Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

And the county final hammering that everyone feared duly came to pass. Our football championship is so poor at the moment and it's little wonder that the fortunes of the county team have plummeted in recent years when you see the dire state of our club championship.

Corofin a pretty good team but they lack a real marquee forward and they do tend to get found out once they meet better opposition outside of Galway,, even though they brush their hapless Galway opponents aside with ridiculous ease.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And the county final hammering that everyone feared duly came to pass. Our football championship is so poor at the moment and it's little wonder that the fortunes of the county team have plummeted in recent years when you see the dire state of our club championship.

Corofin a pretty good team but they lack a real marquee forward and they do tend to get found out once they meet better opposition outside of Galway,, even though they brush their hapless Galway opponents aside with ridiculous ease.

After watching the Mayo county final yesterday, I don't think things are as bad as we make out.

Castlebar made two consecutive Mayo finals, they haven't got any decent forwards either.
    In fact some of the misses from them and even Ballintubber yesterday was bordering on embarrassing.
    Their first half game plan was to balloon balls from the 45 -65 towards the goal and hope for the best.

Also Corofin should have beat them last year, just completely fell apart when they should have been out of sight.
    Given Castlebar could have won the AI final bar some dreadful defensive play(similar to the final yesterday) giving up soft goals, maybe Corofin aren't a million miles away.

I'd have agreed on the forward comment until this year, Lundy has proven himself to be a top player.
    In 2013, that was definitely the case, they hadn't any 'established' forwards of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

aidan24326 wrote: »

In fairness I think the quality of Corofin's forwards is a bit better than it used to be. Sice, Lundy, Ian and Justin Burke, Michael Farragher. A few years ago they relied on Alan O'Donovan for 80% of their scores.

I think their improvement up front is reflected in the hammerings they've been doling out as well. Granted the opposition may not be fantastic but they are really putting teams away emphatically.

As someone already said they should have had Castlebar dead and buried last year but missed a mountain of chances when completely on top. Once the momentum switched though they couldn't reverse it. They look stronger this year so they will be a very tough ask for anyone in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Brigid's will win that Connacht title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Best of luck to Corofin from here on in but while they are a good side, well drilled and are serious about their footaball, they aren't All-Ireland contenders. However, they are by a country mile the best team in a frankly dire Galway football championship.

After Corofin its hard to pick who would be number 2. I honestly think St. Michael's did very well but overachieved and are unlikely to be back again. St. James' fell back this year. Salthill-Knocknacarra went even further back this year. Tuam Stars have gone back into the pack after a couple of good years. Milltown will be down and out for a long time again I'd bet. Caherlistrane and Annaghdown lost to Barna and St. Michaels. Killererin came within one game of relegation. Don't think I'm leaving anyone out.

Mountbellew-Moylough winning the minor yesterday was a welcome development. They put in two reasonably respectable performances against Corofin without ever troubling them. With some good young talent coming through they might be the next team to challenge but it could take a couple of years.

Corofin to remain champions by default for another couple of years at least I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think Corofin certainly are capable of going a long way in the All-Ireland series.

They really took their eye off the ball against Castlebar last year. They should have won that match pulling up, but lost concentration and I think it could have a lot to do with being all out for revenge against Brigids after the refereeing farce the year before (and I'm from Roscommon).

Considering what Brigids and Castlebar did after defeating Corofin both years, it's not exactly a stretch to see Corofin going all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Best of luck to Corofin from here on in but while they are a good side, well drilled and are serious about their footaball, they aren't All-Ireland contenders. However, they are by a country mile the best team in a frankly dire Galway football championship.

After Corofin its hard to pick who would be number 2. I honestly think St. Michael's did very well but overachieved and are unlikely to be back again. St. James' fell back this year. Salthill-Knocknacarra went even further back this year. Tuam Stars have gone back into the pack after a couple of good years. Milltown will be down and out for a long time again I'd bet. Caherlistrane and Annaghdown lost to Barna and St. Michaels. Killererin came within one game of relegation. Don't think I'm leaving anyone out.

Mountbellew-Moylough winning the minor yesterday was a welcome development. They put in two reasonably respectable performances against Corofin without ever troubling them. With some good young talent coming through they might be the next team to challenge but it could take a couple of years.

Corofin to remain champions by default for another couple of years at least I'd imagine.

Why do you think this Corofin team are not AI contenders? It would be interesting to see your argument as to why they are not.

I suspect we could be in for a period of dominance from Corofin that is similar to Crossmaglen in Armagh.

Corofin are a far superior team to what they were during the last few years. Their forward play in particular has improved. A few years ago, they relied on O'Donavan and had to play some backs in their forwards to improve things up there (I remember both Burkes playing there, I think I recall Michael Comer playing a match in the forwards too but could be wrong on that). But the emergence of some young players like Lundy, Ian Burke, Farragher has really turned things around for them. Then you add in some experience like Kieran Fitzgerald, Alan Burke. I think you have to consider them AI contenders. The one thing about Corofin is that their bench is pretty much as strong as their first team. At the semi final, their corener forward goes off injured and Ian Burke comes on! Connacht club is quite strong though in that Corofin, Brigids & Ballintubber should all be considered AI contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Have not seen them play this, so would like ask what their midfield like?
    I would think they have a good chance of doing well in the provincial and AI.
    Other semi in the Junior on next sunday to see who plays the Aran Islands in the final.

wonder88 wrote: »
    Have not seen them play this, so would like ask what their midfield like?

Midfield for Corofin is Ronan Steede and Daithi Burke. Two good players in fairness although not particularly big by midfield standards.

• Advertisement

Quite simply I just don't think Corofin have the quality in key positions to go the whole way.

They work hard as a unit and are well drilled but I don't believe Castlebar beating them last year was a fluke. They just weren't good enough. They haven't the firepower at the top level, plenty of good forwards who work hard but no-one you'd hang your hat on delivering key scores on a big day. Also, the back line will undoubtedly concede goals against better opposition.

I wish them well and hope to be proved wrong.

Good luck to Killannin at the weekend as well. Wonder will Kevin Walsh make another guest appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

megadodge wrote: »
    I think Corofin certainly are capable of going a long way in the All-Ireland series.

They really took their eye off the ball against Castlebar last year. They should have won that match pulling up, but lost concentration and I think it could have a lot to do with being all out for revenge against Brigids after the refereeing farce the year before (and I'm from Roscommon).

Considering what Brigids and Castlebar did after defeating Corofin both years, it's not exactly a stretch to see Corofin going all the way.

Didnt Brigids lose to Garrycastle after defeating Corofin? Castlebar were paired against the overrated Dr crokes to reach the AI however now the Connacht winner play the Leinster winner in semi final and that could be the defending AI champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swSqkLV3HkQ

Excellent effort from Eddie Hoare!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

The Leinster council are voting tonight on the application of the inclusion of the Galway minor and u21 hurlers into the Leinster Championship.

I hope it is successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Cunningham has shot himself in the foot the past two years.

There was two golden opportunities for All-Irelands or final appearances in 2013 and 2014.

Beat Clare: Limerick didn't turn up for the semi final, writing was on the wall when a free from 30 yards out in front was sent wide.
    Cork in the final who we've beat the last few times.

Beat Tipp: Dublin never showed up, even an average Galway performance would have sufficed that day and Galway would have hurt Cork the same way Tipp did, through the central positions... Glynn would have had a field day.
    Shot at KK then for the AI.

The biggest mistake in 2014 was the lack of pace.... he was sending out teams with ONE pacy player... Johnny Coen.
    That means: less blocks, hooks.... and getting blocked/hooked more.

Also when you've Canning and Glynn who can command a double team or guarantee a breaking ball the most important thing to have playing in the two corners are natural corners who are used to foraging for that ball... instead he sent out players like Flynn :confused:.

Having seen Mannion in the U21 game, he was the only one to put up a full 70 minute performance and looked quicker out the field.
    I've been critical of him but maybe the corner just wasn't his position and he could excel at midfield or the likes.

Granted we haven't much coming through of serious note, we still have the spine of a team capable of winning an AI.
    The most important thing is building a team and plan to compliment our strengths i.e Canning and Glynns ball winning ability.... add two D.Hayes type corners to the FF line and they'll get goals.

I agree with parts of this and I like your optimism anyway, we're far too negative about our hurlers here in Galway (although in fairness they give us a lot to be negative about at times!)

I've been saying this for the past 2 years now, why did we rip up the template we had in 2012? Clare won a bloody All Ireland playing the same style the following year! By this I mean effectively playing with 2 centre backs and then getting a corner forward to rove around the middle. Play 2 inside but keep switching them to confuse the defenders. In 2012 Tan was superb in the defensive midfield role and Tony Og was solid sitting deeper. And Hayes had a great year roving around everywhere.. Then in 2013 they don't even give Ogie a chance and barely pick Hayes at all either.

But anyway it's 2 years later now and Hayes and Tony Og's day is gone now. But we have a better centre back now in Daithi Burke, so put him in there and let him play relatively deep, put Tan back sweeping in front of him and let maybe Mannian and Breheny play in the middle of the field, I think in this day and age two very mobile midfielders are needed as they need to help out the backs and chip in with scores and link play up front. Those 2 fit that bill. Having the second centre back there will do a lot to shore up our extraordinarily leaky defence which hasn't looked good since 2012 when we played this exact tactic.

Then since we'll be playing 5 against 6 up front we will need lots of guys that can win their own ball but despite what people say we do have decent ball winners. Maybe go with Canning, Glynn, Donnellan, Cooney and then whoever is going the best out of Healy, Glennon, Moloney, Flynn, D.Burke, N.Burke. Constantly rotating between them to annoy the defenders

Dean Higgins is a player I expect to do well in 2015 and will add some badly needed pace to the side. And having Donnellan back (if he can get back as good he was will be a huge addition, he's vital to us, fast, strong and very direct. And another thing we need to stop is just leaving Glynn in at 14 and humping ball after ball in there, it won't work, that tactic only works every now and again when the opposition aren't expecting it, we need to vary the deliveries in to the forwards. It's great to have the option but it needs to be just that, an option, not the entire plan like it seemed to be this year.

So if I was picking the team I'd go something along the lines of:

Callanan
    Moore R.Burke Coen
    Higgins D.Burke Collins
    Mannian Tan Breheny
    Cooney Canning N.Burke
    Glynn Donnellan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

They voted against us joining Leinster. Pathetic and so small minded by a lot of those Leinster counties, surely they should relish raising the standard of their championships?

Back to the craic of our teams just getting 1 or 2 games at minor and under 21 level. We'll pick up an odd all Ireland but what's it worth really? Winning all Ireland's at that level isn't important really, it's just about bringing players through to the seniors and the more games they can get the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

didn't kilkenny win the all ireland minor this year thats hight enough standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

They voted against us joining Leinster. Pathetic and so small minded by a lot of those Leinster counties, surely they should relish raising the standard of their championships?

Kerry minors also refused entry to Leinster championship last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Kerry minors also refused entry to Leinster championship last night

It's pathetic but symptomatic of the farcical way the GAA organise the competitions, absolutely no central plan at all and left up to individual counties who pursue their own interests (which they are entitled to in fairness ) above the overall good, the only way is to take the underage competitions off the remit of the provincial councils and run it centrally, the unbalanced way the Munster minor hurling championship is ran is another symptom of this...there is way too much left up to counties and provinces in the way competitions are run and that is causing a lot of the problems in the GAA today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Surely an open draw for all counties in Minor and U21 is the best way to go and leave out all the Provincial stuff. Obviously have a backdoor for teams knocked out in R1.

I think it's 12 teams so it would be:
    R1: 6 matches - open draw (12)
    R2: 3 matches - losers of R1 (6)
    R3: Play-Off between 2 R2 qualifiers done by open draw. (2)
    R4: All Ireland Quarter Finals (8)
    R5: All Ireland Semi Finals (4)
    R6: All Ireland Finals (2)

Meaning the everyone is guarenteed 2 games and a bad draw (i.e. Galway v. Clare in R1) would still give both teams a chance to win the All Ireland.

IT's not perfect but it gives everyone an equal advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Iecrawfc wrote: »
    It's pathetic but symptomatic of the farcical way the GAA organise the competitions, absolutely no central plan at all and left up to individual counties who pursue their own interests (which they are entitled to in fairness ) above the overall good, the only way is to take the underage competitions off the remit of the provincial councils and run it centrally, the unbalanced way the Munster minor hurling championship is ran is another symptom of this...there is way too much left up to counties and provinces in the way competitions are run and that is causing a lot of the problems in the GAA today...

How is this exactly?

Think Galway should be let in to be honest. Mind you, wouldn't have it as an excuse for under performance at Senior level. Being allowed into Leinster at Senior level was supposed to help Galway majorly with more competitive games, and bar 2012 you haven't really seen the evidence of that in the 6 years they've been in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why should Galway minors and U21s be allowed into Leinster?

Not even Leinster counties can get into those A competitions -

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why should Galway minors and U21s be allowed into Leinster?

Not even Leinster counties can get into those A competitions -

Perhaps that's because most years there are not good enough and are better off playing games in the B Championship where they will be playing in competitive matches. I'm sure if they wanted to get in, the other counties would be more than happy to facilitate them. Most of the time they know they are on a hiding to nothing or their county board couldn't be bothered pushing it for them as their main interest is football.

I personally think there are much bigger problems in Galway hurling than not playing in Leinster in minor and u21 but why should Galway be punished because there is no competition in Connacht, similarly with Antrim or you could make a case from time to time for Derry or Down in Ulster.

Hurling needs as many strong counties as possible and provincial boundaries shouldn't get in the way of providing underage players with as many championship games as possible to keep them involved and help them improve their skills and Galway playing underage in Leinster will help Galway improve and will give the other teams an extra incentive to prove their point against a team from outside of Leinster.

Letting in the likes of Antrim, Derry Down or Kerry would help the counties you talk about as there could be more round robin games and preliminary rounds whereby the year wouldn't be over in 1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Perhaps that's because most years there are not good enough and are better off playing games in the B Championship where they will be playing in competitive matches. I'm sure if they wanted to get in, the other counties would be more than happy to facilitate them. Most of the time they know they are on a hiding to nothing or their county board couldn't be bothered pushing it for them as their main interest is football.

The "B" u21 championship in Leinster used to work alongside the "A" championship. When Kildare won the "B" championship about ten years ago they were allowed enter the "A" championship at the quarter final stage where they faced Dublin. A few years later the Leinster Council did away with this carrot for the counties competing in the "B" championship without any explanation.

Kildare have won the Leinster u21 "B" for the last 3 years but yet no crack at Carlow/Offaly/Dublin/Wexford/Laois etc. They might be well beaten in that kind of company but how are you going to progress beating the same opposition over and over? To make the Leinster system seem even more bizarre Kildare, Meath and Wicklow do play in the Leinster Minor "A" championship as well as the "B". Kildare teams have beaten Carlow and Westmeath in the minor championship in the last few years but they will not play in the same championship when they get to u21.

The hurling competition structures are a mess.

How is this exactly?

Think Galway should be let in to be honest. Mind you, wouldn't have it as an excuse for under performance at Senior level. Being allowed into Leinster at Senior level was supposed to help Galway majorly with more competitive games, and bar 2012 you haven't really seen the evidence of that in the 6 years they've been in Leinster.
    On the Munster draw, For instance this year Clare have a bye into the semi where they play either tipp or waterford who will have a game played and have a second chance whereas Clare only have 1 chance, on the other side limerick play cork away, if they lose they will play losers of tipp, waterford and if they win that will play cork at home, so limerick have an advantage of an extra game and a home semi for losing the first round ( provided they win of course!) they could run the whole thing as a round robin just as easily and more fairly...

On the Munster draw, For instance this year Clare have a bye into the semi where they play either tipp or waterford who will have a game played and have a second chance whereas Clare only have 1 chance, on the other side limerick play cork away, if they lose they will play losers of tipp, waterford and if they win that will play cork at home, so limerick have an advantage of an extra game and a home semi for losing the first round ( provided they win of course!) they could run the whole thing as a round robin just as easily and more fairly...

The Limerick side is a bit gammy this year alright with Kerry pulling out. But as for Clare, they only have to win one game to make a Munster final. So put it this way, whoever wins Tipp or Waterford could win the game could then lose to Clare and be out while they make it to the munster final having only won the same amount of games.

Not that disproves your point at all in fairness, just the whole thing about people complaining about second chances does annoy me (not that you overly did their again to be fair).

All in all your right, it's probably time they changed that.

The Limerick side is a bit gammy this year alright with Kerry pulling out. But as for Clare, they only have to win one game to make a Munster final. So put it this way, whoever wins Tipp or Waterford could win the game could then lose to Clare and be out while they make it to the munster final having only won the same amount of games.

Not that disproves your point at all in fairness, just the whole thing about people complaining about second chances does annoy me (not that you overly did their again to be fair).

All in all your right, it's probably time they changed that.

The argument really proves the point, depending on your point of view you could argue Clare/waterford/tipp/limerick have an advantage this year, I just think all teams should have an equal amount of games and/or chances to reach a final, all this back door, preliminary round, losers group stuff is a terrible way to run a competition but has infected GAA thinking everywhere...and this is only the Munster, when you take into account Connacht, ulster and Leinster championships, not to mention u21 the whole structure is a mess.

The argument really proves the point, depending on your point of view you could argue Clare/waterford/tipp/limerick have an advantage this year, I just think all teams should have an equal amount of games and/or chances to reach a final, all this back door, preliminary round, losers group stuff is a terrible way to run a competition but has infected GAA thinking everywhere...and this is only the Munster, when you take into account Connacht, ulster and Leinster championships, not to mention u21 the whole structure is a mess.

Yeah can see the point you're making all right, although I still love the Munster championship. It will feel weird if they do away with it.

On a side note, reckon in spite of any perceived disadvantage that Cork will win the Munster minor championship this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

This has gone back to the DRA again. Turloughmore insist that a rule is not being properly interpreted and that the DRA agreed with them the last time and sent it back to Galway to sort out. But Galway and Connaught have both re-issued their original decisions basically.

Does anyone know the crux of their point of appeal and if the previous ruling means the DRA would find in their favour again -- or send it all back again?

I know the guy seems to have played illegally but I always thought Turloughmore's defence was that there were other players in the same position and they got a verbal OK from the board prior to the first game he played. But the DRA ruling seemed to say there was no rule infringement, or at least that the rule being quoted was not broken.

It's really made a mess of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Anyone know is there any update on the Turloughmore Hurling appeal?
    Its a disgrace that one club could be allowed hold up an entire championship like this..
    The county board have a lot to answer & surprised their hasn't been more about it in the national media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone know is there any update on the Turloughmore Hurling appeal?
    Its a disgrace that one club could be allowed hold up an entire championship like this..
    The county board have a lot to answer & surprised their hasn't been more about it in the national media

Co. board (or whatever) decided that they fielded a player illegally and correctly excluded them from the championship. That didn't suit Turlough' who are keeping the whole charade going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Does anyone know the crux of their point of appeal and if the previous ruling means the DRA would find in their favour again -- or send it all back again?

The reason the DRA sent it back to Galway is that due process was process was not given to Turlough.

Or in plain English, they argued to the DRA that the Galway CCC shafted them and the DRA agreed.

Edit: the text of the DRA decision was posted on the GBFM Sports facebook page on 15th October for anybody interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

What is the date that the final must be played?
    After what date will the winners not be eligible to represent Galway in the all Ireland club championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I said wrote: »
    What is the date that the final must be played?
    After what date will the winners not be eligible to represent Galway in the all Ireland club championship.

Before the club semi final in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

31st January

Well done to Aran Islands on winning the Connacht Junior title today in the battle of the islands against Achill. One win away from Croke Park, what an occasion that would be for them.

Unfortunately, the end of the road for Kilannin.

Well done to Aran Islands on winning the Connacht Junior title today in the battle of the islands against Achill. One win away from Croke Park, what an occasion that would be for them.

Unfortunately, the end of the road for Kilannin.

Was at Tuam today and Aran were much the better team. Only really started to pull away midway through the 2nd half though. Aran are a very handy side. Don't think they will have any trouble up in intermediate next year.

Hard luck to Killanin. Croans obviously a very decent outfit to beat both Ballyhaunis and Killanin.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Aran Islands off to play John Mitchells of Liverpool over in Birmingham next. If they get over that, does anyone know how the semi-final draws shape up? They easily deserved their double score victory and as said above they should be able to handle Intermediate next year. Good crowd there yesterday as well.

wonder88 wrote: »
    Aran Islands off to play John Mitchells of Liverpool over in Birmingham next. If they get over that, does anyone know how the semi-final draws shape up? They easily deserved their double score victory and as said above they should be able to handle Intermediate next year. Good crowd there yesterday as well.

I believe the semis break down as Connacht v Leinster and Munster v Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

So we're up and running again. Beagh V Ardrahan.

Were they training all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

nootroc wrote: »
    So we're up and running again. Beagh V Ardrahan.

Were they training all the time?

When is that match on

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Kenny Park, 2 bells tomorrow (Sunday)
    I really hope Turlough get a massive fine what they've done.
    (1) Playing illegal player
    (2) Holding up the championship for 7/8 weeks
    Disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Kenny Park, 2 bells tomorrow (Sunday)
    I really hope Turlough get a massive fine what they've done.
    (1) Playing illegal player
    (2) Holding up the championship for 7/8 weeks
    Disgraceful

Is this the semi final or quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

kala85 wrote: »
    Is this the semi final or quarter final

Quarter,winner plays Gort in semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Tannion broken finger will be a loss

Well done to Corofin. Today was going to be their first proper test and they came through with flying colours. I don't think they are good enough to win the All-Ireland but they are deserving of the tag of 2nd favourites at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is the connacht hurling clubs played out yet?

Triboro wrote: »
    Is the connacht hurling clubs played out yet?

Yes in the intermediate Cappatagle beat Ballyhaunis by 2 pts and in the junior Annaghdown beat Calry/St.Joseph's from Sligo.

Senior champions progress straight to All-Ireland semi-final.

On the senior championship Beagh caused a small surprise beating Ardrahan. They now face Gort in a local derby. Looks like a Portumna v Gort final and even though they haven't exactly convinced this year, I don't think the Gort defence will be able to hold up sufficiently against Portumna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

Ahah,Portumna again,well maybe.. Thanjs for that!

I don't think they are good enough to win the All-Ireland but they are deserving of the tag of 2nd favourites at this stage.

Not good enough?.

What more can a team do than walk their provincial final?.

I suppose now people will say Ballintubber were only a poor side but many had tipped them to win and they do have a few class players in their ranks.

Vincents weren't exactly world beaters last year and Castlebar fairly gifted them a few goals.
    I'd certainly fancy Corofin against them anyway.

Paddy Power actually have Corofin as favourites(unless they were your own 2nd favs and not the bookies) and rightly so IMO.

Their issues a few years back were they were back loaded in terms of county standard.

They now have a genuine county forward in Lundy, no disrespect to leaving Sice out in that regard but he's more a man of many positions as opposed to being an out and out forward.
    Others like I.Burke are really putting their hands up as well in regards to county selection.

They'll be hard beat either way if somebody does stop them.

Fair play to them, some achievement when you think the area isn't even a town of note.
    The Newtownshandrum of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Not good enough?.

What more can a team do than walk their provincial final?.

I suppose now people will say Ballintubber were only a poor side but many had tipped them to win and they do have a few class players in their ranks.

Vincents weren't exactly world beaters last year and Castlebar fairly gifted them a few goals.
    I'd certainly fancy Corofin against them anyway.

Paddy Power actually have Corofin as favourites(unless they were your own 2nd favs and not the bookies) and rightly so IMO.

Their issues a few years back were they were back loaded in terms of county standard.

They now have a genuine county forward in Lundy, no disrespect to leaving Sice out in that regard but he's more a man of many positions as opposed to being an out and out forward.
    Others like I.Burke are really putting their hands up as well in regards to county selection.

They'll be hard beat either way if somebody does stop them.

Fair play to them, some achievement when you think the area isn't even a town of note.
    The Newtownshandrum of football.

Corofin are a fantastic team, full of wonderful footballers and they seem to be very well organised this year. They are a club that have a winning mentality akin to Kilkenny hurlers.

But I cannot see why not having "a town of note" is relevant. They have a huge area to pick from. There really is a good argument to be made that Corofin & Belclare should not be one club. It is an advantage to them and puts other teams like Caherlistrane, Cortoon, Milltown, Kilererin etc. at a disadvantage.

In fairness to Borders no. 2, he placed them as 2nd favourites - thats not exactly bad! I really hope that we do see a Vincents-Corofin match because it has the potential to be a fantastic game of football, one which I hope Corofin will win :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement