Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Conroy free role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Conroy free role?

I doubt it as Hoare will be roaming around the place.

This is an incredibly hard call on Martin. He has been doing reasonably well all year and had a decent game against Sligo. Also, he usually links up well with Cummins. I attended the James - Milltown match a few weeks ago and Martin was impressive in that game too. Much more impressive than Conroy actually.

Conroy is a class act. There is no question. I am not sure about this team though - it seems to lack balance by putting Conroy in there. Does he play as a 2 man full forward line? I dont think he is really suited to that. Does he roam out to midfield? Would make sense if Hoare wasnt at number 14.

I'd much prefer to see Martin at number 13 and Conroy out in the half forward line.

If any of the forwards were to be dropped it was always gonna be martin. Altho i cant see conroy playin corner forward? Where will he really play?? Is ther any chance he'll play centre forward and put Walsh corner forward? Leave the 2 pacy lads inside? Could work? Moore for teirney was an obvious switch altho teirney did well v sligo. Maybe a bit surprised Kavanagh didnt start for comer. A good intensity will be needed and plenty of movement in order to do damage v mayo and we need to force them to kick long from their own kickouts

Walsh had an outstanding game at 11 against Sligo. I dont get why anybody would even consider moving him from that position. Walsh needs to get on the ball as much as possible. So I think he needs to stay at number 11.

This team doesnt make any sense to me. Maybe he could switch Comer and Conroy? Or maybe we will actually see Conroy at 14 and Hoare at 13. However, Mulholland has used Conroy mostly as a midfielder and not as a full forward.

I just dont understand what he is trying to do with this team!

Gary O'Donnell v Aidan OSe could be a good battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

I agree i think Walsh should stay at 11 im just trying to make sense of where he'll play conroy. I reckon he'll use conroy and hoare as rotating 3rd midfielders leave one in and one in midfield and switch every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I doubt it as Hoare will be roaming around the place.

This is an incredibly hard call on Martin. He has been doing reasonably well all year and had a decent game against Sligo. Also, he usually links up well with Cummins. I attended the James - Milltown match a few weeks ago and Martin was impressive in that game too. Much more impressive than Conroy actually.

Conroy is a class act. There is no question. I am not sure about this team though - it seems to lack balance by putting Conroy in there. Does he play as a 2 man full forward line? I dont think he is really suited to that. Does he roam out to midfield? Would make sense if Hoare wasnt at number 14.

I'd much prefer to see Martin at number 13 and Conroy out in the half forward line.

Since when did Trinity students follow GAA? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That wasn't actually that bad. If we played Kerry or Dublin in their back yard and got beat by 7 then there wouldn't be a bad reaction. Because of the natural superiority complex Galway people have over their Mayo counterparts it always seems bad when we lose to them. But they are one of the top teams in the country and we're a bit away from that yet. Still, we were beaten by giving away soft goals and it was competitive bar that. Still one game away from a quarter finals and we'll go into the game with tipp as very marginal favs. There's much to look forward to. Sadly I expect a negative reaction and there won't be 1/10th of the Galway crowd there from today at the Tipp game, which is annoying as it's our biggest game in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That wasn't actually that bad. If we played Kerry or Dublin in their back yard and got beat by 7 then there wouldn't be a bad reaction. Because of the natural superiority complex Galway people have over their Mayo counterparts it always seems bad when we lose to them. But they are one of the top teams in the country and we're a bit away from that yet. Still, we were beaten by giving away soft goals and it was competitive bar that. Still one game away from a quarter finals and we'll go into the game with tipp as very marginal favs. There's much to look forward to. Sadly I expect a negative reaction and there won't be 1/10th of the Galway crowd there from today at the Tipp game, which is annoying as it's our biggest game in years

Yeah it was a big improvement on last year even though it was a relatively comfortable win for Mayo in the end. Mayo are a seriously physically powerful side with 4 or 5 years of strength and conditioning work behind them. They were often able to burst straight through our tackles. You can see that our younger players are still lacking a bit physically.

Like last year though we got killed on the breaking ball. Not a lot of clean ball caught but Mayo flooded midfield and McLoughlin and Doherty cleaned up. Especially in the first half.

Cannot believe though that Mulholland left O'Neill on O'Connor the entire game. Maybe if Joss Moore hadn't pulled out at the last minute he might have made that switch but you still have to try something.

Shane Walsh very quiet in the first half but he came into it more in the second. Scored one unbelievable point and he'll have better days going forward. I would have actually left Cummins on as he was causing some bother for Mayo even though he hit some awful wides. Hoare had a game to forget. Hit 3 bad wides in the first 20 minutes and his confidence went I feel. Lundy was decent. Kept driving forward. Conroy got better as the game went on but I have a feeling he's not quite 100% fit yet.

The Tipp game is very important now. Win it and Galway are back in an All-Ireland quarter-final which would represent good progress this year. They could go out and give it a lash against Kerry. Lose against Tipp and a lot of the negative vibes would return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jesus, if Galway people thought that effort was alright then they're in an even bigger hole than I thought. There wasn't one point in the game where I thought Galway had any chance of winning and Mayo never got out of second gear. I wouldn't be happy with any Mayo team I've ever seen - and I've seen some bad ones - going to Galway and rolling over like that - but this was a Galway team packed with underage All Ireland winners and they looked beaten by half time for the second year in a row. I just don't know if Galway people involved in the setup have the interest or inclination to make the necessary structural changes required - although I suspect if they did it would have happened by now.

Jesus, if Galway people thought that effort was alright then they're in an even bigger hole than I thought. There wasn't one point in the game where I thought Galway had any chance of winning and Mayo never got out of second gear. I wouldn't be happy with any Mayo team I've ever seen - and I've seen some bad ones - going to Galway and rolling over like that - but this was a Galway team packed with underage All Ireland winners and they looked beaten by half time for the second year in a row. I just don't know if Galway people involved in the setup have the interest or inclination to make the necessary structural changes required - although I suspect if they did it would have happened by now.

Sure Mayo trounced Donegal by 16 points last August and Donegal were All-Ireland champions. Mayo are a top 2 or 3 side and have been for a good few years now. Galway are at the beginning of the road for them. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to match up physically and mentally to such an experienced outfit. Especially physically they are just not on that level yet. It takes time so I wouldn't throw them under the bus for not being able to beat Mayo up in Castlebar. Not many teams would be able to.

That said there are aspects of the performance that you would not be happy with. They gave up some pretty soft goals. Had they avoided a couple of those they may well have been in with a shout coming into the final 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Where/When is the Tipperary game?

• Advertisement

Sure Mayo trounced Donegal by 16 points last August and Donegal were All-Ireland champions. Mayo are a top 2 or 3 side and have been for a good few years now. Galway are at the beginning of the road for them. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to match up physically and mentally to such an experienced outfit. Especially physically they are just not on that level yet. It takes time so I wouldn't throw them under the bus for not being able to beat Mayo up in Castlebar. Not many teams would be able to.

That said there are aspects of the performance that you would not be happy with. They gave up some pretty soft goals.

Donegal and Mayo aren't cross border local rivals though - the derby element usually narrows the gap between teams.

Having said that I agree with a lot of what you say - though it was the manner of defeat more than the defeat itself that would concern me. If I was a Galway supporter I would like to know that there's a clear plan being followed to bridge that gap but I haven't heard or seen much to suggest that the necessary root and branch changes are being brought about (as happened in Mayo after the Sligo/Longford debacle of 2010).

Where/When is the Tipperary game?

I think it will be in two weeks time at a neutral venue (Ennis/Limerick/Croker?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Mixed bag but really Mayo were fairly comfortable. Galway highlighted enough weaknesses in Mayo to add further question marks to their All-Ireland credentials but we are a bit away still and being honest we don't have it on the line either.

At that level you need to maximise your periods in the ascendency and really Galway missed a lot of scorable chances at key times.

Tipperary is an important game, a win there is essential.

At that level you need to maximise your periods in the ascendency and really Galway missed a lot of scorable chances at key times.

I think Cummins and Hoare hit 7 or 8 awful wides just between the two of them. Thought Cummins was actually playing well enough in winning ball and turning his marker. Just left his shooting boots at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Very disappointed with the galway display today. After last years display I thought we'd put up a fight but that was just gutless. The amount of lads that backed out of going for the hard ball and didn't chase balls that bounced just past them was pathetic. On top of that we spent an entire half lumping kickouts into our midfield completely convinced we'd win first time possesion while being wiped out. I lost count of the amount of times that mayo had three lads waiting in front for breaks while we had 2 in the air and no one battling on the ground.
    I'd forgive the wides today as theres no doubt we have the forwards to do damage but we need a midfield system for when things aren't working in the air, we need a defensive system the doesn't involved our entire forward 6 sitting in the half back line and confusing matters and most of all we need the 15 on the pitch to put their bodies on the line for the 50/50 or 60/40 ball. Otherwise they'll play out their intercounty career with nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Tipp are a hugely improved side and have some quality forwards that would get in any team in the country, particularly Conor Sweeney. Paddy Codd is a mighty full back and McDonald in the corner is a great man marker.

We should really win more ball at midfield against them than we did today. But we will need to be really up for it because it's going to be a very tough game. That being said, it is a kind draw.

I think we can be pleased with today, never once threw in the towel which is a positive. Lots to work on, particularly the wide count. Cummins was responsible for the lot of him but I would never have taken him off because he is a terrific ball winner out in front with his pace. Lads like Conroy and Walsh need to be moving off him to receive passes and they'll throw it over. That has to be the main tactic, tell Danny to lay it off.

We struggled with the pace of the game at times and got opened up alot but I think that was always going to happen. Leaving O Neill on O Connor is a point well made but the reality is, do we have anyone other inside defender who can mark him? Probably not, which is a worry.

I think I'd start Armstrong the next day ahead of one of Comer or Hoare because we will have a bit more time and space and he can kick scores.

Hugely impressed with Lundy today who ran himself into the ground. Conroy and Walsh came into it alot in the second half. Plenty to work on but a huge step forward from last year. Roll on 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't think this Mayo team can get out of second gear, big difference between this year and last was that Mayo were out of sight at ht in '13. Say what you like, Mayo's forwards have gone back, Dillon and Andy Moran in particular. Galway's quick fire scores after the interval showed that they were still close enough if good enough. (Like you, I've seen much much worse performances from my county than today).

For this Mayo team, it has to be this year or never, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

MfMan wrote: »
    Don't think this Mayo team can get out of second gear, big difference between this year and last was that Mayo were out of sight at ht in '13. Say what you like, Mayo's forwards have gone back, Dillon and Andy Moran in particular. Galway's quick fire scores after the interval showed that they were still close enough if good enough. (Like you, I've seen much much worse performances from my county than today).

It's never so. That mayo team is miles off an all Ireland.

Mayo haven't a hope this year without some sort of miracle. No forwards and a much more porous defence than previous years. Dublin and kerry would eat them alive. Would struggle against monaghan and meath also. They were tbere for the taking today if we had a half decent defensive system and had more fearlessness. If we even just took our chances we'd have run them close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I felt the game was over at half time but if that shot at the start of the 2nd half had been 3 inches lower we were back in business. Mayo's goals were very soft though.

Mayo have got to a QF without showing their hand at all. I'd worry for them though - if we can put 16 points on them what will Dublin do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The gulf in class was evident just from the first half. Mayo rampaged through Galway's HB-line and slotted over handy points. Beaten convincingly by a far better side but a lot of worries after it.

Flynn and O'Curraoin had their worst showing so far. Aidan O'Shea just tore them apart single-handedly.
    A lot of the first half was Lundy and Bradshaw being. the only running options and fair play to them they tried very hard all game.
    The FB-line was torn apart with simple passes over the top, especially Hanley.
    Breathnach's kickouts are hemorrhaging scores. Not entirely his fault but the ease at which Hennelly distributed his kickouts was ridiculous in comparison.

That said in spite of the expected defeat there were glimmers of hope. If they didn't smash the bar it could've been closer. The FF line was vastly improved in the second half and goal chances were there. Conroy and Amry impressed along with Walsh, who wasted opportunities by going for selfish scores from long-range. Bradshaw was decent and Lundy was very good in the first half. Kavanagh made a noticeable difference when he came on.

Galway didn't even win breaking ball and the midfield was woeful. They got a right kick up the hole today and considering Tipp's showing against Laois away we have a big challenge in order to get to the QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Galway v Tipperary and COrk v Sligo on 26th July in a neutral venue. I would have it in Tullamore or Gaelic Grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

To many silly wide balls today cost us and letting them run with the ball in the second half (he's not my man someone else will take him)
    I'm disappointed with the result but the performance was not to bad that said we need forwards that can score 8 or 9 out of 10 chances.
    Our midfield needs more time, big lads and tidy footballers but lots to learn, if they do and the forwards take their chances we might have good team shortly.

Flynn and O'Curraoin had their worst showing so far. Aidan O'Shea just tore them apart single-handedly.

He was actually very rarely directly up against either of them. Which is why Horan probably selected him at 11. There was little enough clean ball caught by either side but Mayo won a pile of breaking ball.
    Breathnach's kickouts are hemorrhaging scores. Not entirely his fault but the ease at which Hennelly distributed his kickouts was ridiculous in comparison.

I agree his big weakness is his kick outs. He can only really boot it straight down the field. He doesn't have the accuracy to pick out players. Especially out on the wings.

All in all a curate's egg of a performance. Mayo never looked in danger of losing but Galway also left a possible 2-5 behind them on the day through missed goal chances and really bad wides.

The lads in midfield hadnt a great day but it was completely crowded by Mayo and O'Donnell couldnt handle O'Shea's physicality. The Mayo keeper constantly picked out free men from kick outs also which is rather frustrating as the same happened in Salthill last year and Mulholland did nothing to prevent it this time. Flynn and O'Curraion will get blame for losing midfield but thats lazy journalism and it was a sum of many things.

• Advertisement

There really is nothing to be satisfied about with that performance. If Galway begin to be satisifed with performances of that kind, then we will never improve.

Mulholland should have moved O'Neill off O'Connor. It was clear after 10 minutes that O'Neill was being taken to the cleaners by O'Connor. You can argue that O'Neill is Galways best man-marker and we had nobody better to mark O'Connor. However, O'Neill failed to win 1 ball so the likes of Tierney or Hanley would have done no worse. Personally, I would have switched Hanley with O'Neill just to see if it would tighten things up. Another option would have been to bring back a sweeper similar to how they handled Jamie Clarke in the Armagh match last year.

The half back line was dreadful and was the main reason for out failings in the first half. Mayo ensured that Galway did not win primary possession and their half forward line were so much sharper to the break. Kevin McLoughlin in particular won a lot of breaks.

Galway need to persevere with these midfielders. However, they need to learn that there is more to midfield play than winning high kick-outs.

In the half forward line, Lundy was excellent, probably Galway's best player. Kavanagh was better than Comer and should probably start the next day (although he should have won the ball for one of Mayo goals).

In the full forward line, I do not understand why Michael Martin was dropped. And I cannot understand why he was not brought on. Is he fully fit? The match was crying out for him. He is a player who can win hard ball and is very accurate. Eddie Hoare was exceptionally poor in the game and was surprised he lasted as long as he did. Cummins had some wides but at least he looked for the ball and was willing to have a go.

The timing of the Armstrong & Burke subs was surprising - Galway had a bit of momentum at that time, it was an odd time to be bringing on subs. Usually, youbring on players when the momentum is goind against you.

For the Tipp Match, I would like to see a team of:

Breathnach

O'Neill
    Hanley
    Moore

Bradshaw
    O'Donnell
    Varley

Flynn
    O'Currain

Lundy
    Conroy
    Kavanagh

Martin
    Walsh
    Cummins

Not many changes really. I am not sure the subs are there in the backs to improve things dramatically back there. I believe Martin has the potential to improve the forward line though.

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Round 4A

Cork v Sligo, O'Connor Park, Tullamore, 5pm
    Galway v Tipperary, O'Connor Park, Tullamore, 7pm

Live on Sky apparently.

There really is nothing to be satisfied about with that performance. If Galway begin to be satisifed with performances of that kind, then we will never improve.

I'm not satisfied in the slightest, quite depressed actually to have it hammered home how far off the top teams we are. But as I envisioned the reaction is very negative. We knew going into the game that our likely best chance of making the quarters was a qualifier and thats still the position we're in. With regard to yesterday im just being realistic. Had Kerry or Dublin beaten us in that fashion everyone would accept it as being outclassed. Sadly we have to start putting Mayo in that bracket of top tier opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

What really cost us was O'Neil being totally obliterated at the back, a huge amount of scores came directly through him being run ragged and unable to hold off his man. That combined with the terrible wides by Cummins in the first half, and the goal misses, probably lead to a combined swing of about 10 points. Now this doesn't gloss over the fact that Mayo were clearly the better side but I can help but feel that on a day with better finishing we could have given them a fright, especially if we could've held off those soft goals. Felt sorry for Hanley, he pretty much had to take of the entire full back line single handedly with no protection from any of his corner backs.

I don't want to fall into that hole of "kidding ourselves", being delusional about faint improvement or "happy about that performance" but there are some glimmers of hope emerging. Walsh got his first real taste of senior, as did Lundy, and they're likely to have come out of it much better off. Cummins I don't think is a clinical enough finisher (he's had plenty of time at this stage) and should be replaced by Armstrong against Tipp. Himself and Conroy did reasonably ok in the second half.

I think our biggest problems are the full back line and being mentally brittle. Very brittle. They kept fighting to an extent but I can't help feel that they never believed they could surprise Mayo. That really needs to be sorted before any real progress will be made (that and some corner backs).

Very left field opinion here and i could be talking complete nonsense, but would Cummins make into a better wing back? He has pace, good reading of the play and is tidy on the ball and tigerish in winning possession. The only thing letting him down these days is his finishing. I cant remember him ever playing there though. Even at underage and Jarlaths it was always corner forward

• Advertisement

I'm not satisfied in the slightest, quite depressed actually to have it hammered home how far off the top teams we are. But as I envisioned the reaction is very negative. We knew going into the game that our likely best chance of making the quarters was a qualifier and thats still the position we're in. With regard to yesterday im just being realistic. Had Kerry or Dublin beaten us in that fashion everyone would accept it as being outclassed. Sadly we have to start putting Mayo in that bracket of top tier opponent

Mayo are a top class team. But we knew that before the Connacht final. So I am not sure I get the point you are trying to make.

God help this Galway team if they come up against Dublin this year. Dublins forwards would just destroy us.

There were a couple of positives. Bradshaw did ok. Lundy was full of running. Hopefully, Walsh will have learned a lot from it. But the negatives far outwiegh the positives. They really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Some people on here are deluded.

Galway were so so far behind, physically, tactically everything last year it was just silly. We were never going to bridge that gap this year to Mayo. Mayo are a long way down the track in terms of conditioning, coaching etc, a road we are only starting on. The fact that we got within 7 points and showed a bit of spirit, a spirit that has been lacking for many years, is a positive.

Flynn and O Curraoin were always going to get wiped at midfield. Anyone again who bought the hype of the Sligo performance from them and the papers waxing lyrical are so naive. The 2 lads are way behind the O Sheas and Moran phyically and they were always going to be in for a tough time. The 2 lads also don't have the aggression required to battle with these lads. I hope that will come, I think it will with Flynn but FOC I highly doubt, he's just too soft.

I thought Kavanagh was poor when he came on and would much rather give someone like Mulryan a go. Kavangh wasn't exactly throwing himself into 50/50 ball. The 3rd goal could have been avoided if he had been fully committed.

Sean Armstrong for Eddie Hoare, John O Brien for Comer and leave the rest as it is. O Brien is a good man to pick up breaking ball and not afraid of a bit of rough and tumble.

We're very nearly as far behind and thinking otherwise is just fooling yourself. Mayo aren't as good as they were last year and still they strolled through yesterdays game.
    The lack of commitment yesterday was ridiculous. Take the first goal for instance. Keegan played a ball to o'connor who took o'neill on the endline. Meanwhile keegan sprinted 50m through 3 galway defenders to paw the pass into the next. 3 defenders, none of whom broke into a sprint, none of whom came across to o'connor to cut off the pass, none of whom came across to keegan. It was sheer laziness and lack of commitment.

5 minutes later a ball broke in front of hoare breaking to his right about 2 feet away. Did he dive on it claiming it as his, he did in his arse, he let it roll off without giving chase for a mayo man to pick up unchallenged.

If that performance is a step forward god help us because with an attitude like that running through the team changing personnel is just moving the deck chairs.

Some people on here are deluded.

Galway were so so far behind, physically, tactically everything last year it was just silly. We were never going to bridge that gap this year to Mayo. Mayo are a long way down the track in terms of conditioning, coaching etc, a road we are only starting on. The fact that we got within 7 points and showed a bit of spirit, a spirit that has been lacking for many years, is a positive.

Flynn and O Curraoin were always going to get wiped at midfield. Anyone again who bought the hype of the Sligo performance from them and the papers waxing lyrical are so naive. The 2 lads are way behind the O Sheas and Moran phyically and they were always going to be in for a tough time. The 2 lads also don't have the aggression required to battle with these lads. I hope that will come, I think it will with Flynn but FOC I highly doubt, he's just too soft.

I thought Kavanagh was poor when he came on and would much rather give someone like Mulryan a go. Kavangh wasn't exactly throwing himself into 50/50 ball. The 3rd goal could have been avoided if he had been fully committed.

Sean Armstrong for Eddie Hoare, John O Brien for Comer and leave the rest as it is. O Brien is a good man to pick up breaking ball and not afraid of a bit of rough and tumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

The half back line was dreadful and was the main reason for out failings in the first half. Mayo ensured that Galway did not win primary possession and their half forward line were so much sharper to the break. Kevin McLoughlin in particular won a lot of breaks.

Galway need to persevere with these midfielders. However, they need to learn that there is more to midfield play than winning high kick-outs.

In the half forward line, Lundy was excellent, probably Galway's best player. Kavanagh was better than Comer and should probably start the next day (although he should have won the ball for one of Mayo goals).

In the full forward line, I do not understand why Michael Martin was dropped. And I cannot understand why he was not brought on. Is he fully fit? The match was crying out for him. He is a player who can win hard ball and is very accurate. Eddie Hoare was exceptionally poor in the game and was surprised he lasted as long as he did. Cummins had some wides but at least he looked for the ball and was willing to have a go.

Not necessarily satisfied with the performance, but it was clear and definite improvement from 12 months ago. Similar improvement over the next year would have us level with Mayo!

HB line was very poor and offered a beleaguered FB line no protection. It suffers grievously by comparison with Mayo's which is maybe the best in the country.

Kavanagh not better than Comer; latter had to be replaced after a huge shoulder from Boyle,a shoulder that would have put Kavanagh in hospital. Comer's strength needed in HF line.

Martin would have been no addition, believe me. Nothing against the lad, but he wouldn't win hard ball and is too individualistic to link up with teammates around him, plus tries to score from < 50/50 positions. Cummins is great to show for the ball but his finishing was it's usual low standard yesterday sadly.
    Adrian Varley (best player Galway had in league debacle v Laois) or maybe Mulryan would be better options.

Despite raising eyebrows, Daithi Burke's inclusion is totally correct, he's a classy, big occasion player and I would start him the next day. It's up to the other panel members to up their efforts in training to try and displace him if they're good enough.

Mayo are a seriously strong physical team, but don't make the mistake of thinking that a team has to match them physically in order to beat them. Hurling counties thought the same thing re: KK until Clare came along last year and won the AI with a different template. Plus Mayo won't be around forever, nor will Dublin. Every team's time will come if they're good enough. Galway are a largely young, developing team, not yet in their prime, so give them a couple of years yet to get there.

Not necessarily satisfied with the performance, but it was clear and definite improvement from 12 months ago. Similar improvement over the next year would have us level with Mayo!

Really? Can we say with aboslutely certainty that was an improved performance? I dont think we can. Galway played with 13 men for a good chunk last year. I suspect if they had 2 players sent off yesterday, we would have easily seen a result similar to last years.
    Kavanagh not better than Comer; latter had to be replaced after a huge shoulder from Boyle,a shoulder that would have put Kavanagh in hospital. Comer's strength needed in HF line.

Well thats pure speculation. You dont know how Kavanagh would have reacted to a similar challenge. I felt Kavanagh got far more involved than Comer. Although, admittedly Comer wasnt on for very long. Not saying Kavanagh was particularly good. He was at fault for one of the Mayo goals.
    Martin would have been no addition, believe me. Nothing against the lad, but he wouldn't win hard ball and is too individualistic to link up with teammates around him, plus tries to score from < 50/50 positions. Cummins is great to show for the ball but his finishing was it's usual low standard yesterday sadly.
    Adrian Varley (best player Galway had in league debacle v Laois) or maybe Mulryan would be better options.

I agree that Martin can be far too 'individualistic'. Not really a bad trait for forwards sometimes. But that match on Sunday would have suited him. Kicking in high ball to the full forward line - I would have preferred to see Martin competing than Cummins or Varley. Havent seen a whole lot of Mulryan yet to be honest.
    Galway are a largely young, developing team, not yet in their prime, so give them a couple of years yet to get there.

This is a myth. The one brilliant prospect I see is Shane Walsh. None of the others really look like future all-ireland winners. Maybe the 2 midfielders might develop more when they get older. However, Galway have no potential number 6.. Is there anybody coming through that will replace Finian Hanley who now has a lot of years racked up at this level? [in a couple of years I mean - I dont wanna replace him now!]

We need to be tougher and sharper all round. Keegan's goal was shocking that he sprinted past that many galway players..he should have been put on his arse long before he got ther. Galway need to show some aggression and really dig into teams and not let themselves be bullied. Ball into the forwards was shocking all game and whenever we had a free we lost it straight away due to stupid decision making and conroy was culpable often. He needs to improve and show what all the hype is about. We need to play a sweeper the next day but i dont know who we could use because one has to be a very good reader. My team would be:
    Breathnach
    O Neil
    Hanley
    Moore
    Bradshaw
    Burke
    Varley
    Flynn
    O curraoin
    O brien
    Walsh
    Lundy
    Cummins
    Conroy
    Armstrong

Thought o Donnel was exposed yesterday and would like to see Burke given a chance. A Varley Martin decent subs to bring on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This is a myth. The one brilliant prospect I see is Shane Walsh. None of the others really look like future all-ireland winners. Maybe the 2 midfielders might develop more when they get older. However, Galway have no potential number 6.. Is there anybody coming through that will replace Finian Hanley who now has a lot of years racked up at this level? [in a couple of years I mean - I dont wanna replace him now!]

Agree with this. There are very few players in this Galway setup that are up to the standard required to be winning an All-Ireland and that's the reality of where we're at.

When you look at the players we had when we last won an All-Ireland, there's the standard that's required, and of the current panel how many would have been contenders for the starting 15 in 98-01? Hanley and Conroy maybe, but you're clutching at straws after that.

Shane Walsh in a couple of years time will hopefully be up to that level but for all his talent he's still very raw and his inexperience shows in some poor decision making. But with the right coaching he could develop into a top player as he certainly has the ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

€20 for a ticket for Tullamore is great value for the double-header. Looks like stand and terrace are the same price according to Tickets.ie

€20 for a ticket for Tullamore is great value for the double-header. Looks like stand and terrace are the same price according to Tickets.ie

Excellent, just bought stands for once. U16's in free too. Great value in the GAA at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Agree with this. There are very few players in this Galway setup that are up to the standard required to be winning an All-Ireland and that's the reality of where we're at.

When you look at the players we had when we last won an All-Ireland, there's the standard that's required, and of the current panel how many would have been contenders for the starting 15 in 98-01? Hanley and Conroy maybe, but you're clutching at straws after that.

Shane Walsh in a couple of years time will hopefully be up to that level but for all his talent he's still very raw and his inexperience shows in some poor decision making. But with the right coaching he could develop into a top player as he certainly has the ability.

Realistically, how many of the Galway players would make the Mayo team?

Maybe Hanley and Conroy.

Shane Walsh would. That's it then really.

Mulholland is doing a reasonably good job with a limited bunch of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I think we're being more negative than necessary with the footballers. In fairness this is our best championship since 2009. I believe Mulhollond should get another season or two. It wouldn't be fair for someone else to take credit down the line for his work now.

djPSB wrote: »
    Realistically, how many of the Galway players would make the Mayo team?

Maybe Hanley and Conroy.

Shane Walsh would. That's it then really.

Mulholland is doing a reasonably good job with a limited bunch of players.

With four Under-21 wins in a little over a decade surely there must be something wrong with the system if only three senior players are at the standard required. Maybe it's not Mulholland's fault but something must be going wrong somewhere in the county in terms of player development between Under 21 and senior level?

Beer is what's stopping the development between u21s and senior

With four Under-21 wins in a little over a decade surely there must be something wrong with the system if only three senior players are at the standard required. Maybe it's not Mulholland's fault but something must be going wrong somewhere in the county in terms of player development between Under 21 and senior level?

Well Meehan would still be there only for his injuries. Nicky Joyce should still be there only for a lack of interest in playing intercounty football. Really though there are very few left from 2002 and 2005. Really it's just 2011 and 2013 we are looking at and some of those lads are just not ready yet. Some are on the team but need longer to develop especially physically.

Some of the stand out players on those teams like Ian Burke and Cathal Mulryan were not even big lads at U-21 level so you can imagine what could happen if you threw them in against a big physical team like Mayo at this early stage. Even the two midfielders who are big tall lads are still quite skinny compared to the O'Shea's.

The teams that won underage titles were good 'teams' but didn't have any exceptional talents really.

Beer is what's stopping the development between u21s and senior

I definitely agree that the drink and craic culture in Galway and Limerick colleges, where the majority of our young hurlers and footballers go, is a major hindrance. Having experienced both to a significant degree I can hardly blame them. However its certainly a problem that will affect us more than most

djPSB wrote: »
    The teams that won underage titles were good 'teams' but didn't have any exceptional talents really.

Meehan.

And to be fair I would not write off the 2011 and 2013 teams just yet. A couple of them could develop into exceptional players but it will take time.

You look at someone like O'Curraoin who is quite similiar to Kevin Walsh in style of play. He just doesn't have Walsh's strength yet and Walsh only hit his stride after he reached 26/27.

Anybody have the line ups of each of those U21 winning teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Galway: M Breathnach; G Sweeney, C Forde, A Tierney; J Moore (0-2), J Duane, T Fahy; F Ó Curraoin, T Flynn; M Boyle (0-2), M Hehir (0-8), C Doherty (0-1); D Cummins (0-4), P Sweeney (1-0), E Monaghan (1-0). Subs: A Murphy, M Farragher, B Flaherty, C Silke

GALWAY: T Healy (Corofin); D Cunnane (St Michael’s), J Shaughnessy (Ballinasloe), M Loughnane (St Gabriel’s); P Varley (Cortoon), D Burke (Corofin), E Walsh (Moycullen); F Ó Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach), T Flynn (Athenry); C Mulryan (Cortoon), S Moran (Claregalway), D Comer (Annaghdown); S Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne), A Varley (Cortoon), I Burke (Corofin).
    Subs for Galway: C Rabbitte (Kilkerrin-Clonberne) for Moran (47); J Healy (Annaghdown) for Healy (inj 50); P Ezergailis (Moycullen) for Cunnane (54); G Kelly (Williamstown) for Burke, S Maughan (St Michael’s) for A Varley (both 59).

• Advertisement

All that said, Galway had a few players on the 1998 team who weren't exactly technically gifted footballers e.g. Divilly, Silke, O Domhnaill. They were surrounded by gifted players though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement