in Tuohy, rightly so in retrospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Congrats to the Camogie team and management of their fine victories. They have had to wait a long time to get over the line in the senior. The match was dour but Galway dug it out. Hope they get a good homecoming reception tomorrow evening.

Corofin v Salthill/Knocknacarra in the Club final. Looking at Corofin this evening they were very comfortable even with 14 players. Salthill have sort of stumbled into the final grinding out victories despite looking very average, similar to Killererin a few years ago. You'd have to fancy Corofin. Unfortunately it won't be a new name on the cup anyway.

In the hurling Beagh beating Turloughmore was a surprise, saw Beagh in the group stage and they weren't great, didn't see that one coming but fair play to them, they are a small club but they keep it going every year. The other 3 games early and late next Sunday, mightn't be as predictable as they first appear. Ardrahan in particular may make life difficult for Portumna.

Congrats to the women! Hard fought wins.

Fair play to Beagh. Big disappointment for Turlough, they expected to go all the way this year but they simply don't have the forward to get the required scores.

Well done to the ladies, a tough game, very little quality in all honesty. Hopefully they can go again next year.

Very disappointing for Turlough, I was hoping they would go at least a step further this year.

• Advertisement

GS11 wrote: »
    Well done to the ladies, a tough game, very little quality in all honesty. Hopefully they can go again next year.

Very disappointing for Turlough, I was hoping they would go at least a step further this year.
    Pig of a day in Croker yesterday, reckon that had a lot to do with it being such a poor game. I know the intermediate game was better, but the wind really picked up between the 2 games. Watched it last night when I got home - it looked like the camera was going to blow away at one stage. That team played a lot better in previous finals in the past & lost, so they won't mind winning one ugly. Our hurlers could learn a lot from them in terms of character, guts & honesty. I've seen that team on a number of occasions over the past 5 or 6 years, and their togetherness (even in defeat) is a credit to them all.

Very proud to be a Galwayman walking out of Croker yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Whatever's been done in Connacht underage is working. Mayo won the AI minor there, and Galway were incredible unlucky to be beaten by them in Extra time having had home advantage robbed from them. Galway win the u21, and Roscommon have been strong at both levels in recent years. If Mayo win the senior, then Connacht will have won the Minor, U21, Senior and club All Irelands. Weakest province???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Loughrea despite having Maher sent off again in the closing stages held on to win by a point, they can count themselves lucky in what was a terrible game for the neutral, Padraig Pearses were made to rue all the wides they tallied during the game.

In the other game Thomas's defeated Castlegar with a goal and point scored in injury time to win by four points, Cashel kept in it by the dead ball accuracy of Farragher and the lively Kevin Brady who had a stromer in the full forward line. But ultimately Thomas's experience carried them through and although Richie Murray had to retire early due to injury it was left to the likes of David and Kenneth Burke and co to carry them through. They were given a major scare and cashel were much improved on the 17 point drubbing they received in the corresponding future last season but McIntyre's charges will be left asking themselves what else they needed to achieve victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Whatever's been done in Connacht underage is working. Mayo won the AI minor there, and Galway were incredible unlucky to be beaten by them in Extra time having had home advantage robbed from them. Galway win the u21, and Roscommon have been strong at both levels in recent years. If Mayo win the senior, then Connacht will have won the Minor, U21, Senior and club All Irelands. Weakest province???

Yeah was glad for there minors they won it in style, not sure how I feel about the senior final though. They have always been our main rivals (in my lifetime anyway) but I have no love for the dubs, 83 will never be forgotten.
    Its a pity for the likes of Alan Dillon and Andy Moran who are both deserving candidates for at least one all Ireland medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Was the draw for the semi's in the hurling (senior) done yet, if they were who's facing who?

TBP wrote: »
    Was the draw for the semi's in the hurling (senior) done yet, if they were who's facing who?
    Beagh v Loughrea
    Portumna v St Thomas's

Double header in Athenry on Sunday week (Oct 6th), as far as I know.

Loughrea despite having Maher sent off again in the closing stages held on to win by a point, they can count themselves lucky in what was a terrible game for the neutral, Padraig Pearses were made to rue all the wides they tallied during the game.

In the other game Thomas's defeated Castlegar with a goal and point scored in injury time to win by four points, Cashel kept in it by the dead ball accuracy of Farragher and the lively Kevin Brady who had a stromer in the full forward line. But ultimately Thomas's experience carried them through and although Richie Murray had to retire early due to injury it was left to the likes of David and Kenneth Burke and co to carry them through. They were given a major scare and cashel were much improved on the 17 point drubbing they received in the corresponding future last season but McIntyre's charges will be left asking themselves what else they needed to achieve victory.

Should he be recalled to the seniors for his free taking, he'll always pop a couple over from play as well.

So the senior hurling is over for another year.

It's a tad different this winter as we don't have the luxury of saying ''ah sure at least KK won it''.
    I can't remember a year in recent memory feeling so bitter after the final.

That was our AI won yesterday, as much of a shambles as we were against Clare we won the second half. Imagine getting that Cork side in a final for the holy grail, you couldn't ask for much more to bridge a long gap.

I also had the misfortune of spending the night down Clare on a trip with the other half, I must have been the most depressed man in the county.
    A massive feeling of ''Q skipping'', these are the same two counties who competed in a relegation final earlier this year.

I read in the paper last week that JC missed 4 free's and a penalty for Portumna.
    The writing has been on the wall in that regard for a year now and the first action for 2014 should be to remove him from free taking duties.... has there ever been a player who's dropped so low in that regard?.
    He used to be a machine from placed balls, whereas since the drawn AI he's missed far too many easy free's to even be considered.
    He missed some crucial free's against Dublin and Clare, which might have sent the games down a different path.

I hope every Galway player watched that game yesterday and felt embarrassed about their performances this year. This years AI was there for the taking but due to petty squabbling and poor management we let Clare jump ahead of us in the pecking order.
    The only player I feel genuinely sorry for is Damien Hayes. There's no questioning his work rate and commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Clare (and Cork to a lesser degree) proved this year that leaving the older players behind and developing the youth is the only way to progress.

Farragher didn't score from play and barely contributed from open play against Thomas' - how would he or any other older players keep up with a backline like Clare's who are very strong, mobile, tackle brilliantly and give away very few frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

I also had the misfortune of spending the night down Clare on a trip with the other half, I must have been the most depressed man in the county.
    A massive feeling of ''Q skipping'', these are the same two counties who competed in a relegation final earlier this year.

The good news is that it shows a county can come from a long way back and win the AI, (actually, a bit like ourselves last year). The bad news is that we've been a thorough, complete shambles since the drawn match last year that there was no way on God's earth we would have won this year. The only argument I can see for giving Cunningham another year is that charges can't then be laid against us that we change managers too often. In all other respects a new start with a new squad must be made (again).

Almost heresy I know, but it may be no harm to give someone else a chance at the Minor manager's job also; Mattie Murphy is almost like a comfort blanket at this stage whereas it may be beneficial to jolt that section out of it's rut. For all our supposed underage success we have been found wanting against Tipp and KK in our most recent meetings going back a few years.

JC will be alright and will regain his mojo *if* that happy day ever comes when he is surrounded by anything like county class material.

Final word; if the Hurling Board had balls, real balls, and showed that they were serious about changing things, start off by putting the Portumna / Thomas' match on first next week and bring in the best ref from *outside* the county they can find. Show that they mean business by tolerating no rubbish or tribalism in this clash.

• Advertisement

It's a tad different this winter as we don't have the luxury of saying ''ah sure at least KK won it''.

That was our AI won yesterday, as much of a shambles as we were against Clare we won the second half. Imagine getting that Cork side in a final for the holy grail, you couldn't ask for much more to bridge a long gap.

I read in the paper last week that JC missed 4 free's and a penalty for Portumna.
    The writing has been on the wall in that regard for a year now and the first action for 2014 should be to remove him from free taking duties.... has there ever been a player who's dropped so low in that regard?.
    He used to be a machine from placed balls, whereas since the drawn AI he's missed far too many easy free's to even be considered.
    He missed some crucial free's against Dublin and Clare, which might have sent the games down a different path.

I hope every Galway player watched that game yesterday and felt embarrassed about their performances this year. This years AI was there for the taking but due to petty squabbling and poor management we let Clare jump ahead of us in the pecking order.
    The only player I feel genuinely sorry for is Damien Hayes. There's no questioning his work rate and commitment.

Always had great time for Clare and I'm delighted for them but once again it showcases what a mess Galway have made of the talent we have had in the last couple of decades and more. Like you I found this one hard to take.

A couple of years ago with a poor side we had Clare beaten in 15 minutes. Last year the excuse was made that we had lots of young players and they'd learn, Clare threw that theory out the window, if you have the hurlers with belief and determination you can do it. At minor we beat Clare, even if it was fortunate it shows how far we have slipped.

Even players regarded as good prospects a couple of years back are now nearly on the scrapheap. I remember Padraig Brehony lighting up a minor final in 2011 but now he looks to be another lost cause. Shane Moloney didn't even make the starting team on a very poor u21 team.

We missed the boat in 2012 (the first day) but since then we have been on a major downward spiral in a year where the All-Ireland was extremely open it was hard to take how pathetically we performed.

A team with any degree of resilience would have come back stronger and more determined the following year but we came back thinking we had it all sorted and only needed to find another player or two when in reality a lot of players were nowhere near 2012 form and wholesale changes were needed even if just to freshen up the team. Our squad isn't hectic but like most counties in fairness too much emphasis was placed on the league resulting in the same underperforming / poor players playing every week in the hope things would come right.

When you consider that Wexford who have been dire in recent years took Dublin to a replay and Clare to extra time it really shows you how awful Galway were. The writing was on the wall months before the pathetic capitulations to Dublin and Clare.

What has happened this year should be a clear indication that the league is very much secondary. There is no point saying we need to start everything from scratch again, however key changes are needed and its the same old questions of nailing down the key positions. Full back was isolated and found out all last year but never changed. Centre back was a pass the parcel job. No-one nailed down centre forward and Canning spent most of the time rambling aimlessly and missing handy frees. In midfield Tannian wasn't at the races and the decision to start James Regan against Dublin has to go down as absolutely baffling.

Nothing will be expected of Galway next year so we'll probably end up in another All-Ireland final! Longer term there are major issues to deal with if Galway are to keep pace with even the 2nd tier of counties. Clare, Waterford, Limerick, Dublin, Wexford even Laois and Carlow are making huge strides at underage and getting proper systems in place. If we don't get our act together we'll slip even further down the ladder.

The main thing that has to change is the mentality of the Galway players. The hurlers in Galway are as good as most teams if the attitude is right but Galway are mentally weak, we have no real leaders and lads just don't bust a gut for the county team. They are happy to take the plaudits when things go well and the status that goes with it.

As for Portumna v Thomas' at the weekend, there was a time I'd be looking forward to such a game but honestly I couldn't give a toss. If an All-Ireland club is the height of ambition for lads they have no place on the county team. Strong club rivalry is healthy as long as its all left at the gate at full time.

As for Portumna v Thomas' at the weekend, there was a time I'd be looking forward to such a game but honestly I couldn't give a toss. If an All-Ireland club is the height of ambition for lads they have no place on the county team. Strong club rivalry is healthy as long as its all left at the gate at full time.

Thats a key point. Leave those tussles on the pitch.

Our "progress" this year is being reviewed by the delegates in Wednesday night. Cunningham is anxious to stay.

Will he keep Helebert? Who is going to replace Kenny?

A voice is needed in the dressing room who will instill some discipline in the team. Someone to tell Canning to stop taking meaningless sidelines balls, someone to stand up to personality clashes between different clubs...

Someone to cut through the bullsh!t.

JC will be alright and will regain his mojo *if* that happy day ever comes when he is surrounded by anything like county class material.

His contributions from play have been pretty consistent but his free taking has just gone to a embarrassing level for a player who was hitting them like Colin Ryan(was the past few games) for years.

I think letting him continue to take them resulted in him fading out of the Clare match, but apart from that his in play performances have been fine.

Even players regarded as good prospects a couple of years back are now nearly on the scrapheap. I remember Padraig Brehony lighting up a minor final in 2011 but now he looks to be another lost cause. Shane Moloney didn't even make the starting team on a very poor u21 team.

I really don't think this is unique to Galway, but it's highlighted more due to the drought at senior.

Realistically a players progression is based on their own work ethic. In the professional game, lads are committed by contract so their progression is almost guaranteed to a certain degree.
    Since the GAA can't offer contracts, the onus is on the player to progress themselves so putting those extra hours in alone and avoiding the drink in college become a personal choice.

Its probably not too late for Brehony and his inclusion in the senior panel is a good omen, but Moloney's main asset was his free taking which is easily covered at senior.

On Cunningham, I think it would be a shock if he left by now.
    Nearly October now so chances are he's staying on.
    I wouldn't give him another year tbh, even if you overlooked the chopping and changing during the league, the fact he stood there and let Canning continue to miss in that Clare game was the last straw for me. You'd think that's a straightforward decision to make, given previous form and what was on the line.
    The whole ''change manager too much'' wouldn't bother me tbh. You judge on individual performances and if we keep getting poor returns then we should keep turning managers over. The guys coming further down the line shouldn't be allowed extra grace because of a continuing trend.

Bottom line is that most of our players don't really give a toss about winning an All-Ireland - if they get a medal great, if not no loss. The co board officials are more interested in clinging onto power than driving hurling on & delivering success. The way they capitulated this year was shameful alright, but sadly not too many of us who have followed them for years were too surprised. Same old crap about not driving on from one moderately successful year (the reality of 2012 was that they caught kk on the hop in the Leinster final when no one expected much from them. When they had a chance to finish off an ageing kk side in the 2nd half of the drawn game they displayed a big collective yellow streak & reverted to type by not taking personal responsibility. The farce of picking Skehill for the 2nd day summed up where mgmt heads were). As for the semis next Sunday, I have to agree with a previous poster in that I couldn't give a toss about them. It's got to a stage now where I can honestly say I'm not going to bother going, nor will I go to the county final. I reckon 81 was the last one I missed. Also if u pressed me now I would say I can't see myself going to follow this bunch of players in league/c'ship in 14 - the way I look at it is why should I care if nobody else does? The talent at u14/16 level is there, but a massive mismanagement from there on, & an overinflated sense of their own importance by successful minors has resulted in Galway hurling becoming a laughing stock for 20+ years. Another good point made previously is the one about Mattie - it could be argued that he's blocking managerial development by staying on so long. I also feel that he coached them to win minors, as opposed to preparing them for senior. I'd actually argue it's more beneficial to lose minor finals - it toughens up young lads. Look at Clare in '10 & '11 ( lost a final & semi in heartbreaking fashion), or Dublin football minors in '11. Our lads win a few minors & go on the beer afterwards for a few years. Sure Canning went on strike over a co final for '07 - imagine that! I can't figure Davy tolerating that. Until as such time as Galway as a hurling county makes a conscious effort to make winning a senior all Ireland the number one priority above all other side issues (clubs, co board positions, etc), we can forget about it. We might as well be chasing after moonbeams.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

"our AI" Will you cop yourself on boy.
    As for facing "that Cork side"thay Cork team has more team spirit in the big toes than most Galway teams and thats the real reason why most Galway senior teams win nothing.

ted2767 wrote: »

"our AI" Will you cop yourself on boy.
    As for facing "that Cork side"thay Cork team has more team spirit in the big toes than most Galway teams and thats the real reason why most Galway senior teams win nothing.

Stop being so delicate, that's a poor Cork side and what I say or don't say isn't going to change that.
    Wouldn't bat an eye lid if both of those teams were gone before the 1/4 final next season and that has nothing to do with Galway, it's just how it is.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better I think all four teams who played the semis were poor teams(their Champ/League records the past few years back this up) the only reason I mentioned Cork specifically was since they lost, would have said Clare if it was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Stop being so delicate, that's a poor Cork side and what I say or don't say isn't going to change that.
    Wouldn't bat an eye lid if both of those teams were gone before the 1/4 final next season and that has nothing to do with Galway, it's just how it is.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better I think all four teams who played the semis were poor teams(their Champ/League records the past few years back this up) the only reason I mentioned Cork specifically was since they lost, would have said Clare if it was them.

Jesus fella you're deluded.
    That Clare team will be around for a good while and will win a lot more than the current Galway team.
    As for Cork I agree that it's not the best Cork team in fact nowhere near it.
    What they have in spades is charachter and a team ethic which is nearly always absent in Galway teams.

There certainly was an All Ireland there for the taking this year alright

Clare showing how it's now essentially a young mans game- Galway under 21's from what I seen v Clare not one of them is up to senior standard

A lot of that galway team would have beaten a Clare side with Tony Kelly, Shane O'Connell, Morey, Galvin and Cunningham at minor level 11. None of that Galway minor All Ireland winning team has really made the step up you could say. Breheny and Maloney looked world beaters back then

You could argue Glynn but he did nothing this year for me after a great year as impact sub last year. Killeen will be a future star I think though

The point above is well made though. I'd agree that Clare will probably be around for a few years to come (even if everyone will be gunning for them next year and Tipp in 2011 is a warning sign that the future doesn't automatically go as expected) and it doesn't take a genius to see they'll win more than Galway but the fact a poor Cork side came within poor use of a sideline cut and davy (fergie) time of snatching an All-Ireland where they were a long way 2nd best captures perfectly why Cork will be back in the winning enclosure a long time before Galway will.

None of those lads have won a tap at underage level but they have the right mentality when it comes to senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

County board clearout, overloaded with freeloaders

County board clearout, overloaded with freeloaders

You'll be putting your name forward for one of the voluntary positions that takes as much and more time as any full time job then I assume?? Always easy to blame the officals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lohans sister in law

http://balls.ie/gaa/teammates-want-murder/

This is pretty good. Galway GAA rife with these lads this year maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

You'll be putting your name forward for one of the voluntary positions that takes as much and more time as any full time job then I assume?? Always easy to blame the officals.

There are plenty people prepared to do so and yes I would if it wasn't such a closed shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

teednab-el wrote: »
    Poor Galway.... I cant stop smiling write now. All Ireland Finalists last year and sent out of the quarters this year by the Banner.

I bet you're not smiling after your team got stuffed on Saturday hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Poor lad is probably hooked on heroin by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Who would have thought the footballers would be in better nick than hurlers by end of summer???

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Who would have thought the footballers would be in better nick than hurlers by end of summer???

Are they? Hard to call I guess.

Footballers had a good win against an average Armagh team but still div 2 in fairness, and put it up to Cork, wouldn't say they're in much better nick though. Hurlers did lose to eventual AI champs and the footballers did have a few shockers too

I'd say it was a more positive year for the footballers perhaps but pound for pound the hurlers have a far better chance of winning anything next year...

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Are they? Hard to call I guess.

Footballers had a good win against an average Armagh team but still div 2 in fairness, and put it up to Cork, wouldn't say they're in much better nick though. Hurlers did lose to eventual AI champs and the footballers did have a few shockers too

I'd say it was a more positive year for the footballers perhaps but pound for pound the hurlers have a far better chance of winning anything next year...

When all is said and done the hurlers wont be that far off the mark next year. I would suggest that a few fresh voices in the dressing room should help CLEAR THE AIR and iron out a few petty issues.

The biggest thing they are missing appears to be belief in themselves and their teammates when the heat gets turned up in a game.

Toplink wrote: »
    When all is said and done the hurlers wont be that far off the mark next year. I would suggest that a few fresh voices in the dressing room should help CLEAR THE AIR and iron out a few petty issues.

The biggest thing they are missing appears to be belief in themselves and their teammates when the heat gets turned up in a game.

Agree. had they beaten Clare for example who's to say they couldn't have gone on to win it! All hypothetical of course but Limerick have an unfortunate tendency not to turn up on the big day and Galway have had good joy against Cork of recent

The draw tonight could be interesting. Maybe need a bigger test than Laois before a Leinster final!

A few good champ wins under their belt and that belief will start to build. I wouldn't rule ye out of the AI next year by any stretch.

In other news I can't wait for the semis this weekend. I think Portumna will sneak it and Lrea probably have too much experience but Beagh do have a serious all round side and great belief

Toplink wrote: »

W are missing a lot, forwards that can score, we always seemed to have them one time, simple handpassing and support play rather than every player doing it on his own.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement