Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Overly pessimistic there's a reason we're 1/7 with the bookies. I expect us to win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hard to be optimistic when we're at such a low ebb. Even if we get past London, I'd be surprised if we made a Connacht Final. That starting 15 hardly inspires confidence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Hard to be optimistic when we're at such a low ebb. Even if we get past London, I'd be surprised if we made a Connacht Final. That starting 15 hardly inspires confidence either.
    It's a pretty chronic 15 alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

h2005 wrote: »
    It's a pretty chronic 15 alright.

There are some talented players there but I don't see a lot of leadership if things are tight. No Meehan, Conroy, Armstrong and Sice from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can only hope Galway's performance is better than that absolute shambolic attempt at a Jim White impersonation. Despise GBFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Am prepared to give them a chance. We all know that we are not going to win an AI or indeed beat Mayo, but they are a young team. Lots of the successful U21 teams of the last few years. Throw them in there and get on with it !

London games are a hiding to nothing, you can't win even when you do.

5 Galway men on the London team.
    London (SF v Galway): Adrian Faherty; Philip Butler, Stephen Curran, Donnacha McCarthy; Seamus Hannon, Tony Gaughan, Michael Walsh; Mark Gottsche, Martin Carroll; Greg Crowley, Damian Dunleavy, Cathal O'Neill; Eoin O'Neill, Paul Geraghty, Joe Feeney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Galway by 12 points and do well after that.
    I support them anyway, if it falls apart, **** it we see it loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You get the impression that it's a horrible time for Galway to be going out to Ruslip. With Galway on a poor run and London reaching the Connacht Final last year.

You'd still have to fancy Galway though by a couple of points at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think people are looking into the fact london got to the connacht final last year, they are still a fairly poor side regardless of what happened last year, sligo were in disarray at the time , leitrim were hit with injuries and lost a few players to emigration , they are no better then what they were 2 years ago or 10 years ago

clare went over there in February or early march and beat them comfortably and probably played there worst game of the campaign, i dont care how bad you say galway football has gone but if they dont win by a double figure margin i would be shocked

PS. i dont expect anyone to sit through and watch the full 70mins as i did ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

i think people are looking into the fact london got to the connacht final last year, they are still a fairly poor side regardless of what happened last year, sligo were in disarray at the time , leitrim were hit with injuries and lost a few players to emigration , they are no better then what they were 2 years ago or 10 years ago

clare went over there in February or early march and beat them comfortably and probably played there worst game of the campaign, i dont care how bad you say galway football has gone but if they dont win by a double figure margin i would be shocked

Are they poor though? Looking at those Galway players on the London team, you could make a good case for Faherty, Dunleavy, Gottsche, Geraghty to be still on the Galway panel if they were in Galway. I certainly wouldnt rate the Galway players much higher than those guys. I guess you would hope that Galway should have better training / be better prepared than London. But from what I know of the London Galway players, I do not see a major gap in quality here.

Exciting to see Shane Walsh getting a start though. He is a very good prospect. Not sure about Hoare at number 14; whenever I saw him play, he has been more effective in half forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

London have never performed in the league though, it hasn't stopped them being competitive to an extent in the championship of late. On paper that does look like a London team that could give Galway a game but after last year they've well and truly lost the element of surprise that they had.

If you look at London's last three Connacht championship games at Ruislip it is clear that they have been competitive for a few years there at this stage. Mayo and Leitrim scraped out in one piece before Sligo got caught - and then London traveled to Ireland and picked off Leitrim as well. Galway are better than Sligo and Leitrim but possibly not that much better.

I think as long as Galway go in with the right attitude they should get the job done with a few points to spare. I don't see a hammering on the cards. The bookies spread of five or six points seems about right. Any complacency from them though and they could find themselves dragged into a scrap - Galway's record of closing out tight games is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Wasn't really worried until I saw Conroy is out. If it wasn't for Conroy we wouldn't have pulled through against Waterford last year. We also had Meehan at that stage.

The main thing in Galway's favour is the old cliche of forewarned is forearmed. If Galway lost it can't be a case they didn't take it seriously enough, its that they won't have been good enough. As Cosmo Kramer says above, London have never been a great league team but have delivered the last few years in championship.

Seriously worried about the lack of any real leaders in the team but its hard to know where football in the county can go if we lose this one. Galway by 6-8 points I hope!

London have never performed in the league though, it hasn't stopped them being competitive to an extent in the championship of late. On paper that does look like a London team that could give Galway a game but after last year they've well and truly lost the element of surprise that they had.

If you look at London's last three Connacht championship games at Ruislip it is clear that they have been competitive for a few years there at this stage. Mayo and Leitrim scraped out in one piece before Sligo got caught - and then London traveled to Ireland and picked off Leitrim as well. Galway are better than Sligo and Leitrim but possibly not that much better.

I think as long as Galway go in with the right attitude they should get the job done with a few points to spare. I don't see a hammering on the cards. The bookies spread of five or six points seems about right. Any complacency from them though and they could find themselves dragged into a scrap - Galway's record of closing out tight games is not good.

infairness i saw there games against leitrim (the replay) mayo and cavan last year in the championship and they were no better then what i saw from them in the league , the second game against leitrim they were wining by 14 or 15 points at half time and only won by 1 point

i agree gottche is a quality player along with lorcan mulvey and cathel mcarron is one of the best wing backs in the game if his head is screwed on but i cant see galway in any danger in west london today

Galway close the 5 point handicap within 2/3 mins in London.

Another 2/3 misses as well.

I thought the handicap was ridiculously low.

Mayo could have beat London by 30+ last year.

Granted Mayo did beat Galway by 17(odd) last season but there was also a narrow loss to Cork to end the year.

London second bottom as well in D4.

In relation to the poster who said the Galway players in the London team could make the Galway team.
    They were all tried and tested when we were losing qualifiers to Westmeath, Antrim and Wexford.

None of them ever did enough to warrant inclusion in what was a seriously poor team.
    You could possibly argue last year was the best year since 2008 with a win against Armagh and good run against Cork.
    So in that regard they'd be in further down the pecking order if available now.

I don't think Mayo are as far ahead of Galway as last seasons result.
    They're better, no doubt and further ahead then they were in those poor years listed above but it's not as much as the result.
    Just as much as Donegal, while obviously gone back aren't a similar margin behind Mayo.

1-5 to 0-0 with 5 wides.

Paddy Power has pushed the handicap out to a more realistic 12 point spread now.

A good win here and we can start to dream about what is now a rare appearance in the Connacht Final.

Sligo have regressed massively over the past few years, really should be putting them away as well if there's a good performance today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, Galway much too good here. London needed a good start given how they tied up in the second half of games last year. Definitely expected more from them, thought they would fly out of the blocks but Galway haven't given them a chance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No fairy tale for London this year i think all of Galway scores have come from underage All Ireland winning forwards and thats the gulf in class.

Job done a lot more comprehensively than I thought it would. Sounded like Galway should have added another few goals if anything. Can't read much into it but onwards to Sligo. That game will determine Galway's season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It finished London 0-7 Galway 3-17. Shane Walsh was given man of the match on Galway bay fm scored 1-5. Play Sligo away now and Galway have only beaten Sligo once in their last five championship games and all those times Sligo were div 3 level as they are now.

• Advertisement

Play Sligo away now and Galway have only beaten Sligo once in their last five championship games and all those times Sligo were div 3 level as they are now.

I wouldn't worry too much about that tbh.

Even since the 2012 game, there's only 6 players who started today who played that game.
    Armstrong would be 7 had he started, but that's still 8 changes.

Sligo have gone back even further since then.

I think after putting London away in only a few minutes, they're set up to at least make the Connacht final now.
    Mayo will probably take it again but I'd see it being a lot closer than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

I wouldn't worry too much about that tbh.

Even since the 2012 game, there's only 6 players who started today who played that game.
    Armstrong would be 7 had he started, but that's still 8 changes.

Sligo have gone back even further since then.

I think after putting London away in only a few minutes, they're set up to at least make the Connacht final now.
    Mayo will probably take it again but I'd see it being a lot closer than last year.

I think Armstrong shouldn't start the next day, doesn't add anything, all he does is holds up the ball. Knowing Mullholland though he will start.

sonnky wrote: »
    I think Armstrong shouldn't start the next day, doesn't add anything, all he does is holds up the ball. Knowing Mullholland though he will start.

I agree.

I don't think he's done enough over the years to warrant a straight inclusion coming off an injury when the team has performed as well as expected.
    After Hanley and Bradshaw most of the others are in the bracket where they'd need to fight for a jersey off the bench after a win.

I think Mulholland has hindered the team the past year.

We were so naive in that Cork game, when it was time to close up shop and hold the 4/5 point lead in the final few minutes, we were carved open by a straight line run from half forward for the goal.
    Can't remember who it was that ran through for the shot, but he was even able to gather his own rebound off the post, then fist it across for a tap in.

The same against Mayo, some of the goals were pathetic with massive gaps to just run through unchallenged.
    Look like a team that didn't work on any kind of system either defensively or attacking with players running into each others space on attack and handpassing to players about to be bottled up.

It's year 3 for him now so at least he'll either have a good year and hold the position or someone else comes in and I'd at least expect to see a slight increase in performances along the lines of Cavan(who a lot of this team beat in the U21).

The players available are better than a few years ago IMO.
    Not top tier on what they've shown thus far but certainly should be capable of being back around 8-10, making quarter finals and at least rattling a few cages if things click on the day.

May just need someone with a defined system to come in and guide them.

I'm a big Army supporter but he did have a shocking year so far after probably his best year at senior intercounty.

Delighted for the lads. Missing their best 3 (Meehan, Sice and Conroy) for various reasons. Guys like Walsh and Martin stepped up and there wasn't the hemorrhaging of scores typically associated with these lads in lull periods. I know it's London but the fact Galway blew them out of the water within 5 minutes through Walsh, Martin and Cummins is impressive. Hoare sounded like he had a strong showing similar to Kavanagh and Bradshaw.

A win like this would mean little to Mayo but it was vital for this young side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Armstrong hasn't brought his underage or club form to senior county level. Moore,Conroy are two players that should start the next day.

Sligo haven't gone back too far. In 2012 they finished on 8 points in div 3 compared to this year 6 points. Saying all that Galway are due a win against Sligo and i think they will get it this year.

I agree.

I don't think he's done enough over the years to warrant a straight inclusion coming off an injury when the team has performed as well as expected.
    After Hanley and Bradshaw most of the others are in the bracket where they'd need to fight for a jersey off the bench after a win.

I think Mulholland has hindered the team the past year.

We were so naive in that Cork game, when it was time to close up shop and hold the 4/5 point lead in the final few minutes, we were carved open by a straight line run from half forward for the goal.
    Can't remember who it was that ran through for the shot, but he was even able to gather his own rebound off the post, then fist it across for a tap in.

The same against Mayo, some of the goals were pathetic with massive gaps to just run through unchallenged.
    Look like a team that didn't work on any kind of system either defensively or attacking with players running into each others space on attack and handpassing to players about to be bottled up.

It's year 3 for him now so at least he'll either have a good year and hold the position or someone else comes in and I'd at least expect to see a slight increase in performances along the lines of Cavan(who a lot of this team beat in the U21).

The players available are better than a few years ago IMO.
    Not top tier on what they've shown thus far but certainly should be capable of being back around 8-10, making quarter finals and at least rattling a few cages if things click on the day.

May just need someone with a defined system to come in and guide them.

Ya I'd agree, half back line is still a bit weak Center Back still a problem. Why did he bring on Greg Higgins today?

sonnky wrote: »
    Ya I'd agree, half back line is still a bit weak Center Back still a problem. Why did he bring on Greg Higgins today?

Made a raft of changes in the 2nd half once the game was over. I'd say he hoped to avoid one of the starters picking up a needless late injury and just to give lads on the bench a run out.

1-6 for Shane Walsh. Lad has unbelievable talent. Rare to see a player who is so comfortable on the ball kicking and soloing with both feet. Needs time to develop physically though. I fear he would still be a bit lightweight in a tight physical championship game but it's hard to ignore the raw talent.

Will be interesting to see who loses their place to Conroy for the Sligo game. Walsh, Martin, Cummins and Hoare all did well. That leaves either Kavanagh or Lundy. Do they put Conroy in full-forward or wing-forward? Seems like O'Curraoin and Flynn will be the midfield this year.

Made a raft of changes in the 2nd half once the game was over. I'd say he hoped to avoid one of the starters picking up a needless late injury and just to give lads on the bench a run out.

1-6 for Shane Walsh. Lad has unbelievable talent. Rare to see a player who is so comfortable on the ball kicking and soloing with both feet. Needs time to develop physically though. I fear he would still be a bit lightweight in a tight physical championship game but it's hard to ignore the raw talent.

Will be interesting to see who loses their place to Conroy for the Sligo game. Walsh, Martin, Cummins and Hoare all did well. That leaves either Kavanagh or Lundy. Do they put Conroy in full-forward or wing-forward? Seems like O'Curraoin and Flynn will be the midfield this year.

Ya he still could have brought on someone else apart from Higgins, I'm sure there are better on the bench. Ya Walsh is an excellent prospect. Sometimes he takes wrong options on the ball and is far too greedy. I'd be more concerned about his head than his physicality. Very good player though. Not sure which one of them two will be dropped. Anyone know how Lundy or Kavanagh played today? I'd line up 10.Lundy/Kavangh 11. Walsh 12. Conroy 13. Martyn 14. Hoare 15. Cummins. Maybe move Hoare out the field and have Conroy in full. But it will probably be Armstrong in that 10 position.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Conroy will come in at midfield I'd say. Flynn probably to step down. I would keep Army out but think that he will come in for Lundy. Walsh is a talent for sure and played well today but as said previously is a bit light weight and needs to be brought on slowly. Hoard played well today but dropped deep a lot and left Cummins and Martin in lots of space. Thought that Cummins was brilliant, points off both feet, a class score on the run with the outside of the boot and a goal to round it off, very good day for him. If he keeps fit and as sharp as today he will have a big year

• Advertisement

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Thought that Cummins was brilliant, points off both feet, a class score on the run with the outside of the boot and a goal to round it off, very good day for him. If he keeps fit and as sharp as today he will have a big year

He's probably the most improved player in the panel from the younger crop.

He did have a big U21 final but struggled a lot after that until last year.
    Ended up being one of the better forwards.

We could well end up getting a fair bit out of that U21 team after all.

Breathnach, Moore, Duane, Flynn, O'Curraoin and Cummins.
    All on the scene a while now and have the potential to be useful players.
    If they can improve again this year and the 2013 team come through in the same vein in 2015/2016 we might see at least a return to winning the Connacht Championship.

I never would have guessed watching the ceremony in 2008 that we'd be sitting without one heading into 2014..... the final blow after the downfall of 2001.
    At least till 2008 we were still competing for Connachts, now neither.

Wasn't really worried until I saw Conroy is out. If it wasn't for Conroy we wouldn't have pulled through against Waterford last year. We also had Meehan at that stage.

The main thing in Galway's favour is the old cliche of forewarned is forearmed. If Galway lost it can't be a case they didn't take it seriously enough, its that they won't have been good enough. As Cosmo Kramer says above, London have never been a great league team but have delivered the last few years in championship.

Seriously worried about the lack of any real leaders in the team but its hard to know where football in the county can go if we lose this one. Galway by 6-8 points I hope!

yes they are that bad however galway sound like clare 10 or 15 years ago when we were in the same position ye have a good enough team to win connacht however ye are at risk of winning nothing with a over negative attitude it still exist here in the banner west

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Great to get the win yesterday and great attitude shown by the players. Team needs a run of a few games to build confidence hopefully we should beat sligo if we get a good start. Have a funny feelin that Roscommon may shock mayo and connacht would be wide open then. Thought yesterday's line up was nearly full strength, only conroy was missing. Who will he replace the next day? Lundy is a great addition who gets through some amount of work and great to have another player in that mould because john o brien was a big loss in the league. Looks very competitive for places now in all positions and that can only bring the team on

I see the GAA set the Galway/Laois game for 4pm.

I'm not 100% on travelling so that's a bit of a kick in the teeth as the 2pm slot for Sunday was completely open with only Fermanagh/Antrim in the football on(was surprised to see that there was only 4 games of note on Sunday).

Limerick and Tipp will obviously be on at 4, and with Wexford/Antrim on at 2 I'm sure RTE will be showing that as well.

I know it would be a bit weird having the home team and top billing game on at 2 and Wex/Antrim at 4, but that Galway game is definitely the pick of those 3 available games.

Hope now I've a way up, radio just doesn't cut it in a close game.
    Wasn't too bad for London as it was over quick.

Hope now I've a way up, radio just doesn't cut it in a close game.
    Wasn't too bad for London as it was over quick.

These lads may be able to help you:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Hurling-Supporters-Club/306800140889?ref=ts&fref=ts

Have gone on this bus before, good service for next to nothing. They generally leave 30 minutes after the final whistle of the 2nd game. That can cause problems where there are bigger crowds like in Thurles last year or Limerick for the double header the last day as the traffic backs up but shouldn't be a problem on Sunday.

As for the game itself, in my opinion Galway need to lay down a marker in this match and win well.

The league was a bit of a mixed bag. Some positives but some worrying signs and as usual consistently inconsistent. The positive for me is that the players have all been playing club action in the last few weeks. The club championship has been very competitive this year and this should help in having the players match sharp.

Laois have made significant progress from where they were 3 or 4 years ago but their last few results don't suggest they are going to make the next big leap anytime soon. Its a game Galway should win comfortably if they are to have any kind of ambitions for a decent run in 2014. If they are scrambling around to win this in the last 10-15 minutes I'd be very worried for the year ahead.

Laois will attempt to crowd the middle sector and limit the damage early on. Galway will need to improvise and be more intelligent in possession than they usually are.

It'll be interesting to see how the forwards fare. I amn't convinced we know our best lineup in the forwards. Where Johnny Glynn is positioned will be interesting and as usual the big debate will be where Joe Canning finds himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Conroy will come in at midfield I'd say. Flynn probably to step down. I would keep Army out but think that he will come in for Lundy. Walsh is a talent for sure and played well today but as said previously is a bit light weight and needs to be brought on slowly. Hoard played well today but dropped deep a lot and left Cummins and Martin in lots of space. Thought that Cummins was brilliant, points off both feet, a class score on the run with the outside of the boot and a goal to round it off, very good day for him. If he keeps fit and as sharp as today he will have a big year

Flynn and O'Currain shouldnt be separated for the next 5 years never mind this year. The are really finding their feet at this level and its turning into a great partnership. Conroy for Hoare and let him drift out, and Army for Lundy or (dare I say) Kavangh imo.

Still hungover from the weekend in London. Great experience, London GAA really know how to make the most of limited resources. They deserve the small fortune they'd have made at Ruislip on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Flynn and O'Currain shouldnt be separated for the next 5 years never mind this year. The are really finding their feet at this level and its turning into a great partnership. Conroy for Hoare and let him drift out, and Army for Lundy or (dare I say) Kavangh imo.

Still hungover from the weekend in London. Great experience, London GAA really know how to make the most of limited resources. They deserve the small fortune they'd have made at Ruislip on Sunday

Flynn not the greatest of footballers, but if management could get him playing to his strengths, winning ball and not taking too much out of it, (something they could never get poor old Joe Bergin to do!), he could be effective. Wing forwards weren't hectic, Lundy is quick but a poor finisher, Kavanagh hasn't impressed the few times I've seen him play for Galway, though Armstrong is no great improvement here either. Conroy will boost this area when he returns, with probably Shane Walsh moving to a wing slot. Cummins and Martin were good on Sunday but still have to prove it against better opposition.

Great day on Sunday but the match was a non-runner as tests go. Thought O'Donnell and O'Curraoin had killed each other when they collided, could hear the smack all over the ground.

On the hurling front, news on Niall Healy not good unfortunately.

Think O'Curraoin is more your conventional midfielder. He will patrol the middle, catch some ball and distribute it. Flynn is more mobile, can get up and down the field and kick the odd score. They potentially could be a very good partnership at senior (and were all through underage football) provided they stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I agree that O'Curraoin is the more conventional midfielder, but Flynn has a lot to offer as well, he just seems so lightweight to me. They are the future though.

Kavanagh needs to show his true ability this year, I would not have him and Army in the same team, they don't work hard enough when we don't have the ball and you can only carry so many like that on a team.

Martin looked way better than I had thought, sharp and hungry for the ball, took his scores very well. Cummins looked the most dangerous any time he was near the ball there was an air of anticipation. He was probably the only forward who could hold his head high against Mayo last year and when we got to Croke Park to play Cork he was electric until he did his hamstring, the Cork corner back was in the Press the next day saying how delighted that he was when Cummins went off, always a sign of a great player when the opposition says that. Shane Walsh is a real talent who you could build a team around, he may need to look around more for what is on, but a class player who will only get better.

It will always be " it was only London" which is true and bigger battles lie ahead, but it was a good step in the right direction. I would like to see us get back to Croker even through the qualifiers and gain the experience and get better. We are not as bad as everyone would have you believe.

MfMan wrote: »
    Flynn not the greatest of footballers, but if management could get him playing to his strengths, winning ball and not taking too much out of it, (something they could never get poor old Joe Bergin to do!), he could be effective.
    I'd be in agreement with you up till this year. He's losing his shyness to shooting, as can be seen with his super goal against Meath. The guy is improving an awful lot, maybe more than FOC.

Can definitely see Army and Conroy replacing Lundy/Hoare. Would prefer Army on the bench whereas Conroy has to be in there regardless of who he replaces. Think Walsh has made the breakthrough to starter now. Heard great things about Martin on Sunday which is very positive considering we need somebody to step up for Meehan.

As for the hurlers I was devastated for Healy hearing he might be gone the year. He was the head of Craughwell's sudden revival. We should beat Laois more convincingly because they've been flat out for the last month but Hyland and the gang won't fear Galway, as they shouldn't. If Galway try and run the ball out of FB again we're already in the qualifiers.

It's hard to know what to do with the midfield.

You could argue that Conroys best position is in there.
    At CF it gives the ability to enact those same skills, being a similar role.
    Pushing him into FF though means he could be more effective scoring wise, but also out of games for long periods.

Its a bit like O'Shea for Mayo, started midfield, then he moved to the forwards as he got a bit older, before returning again to midfield.

I guess we at least have the option to move him there, the problem is getting that 4th midfielder in case one is out long term and something happens during a game be it an injury or performance issue.
    Who do you turn to then?.

I have no faith in Higgins anyway, be grand if he was catching a few balls and dishing them off but he's not, and offers nothing in attack.

I think as well the days of kicking 50/50 balls are gone, Dublin obviously perfected it and even watching Donegal in the first half against Derry they were very effective in winning easy ball.
    So it's even more of a nuisance to have someone like Higgins there, better off with lads 6'6 - 6'8 who are mobile, good ball users(which we have 3 options for).
    We just need to find another lad like that, or at least someone who can just win a few balls and dish them off for the times it is kicked long(I suppose regardless of how you set up your own kick outs, the aim is to get the opposition to kick theirs long so fielding will still be a plus to a degree)

Healy a big loss all right.

I'd have had him in my 15 or first forward off the bench.
    Was playing very well and a great free taker to boot, he'd have been our third option as it was I'd imagine.

Sad to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I agree that O'Curraoin is the more conventional midfielder, but Flynn has a lot to offer as well, he just seems so lightweight to me. They are the future though.

Kavanagh needs to show his true ability this year, I would not have him and Army in the same team, they don't work hard enough when we don't have the ball and you can only carry so many like that on a team.

Martin looked way better than I had thought, sharp and hungry for the ball, took his scores very well. Cummins looked the most dangerous any time he was near the ball there was an air of anticipation. He was probably the only forward who could hold his head high against Mayo last year and when we got to Croke Park to play Cork he was electric until he did his hamstring, the Cork corner back was in the Press the next day saying how delighted that he was when Cummins went off, always a sign of a great player when the opposition says that. Shane Walsh is a real talent who you could build a team around, he may need to look around more for what is on, but a class player who will only get better.

It will always be " it was only London" which is true and bigger battles lie ahead, but it was a good step in the right direction. I would like to see us get back to Croker even through the qualifiers and gain the experience and get better. We are not as bad as everyone would have you believe.
    V hopeful this year that we can make a Connacht final (& give the mayo lads a right rattle - we're not as bad as we looked last year) & get to the qtrs at least. saw them in their final league game in Monaghan, & although we lost I was v impressed. Mind u, I wouldn't let army next or near the team, he's had enough chances at this stage. Always looking 4 a crazy score out near the sideline when there's a man free inside. Would leave Flynn & O'Curraoin alone at midfield, Conroy could start at wing fwrd & move back to help out if needed, just like Bergin in '01. Cummins a great prospect, whilst Walsh has the potential to be our leading fwrd for 10 years. Saw him give Jack McCaffrey the run around in a minor semi 3 years ago, & he was brilliant in the U21 Connacht final v rossies last year. He reminds me of Maurice Fitz the way he solo runs, a real natural.
    Hurlers need to buck up or ship out this year - Laois gave us a fright last year, and they'll be wired up for it again this time around. Last chance for a few lads on that team, especially in the fwrds. I'd include JC in that - he's enough experience got now, he can't be learning all his life. The 2 Turlough Burkes are a huge addition, the rest need to man up now. Clare dispelled the myth about young lads not being able to win - if ur good enough ur old enough. A big year for them, need to leave club rivalries aside if we want to go anywhere.

Haven't been biggest fan of FOC or Flynn as a partnership but they are really growing into senior football! They need a consistent run of games together at this level. They've been playing well the last few games and deserve to stay together. Higgins mighnt be the best but hes an option if someone is injured or hoare too. Id leave 1-9 as it was the last day although its probably a bit harsh on moore. I dont see what or where all this fuss about armstrong comes from. He has rarely done it for galway and has been given an abundance of chances. Is leave him on the bench, he'd be more effective as an impact sub. Kavanagh hasn't yet shown his Kildare form for galway! Only change that i would make from last day is conroy for Kavanagh and put conroy in at full with hoare on wing. Altho hoare did well inside and is a big strong target man. Team has improved a lot in last number of weeks. Goalkeeper is very solid and kickouts have improved an awful lot and the fullback line have Hanley back. Half back line looks like its got a good shape for first time in few years. Midfield performing well and the forwards doing the business. Bench is lookin strong too with good competition for places. Hopefully we'll do the business against sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

O'Curraoin was excellent for his club in the Peile na Gaeltachta so far, got black carded today v harshly. Ran the show and created the score that sealed the win last night. Greats hopes for this guy

Was watching but missed the start and kinda outta the loop at club level. Why weren't Denvir or Ó' Gríofa playing?

Was watching but missed the start and kinda outta the loop at club level. Why weren't Denvir or Ó' Gríofa playing?

Think they are both injured.

Ó'Gríofa especially has had awful injury problems considering he was a very good underage player for Galway a few years back.

Ó'Gríofa hasn't played a senior match in the League even for Galway yet IIRC. He always seems to be injured which is a shame as he had a lot of potential from minor where he caught Cork out big time despite losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Serious gulf in class in the senior comórtas final yesterday.
    Kilcar were some outfit and probably had another gear or two to go up if needed. Tough weekend for MB. 4 tough matches in three days. one of which went to extra time. There will be alot of sore bodies this morning I'd say. Caherlistrane must be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In fairness, Kilcar started as 1/12 favourites. It wasn't a contest for long periods. O'Curraoin had a good game for MB.

Kilcar looked like they had another gear in them. 3 mchughs we're impossible to cope with. Not to mention they had mcBrearty on the sidelines. FOC was very good along with their 2 wingbacks who tried very hard. Denver also tried hard wen he came in. Those 4 players and o conaire really took the fight to kilcar but kilcar had quality all over the pitch. FOC looks like he's maturing into leader and improving plenty which is good news for galway

Team news: King, Costello, Duane, Concannon and Ó Connell have all been released from the Galway senior football panel.

Whats going on lads? Seen this tonight on Tribesmen facebook page. Seems a strange one 3 of 4 James' lads leaving the panel, Duane gone for a second time this season. Concannon was outstanding Vs Cortoon on Saturday. Must be disrepute in the camp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement