Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I said wrote: »
    After that game today how far behind are the hurlers

A very long way behind. Yet, 2 years ago they drew with a KK team nearer to their prime. AI finals are for one year, not eternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

What are hurlers are missing is competition. I mean, seriously, what Galway man would have the balls to take off Joe Canning if he was having a bad day?? He was poor v Laoi this year and should have been hauled ashore but the manager team lacked the conviction required to do so.

Similarly Iarla Tannion with respect to him goes down with cramp after 55-60 minutes 90% of the time. Surely he would be best kept and brought in as a sub late in the first half/halt time and be able to play in the crucial closing minutes.

A strong management team is also required. Even if the money isn’t there to pay them surely there must be people around the county who would volunteer to coach each section i.e. forwards, backs, goalies.

Someone from outside the hurling ‘circle’ would be ideal, but whoever get’s the job needed to come in with a no nonsense attitude and not be afraid to make the hard decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

In general we are a long way behind and have huge issues to rectify at all levels within the county, thinking otherwise is deluded but having said that we had that Tipp side on the ropes in Thurles at the beginning of July but as usual failed to drive home our advantage and were swamped in the final quarter. Its no use talking now but having won that Tipp were able to build against limited opposition to get to the level they were at today.

The intensity today was huge and it was a memorable occasion but its not like 2009/2010 where Kilkenny and Tipp are miles out in front. There isn't much between most teams. The bar keeps rising. How Galway react over the winter will decide whether we can keep ourselves in the chasing pack or whether we will continue to slide away from the top table.

My main concern would be further down the food chain at underage level where we have produced a number of poor sides at minor and u21 in recent years.

On this issue, it was said that the new manager would be from Galway by the County Secretary but have heard a lot of rumours over the last number of days that the job is Anthony Daly's. I amn't in the know so don't know if there is any truth in them. Wouldn't be my ideal choice but given the list of candidates put forward for the job would probably be the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

In general we are a long way behind and have huge issues to rectify at all levels within the county, thinking otherwise is deluded but having said that we had that Tipp side on the ropes in Thurles at the beginning of July but as usual failed to drive home our advantage and were swamped in the final quarter. Its no use talking now but having won that Tipp were able to build against limited opposition to get to the level they were at today.

The intensity today was huge and it was a memorable occasion but its not like 2009/2010 where Kilkenny and Tipp are miles out in front. There isn't much between most teams. The bar keeps rising. How Galway react over the winter will decide whether we can keep ourselves in the chasing pack or whether we will continue to slide away from the top table.

My main concern would be further down the food chain at underage level where we have produced a number of poor sides at minor and u21 in recent years.

On this issue, it was said that the new manager would be from Galway by the County Secretary but have heard a lot of rumours over the last number of days that the job is Anthony Daly's. I amn't in the know so don't know if there is any truth in them. Wouldn't be my ideal choice but given the list of candidates put forward for the job would probably be the best option.

Not what I've been hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Do go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Yes enlighten us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Footballer manager nominations will be announced at lunchtime.

Kevin Walsh and Pete Warren announced as the nominees for the Football Manager position.

Co-managers maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

T0001 wrote: »
    Kevin Walsh and Pete Warren announced as the nominees for the Football Manager position.

Co-managers maybe?

Doubt either manager would go for that and personally wouldn't want it. The lack of candidates reflects what's thought of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

h2005 wrote: »
    Doubt either manager would go for that and personally wouldn't want it. The lack of candidates reflects what's thought of the job.

I dont think that's the case at all. A top 7-12 team thats very young and has room to improve, with a fanbase that expects little at present and a good club scene to work with. It's been obvious they wanted someone from inside the county from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I dont think that's the case at all. A top 7-12 team thats very young and has room to improve, with a fanbase that expects little at present and a good club scene to work with. It's been obvious they wanted someone from inside the county from the start
    Someone who won't cost too much? I think the club scene is quite poor. One of barna or Michaels will contest the county final. Neither of those would have a hope in the provincial matches. Corofin are strong the rest are average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Think this is Kevin Walsh's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Think this is Kevin Walsh's time.
    Yeah hope he gets it, but more importantly hope the county board gives him what he asks for when its needed.
    Sure the manger does it for the cause but there is no way in hell to turn a few handy young lads and there hobby into all Ireland champs anymore without spending money on there development.
    Kevin Walsh has most of our support I think .
    That's half the battle.

It looks like Kevin Walsh's job for the taking. Was really hoping there would be more competition for the job though.

Not convinced by Walsh as a manager but he has experience at inter-county level and knows the scene in Galway. Also I think everyone in the county has immense respect for him.

The key really is what sort of backroom team he puts together. The whole setup in Galway needs to go up a couple of levels if we are to try and take a step towards the current front runners.

In terms of the hurling, looks like the rumours I heard on Anthony Daly look to have little basis, looks like there will be 1 of the original 4 poor options chosen (probably Cunningham again!). Really couldn't give a toss which of the 4 of them get it. None of them are going to move Galway hurling forward. 2013 was a disaster, this year marginally better but I foresee relegation and an early championship exit next year with any of those 4 in charge. Harsh but its the reality we are facing.

It looks like Kevin Walsh's job for the taking. Was really hoping there would be more competition for the job though.

Not convinced by Walsh as a manager but he has experience at inter-county level and knows the scene in Galway. Also I think everyone in the county has immense respect for him.

The key really is what sort of backroom team he puts together. The whole setup in Galway needs to go up a couple of levels if we are to try and take a step towards the current front runners.

In terms of the hurling, looks like the rumours I heard on Anthony Daly look to have little basis, looks like there will be 1 of the original 4 poor options chosen (probably Cunningham again!). Really couldn't give a toss which of the 4 of them get it. None of them are going to move Galway hurling forward. 2013 was a disaster, this year marginally better but I foresee relegation and an early championship exit next year with any of those 4 in charge. Harsh but its the reality we are facing.

What is it about Walsh that leaves everybody so unconvinced? He did a decent job in Sligo. Presumably, he will have a deeper knowledge of football in Galway than he did in Sligo.

I have no idea if he will be good as Galway manager but he seems to be the clear standout candidate to me.

• Advertisement

What is it about Walsh that leaves everybody so unconvinced? He did a decent job in Sligo. Presumably, he will have a deeper knowledge of football in Galway than he did in Sligo.

I have no idea if he will be good as Galway manager but he seems to be the clear standout candidate to me.

He did ok with Sligo but it was a mixed bag. If you take out the victories over Galway it doesn't look too healthy. One win over a Mayo side going through a bad patch, losing the Connacht final to a poor Roscommon side after all the heavy lifting was done, some terrible hammerings in the qualifiers, a home defeat to Leitrim and away to London. He did win a Junior All-Ireland with them too I think.

Looking at Sligo this year, he probably hadn't a huge amount to work with but tactically I'm not convinced he's up to it.

When you see how Kerry have evolved their game under Eamonn Fitzmaurice it shows you that even the county with the most natural footballers have to adapt to the modern game to be successful.

Since we were looking just within Galway he probably is the standout candidate but when Pete Warren is the only other nomination it gives a fair reflection on the lack of options within the county.

He did ok with Sligo but it was a mixed bag. If you take out the victories over Galway it doesn't look too healthy. One win over a Mayo side going through a bad patch, losing the Connacht final to a poor Roscommon side after all the heavy lifting was done, some terrible hammerings in the qualifiers, a home defeat to Leitrim and away to London. He did win a Junior All-Ireland with them too I think.

Looking at Sligo this year, he probably hadn't a huge amount to work with but tactically I'm not convinced he's up to it.

When you see how Kerry have evolved their game under Eamonn Fitzmaurice it shows you that even the county with the most natural footballers have to adapt to the modern game to be successful.

Since we were looking just within Galway he probably is the standout candidate but when Pete Warren is the only other nomination it gives a fair reflection on the lack of options within the county.

I think this is what a lot of people overlook when they talk about his time in Sligo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think this is what a lot of people overlook when they talk about his time in Sligo!

Didn't Sligo almost beat Kerry in 2009 as well?

Interesting weekend in the club games locally. Tommie Larkins deservedly beat Clarenbridge who look at a real low ebb at the moment. If the draw goes against them next year I'd expect them to be in relegation trouble. Turloughmore had a strong 2nd half to beat Beagh. Killimordaly have been a surprise packet and beat Sarsfields in a local derby.

Portumna still look the obvious bet to win it. Don't think they are flawless by any means but just don't see enough in any of the contenders to believe they can stop them.

Q/F line up
    Gort v Killimordaly (Gort have improved as the year has progressed, don't rate their backline but should win this one relatively comfortably)
    Loughrea v Portumna (Loughrea keep coming back for more but lack the all round quality to beat Portumna)
    Tommie Larkins v Craughwell (Tight one to call, big chance for both these sides to advance, maybe Craughwell)
    Ardrahan v Turloughmore (Another tight one to call, Ardrahan have given Portumna some difficulty in the past and if they come though this will be difficult opponents, Turlough came through well today but lack the firepower at present but have improved significantly since Tony Considine was ousted)

In the relegation games Pearses beat Thomas' who are in trouble now. They may still get out of trouble but 18 months on from an All-Ireland win and it looking like they'd be a serious player in Galway for years to come they are deservedly in trouble, have lost to 3 fairly poor/average teams already this year. Castlegar edged out Kiltormer in the other game. It's going to be difficult to avoid relegation this year, there is no team out of their depth like Moycullen were last year in the 6 teams involved.

In Intermediate football, Killanin and Moycullen have come through to meet in the final should be a keenly fought local derby.

Nothing next weekend and then games in both hurling and football the following weekend, probably nearly all on the Sunday with the replay of the All-Ireland on the Saturday. Looking like Corofin and Portumna. It'd be great if someone new came through but its looking unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 edrof

Interesting weekend in the club games locally. Tommie Larkins deservedly beat Clarenbridge who look at a real low ebb at the moment. If the draw goes against them next year I'd expect them to be in relegation trouble. Turloughmore had a strong 2nd half to beat Beagh. Killimordaly have been a surprise packet and beat Sarsfields in a local derby.

Portumna still look the obvious bet to win it. Don't think they are flawless by any means but just don't see enough in any of the contenders to believe they can stop them.

Q/F line up
    Gort v Killimordaly (Gort have improved as the year has progressed, don't rate their backline but should win this one relatively comfortably)
    Loughrea v Portumna (Loughrea keep coming back for more but lack the all round quality to beat Portumna)
    Tommie Larkins v Craughwell (Tight one to call, big chance for both these sides to advance, maybe Craughwell)
    Ardrahan v Turloughmore (Another tight one to call, Ardrahan have given Portumna some difficulty in the past and if they come though this will be difficult opponents, Turlough came through well today but lack the firepower at present but have improved significantly since Tony Considine was ousted)

In the relegation games Pearses beat Thomas' who are in trouble now. They may still get out of trouble but 18 months on from an All-Ireland win and it looking like they'd be a serious player in Galway for years to come they are deservedly in trouble, have lost to 3 fairly poor/average teams already this year. Castlegar edged out Kiltormer in the other game. It's going to be difficult to avoid relegation this year, there is no team out of their depth like Moycullen were last year in the 6 teams involved.

In Intermediate football, Killanin and Moycullen have come through to meet in the final should be a keenly fought local derby.

Nothing next weekend and then games in both hurling and football the following weekend, probably nearly all on the Sunday with the replay of the All-Ireland on the Saturday. Looking like Corofin and Portumna. It'd be great if someone new came through but its looking unlikely.

I think Craughwell and Turoughmore will win their QF's and Portumna will do well to get past Loughrea. I reckon Craughwell will be County Champions this year.

• Advertisement

Loughrea wasted a lot of ball and had at least 3 goal shots saved, so could have finished with 3-25+ really, I don't think there're goinfg to be pushovers. They're gunning for the win this year after a few years of playing the bridesmaids.

Portumna are nowhere near the level there were at when they won the all-ireland. I know there trying to equal Ballyhale's record of 5 AI's this year but I think it's going to be a miss. Some of their 'experienced' forwards fumbled the ball alot on Saturday and wasted alot of hard fought possession.

Q/F line up

Milltown had a good win over Salthill so maybe they will put it up to Corofin? Cant see Michaels / Barna beating the winner of Milltown / Corofin in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Peter Warren is the unsexy, smart choice. Continues to prove himself at club level even last weekend. Walsh's 'time'? Ha.

edrof wrote: »
    I think Craughwell and Turoughmore will win their QF's and Portumna will do well to get past Loughrea. I reckon Craughwell will be County Champions this year.

Really? Is Niall Healy back from injury yet?

I'd take them to edge out Tommy Larkins but Beagh who are a small club have beaten them twice this year.

Only saw them once this year against Turloughmore and can't say I saw them as potential county champions that day. Haven't really made much of a run at it for a few years. Remember them being beaten comfortably by Clarenbridge in a semi-final a few years back but can't remember them making much of an impact apart from that.

Have a scattering of good players but I'd be doubtful they have the all round quality but maybe they do.

If they hit top form in the run in who knows. Would be welcome to see new champions.

Milltown had a good win over Salthill so maybe they will put it up to Corofin? Cant see Michaels / Barna beating the winner of Milltown / Corofin in the final.

They may put it up to Corofin. They ran Corofin to 3 points last year but think they played almost as well as they could in that game and Corofin were still relatively comfortable.

This is Milltown's 3rd shot at Corofin in a semi-final in recent years. With the likes of Diarmuid Blake and Darren Mullahy (even James Kavanagh) coming towards the end and no underage coming through worth talking about its now or never for Milltown.

Barna and St. Michael's have done very well to get to the semi-finals and would give a game to most teams in the county but if they were to meet Corofin either of them would be overwhelmed.

They may put it up to Corofin. They ran Corofin to 3 points last year but think they played almost as well as they could in that game and Corofin were still relatively comfortable.

This is Milltown's 3rd shot at Corofin in a semi-final in recent years. With the likes of Diarmuid Blake and Darren Mullahy (even James Kavanagh) coming towards the end and no underage coming through worth talking about its now or never for Milltown.

Barna and St. Michael's have done very well to get to the semi-finals and would give a game to most teams in the county but if they were to meet Corofin either of them would be overwhelmed.

Would be nice to see somebody beat Corofin though!

Would be nice to see somebody beat Corofin though!

It would, but just can't see it. They could feasibly field 2 strongish teams at Senior level if they put their mind to it. Their structure, coaching system and production line now means that they could probably have competed in any era, but their sheer dominance over the past decade or more shows how dreadfully poor club football has become in the county and has had a corresponding knock-on effect on the county team.

MfMan wrote: »
    It would, but just can't see it. They could feasibly field 2 strongish teams at Senior level if they put their mind to it. Their structure, coaching system and production line now means that they could probably have competed in any era, but their sheer dominance over the past decade or more shows how dreadfully poor club football has become in the county and has had a corresponding knock-on effect on the county team.

Yes, it is hard to see but there are some good players in that Milltown team, the Blakes, Mullahy, Kavanagh, Martin, Hehir all have inter-county experience.

Peter Warren is the unsexy, smart choice. Continues to prove himself at club level even last weekend. Walsh's 'time'? Ha.

I wouldnt agree with that. Warren has been involved before and during those times, some players were included that he had connections with when it was apparent to everybody else that they were not up to standard. Also, Warren stated in one of the local papers that he is unsure if he actually wants the job. If he is unsure at this point, I'd rather give it to somebody who is sure they want the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Syferus wrote: »
    We don't want a sexy manager just a good one who will dedicate his time and knowhow to Galway football, because it means something (or a lot ) to him.
    Peter Warren is a fine choice if he has the time to throw himself into the job 100% and I find him every bit as sexy as Kevin Walsh.
    Although no Meg Ryan but for all her qualities she is not the best manager for Galway football. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pete Warren has pulled out today. Leaving K Walsh as the only man standing.

• Advertisement

Here are the preliminary draws for the League next year.

Hurling

R1/H/Clare
    R2/A/Tipperary
    R3/H/Kilkenny
    R4/H/Cork
    R5/A/Dublin

Teams they need Home Advantage against are sorted with exception of Tipp, and I think they should over-come Dublin.

Football

R1/H/Meath
    R2/A/Westmeath
    R3/H/Laois
    R4/A/Down
    R5/H/Cavan
    R6/A/Roscommon
    R7/H/Kildare

Not too bad. 4 games at home for the footballers, plus 2 of the aways are within easy enough reach for supporters; a good enough springboard for the new management team and their sine qua non of promotion to Division 1.

Hurlers ok too; Tipp away won't be easy but they *may* still be in the throes of celebration and not too bothered.

Hopefully Pearse stadium will still be out of commission for the league, further assisting both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Yeah, the footballers to make progress would want be pushing for the top half of D1, I think there is great potential there to put a bit of pride back in the jersey. We still sit as the third most successful county behind Kerry and Dublin when it comes to All Ireland wins and I'm sure we can add to it in the coming years. When a Galway football team gets on a roll, there is no stopping them!

As for the hurlers, they haven't won an All-Ireland in 26 years and have only won 4 in total history. With those kind of stats I can't see how they could justify putting the county 4 million in debt for their fantasy 'school of pathetic-ness'.

......Pearse Stadium is a disaster of a place, the football fans don't even bother any more. You'd find more support at the one league match that Tuam gets in a year. It's the heartland of Galway football and a disgrace that it hasn't been renovated considering all the history and good memories. Oh yeah, sure I forgot, the hurlers spent all the pennies on a bog in Athenry...... and they still haven't won anything.

Here are the preliminary draws for the League next year.

Hurling

R1/H/Clare
    R2/A/Tipperary
    R3/H/Kilkenny
    R4/H/Cork
    R5/A/Dublin

Teams they need Home Advantage against are sorted with exception of Tipp, and I think they should over-come Dublin.

Football

R1/H/Meath
    R2/A/Westmeath
    R3/H/Laois
    R4/A/Down
    R5/H/Cavan
    R6/A/Roscommon
    R7/H/Kildare

Not bad at all. With Donegal and Monaghan gone up, division 2 isn't as strong in 2015, we have 4 games at home and the away games aren't too bad. No daunting game there but no guaranteed points either. A win over Meath and things start to open up. Division 1 is significantly stronger and imo for Galway the next step has to be promotion to division 1. I'd be disappointed if we aren't at least in the shake up heading into the final game.

For the hurlers 3 home games is an advantage, we'll have to see where we are at by then. Long way down the road but Clare first up looks a big game. Clare will be out to show their credentials in 2015 from the off. A win there would take the pressure off, lose the first game and we could easily be 0 from 3 and facing relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭biscuits1988

On the off-chance that Pearse is still unavailable, where would the hurlers home games be played? I'm assuming Ballinasloe but any chance of getting one of them in Kenny Park I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

FlashR2D2 wrote: »

......Pearse Stadium is a disaster of a place, the football fans don't even bother any more. You'd find more support at the one league match that Tuam gets in a year. It's the heartland of Galway football and a disgrace that it hasn't been renovated considering all the history and good memories. Oh yeah, sure I forgot, the hurlers spent all the pennies on a bog in Athenry...... and they still haven't won anything.

Something like this http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/liechtenstein/vaduz_rheinpark.shtml

or this

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/france/picardie/amiens_licorne.shtml

is what should be built in Tuam and most counties for that matter and play out a high quality league with great atmosphere. Pearse Stadium was a dead duck before it ever opened. McDonaghs vanity project

The hurling home games will be played in Kenny Park for the duration of the National League with the Football home game sbeing played in Tuam Stadium for the duration of the National League. For the hurlers Ballinasloe would be a better option especially convienient for the visitors not having to travel to Athenry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

In my view Tuam Stadium to Galway is like Croke Park to Dublin or Fitzgerald Stadium to Kerry. There's the tradition and pride there that inevitably lifts players. I'd say many Galway footballers feel like they are playing an away game in Pearse Stadium. The Galway footballers should just abandon Pearse Stadium altogether and leave it to the hurlers.

realweirdo wrote: »
    In my view Tuam Stadium to Galway is like Croke Park to Dublin or Fitzgerald Stadium to Kerry. There's the tradition and pride there that inevitably lifts players. I'd say many Galway footballers feel like they are playing an away game in Pearse Stadium. The Galway footballers should just abandon Pearse Stadium altogether and leave it to the hurlers.

Hurlers don't particularly want it either - tried to have a couple of their league games earlier in the year moved to Athenry, thing it was actually the Connacht council that vetoed it. No accident that the footballers survived in Division 2, moving their 2 games to Tuam paid off in spades.

I wouldn't like to see Pearse go into decline as it did before as it's a decent enough venue with a fine stand in itself, but location plus a surface unsuitable (for the moment) for hurling mitigates against it.

• Advertisement

Here we are givin' out about management and only across the border Davy has managed to loose 3 great hurlers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

MfMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see Pearse go into decline as it did before as it's a decent enough venue with a fine stand in itself, but location plus a surface unsuitable (for the moment) for hurling mitigates against it.

I think they should let it go, divert the cash into slowly renovating two modest grounds over a long term plan, ( Tuam definately for the footballers, Athenry or Ballinasloe for the hurlers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The hurling home games will be played in Kenny Park for the duration of the National League with the Football home game sbeing played in Tuam Stadium for the duration of the National League. For the hurlers Ballinasloe would be a better option especially convienient for the visitors not having to travel to Athenry

The playing surface in Athenry is far superior to Ballinasloe though, so that was probably a factor. Athenry is also as close to most hurling strongholds as Ballinasloe is, but crucially is much closer to any fans who want to travel out from Conemara or the city.

If only Pearse Stadium had been rezoned and sold in the bubble, we'd have been in the money and been able to develop the other stadiums. As it is, Athenry is a good venue for club games if its a dry day. A half arsed development began in Tuam before the arse fell out of it. Again ok for club games and league games. I was in Ballinasloe for the first time in a few years late last year and to say its been let go downhill is an understatement. The pitch is still reasonably good but in terms of spectators its a disaster.

Really all those who gave the go ahead for Pearse Stadium to be re-developed should be ashamed of themselves. If someone was looking for permission to build a shed around there they'd make them jump through ridiculous hoops but this was rammed through with no concern as to how it might be a viable entity. The stadium itself is ok but the facilities around the stadium aren't suitable and no plan has been put in place on big match days to try and make it suitable.

With all the politics involved in this I don't think we'll ever get a satisfactory resolution to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Here we are givin' out about management and only across the border Davy has managed to loose 3 great hurlers!

true but in fairness cathal mac and sean collins would probably make a bigger impact playing football then hurling ,in terms of football on his day cathal is as good a forward as you would find anywhere , and while he is a very good hurler he has being finding it tough going trying to nail down a full time position with the hurlers

podge was never going to chose hurling on its own , not after the scapegoating he got all year not just from davy but from the likes of the sunday game and raido annalists which his father was furious about , and i doubt he was too happy himself about it

sean had played for the footballlers for a number of years before giving hurling a go, good hurler and on the basis of his club fourm this year he would be pushing for a starting place next year , i think you could take elements of both podge and cathals reasoning's for his own decision in choosing football

Pearse Stadium should never have been re-developed. Tuam should have been the one re-developed at the time but we are where we are now. People argued at the time that it would promote GAA in the city which was supposedly the main reason it was developed instead of Tuam. There could be an argument that this has actually happened as you have both St. James & St. Michaels in far better places than they were at the beginning of the 00's.

I dont really see the merits of putting money into Tuam now that Pearse is there. I think that any money into Tuam should be put players facilities (there have been well documented problems with dressing rooms etc.).

Do not forget that people in charge of Tuam stadium actually made their ground worse by demolishing the terrace the town side of the stand. That was the best location to watch a match and most spectators used to congregate there. So Tuam are every bit to blame with the current situation as anybody who advocated Pearse at the time.

Unfortunately, the scope of developing Tuam is now much more limited than it was 10/15 years ago. There are now houses directly behind the side opposite the stand and behind the Corofin end. So you only have scope at the town end and where the current stand is. I doubt that would allow enough space to create anything better than Pearse.

Sure, you can argue that attendances would be better for football matches in Tuam. I have no doubt that they would be slightly better. But not significant enough to pump millions into some re-development project. I think county finals should definitely be played in Tuam (more often than not, the teams are from around the Tuam area) but Pearse should be used for inter-county championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Pearse Stadium should never have been re-developed. Tuam should have been the one re-developed at the time but we are where we are now. People argued at the time that it would promote GAA in the city which was supposedly the main reason it was developed instead of Tuam. There could be an argument that this has actually happened as you have both St. James & St. Michaels in far better places than they were at the beginning of the 00's.

I dont really see the merits of putting money into Tuam now that Pearse is there. I think that any money into Tuam should be put players facilities (there have been well documented problems with dressing rooms etc.).

Do not forget that people in charge of Tuam stadium actually made their ground worse by demolishing the terrace the town side of the stand. That was the best location to watch a match and most spectators used to congregate there. So Tuam are every bit to blame with the current situation as anybody who advocated Pearse at the time.

Unfortunately, the scope of developing Tuam is now much more limited than it was 10/15 years ago. There are now houses directly behind the side opposite the stand and behind the Corofin end. So you only have scope at the town end and where the current stand is. I doubt that would allow enough space to create anything better than Pearse.

Sure, you can argue that attendances would be better for football matches in Tuam. I have no doubt that they would be slightly better. But not significant enough to pump millions into some re-development project. I think county finals should definitely be played in Tuam (more often than not, the teams are from around the Tuam area) but Pearse should be used for inter-county championship matches.

People lose their will to live travelling in and out of Galway 5 days a week. The last thing anyone wants to do is head back in on a saturday or sunday to watch a match especially in the wet and wind of salthill to watch games that are barely watchable due to the weather and watch the tumble weeds roll by in a stadium that was designed for the once in 5yr sell out against mayo in a CFinal.

If there was a nice 8-10,000 seater stadium in tuam with nice facilities and some half time kiosks I could see the place having 5 or 6,000 at league games regularly. I think most fathers would love to take their kids and have a day out on a sunday that would be atmospheric, entertaining and comfortable unlike what most counties serve up which is miserable, hypothermic, endurance events where both the fare on offer to both the players and the fans is sub standard.

threeball wrote: »
    People lose their will to live travelling in and out of Galway 5 days a week. The last thing anyone wants to do is head back in on a saturday or sunday to watch a match especially in the wet and wind of salthill to watch games that are barely watchable due to the weather and watch the tumble weeds roll by in a stadium that was designed for the once in 5yr sell out against mayo in a CFinal.

If there was a nice 8-10,000 seater stadium in tuam with nice facilities and some half time kiosks I could see the place having 5 or 6,000 at league games regularly. I think most fathers would love to take their kids and have a day out on a sunday that would be atmospheric, entertaining and comfortable unlike what most counties serve up which is miserable, hypothermic, endurance events where both the fare on offer to both the players and the fans is sub standard.

Yeah, I could see potential for a development like that there. And I think Tuam should have more league matches.

The problem is I doubt Tuam would ever do a small development like that. They will continue as it is in the hope that one day, they will get the big championship games back from Pearse. I think those days are gone. I would love to see 30000 people in Tuam for a Galway - Mayo match. Many of my favourite childhood days were going to Tuam for those matches. I loved it. But I can never see it happening again in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Surely the 8-10,000 development would have been in Galway at Pearse Stadium and the 30,000 stadium in Tuam.

It seems the powers that be in Galway have or had no real concept of the traditions of Galway football.

The heartland of Galway football for most of its history is in the North-East centred around Tuam. The city has really no tradition worth talking about.

realweirdo wrote: »
    Surely the 8-10,000 development would have been in Galway at Pearse Stadium and the 30,000 stadium in Tuam.

It seems the powers that be in Galway have or had no real concept of the traditions of Galway football.

The heartland of Galway football for most of its history is in the North-East centred around Tuam. The city has really no tradition worth talking about.

Thats what should have happened. But we are where we are. And thats lumbered with a 30000 stadium in Pearse thats a nightmare to get to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Really all those who gave the go ahead for Pearse Stadium to be re-developed should be ashamed of themselves. If someone was looking for permission to build a shed around there they'd make them jump through ridiculous hoops but this was rammed through with no concern as to how it might be a viable entity. The stadium itself is ok but the facilities around the stadium aren't suitable and no plan has been put in place on big match days to try and make it suitable.

With all the politics involved in this I don't think we'll ever get a satisfactory resolution to this.

Yuan has worse facilities around the ground than pearse and a worse route network to the ground

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement