Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

That King the Ballinasloe keeper? Think he was only there as cover anyway; Egan, (a solid keeper also, St. James? ) is / was also on the panel, think management were particularly concerned for the London game as Healy was suspended. Not sure about O'Connell or Costello, just weren't good enough / pushing hard enough I think. The other two, same reason as before. Pity, Duane in particular, was a first teamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

MfMan wrote: »
    That King the Ballinasloe keeper? Think he was only there as cover anyway; Egan, (a solid keeper also, St. James? ) is / was also on the panel, think management were particularly concerned for the London game as Healy was suspended. Not sure about O'Connell or Costello, just weren't good enough / pushing hard enough I think. The other two, same reason as before. Pity, Duane in particular, was a first teamer.

Yeah, I don't think King, O Connell and Costello were ever really in the mix up to make a championship team. But the other two are big losses in my opinion especially duane. Looks like Joss Moore could be out for a while. Who will they put corner back?
    Obviously the two boys they didn't learn their lesson after the last time this happened : (

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Keith Kelly will prob go corner back now mullholland seems to like him altho aongus teirney looked ok in the league v Donegal hes another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

sonnky wrote: »
    Team news: King, Costello, Duane, Concannon and Ó Connell have all been released from the Galway senior football panel.

Whats going on lads? Seen this tonight on Tribesmen facebook page. Seems a strange one 3 of 4 James' lads leaving the panel, Duane gone for a second time this season. Concannon was outstanding Vs Cortoon on Saturday. Must be disrepute in the camp.

The James lads went on the beer after their club match last weekend so were released. Dunno about the rest

Any thoughts on the starting 15 for the next day?
    I'll go with
    Breathnach
    O Neill
    Hanley
    Teirney
    Bradshaw
    O Donnel
    Varley
    Flynn
    O curraoin
    Armstrong
    Walsh
    O brien (Kavanagh may be injured)
    Cummins
    Hoare
    Martin
    (If conroy is fit for swap for Lundy and put hoare at wing forward)

Doomsday approaches for both teams.

The best thing about 2014, is that both managers are in the final year so they either achieve something or if they fail we can look elsewhere.

Both seem fairly weak tactically.

We turned up to play Laois again without any evident game plan, criminal after the game last season.

Mulholland has two sets of U21 All Ireland winners to work with yet in some respects we seem further back than we were from 2001-2011 which is some indictment(Champ win against Armagh, narrow loss to Cork and London win versus league 2014, Mayo 2013, Waterford/Tipp 2013 and ironically Cork again which while a decent performance, we should have shut that out).

Just looked like headless chickens most times I watched, I think the footballers are capable of pushing on to the most respectable level since 2001 ala Kildare with the right man in place.
    Maybe he'll surprise in year 3 and come up with some amazing gameplan that gets the best out of the players instead of them looking like they're playing of instinct.

While the footballers don't have as much on line in their semi, the hurlers will have a pretty straightforward path to the final if they win on Sunday.

If we were to play at 100% that would be more than enough to blow the current contenders out of the water, the footballers can't say that.
    If we can get by KK and play to 80% then that will be more than enough to take out Dublin/Munster Loser and whoever the final throws.
    It's certainly in their hands, as bad as we were last year we still nearly revived both games against Clare/Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

If we were to play at 100% that would be more than enough to blow the current contenders out of the water, the footballers can't say that.
    If we can get by KK and play to 80% then that will be more than enough to take out Dublin/Munster Loser and whoever the final throws.
    It's certainly in their hands, as bad as we were last year we still nearly revived both games against Clare/Dublin.

Full agreed...

4 games from greatness, completely achievable if they actually believe in themselves and each other.

The danger is that both managers could manage their sides out of winning positions, Cunningham in particular just doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

While the footballers don't have as much on line in their semi, the hurlers will have a pretty straightforward path to the final if they win on Sunday.

Jesus Gilberto I don't know if you're being sarcastic or just messing or what, but right now I wouldn't trust our hurlers to have a straightforward path to anywhere. They're capable on their day we know that, but those days are just too few and far between and Cunningham's persistence with the same failed tactics doesn't help matters either. Hate to be a pessimist but I honestly think KK will win with a bit to spare on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Completely agree. The hurlers are an excellent team if they put their heart in it. Some problems exist:

A. No team spirit. I noticed in the Laois game that there was very little encouraging between players. At times in the first half they played as singles disregarding the other 14 players.

B. Joe Canning. Not him himself of course. He would do much better as a distributor in the middle of the field. He was our goal-getter back when we lacked talent up front, but we have 6+ other forwards just as capable as him. Even play him as a third midfielder scoring the odd point now and again. Realistically we need him to score 0-02 a game. Cooney can handle the frees. Take some pressure off him.

And here is the reasons why I think it's all or nothing for us this year:

A. Goalkeeping. We have arguable our best keeper at the moment in Colm Callannan. I find his shot stopping just as good as the best keepers. His puckouts have good direction and distance plus he can score from his own half.

B. Defense. Our best defensive set-up in a very long time. Tannion has made an excellent defender/sweeper aswell as the two Burkes. Conceeding only 6-137 in the 9 games this year its about 1-16 a game which is an excellent record.

C. Abundance of talent up front. With the likes of C Mannion and J Flynn in this year we really have competition for the forward line. Each chipping in with 0-2 each a game (approx.) sometimes more. As well as the goal-intentions of Glennon and the FF the last day whos name escapes me, we have good scoring ability.

D. Cunningham. Anthony Cunningham is our most tactically driven manager in decades and if anyone can do it he can.

My ideal line-up for Sunday:

1. Callanan
    2. Coen
    3. R. Burke
    4. Moore
    5. Burke
    6. Tannion
    7. Harte
    8. Brehony
    9. Canning
    10. Flynn
    11. Cooney
    12. N. Burke
    13. Mannion
    14. Glynn
    15. D. Burke

16. Ryan (G)
    17. Hayes (Replace J Flynn after 50.00)
    18. Smith (Replace Brehony after 45.00)
    19. Collins (Replace Harte after 50.00)
    20. Glennon (Replace Mannion after 55.00)
    21. J. Cooney (Replace N. Burke after 60.00)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

T0001 wrote: »
    Completely agree. The hurlers are an excellent team if they put their heart in it. Some problems exist:

A. No team spirit. I noticed in the Laois game that there was very little encouraging between players. At times in the first half they played as singles disregarding the other 14 players.

B. Joe Canning. Not him himself of course. He would do much better as a distributor in the middle of the field. He was our goal-getter back when we lacked talent up front, but we have 6+ other forwards just as capable as him. Even play him as a third midfielder scoring the odd point now and again. Realistically we need him to score 0-02 a game. Cooney can handle the frees. Take some pressure off him.

And here is the reasons why I think it's all or nothing for us this year:

A. Goalkeeping. We have arguable our best keeper at the moment in Colm Callannan. I find his shot stopping just as good as the best keepers. His puckouts have good direction and distance plus he can score from his own half.

B. Defense. Our best defensive set-up in a very long time. Tannion has made an excellent defender/sweeper aswell as the two Burkes. Conceeding only 6-137 in the 9 games this year its about 1-16 a game which is an excellent record.

C. Abundance of talent up front. With the likes of C Mannion and J Flynn in this year we really have competition for the forward line. Each chipping in with 0-2 each a game (approx.) sometimes more. As well as the goal-intentions of Glennon and the FF the last day whos name escapes me, we have good scoring ability.

D. Cunningham. Anthony Cunningham is our most tactically driven manager in decades and if anyone can do it he can.

My ideal line-up for Sunday:

1. Callanan
    2. Coen
    3. R. Burke
    4. Moore
    5. Burke
    6. Tannion
    7. Harte
    8. Brehony
    9. Canning
    10. Flynn
    11. Cooney
    12. N. Burke
    13. Mannion
    14. Glynn
    15. D. Burke

16. Ryan (G)
    17. Hayes (Replace J Flynn after 50.00)
    18. Smith (Replace Brehony after 45.00)
    19. Collins (Replace Harte after 50.00)
    20. Glennon (Replace Mannion after 55.00)
    21. J. Cooney (Replace N. Burke after 60.00)

Why are those lads been replaced and at those times, surely they should be taken off on the basis of their performance and not some prearranged substitutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

And yet, with all these positives you speak of, they only just got past Laois in the dying embers of the game. Would possibly have been one of the worst results in the history of Galway hurling if they had lost.

However, if there is a team out there that seems to bring the best out of Galway, it's Kilkenny. They don't seem scared of them and usually seem to play with a bit of freedom. Hopefully they've learned the lessons from the league semi and put in a good performance.

The footballers should be beating Sligo but our recent record is terrible against them. Regardless, we'll probably get demolished by a Mayo team who've got their poor performance out of the way just in time for the Connacht Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    And yet, with all these positives you speak of, they only just got past Laois in the dying embers of the game. Would possibly have been one of the worst results in the history of Galway hurling if they had lost.

However, if there is a team out there that seems to bring the best out of Galway, it's Kilkenny. They don't seem scared of them and usually seem to play with a bit of freedom. Hopefully they've learned the lessons from the league semi and put in a good performance.

The footballers should be beating Sligo but our recent record is terrible against them. Regardless, we'll probably get demolished by a Mayo team who've got their poor performance out of the way just in time for the Connacht Final.

in fairness to laois they only lost by a point or two to tipperary in a challenge at the weekend , they also ran limerick and clare just as close in the last few months i think any sort of win in portlaois against them this year is a good result

galway hit a ton of wides in the league semi final and were nowhere near championship pace that day and still could have won , if they up the anti there is no reason for them to win sunday , its been a strange start to the championship as it is this year with most bookies faviorites getting turned over at some stage ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

T0001 wrote: »

Cunningham might be tactically driven but in my mind they havent out thought their way to a win in a single game since 2012. Last year against clare, again this year in league games and against Laois the tactic is to lump in high ball to Johnny Glynn. Now while he is a great man to catch ball and his overall play is definitely improving this surely cant be the tactic for a serious Inter county hurling team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Cunningham might be tactically driven but in my mind they havent out thought their way to a win in a single game since 2012. Last year against clare, again this year in league games and against Laois the tactic is to lump in high ball to Johnny Glynn. Now while he is a great man to catch ball and his overall play is definitely improving this surely cant be the tactic for a serious Inter county hurling team?

I fully expect that high balls into Glynn will be used on occassion on Sunday. He has a noticable height difference over JJ so its worth a go.

However there needs to be more variety and I expect there will. Mannion and Flynn need to one their toes creating space, if this is done correctly, Niall Burke, Canning and possibly David Burke will all run from deep and either offload or take their own scores.

Kennedy and young Walsh are untested at this level, they may prove good enough but at this point I would consider them as weak links. Tyrell and JJ are legends of the game but on a hot summer days they wont fancy being dragged around by lads 10 years younger than them.

We have every chance.

PS: Shefflin is likely to play. He is 35 and has a portfolio of injuries that should have him finished long ago but his presence means too much to Cody. I cant see him living with the pace on Sunday, its time to bring the curtain down on him lads.

Roll on Sunday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Saturday is an absolutely massive game for the footballers, one that will make or break the season. Section A of the qualifiers this year, where Galway are allocated, is quite weak. The worst case scenario for a losing Connacht finalist is a 4th round qualifier against Derry or Laois. And it gets significantly weaker after that.

Should we beat Sligo, then even in the worst case scenario draw wise, we'll be odds on (approx 55%) to make the Quarter Final. That would constitute a fair season, and makes this game massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Saturday is an absolutely massive game for the footballers, one that will make or break the season. Section A of the qualifiers this year, where Galway are allocated, is quite weak. The worst case scenario for a losing Connacht finalist is a 4th round qualifier against Derry or Laois. And it gets significantly weaker after that.

Should we beat Sligo, then even in the worst case scenario draw wise, we'll be odds on (approx 55%) to make the Quarter Final. That would constitute a fair season, and makes this game massive

Although if Galway lose they will still go into section A, albeit two rounds earlier, so either way they have a decent shot at the quarters this year (not to mention the possibility of the direct route there through a Connacht win which cannot be ruled out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Although if Galway lose they will still go into section A, albeit two rounds earlier, so either way they have a decent shot at the quarters this year (not to mention the possibility of the direct route there through a Connacht win which cannot be ruled out).

Yeah ive factored in the chance of a win in Connacht. The problem with going into the qualifiers now at this stage is that we meet either the losers of Munster or Connacht finals. Im not sure if we can meet Sligo again, so that would leave us against the losing Munster finalist, Cork or Kerry. And of course we'd have to get by Derry or Laois before that in likelihood. Winning on Sat increases our chance massively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Sligo

Manus Breathnach
    Donal O'Neill
    Finian Hanley
    Aonghus Tierney
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Gary O'Donnell
    Paul Varley
    Fiontain O'Curraoin
    Tom Flynn
    Michael Lundy
    Shane Walsh
    James Kavanagh
    Michael Martin
    Eddie Hoare
    Danny Cummins

Strong team good to have armstrong and conroy on the bench for an impact. Teirney and o Neill will need to be sharp to deal with Kelly and Marren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Would ye think it would be time enough to get ticket at gate on day?,am heading to minor game as well...so would be in early.Saturdays match.

Sligo shouldn't be too hard to beat if Galway 'want' to win it. It all depends on player mentality now.

If we can win tomoro then that will be a huge win. Tomoro really is a must win for the future of this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

The Kilkenny team to play Galway on Sunday in Tullamore is:

E Murphy,
    P Murphy, JJ Delaney, B Kennedy,
    K Joyce, J Tyrrell, C Buckley,
    P Walsh, R Hogan,
    W Walsh, M Kelly, TJ Reid,
    C Fennelly, R Power, E Larkin.

Subs: D Herity, M Walsh, B Hogan, J Holden, C Fogarty, L Ryan, T Walsh, H Shefflin, A Fogarty, JJ Farrell, J Power.

Michael Fennelly reportedly out with injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Colm Callanan
    Fergal Moore
    Ronan Burke
    David Collins
    Daithi Burke
    Iarlaith Tannian
    Johnny Coen
    Andrew Smith
    Padraig Brehony
    David Burke
    Niall Burke
    Conor Cooney
    Cathal Mannion
    Joe Canning
    Jason Flynn

If ever there was a match Canning needs to stay in FF it's this one.

Good Win 0-16 / 0-11. Excellent play from mid-field, and the forwards were brilliant. Round 4 quailifier guarenteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Hope this is the start of something for Galway we have a few very good players so lets see how they develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

We had good support in Sligo today.

Our minors also had good victory

Well done to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Getting excited for the Hurling later - hon Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Is Canning still taking the frees for Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Lojak wrote: »
    Is Canning still taking the frees for Galway?

Cooney I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Fantastic comeback from the boys there, I really enjoyed the second half.
    The ref made a huge mistake in the first half giving a free to the cats for what was a fair shoulder and led to there first goal.
    They can thank the keeper for the draw though he played very well.
    Best game I have seen Andy Smith play for Galway.
    It could be a good season yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Wow what a comeback thought they were dead and buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Good stuff Galway. Nice comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Good weekend for Galway overall.

Up in Sligo yesterday, we finally saw some signs that we are starting to take some steps forward after a few dire seasons. Sligo weren't up to much but Galway played well in patches and for the first time in a decade or so we have a midfield capable of winning a good percentage of ball. Shane Walsh had a fine game as did Eddie Hoare, others did well in patches. I'd still have major reservations about our backline who weren't properly tested. Its disappointing that Johnny Duane is gone as we struggled hugely on David Kelly. I'm not sure Gareth Bradshaw is much of an addition at this stage either. I think Galway lacked a bit of ruthlessness that will be needed in later games but its a major monkey off Alan Mulholland's back, still major scope for improvement but its a young panel who can hopefully build from here. we'll see how they fare against Mayo in 3 weeks time but we are into the last 12 now and the August bank holiday weekend may be a possibility for the first time since 2008.

In the minor football, Galway won easily also against a poor Sligo side. Looks to be 4 or 5 promising players on that team. Whether they have the all round quality to be contenders is doubtful. They are playing Mayo next up, if we have any proper county board it should be at a Galway venue after the clowns handed away home venue and with it a potential tilt at the All-Ireland last year.

In Tullamore today, I don't even know where to begin but Galway have another shot that we probably didn't deserve. To go from a 1 point lead to trail by 10 is a recurring problem for Galway. Kilkenny eased up but all credit to the lads for sticking with it. I thought the late goals were window dressing but its proof that if you get the right ball in and run at Kilkenny, you can get goals. Really we should have had 2 or 3 more earlier in the game.

However, overall you'd have to question management today. David Burke wasn't playing well but was left on until it looked to be too late. 3 or 4 others didn't deliver also but there were many more who did. Andy Smith did well, Canning did ok in the first half and really delivered when it mattered. Johnny Glynn made a huge impact. Jason Flynn, Niall Burke, David Burke and Cathal Mannion need to play in more than fits and starts. Brehony didn't really have a great day at the office. Tannian was a mixed bag but along with David Collins kept going when the tide was coming against them. Fergal Moore looks to be struggling more and more with each day out. The two Burkes in the backs performed well in general. I'd hope for more from Johnny Coen but he delivered in patches.

My nagging feeling is that Kilkenny were able to up the ante whenever Galway got a couple of points ahead, the fact we hung in there is to our credit and it was a much improved display on most of the last year and a half but the lads who had ok or poor games today will need to deliver next weekend if we are to advance and management will have to be a lot more ruthless.

Good win for footballers yesterday well needed. Kickouts were very good we won many of them. Was impressed with spine of team Hanley o Donnel midfield Walsh and hoare. Only real let down for me was Bradshaw. Was very poor at times and gave away scores due to sloppy mistakes and lack of concentration. Forwards did well and cant see where conroy will play nxt day out. Cant see mullholland making any changes unless he brings in moore for teirney (who i thought played well)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Good win for the footballers, was pleasantly surprised to see a good following from Galway there. Was one of the hottest evenings I reckon I've ever watched Galway okay in, the heat on the terrace was unreal. Consequently the performance was even more encouraging. Forwards have great potential, a tight pitch like Sligo wasn't the best place to showcase it. If we could get to Croker (& avoid Dublin/Donegal/mayo there), they could really cut loose. Would be worried about our backs thou, serious jack of pace, esp the 2 corner backs. May have to bite the bullet on Duane, he has got the speed necessary. Mayo in Castlebar is a ferocious challenge, if the backs aren't on their toes it could be 2014 revisited. Hopefully not thou.
    As for the hurlers, hard to know where they're at. Great comeback, but to concede 1-8 without reply between 50-60 mins isn't good enough. Great character in fairness, but it's time for some real consistency now. Thought the backs struggled all day, with the exception of the 2 Burkes, although in fairness the amount of ball raining in on them was savage. Half fwrds were poor, esp D Burke. Didn't win enuf puckouts, in fairness J Glynn made a big difference there. JC delivered at the end, but took too long to get into the game. Replay is huge, it's unlikely we'll do well in the qualifiers, so I reckon it's go or get off the potty on Saturday, probably for this panel & mgmt team. Some things never change!
    One final point - am I the only one who thinks that kk supporters are the most obnoxious and unsporting in the country? I suppose they've had pretty much unbroken success for up to 14/15 years now, but surely that doesn't give them the right to be abusive to all opposing players, telling their own players to "teach them a lesson" at every opportunity, abusing all referees & linesmen, and openly sneering at all other counties supporters. I usually get on well with supporters of most counties (& would see banter as a very important part of any match day), but kk people really get under my skin. I think their hurling teams are class acts and always are humble in victory, but their followers always leave a sour taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Good win for the footballers, was pleasantly surprised to see a good following from Galway there. Was one of the hottest evenings I reckon I've ever watched Galway okay in, the heat on the terrace was unreal. Consequently the performance was even more encouraging. Forwards have great potential, a tight pitch like Sligo wasn't the best place to showcase it. If we could get to Croker (& avoid Dublin/Donegal/mayo there), they could really cut loose. Would be worried about our backs thou, serious jack of pace, esp the 2 corner backs. May have to bite the bullet on Duane, he has got the speed necessary. Mayo in Castlebar is a ferocious challenge, if the backs aren't on their toes it could be 2014 revisited. Hopefully not thou.
    As for the hurlers, hard to know where they're at. Great comeback, but to concede 1-8 without reply between 50-60 mins isn't good enough. Great character in fairness, but it's time for some real consistency now. Thought the backs struggled all day, with the exception of the 2 Burkes, although in fairness the amount of ball raining in on them was savage. Half fwrds were poor, esp D Burke. Didn't win enuf puckouts, in fairness J Glynn made a big difference there. JC delivered at the end, but took too long to get into the game. Replay is huge, it's unlikely we'll do well in the qualifiers, so I reckon it's go or get off the potty on Saturday, probably for this panel & mgmt team. Some things never change!
    One final point - am I the only one who thinks that kk supporters are the most obnoxious and unsporting in the country? I suppose they've had pretty much unbroken success for up to 14/15 years now, but surely that doesn't give them the right to be abusive to all opposing players, telling their own players to "teach them a lesson" at every opportunity, abusing all referees & linesmen, and openly sneering at all other counties supporters. I usually get on well with supporters of most counties (& would see banter as a very important part of any match day), but kk people really get under my skin. I think their hurling teams are class acts and always are humble in victory, but their followers always leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Ya the supporters seem like awful dick heads in fairness. Also I don't like Cody think he is a very arrogant fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've lots of dealings with KK people in a different sport and to put it mildly, I've never been impressed. I know it's ridiculous to tar all with the same brush, but 'Thick' in all senses of the word is how I've found a high percentage of them - on a consistent basis.
    Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

GY in fairness reeled KK in and showed great spirit and showed Kks weakness
    To the viewer and to be fair needed the old soldiers at dis stage in the campaign
    To salvage the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

sonnky wrote: »
    Ya the supporters seem like awful dick heads in fairness. Also I don't like Cody think he is a very arrogant fellow.

We have our share of dickheads but only our share, no more or less than any other county. I have to say I never heard much in the way of bitterness when at Kilkenny- Galway matches. I always thought they were both amongst the more civilized sets of supporters. Arrogance is as far away from Cody's nature as to be a laughable comment. I defy you to quote any arrogant remark he has ever passed about any opposition in over 14 years in charge of Kilkenny.

By the way why do you not concentrate on what was a wonderful match and praise it for what it was, remembering that it took two great teams to give such a great display rather than this Irish need to disparage all and everything from the opposing county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I find the Kilkenny crowd as fine as any, their arrogant side does tend to come out when it comes to hurling but if we'd as much won as they did we'd be the same and I think you'd say the same of most counties. There is knobs from all counties.

The bottom line is Kilkenny and others (such as Tipp and Cork) don't regard Galway as a serious hurling team who have the guts to go and deliver on the big day at senior level and to be fair history has shown that to be true more often than not.

We won't get any meaningful respect until we go and win an All-Ireland. It's like Keith Wood said about the All-Blacks, until you beat them they won't respect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

By the way why do you not concentrate on what was a wonderful match and praise it for what it was, remembering that it took two great teams to give such a great display rather than this Irish need to disparage all and everything from the opposing county.
    Didn't disparage all and everything, made it clear I've great time for the team & their conduct on & off the pitch, just find the attitude of their supporters hard to stomach.

I find the Kilkenny crowd as fine as any, their arrogant side does tend to come out when it comes to hurling but if we'd as much won as they did we'd be the same and I think you'd say the same of most counties. There is knobs from all counties.

The bottom line is Kilkenny and others (such as Tipp and Cork) don't regard Galway as a serious hurling team who have the guts to go and deliver on the big day at senior level and to be fair history has shown that to be true more often than not.

We won't get any meaningful respect until we go and win an All-Ireland. It's like Keith Wood said about the All-Blacks, until you beat them they won't respect you.

You could not be more wrong. Kilkenny always fear Galway and you cannot fear some one you do not respect. If we did not prepare for playing you as well as Cody makes us prepare Galway would hockey us all the time. Galway were the most important game on Kilkenny's calender since the draw was made. Not one Kilkenny person I know was thinking about a Leinster or an All Ireland final, just Galway and that is the way it will be until next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have no grudge with KK fans myself. One of the more impressive things that's ever happened to me at a match was when KK fans left before half time in that Leinster Final and walked up at least 6 rows to shake myself and a mate's hand in congratulations. I've met far more annoying Galway fans in all honesty.

That said there was a post in the KK thread slating Tannian as a scumbag. Short memory of Tan being taken out of it against the cats in a pretty important game.

Good weekend for Galway overall.

In Tullamore today, I don't even know where to begin but Galway have another shot that we probably didn't deserve. To go from a 1 point lead to trail by 10 is a recurring problem for Galway. Kilkenny eased up but all credit to the lads for sticking with it. I thought the late goals were window dressing but its proof that if you get the right ball in and run at Kilkenny, you can get goals. Really we should have had 2 or 3 more earlier in the game.

However, overall you'd have to question management today. David Burke wasn't playing well but was left on until it looked to be too late. 3 or 4 others didn't deliver also but there were many more who did. Andy Smith did well, Canning did ok in the first half and really delivered when it mattered. Johnny Glynn made a huge impact. Jason Flynn, Niall Burke, David Burke and Cathal Mannion need to play in more than fits and starts. Brehony didn't really have a great day at the office. Tannian was a mixed bag but along with David Collins kept going when the tide was coming against them. Fergal Moore looks to be struggling more and more with each day out. The two Burkes in the backs performed well in general. I'd hope for more from Johnny Coen but he delivered in patches.

My nagging feeling is that Kilkenny were able to up the ante whenever Galway got a couple of points ahead, the fact we hung in there is to our credit and it was a much improved display on most of the last year and a half but the lads who had ok or poor games today will need to deliver next weekend if we are to advance and management will have to be a lot more ruthless.

So what did KK do in particular to deserve a win either? For 55 minutes both teams were very evenly matched. Then KK had a purple patch, followed by similar from Galway. (And it must be worrying for KK that Galway ran through their defence in a way that they didn't up the other end). For KK, Mark Kelly and Walter Walsh were practically passengers, Eoin Larkin largely subdued, TJ Reid didn't actually hit a meaningful ball from play until the 58th minute, Jackie Tyrell under real pressure, JJ had his difficulties etc. For all the talk about their strength on the bench, it was the old timer's KK turned to when things got tough, a compliment of sorts in itself to Galway.

Galway on the other hand have a lot of scope for improvement too. Daithi, though not especially bad, had his quietest game of the year, Johnny Coen needs to up it too, Brehony, in his first big game remember, was largely by-passed. The forwards really need to hit the ground running, it's no good hoping for them to play their way into the game eventually, it has to come quicker. Cathal Mannion may not start the next day, but Johnny Glynn could also be better off the bench rather than starting. Why not leave Niall Burke FF when he had a good stint there in the first half? And what to do with David Burke? Drop him? Play him midfield? Third midfielder? To repeat, it's no longer good enough waiting for him, he has to produce quicker and constantly.
    Tannian, for all the criticism leveled at him, (by me too), had a fairly powerful match, especially considering the knock he took early on.

The replay will be won by however adapts their tactics and players more adroitly; it was KK in 2012, is it Galway's turn now?

MfMan wrote: »
    So what did KK do in particular to deserve a win either? For 55 minutes both teams were very evenly matched. Then KK had a purple patch, followed by similar from Galway. (And it must be worrying for KK that Galway ran through their defence in a way that they didn't up the other end). For KK, Mark Kelly and Walter Walsh were practically passengers, Eoin Larkin largely subdued, TJ Reid didn't actually hit a meaningful ball from play until the 58th minute, Jackie Tyrell under real pressure, JJ had his difficulties etc. For all the talk about their strength on the bench, it was the old timer's KK turned to when things got tough, a compliment of sorts in itself to Galway.

Galway on the other hand have a lot of scope for improvement too. Daithi, though not especially bad, had his quietest game of the year, Johnny Coen needs to up it too, Brehony, in his first big game remember, was largely by-passed. The forwards really need to hit the ground running, it's no good hoping for them to play their way into the game eventually, it has to come quicker. Cathal Mannion may not start the next day, but Johnny Glynn could also be better off the bench rather than starting. Why not leave Niall Burke FF when he had a good stint there in the first half? And what to do with David Burke? Drop him? Play him midfield? Third midfielder? To repeat, it's no longer good enough waiting for him, he has to produce quicker and constantly.
    Tannian, for all the criticism leveled at him, (by me too), had a fairly powerful match, especially considering the knock he took early on.

The replay will be won by however adapts their tactics and players more adroitly; it was KK in 2012, is it Galway's turn now?
    As a Kilkenny man I cant find fault with this analysis. We have a huge amount of work to do in a week to be ready for Galway. I believe overall Galway are the happier after today and with more reason to be happy. The consolation for Kilkenny is that we know where the problem lies. As to if we have the personnel to solve the problem well that is Brian Cody's homework for the week and better him than me. There will be no Brian Kennedy or Walter Walsh picked and Jackie wont be center back. Who will replace them I have no idea I just hope Cody does.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Have to say I grew up listening to tales about the great Christy Ring,John Keane,John Doyle,watched in awe as a kid Jimmy Barry Murphy,loved the wristwork of Billy Fitzpatrick and had the pleasure of being able to say I met the great Brian Whelehan but in years to come id love to be able to tell the grandchildren about the great Joe Canning. To me he is the Messi/Ronaldo of our great game. I would travel the length and breadth of this country to see him play. In an era where the pace of the game has rapidly increased the cream still rise to the top,and at 35 yrs old Henry Shefflin deserves tremendous credit for standing the test of time(his comebacks from so many serious injuries tell you how driven he is)both their last scores yesterday were fairytale stuff.

The last thing I want to do is start a war of words about whom is better,Canning or Shefflin! This is just my own personal opinion,I'm sure others will have their own personal favourites and examples why but the mighty Joe for me ticks all the boxes.

cul beag wrote: »
    Have to say I grew up listening to tales about the great Christy Ring,John Keane,John Doyle,watched in awe as a kid Jimmy Barry Murphy,loved the wristwork of Billy Fitzpatrick and had the pleasure of being able to say I met the great Brian Whelehan but in years to come id love to be able to tell the grandchildren about the great Joe Canning. To me he is the Messi/Ronaldo of our great game. I would travel the length and breadth of this country to see him play. In an era where the pace of the game has rapidly increased the cream still rise to the top,and at 35 yrs old Henry Shefflin deserves tremendous credit for standing the test of time(his comebacks from so many serious injuries tell you how driven he is)both their last scores yesterday were fairytale stuff.

The last thing I want to do is start a war of words about whom is better,Canning or Shefflin! This is just my own personal opinion,I'm sure others will have their own personal favourites and examples why but the mighty Joe for me ticks all the boxes.

There is no true hurling follower from any county that does not hold Joe Canning in the greatest esteem. I met the great Mick Mackey once and that was the thrill of my life and I was an adult at the time. Denis Coughlan of your own county was one of my all time favorite hurlers. The best are admired no matter where they or you are from.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement