Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Who can come in if he goes though?

Whatever happens, the team needs to spend the winter in the gym and bulk up. They need to become mean as well, and learn how to tackle effectively. 3-14 against Mayo, 4-12 against Tipp, 1-20 yesterday. That's not acceptable. We coasted to a QF by beating 3 pretty poor teams. We never had a prayer yesterday, Kerry didn't have to get out of second gear. We are years behind the likes of Mayo, Dublin and Donegal in the conditioning stakes. Nice teams don't win All Irelands anymore, you have to be ruthless. And this team is just too nice.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Galway player level someone with a hard shoulder. I think it might have been Damien Burke in the Connacht final back in 2008. Too much of our tackling is of the weak arm variety where an arm is dangled out there in hope rather than expectation. Mayo obviously work hard at their tackling and they always try and strip the ball from the opponent and it creates a pile of turnovers.

The worst thing in the last 15 minutes yesterday was Kerry forwards having all day to kick over points with nobody within 5 yards of them and nobody closing them down with any real intensity.

I actually thought Bradshaw attacked with real purpose yesterday and was one of the only Galway players that wanted to make direct runs forward to slice open the Kerry defence but he just doesn't want to defend. Barry John Keane came on as a sub and kicked 0-3 from play with nobody within an asses roar of him. Pretty sure he was meant to be Bradshaw's man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

After seeing both games yesterday I do think we need a new management team. Have a feeling that the next in line is Tommy Joyce or Kevin Walsh. That Galway team has the makings of a potentially very good team but tactically it was tough to watch yesterday. For 10 minutes it was pot shots that they didn't have the confidence to score and short handpasses that the Kerry backs would've loved to have seen instead of movement off the ball. At the back all game it was a horror show but only when Keith Kelly came on for Joss Moore did it really show the full extent of how limited Galway are when it comes to defenders. Martin and Cummins just didn't look right out there and we needed them to have strong games.

Bradshaw just doesn't have any intentions of defending but he offers a lot in attack and was one of the few runners who caused hassle. Lundy was excellent and looks a great prospect. Thought Hanley had one of his better games in spite of O'Neill. Flynn could be one of the best midfielders in the country if he starts looking at taking points rather than short handpasses and this year he really has an eye for goal that you can tell he has worked on. Ó'Curraoin had good spells. Didn't think Moore was too bad either and it really showed when Kelly had a nightmare cameo. Comer was very impressive and Walsh was good when he got confidence back.

Healy can't really take a lot of flak. They didn't respond to the big breeze in the middle of the second half and Kerry won a lot of ball. He was on point for two good goal chances too.

I really agree that this is a side that is improving individually moreso than due to management but no doubt Mullholland took a side devoid of confidence and brought them on particularly for the Armagh win. Think Tipp are being under-rated a bit by a lot of folk in comparing them to Sligo or London. Tipp are no worse than the Wexford's, Westmeath's and Antrim's that have beaten supposedly good Galway sides in the last decade.

Depending if Mulholland stays or goes I wonder who the main candidates to take over would be? I'm sure Kevin Walsh would be one anyway. PJ has said he wants the job eventually but maybe a bit too early for him yet. An outside bet might be Tommy Joyce who has been producing extremely well drilled and coached Galway teams in the Ted Webb. I see his Galway north team romped to another Ted Webb final win on Monday over Roscommon by 1-18 to 1-7.

By the way Val Daly's sons are going to be some players. Both Michael and John look like tremendous talents. Michael's sending off against Mayo in the minor this year really hurt Galway he was the best player on the pitch up to then. John was fantastic for Galway north today in the Ted Webb. No doubt we'll be seeing more of them in the next few years. Both midfielders as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I don't like to personalise it but I thought Conroy was very poor yesterday, showing little, if any, composure (his point came when the game was essentially over). Didn't strike me as captain material.

I thought some of the backs showed very little intensity in the tackle as well. On a few occasions there was an opportunity to rip the ball away from the attacker, but the Kerryman prevailed.

Experience might bring the composure that may address the shooting issues we saw in the first half. The defensive issues are something much more fundamental however.

Just my 2c, this is an outsiders view.

Edit - just on Conroy - seemed to me to be more effective in a deeper role. What's his best position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

That was the most up and down Galway performance I can remember, but only 35 years shouting for them so I might be wrong.
    The first 15 minutes was like watching Mayo in the 90;s playing all the football but not having a clue how to score.
    Take a break so Kerry can rack up 11 or 12 point lead, then remember whats at stake and play 15 or 20 minutes of all Ireland winning football.
    Cool down again sure nobody ever thought we could get this far anyway.

Galway needs a manger who can turn these lads into champions .
    Kevin walsh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Kevin Walsh would seem like a sensible choice for Galway alright. I know there are plenty in Sligo who would argue against him but I think they were overestimating their team's ability and underestimating his input during his time in charge there. I have a feeling Mulholland will get another year if he wants one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Looks to be the bones of a potentially very good Galway team there. Young Talent.

Lundy(my Galway player of the year) Flynn, O'Curraoin, Comer, Walsh, Varley, Moore, O'Neill.

Before anyone says anything about the defenders listed above you must remember that our current style of play exposes our full back line horrendously. You could pick any top corner back from any county and he would struggle while playing for Galway. Too exposed.

Mulholland has done well in blooding these young guys but beyond that into the future I'm unconvinced about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Put Bradshaw at 12 and play him as a sweeper, tell your half backs to play like halfbacks should do primarily defending at least this way the corner backs have cover, get Sice back and put him at 5 and tell him to stay there!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

In Breathnach O Neill Flynn Lundy Walsh Cummins Comer we have players that have already showed their class at county level. O Neill was brilliant v Armagh last year and also kept brian Hurley quiet so he is definitely good enough despite having difficulties this year and Breathnach Flynn Cummins have shown that they are good players in their positions. Cummins though needs to work on his shooting but his speed and ball winning is top class. Lundy Walsh and comer have showed this year they are quality players Lundy has been terrific all year and could get an allstar nomination. Moore i think just needs more games but he is very promising and i think he will be fullback when Hanley retires. Thats a decent spine to the team and conroy of course also adds to it. I dont rate our wing backs at all because they cant defend. O Donnell has done well at centre back but maybe someone like Daithi Burke or Duane could do better? I think O Curraoin is very limited and doesn't do much else aside from compete for kickouts which is very difficult to be succesful at. He needs to work harder defensively and also add his game and skillset. He should look at the o Shea's and see how they have improved with their all round game and shooting. I think we'd be better off having a fast skilful player in there who can move the ball at pace pick up breaks and take a score also. Watching dublin Donegal and mayo, the top 3 teams in the country over the last 3 years, it is no coincidence they are succesful because they have smart kickout strategies and good movement and mobility at kickout time. It is vital that we learn from these teams and study what they do and how they do it because to be succesful we need a good kickout strategy so we can challenge the too teams. Kickouts and a half back line that can defend would be a priority for me. Dont think mullholland is the man to bring the team forward as he has done little in his 3 years. Thought the kerry performance was very poor and the players didnt look like they had left everything out on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Not to bad a show on Sunday, could be a tight scrap for the nestor next year with you Ros and the mayos all going well

• Advertisement

Mullholland hasn't really brought this team on at all in the last 3 years and hasn't done enough to warrant another term. If he doesn't want another term he should let the board know ASAP instead of dragging it out because we need a good search for the right replacement if he leaves and the more time the better. Regardless of who is in charge next year all the players should be put on a weights programme by the end of the month because they need to be bulked up by league time if we are to have any chance of promotion. Perhaps a little OTT but that is what it takes to be competitive at intercounty level.

Aren't they supposedly still due expenses? It's all well and good telling them bulk up but if they allegedly aren't getting the supplements and protein packs it'll be hard to achieve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Aren't they supposedly still due expenses? It's all well and good telling them bulk up but if they allegedly aren't getting the supplements and protein packs it'll be hard to achieve that?

Well nigh impossible to achieve I'd say if they don't have the correct regime in place.

You can be sure that Dublin have a top food scientist in their employ along with lots of funding for implementing their recommendations.

Dublin, Donegal, Mayo, Monaghan are seriously fit & physical teams. That didn't happen by accident!

Galway probably do not have the resources. That is one of the reasons we are where we are in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Naux wrote: »
    Well nigh impossible to achieve I'd say if they don't have the correct regime in place.

You can be sure that Dublin have a top food scientist in their employ along with lots of funding for implementing their recommendations.

Dublin, Donegal, Mayo, Monaghan are seriously fit & physical teams. That didn't happen by accident!

Galway probably do not have the resources. That is one of the reasons we are where we are in the pecking order.
    From what I believe it's all down to the purchase of the ill fated 100+ acres in Athenry that was earmarked for some sort of hurling centre of excellence. Huge money was paid for the land around '05-'06, but for reasons that we all now know the project never took off the ground. The co board now has to make interest only payments on monies borrowed to purchase the land, which is now only worth a fraction of what was originally paid for it (& nobody wants it anymore). At one stage there were rumours that the co board would be taken over by NAMA, but that never went anywhere. As a result of this misjudged investment, there's nowhere near enough money available to invest in co squads to ensure that we are able to compete. The truth of the matter is that most monies raised by the board now have to go to fund the loan, this ensuring our teams are ill prepared. Looks like any thoughts of future glory are merely a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

From what I believe it's all down to the purchase of the ill fated 100+ acres in Athenry that was earmarked for some sort of hurling centre of excellence. Huge money was paid for the land around '05-'06, but for reasons that we all now know the project never took off the ground. The co board now has to make interest only payments on monies borrowed to purchase the land, which is now only worth a fraction of what was originally paid for it (& nobody wants it anymore). At one stage there were rumours that the co board would be taken over by NAMA, but that never went anywhere. As a result of this misjudged investment, there's nowhere near enough money available to invest in co squads to ensure that we are able to compete. The truth of the matter is that most monies raised by the board now have to go to fund the loan, this ensuring our teams are ill prepared. Looks like any thoughts of future glory are merely a pipe dream.

Maybe Nama could come in and replace the county board, it would be worth the money and they would automatically know more about hurling and winning all Ireland's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Interesting that GBFM reports that the following have been nominated for the Hurling manager's job;

Brendan Lynskey (Hasn't he been involved before? Too inclined to lose the head IMHO)
    Mattie Kenny (After 2013, are they serious?)
    Anthony Cunningham (What's he going to do that's different?)
    Johnny Keane (May depend on U-21s progress - not gone on Keady's involvement BTW. May also be be too identified with Portumna for other club's liking)

A contest for the post is probably no harm but there isn't too much inspiration in that list. Nominators should probably think outside the box (county) a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

MfMan wrote: »
    Interesting that GBFM reports that the following have been nominated for the Hurling manager's job;

Brendan Lynskey (Hasn't he been involved before? Too inclined to lose the head IMHO)
    Johnny Keane (May depend on U-21s progress - not gone on Keady's involvement BTW. May also be be too identified with Portumna for other club's liking)

A contest for the post is probably no harm but there isn't too much inspiration in that list. Nominators should probably think outside the box (county) a bit.

should that be johnny kelly? i would definately not like to see him anyway involved!!!!

he had the u21s and intermediates last year very badly prepared!! even this years intermediates his tactics against cork were very poor....playing a sweeper in the first half when playing with the wind, then in the second half against the wind going man on man. the mind boggles!! he has a serious u21 outfit at his disposal this year, however with him incharge its hard to see them doing much unfortunately. With Portumna, everyone knows it was Dinny Cahill who made the changes in matches, and when they were going for 3 all irelands in a row he got rid of dinny so he could take all the credit - which backfired badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

donnem33 wrote: »
    should that be johnny kelly? i would definately not like to see him anyway involved!!!!

he had the u21s and intermediates last year very badly prepared!! even this years intermediates his tactics against cork were very poor....playing a sweeper in the first half when playing with the wind, then in the second half against the wind going man on man. the mind boggles!! he has a serious u21 outfit at his disposal this year, however with him incharge its hard to see them doing much unfortunately. With Portumna, everyone knows it was Dinny Cahill who made the changes in matches, and when they were going for 3 all irelands in a row he got rid of dinny so he could take all the credit - which backfired badly!

You're right, typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

What is the minor team like for sunday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

sporter1 wrote: »
    What is the minor team like for sunday ?

Next Sunday

Not exactly the most inspiring list you'll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Johnny Kelly (May depend on U-21s progress - not gone on Keady's involvement BTW. May also be be too identified with Portumna for other club's liking)

Would agree this list is far from inspirational. Lynskey was involved before under Ger Loughnane but himself and Michael Murray seemed to be just token selectors for carrying the water while Mulqueen was the right hand man. Also didn't enjoy much success with the u21s before as far as I can remember. Much as I respect all he did for Galway, he's not the right man for the job.

Mattie Kenny - Whoever nominated him are seriously off their head.

Anthony Cunningham - Won't even go to watch next year if they give him the job again

Johnny Kelly - Haven't heard anything too positive about him. Enjoyed success with Portumna but plenty of question marks over his candidacy. u21 performance last year was among the worst I've ever seen from a Galway u21 side.

Bottom line is we need to get serious about the future of Galway hurling. If we appoint any of these we will fall even further away from the top table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cunningham the best of that bunch.

No point replacing him unless there's someone better to replace him with.

djPSB wrote: »

apparently westmeath footballers are looking for him now aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

djPSB wrote: »

Agreed.

As much as I'd like to see Cunningham replaced, the candidates nominated so far would hardly be much of an improvement. We're going nowhere if that's the best they can do.

• Advertisement

Sure give cunningham the football job and mulholland the hurling job and we'll all be happy fresh faces in both camps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Sure give cunningham the football job and mulholland the hurling job and we'll all be happy fresh faces in both camps

i acutaly always taught that cunningham was a better candidate for the galway football job (better then mullholland in my opinion) for his work with garrycastle

Ya know the irony of that is the hurlers are struggling in attack and the footballers are struggling in defence so the switch could reap rewards :D

Looking like we won't get a change in the hurling, and if so not very inspiring alternatives.
    Sad state of affairs to see D2 Limerick make back to back semi finals compared to our two in nine years.
    It's a poor championship and a indictment on our set up to see year after year pass with little change in fortunes.
    No doubt Tipp will go close even though we should have hammered them.

So it's left to the footballers to bring brighter days next year, hopefully we see something more positive develop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Is john Allen available for the job a fine tactician,the players are there a bit of nous is what's needed

Meehan was playing for Caltra when they lost to S/K at the weekend and apparently had a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Meehan was playing for Caltra when they lost to S/K at the weekend and apparently had a great game.
    Great news. Hope he came through it ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Any word on hurling manager, Anthony Daly is getting a mention on the rumour mill

Best of luck to the minors against Limerick today. Hope there's a decent amount of us there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I said wrote: »
    Any word on hurling manager, Anthony Daly is getting a mention on the rumour mill

Doesn't sound like a match made in heaven to me

Shocking so far...can't be giving up near a point a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Yea, poor from galway, limerick way stronger.

What an embarrassment
    Don't think one player has even caught a ball yet.
    Having no provincial makes no difference here, the standard the past few years points to much deeper problems in development of key skills.

Don't want to be picking players out but the lad at 7 is the worst player I've seen in a while.
    He hasn't done anything yet and the writing was on the wall for Limericks 3rd or 4th point when being the closest man to the break he stood there and let the CB try to make a diving interception for the ball that ended up going over.

To go the other way, the best player on the pitch is probably Whelan....

Limerick have an actual game plan. Hitting in low ball to fwds, fwds moving into space. I'm struggling to see what galway are trying.

Galway are well off the pace and miles behind on tactical play. If we continue with such a terrible manager as Mattie Murphy we will never progress. We've won many minor all Ireland's on the basis of having strong individual players and getting straight into semis, nothing at all to do with decisions on the sideline or tactics. Its so blatently obvious that other teams are investing in underage and are getting left behind. Get rid of the clowns on the sideline.

jacko wrote: »
    Limerick have an actual game plan. Hitting in low ball to fwds, fwds moving into space. I'm struggling to see what galway are trying.

Galway are well off the pace and miles behind on tactical play. If we continue with such a terrible manager as Mattie Murphy we will never progress. We've won many minor all Ireland's on the basis of having strong individual players and getting straight into semis, nothing at all to do with decisions on the sideline or tactics. Its so blatently obvious that other teams are investing in underage and are getting left behind. Get rid of the clowns on the sideline.

They get into the quarters every year actually!!! There is also a very strong wind. This is a serious good strong well drilled limerick minor team aswell. I dont agree with you that it was just strong individual players when they won all ireland minors in the past...they were unbelievable teams!!

• Advertisement

What an embarrassment
    Don't think one player has even caught a ball yet.
    Having no provincial makes no difference here, the standard the past few years points to much deeper problems in development of key skills.

100% agree. The last 3 years the minor teams have been diabolical. They are doing their best and hate to be giving any grief to minor players but this performance highlights the fact that we are falling further and further behind. To concede 20 points before half time is an embarrassment.

donnem33 wrote: »
    They get into the quarters every year actually!!! There is also a very strong wind. This is a serious good strong well drilled limerick minor team aswell. I dont agree with you that it was just strong individual players when they won all ireland minors in the past...they were unbelievable teams!!

I think you've already pointed out the problem there, limerick are well drilled, why can't Galway be too??

jacko wrote: »
    I think you've already pointed out the problem there, limerick are well drilled, why can't Galway be too??

This is their fifth match. They have seen their players react to pressurised situations!!This is galways first meaningful match as such this year. its time the provincials were scraped and an open draw put in place.in that way all teams will be equal

Oh sweet lord....

For the second time in a few years we've brought on a sub in a big game in Croker and he's been wearing an old jersey.

Whatever someone thinks about my
    previous comment involving the performance being an embarassment, having lads playing on TV not even kitted out in the current gear IS an embarassment.

Thats twice in less than 5 years when I never saw it from any other county.
    The jersey is gone since 2011 :/

Two points in the last 20+ mins... Nice to see they went down with a fight.

one of my worst days ever watching a galway team in croke park. regretting coming today. hopefully the senior match next will be exciting!

mattie murphy has been a tremendous servant to galway hurling, but i think he should stand aside now and let someone else take over.

in saying that the result today is not too much of a surprise. that limerick team hammered galway in u16 level 2 years ago and they are highly fancied from the beginning of the year to go all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Galway have to come into Leinster now, current system doesn't make sense

Kkboy wrote: »
    Galway have to come into Leinster now, current system doesn't make sense

im not sure they would be welcome in leinster! they need to push for an open draw imo

First of all fair play to Limerick, the look to have got their act together at under-age level and there is real potential in that team.

However, from a Galway viewpoint, I think that is the worst Galway performance in any code in Croke Park in a long long time.

Massive re-evaluation needed as to where Galway hurling is at. If Tipp win today, we can go on deluding ourselves that we went out to the two All-Ireland finalists and aren't a million miles away but the reality is Galway is slipping further and further off the pace at all levels from underage up in the last few years.

Until we address this issue it'll be a very barren few years. It'll probably be another few years before we face reality by which stage we'll have slipped even further off the pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Thought some of the Leinster counties vetoed the move at underage.

Sould we have a Galway Colleges team?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement