Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm pleased with today I must say. Always good to beat the Cats even though they were probably missing about 6 definite championship starters there today. Having said that we're missing players too.

We were wasteful enough at times it must be said yet still we managed to hit 20 points, that's a good sign. Could very easily have had a goal or 2 and 3 or 4 more points. Though on the other side of the KK missed chances too and Callanan was just superb at the end. He's a great keeper, I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the country to be honest.

It seems this year we're back to playing the more defensive style we played in 2012 and then seemed to abandon for the last 2 years. I'm happy about this I must say. We were way too open the last couple of years, in particular thinking of the Clare massacre down in Thurles. Suits us a lot better to keep that area around our half back line nice and congested. The downside is that at some stages it will lead to times when there's only a couple of men within 40 yards or so of the opposition's goal and that can be very frustrating to watch if a ball is pumped in there and there's no one in that space to fight for it. It does also mean though that the players around the middle need to have their heads up when delivering that ball. I'd also prefer to see Johnny Glynn deployed more at 14, he's a great ball winner and so dangerous in around there. Him and Canning inside together could make hay.

Speaking of Canning, it was great to see him back and he played well. Got on loads of ball and got some vital scores.

Mannian was great again back in the corner and Lally did very well. Everyone around the middle worked their socks off in fairness and Flynn was accurate up front, from both frees and play. Also does anyone know was Higgins injured or anything? Seems very harsh to get 2 points in the first half and be subbed off.

Still a few to come back in there and overall I'd be fairly positive at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Disappointing loss to down considering we were leading for so long. Lack of experience in the last 10 minutes cost us along with the fact the down keeper was brilliant. Our own keeper made a good save from the peno unlucky to concede the rebound. Still was positive that we created so many chances and cummins and denvir and o curraoin have really improved. Great to see conroy back. 3 home games to come but no breaks until end of league so will be tough on players. Hopefully we can win the home games
    What? Sure they just had two week break. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I'm pleased with today I must say. Always good to beat the Cats even though they were probably missing about 6 definite championship starters there today. Having said that we're missing players too.

We were wasteful enough at times it must be said yet still we managed to hit 20 points, that's a good sign. Could very easily have had a goal or 2 and 3 or 4 more points. Though on the other side of the KK missed chances too and Callanan was just superb at the end. He's a great keeper, I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the country to be honest.

It seems this year we're back to playing the more defensive style we played in 2012 and then seemed to abandon for the last 2 years. I'm happy about this I must say. We were way too open the last couple of years, in particular thinking of the Clare massacre down in Thurles. Suits us a lot better to keep that area around our half back line nice and congested. The downside is that at some stages it will lead to times when there's only a couple of men within 40 yards or so of the opposition's goal and that can be very frustrating to watch if a ball is pumped in there and there's no one in that space to fight for it. It does also mean though that the players around the middle need to have their heads up when delivering that ball. I'd also prefer to see Johnny Glynn deployed more at 14, he's a great ball winner and so dangerous in around there. Him and Canning inside together could make hay.

Speaking of Canning, it was great to see him back and he played well. Got on loads of ball and got some vital scores.

Mannian was great again back in the corner and Lally did very well. Everyone around the middle worked their socks off in fairness and Flynn was accurate up front, from both frees and play. Also does anyone know was Higgins injured or anything? Seems very harsh to get 2 points in the first half and be subbed off.

Still a few to come back in there and overall I'd be fairly positive at this stage

Care to enlighten - I can only think of 3. That being TJ, colin fennelly and joey holden - michael fennelly if he remains injury free but he seems to be constantly injured unfortunately the last few years because he is an unbelievable hurler! jackie tyrrell was a used sub fairly early in the game so im not sure who else youre thinking of...that was a strong kk team out there today and it was a good win by us.

It always really annoys me when supporters dilute victories with complaints of who the other team was missing - thats sport - its unusual to see teams at full strength 100% of the time. After all we were missing daithi, niall and david burke, cyril donnellan, niall healy and fergal moore is just back from injury. thats the point of having a panel - being in a position to replace injured players!!

donnem33 wrote: »
    Care to enlighten - I can only think of 3. That being TJ, colin fennelly and joey holden - michael fennelly if he remains injury free but he seems to be constantly injured unfortunately the last few years because he is an unbelievable hurler! jackie tyrrell was a used sub fairly early in the game so im not sure who else youre thinking of...that was a strong kk team out there today and it was a good win by us.

It always really annoys me when supporters dilute victories with complaints of who the other team was missing - thats sport - its unusual to see teams at full strength 100% of the time. After all we were missing daithi, niall and david burke, cyril donnellan, niall healy and fergal moore is just back from injury. thats the point of having a panel - being in a position to replace injured players!!

I thought I was quiet positive about our performance in my post, and I made reference to all our injuries too.

Well I wouldn't think Joey Holden will make their championship team to be honest, the other three you mentioned obviously will, they also didn't have Richie Power, Eoin Larkin and Conor Fogarty today, all of whom I'd expect to be starters for them in the Championship. So that makes 6.

But I'm not diluting the win at all, any victory over KK is good and we were probably missing just as many players from our likely championship team.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Was at the game in Newry, was often a lot more disappointed after a defeat as it was a good performance, If we had got one of the 3 real goal chances we had it was game over, Down never gave in though to their Credit when most teams would have folded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Three? Colin, Mick fennelly, tj, Larkin, Holden, Richie power, conor fogarty. That's seven. Half the team was missing basically, including four forwards. It doesn't bode well for Kilkenny that the replacements have been quite poor and we're shown up playing against a quality team in Galway (one that as you say was also missing players), but to say we're only missing three players is totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Three? Colin, Mick fennelly, tj, Larkin, Holden, Richie power, conor fogarty. That's seven. Half the team was missing basically, including four forwards. It doesn't bode well for Kilkenny that the replacements have been quite poor and we're shown up playing against a quality team in Galway (one that as you say was also missing players), but to say we're only missing three players is totally wrong.

Apologies - I forgot about forgarty, larkin and richie - i did include mick fennelly but said he is injured alot and in a recent interview even his bro colin said his body is wrecked from so many injuries. One player I greatly admire and would love to see back playing is michael rice aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Apologies - I forgot about forgarty, larkin and richie - i did include mick fennelly but said he is injured alot and in a recent interview even his bro colin said his body is wrecked from so many injuries. One player I greatly admire and would love to see back playing is michael rice aswel

Yeah you and me both. I think injuries have more or less destroyed his career at this stage, there's no talk of him ever making it back. Shame really, great talent, and I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

T0001 wrote: »
    Good win for the hurlers, we seem to finally be able to keep consistant throughout matches, once we got infront today we never let up. Excellent displays from Lally and P. Mannion and some great saves from Callinnan right at the end. The game itself was nothing special and will be seen as nothing more than 2 points on the board. Some poor last passes cost us some goal chances. Glynn had a great game coming out of all the schmozzles with the ball glued to the hurl, dont think i've ever seen anything like it before!!

Unfortunate about the footballers but we still have 3 home games and should take points from then. Talking to a mate of mine who went he said they threw it away in the end after playing great for 50-55 mins.

Glynn used his physicality fairly well and in fairness doesn't usually go missing. His ball-winning in the air isn't always too strong though, and a number of times yesterday his hand-passing went astray, as it so often does. Galway's forwards in general though are rather disappointing. There isn't a lot between Flynn, Regan, Higgins, Brehony, Joe Cooney, and not a huge scoring threat (from play) either. Cathal Mannion is a bit better, ability-wise, but also needs to sharpen up his score-taking at this level. Of the men to possibly return, Conor Cooney should improve things, but isn't the quickest. The Burkes, Niall and David, need to recapture their 2012 form and not that of subsequent years, while Cyril Donnellan is inter-changeable with Glynn. Don't want to be too down on them, but if/when Galway fail later in the year it will be for these reasons I think.

Midfield is ok for the moment, keeper is fine and the backs are quietly becoming fairly efficient - Padraig Mannion looks the part already, as I knew he would. Daithi Burke should boost things more should he return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Good win for the hurlers in the end. Don't think it's the most skillful Galway team I've ever seen but they are proving to be quite a dogged and gritty outfit that keeps going to the end. Something you don't usually associate with a lot of past teams. One more win for either of last two games should see them safe from relegation. Lose both however and they could easily find themselves in that play-off. Not much margin for error.

Pity about the footballers. By all accounts they dominated 90% of the match up in Down but lost it in the last 10 minutes when Down kicked about 7 points to sneak a win they probably didn't deserve on the balance of play. Footballers seem to headed in the right direction though and with 3 home games left from the last 4 they are still well in the hunt.

MfMan wrote: »
    Glynn used his physicality fairly well and in fairness doesn't usually go missing. His ball-winning in the air isn't always too strong though, and a number of times yesterday his hand-passing went astray, as it so often does. Galway's forwards in general though are rather disappointing. There isn't a lot between Flynn, Regan, Higgins, Brehony, Joe Cooney, and not a huge scoring threat (from play) either. Cathal Mannion is a bit better, ability-wise, but also needs to sharpen up his score-taking at this level. Of the men to possibly return, Conor Cooney should improve things, but isn't the quickest. The Burkes, Niall and David, need to recapture their 2012 form and not that of subsequent years, while Cyril Donnellan is inter-changeable with Glynn. Don't want to be too down on them, but if/when Galway fail later in the year it will be for these reasons I think.

Midfield is ok for the moment, keeper is fine and the backs are quietly becoming fairly efficient - Padraig Mannion looks the part already, as I knew he would. Daithi Burke should boost things more should he return.

Johnny Glynn is probably the best aerial ball winning forward in the country at the moment, certainly in the top 2 or 3. You obviously haven't seen him hurl very often if you think that that part of his game "isn't too strong". Now his striking isn't great at times but he's a vital cog in our forward line.

You're right to say though that we have 2 or 3 forwards that will walk onto the team and then we have maybe 6 more that are very interchangeable for the last 3 positions.

The backs are looking okay, still have Daithi Burke and Fergal Moore to go back in there aswell.

Johnny Glynn is probably the best aerial ball winning forward in the country at the moment, certainly in the top 2 or 3. You obviously haven't seen him hurl very often if you think that that part of his game "isn't too strong". Now his striking isn't great at times but he's a vital cog in our forward line.

You're right to say though that we have 2 or 3 forwards that will walk onto the team and then we have maybe 6 more that are very interchangeable for the last 3 positions.

The backs are looking okay, still have Daithi Burke and Fergal Moore to go back in there aswell.

Agree on Glynn in the air, he's not far off being the best.

Another trait of his game that's probably under estimated is his ground winning ability... He comes out of a tonne of rucks with possession and he's surprisingly quick for his build as you'll notice from those rucks he can usually open a gap from opponents.

His biggest problem seems to be he's too selfless, I'd like to see him take on the goal chance more than always looking to pass it.

Agree on Glynn in the air, he's not far off being the best.

Another trait of his game that's probably under estimated is his ground winning ability... He comes out of a tonne of rucks with possession and he's surprisingly quick for his build as you'll notice from those rucks he can usually open a gap from opponents.

His biggest problem seems to be he's too selfless, I'd like to see him take on the goal chance more than always looking to pass it.

Ya he's superb in those rucks aswell, he really is the top ball winning forward we've produced in years. I thought that other years he got bottled up easily enough but this year he seems better able to break through the tackles. Ya he's selfless but I like that about him, he's got great vision too, as I said already though its just the striking that can get him on occasion.

I know he's good in the half forward line but I'd like to see him inside more, becuase if he wins the ball in there, with his strength it's either a goal or he'll be fouled.

It looks this year as though we'll be back to playing 1 and 2 men in the full forward line for long periods, I think playing like this means you need a really good ball winner in there because obviously you're going to be outnumbered a lot and I think he'd be ideal for this. Obviously don't leave him in all the time but I'd like him utilised on the edge of the square a small bit more all the same.

I've seen a fair bit of Glynn, and seen a fair bit of ball falling off him also. Again, it's not that his vision is bad, but his decision-making and execution quite often is. On 2,3 occasions yesterday, his handpass gave the intended recipient too much to do. I agree that nearest goal is his best position, as, if he gains possession, he has to try and take on the score rather than go soloing with the ball. Don't want to be too down on the lad as he has much to offer, but he has a fair bit of improvement to find also I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saying Glynn is too selfless is absolutely spot on but it does yield goals come Summer. He was off his game yesterday especially that handpass straight to Eoin Murphy and was well marked under puckouts from Callanan. Even Joe Cooney was shocking under high ball yesterday and he seems to be escaping criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Two important games tomorrow. The results in division 2 are so topsy turvy I honestly think if we win our 3 remaining home games we should get promoted. If we are to progress any further in the medium-long term we need to be back in division 1. Last weeks result was disappointing but this is a good chance to bounce back tomorrow. Cavan don't really look like they've pushed on since 2013, they have done well in Ulster at u21 over the last few years also but as we well know that may take a bit of time to carry through to senior. Would be very disappointed if we don't register a win tomorrow.

Hurlers facing Cork will be an interesting one. Cork have picked things up well after not getting out of the blocks in Round 1. Think this one will be tight. Backs did quite well last weekend but think we'll find out a lot more about them tomorrow. Canning is starting which is a positive, would be good to get a result here and secure a quarter final spot ahead of the final round.

As they say you really need to win your home games so hopefully it can be 2 from 2 tomorrow and with the double header I'm hoping both sides will get good support.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Two important games tomorrow. The results in division 2 are so topsy turvy I honestly think if we win our 3 remaining home games we should get promoted. If we are to progress any further in the medium-long term we need to be back in division 1. Last weeks result was disappointing but this is a good chance to bounce back tomorrow. Cavan don't really look like they've pushed on since 2013, they have done well in Ulster at u21 over the last few years also but as we well know that may take a bit of time to carry through to senior. Would be very disappointed if we don't register a win tomorrow.

Sadly (well as a Cavan supporter) I'd expect an easy enough win for Galway today. Our forward line is lacking power due to three missing players - David Givney, Kevin Tierney and, most particularly, Eugene Keating - who have opted out this year.

Cavan are trying to play a bit of a more expansive style but we're leaving ourselves wide open at the back at times because of it.

Galway have far better forwards than us so a routine win for ye today. I wouldn't be surprised to see yas put up a high score either with the quality up front that ye have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Jampip wrote: »
    Sadly (well as a Cavan supporter) I'd expect an easy enough win for Galway today. Our forward line is lacking power due to three missing players - David Givney, Kevin Tierney and, most particularly, Eugene Keating - who have opted out this year.

Cavan are trying to play a bit of a more expansive style but we're leaving ourselves wide open at the back at times because of it.

Galway have far better forwards than us so a routine win for ye today. I wouldn't be surprised to see yas put up a high score either with the quality up front that ye have.

Well done, I like your reverse psychology.:D

A bad day at the stadium for Galway GAA. The footballers for the 2nd week in a row threw away a big half time lead to narrowly lose a game in the final minutes. Last week they led Down by 6. This week they led Cavan by 5 at the break. Gone from looking for promotion to being in a battle to avoid relegation now. Big game v Laois now next weekend. The loser will be in a spot of bother.

Hurlers also lost their game in the final few minutes. They finally got in front and then Cork scored their 2nd goal and held on over the final few minutes. Galway goal then disallowed right at the death which would have drawn the game. Not sure but they might have to beat Dublin in final game to be sure of avoiding relegation play off. Haven't checked it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Galway cannot be in relegation play off as they have beaten Clare and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

A bad day at the stadium for Galway GAA. The footballers for the 2nd week in a row threw away a big half time lead to narrowly lose a game in the final minutes. Last week they led Down by 6. This week they led Cavan by 5 at the break. Gone from looking for promotion to being in a battle to avoid relegation now. Big game v Laois now next weekend. The loser will be in a spot of bother.

Hurlers also lost their game in the final few minutes. They finally got in front and then Cork scored their 2nd goal and held on over the final few minutes. Galway goal then disallowed right at the death which would have drawn the game. Not sure but they might have to beat Dublin in final game to be sure of avoiding relegation play off. Haven't checked it yet.

Footballers soiled their undergarments yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

tanko wrote: »
    Well done, I like your reverse psychology.:D

I like it too, thought ye were going to give us a hammering at half time. Luckily Martin Dunne had a point to prove.

Well done to Cavan on their win but can honestly say it was one of the most depressing games of anything I watched in years. Galway looked on their way at half time despite a mediocre performance but we were a complete mess in the 2nd half. Cavan's tactics are relatively effective but are difficult to watch. The fact Galway couldn't deal with them in any shape or form, lost any form of shape or discipline and the fact that only one or two of the Galway players showed any sort of stomach for the fight in the 2nd half is extremely worrying.

Disappointed to lose the hurling, after a lot of hard work to get back in front and to be in good control of the game the 2nd Cork goal was ridiculously soft. Cork did shoot a lot of wides but thought we deserved something for our efforts. You'd still question a lot of elements of Galway's game plan though. Going by the below though we are safe from relegation and into the quarter finals against Waterford, Wexford or Limerick. It'll be KK v Clare in the relegation play off unless Clare beat KK and Dublin beat us.

Don't know should

Where Counties finish with Equal Points – extract from (Riail 6.20 T.O. 2014):
    “...........the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:
    (i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two
    Teams in the previous game in the Competition;
    (ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
    (iii) Highest Total Score For;
    (iv) A Play-Off.

I wouldn't be as disappointed in the hurlers tbh.
    Shocking error for the second goal been Lally/Hansbury, not sure who passed it but pretty sure it involved those two.

Lally is impressing, not gone on Hansbury though, done for the first again.
    Granted he had two Cork players to contend with but he had first play on the ball so should have made it count.

Higgins came off the bench to hit 0 from 3(missed at least three and didn't see him score but open to correction) with the last being an easy shot which then lead to the second Cork goal.

Regan again with an anonymous performance but at least this time they took him off.

The footballers were just horrendous though, worst performance I saw in a while tbh.

Turning point was Conroys embarrassing miss.
    He breaks through the middle, players each side, all the has to do is wait for one of the two defenders to commit and pass for a goal... However he decides to kick a point and puts it wide from 10 yards out and the two point lead is eradicated a few minutes later.
    Never, EVER should the point be taken from there and to then miss is even more sickening.

Martin missed a shocking free as well with 2 to play and down two.

In fact you could point to numerous incidents of juvenile attacking.

At one point late in the second half, Martin shot from the right and put it out towards the sideline, retrieved by Cummins who did the same thing back to the other corner.

Cleaned out in midfield in the second half.

We're just far too slow getting it forward, 6/7 show passes around FB before moving it out.
    You need your HBs to be quick and get out fast on a turnover and then your forwards to attack the gaps.

Comer was the only Galway player around the middle sectors who was willing and able to put the foot down and go.
    S.Walsh while not the quickest will also create space and I can't fathom how lads like Denver, Conroy etc are featuring ahead of him.

Think we're more likely to get dragged into a relegation battle from todays showing.
    A paltry 3 point second half, no reliable free taker, no 45+ free taker, too slow in the build up.... Doesn't bode well for a quick turnaround.

For anyone not there, the footballers played like Ireland yesterday... However at least Ireland had previous to put it down as a blip.
    sporter1 wrote: »
    Galway cannot be in relegation play off as they have beaten Clare and Kilkenny.

It comes down to PD if more than two teams finish level on points.

Without checking, I think we're better placed as Dublin and KK shipped heavy defeats while we're around -5 or so.

First off fair play to the Cavan fans who came. Nice away turnout and it was funny hearing one of your louder fans abuse Dunne when he came on and become his greatest supporter after his third outrageous score from the corner.

Some many awful performances from a Galway perspective. Bar Comer and Breathnach I can't think of a single player who started and didn't waste possession, let Cavan players run through them or get caught out for dallying. The attack was depressingly slow and not an once of creativity there in the second half. Probably the worst Galway showing at Pearse Stadium in many a year. Walsh being held back for so long didn't help. They didn't have any answers for the blanket defence. Hard to believe they've gone from promotion challengers to potentially relegated.

The hurlers had a bad day but still a few positives. Felt bad for Lally and Hanbury. Will probably feel like they cost us. Tannian was excellent but was taken off very early. Better Glynn showing. Cathal Mannion was improved. Canning scored a super sideline but still looked a bit rusty. Harte was fantastic when introduced. Cooney was very good. Two lapses in concentration cost them but the concession of frees with Pa Horgan against you will always be disastrous too.

I genuinely can't get over how poor the footballers were. The consensus was that bar the Mayo game in 2013 it was the worst Galway performance in the last 3 years. You had to be there to really grasp how limited they looked.

Don't fancy the footballers getting a result away to Roscommon who shot the lights out today against Kildare. So it might come down to the two home against teams below them in Laois and Kildare. And Laois have picked up their form a bit in recent games and play a similiar defensive style to Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

I was thinking we were going to get ourselves into bother after the loss to down and we have. Cavan were probably the easiest game we have left. Laois were much improved against meath last night, roscommon have already schooled us once only a number of weeks ago and we're facing a kildare team fighting for their lives. We could be hanging on by our fingernails when it comes down to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Even when the footballers were ahead by few points early on they looked poor. Build ups too slow and when Cavan woke up and started playing the response was not there. I felt there were signs that we could have a good season this year in the football but not as sure now. Good crowd of over 7k there on a day that turned quite cold. The pitch didn't look too well and a lot of the hurlers were loosing their footing and a number of players picked up injuries.

It comes down to PD if more than two teams finish level on points.

Without checking, I think we're better placed as Dublin and KK shipped heavy defeats while we're around -5 or so.

Yes but we can't finish level on points with both Clare and Kilkenny as they have to play one another in the final game so only one of them can get to 4 and we beat both of them on the head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Well done to Cavan on their win but can honestly say it was one of the most depressing games of anything I watched in years. Galway looked on their way at half time despite a mediocre performance but we were a complete mess in the 2nd half. Cavan's tactics are relatively effective but are difficult to watch. The fact Galway couldn't deal with them in any shape or form, lost any form of shape or discipline and the fact that only one or two of the Galway players showed any sort of stomach for the fight in the 2nd half is extremely worrying.

Disappointed to lose the hurling, after a lot of hard work to get back in front and to be in good control of the game the 2nd Cork goal was ridiculously soft. Cork did shoot a lot of wides but thought we deserved something for our efforts. You'd still question a lot of elements of Galway's game plan though. Going by the below though we are safe from relegation and into the quarter finals against Waterford, Wexford or Limerick. It'll be KK v Clare in the relegation play off unless Clare beat KK and Dublin beat us.

Don't know should

Where Counties finish with Equal Points – extract from (Riail 6.20 T.O. 2014):
    “...........the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:
    (i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two
    Teams in the previous game in the Competition;
    (ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
    (iii) Highest Total Score For;
    (iv) A Play-Off.

Were Cavan any more defensive than Galway today? I don't think they were, both teams got numbers back but I sincerely don't think Cavan were any more defensive. Great win for us. A pleasure to travel down to Galway, great supporters.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be that negative about that performance today at all, we hurled well and to be honest I thought we were the better side but just the 2 goals we gifted them killed us.

We started like a steam train and should really have had a goal in the first minute but for a fine save by Nash. Then for the next twenty minutes we didn't hurl at all, and couldn't seem to win possession in the half forward line and in fairness Cork were sharp and clocked up a few nice scores. We finished the half fairly well again. The hightlight of the first half probably being Canning's 3 points, the first a line ball and the next two were two absolute beauties from way out the field. I thought Lally and Tan both had good first halves in the half backline/ midfield area and Canning and Cathal Mannian were the best up front.

Second half was a much better performance against the breeze even though we were helped by some bad shooting by Cork, although we had some ourselves, Dean Higgins missed two you'd expect a junior hurler to score. The forwards got some nice scores and I thought they looked a bit more of a cohesive unit than in previous games.

Joe Cooney generally did well, got some nice scores and worked hard. Diffiuclt to know where to play him though, spent time at wing, corner and full forward today. Johnny Glynn didn't get on the score sheet and a lot of things he tried didn't seem to work out but he still did well overall. Caught some great ball and won some great ball on the ground too. Just he seemed to take a few wrong options or misplace passes etc but that can happen. I thought Smyth had a cracking second half, covered so much ground and hit a lot ball. Was hard to fathom the Tan substitution early in the second half, he had a cracking first half but in fairness Harte was superb, 3 lovely points from midfield in the 25 minutes he was on the pitch.

Elsewhere up front I think that's the last we'll see of Regan this year, the guy just doesn't have it at that level. Flynn did well on the frees and got one point from play but overall he wasn't hectic, there was one ball in particular he should have given Canning that would have been a definite goal, in fairness he was fouled that time but he should still have released the pass quicker.

I like Mannian up front I must say, good movement, clever with the ball and well able to score. While Canning was just class I thought, 3 superb points from play a lovely line ball and he played in mountains of good quality ball in the first half, much of which nothing was done with however.

Of the backs then, I thought Mannian and Hanbury did ok although Hanbury was totally at fualt for the first goal and partially so for the second. He actually had a decent game though but back there any mistake can be critical. I'd stick with him though, I think he looks a better option than Ronan Burke. Wasn't at all impressed with Coen in the other corner and I think he might lose out to Fergal Moore next week. He was marking top class forwards in Lehane and Horgan but both had him in big trouble I thought and even in possession he made a few mistakes, Not sure his striking is up to scratch really.

Collins as he basically always is was solid without being outstanding. Lally had an excellent first half, covering very well behind his backs and manning the centre channel well but I thought he hadn't a great second half. I'd stick with him. McInerney was pretty solid all through.

Callanan was good too in goals bar a few iffy puckout in the first half, made some decent saves and dealt with all the dropping ball well.

For Dublin I'd go with:
    Callanan
    Mannian
    Hanbury
    Moore
    Collins
    Lally
    McInerney
    Smyth
    Tannian
    Cooney
    Canning
    Harte
    Mannian
    Glynn
    Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Uggghh depression.

Moving on, anyone heading to New York for the game in May?

Were Cavan any more defensive than Galway today? I don't think they were, both teams got numbers back but I sincerely don't think Cavan were any more defensive. Great win for us. A pleasure to travel down to Galway, great supporters.

We got men behind the ball at times but unlike Cavan we aren't able to implement any kind of functioning defensive system and we don't protect possession as well as ye did. Really depressing game of football all told though. Cavan deserved their win but I wouldn't expect either side to last very long in the summer.

Galway to their detriment haven't been able to form a defensive system as Cavan supporters probably found out when they ran through the centre from their FB-line to the Galway box. The only time Galway had a blanket defence was when Cavan kept drawing more of their attackers in while also refusing to shoot on site which worked. I'd say Cavan's last 10 minute defending would probably outnumber all the Galway defending for the entire game.

Reminded me so much of the rugby yesterday. You come within 5 metres and you get turned over or miss handy scores while Cavan keep a sturdy back-line. Better team won out in both cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

On a more positive note the hurlers are into the League Quarter Finals regardless of next week results!! SO thats something to look forward to ;P

Football;
    An early sharp reminder to the management of the magnitude of task ahead and a result that fairly took the wind out of a lot of previously-optimistic Galway fans (this one included). Tactics were shocking, first half especially, and how they couldn't see that midfield was being overrun more and more as the game progressed is worrying. Even more worrying was how Cavan ultimately were running through our middle for later scores. We were very one-paced and don't move the ball forwards quickly enough or into space in front of the FF line. We badly need a stopper at CHB, Bradshaw is too loose and attack-minded. Fairly middling performance from O'Donnell too who cannot attack with pace when in possession. Player-wise only Breathnach and Comer were up to scratch, while Cummins worked hard but missed his usual goal-per-game chance. A Varley was poorish enough and doesn't really offer anything extra that Cummins does. Martin's contribution from play was non-existent and missed a bad pressure free too. Conroy was poor and his wasted chance when an overlap was on was terrible for an experienced player, but he will be better. Denver works hard and has had a fairly good league but is a bit under-powered. Tierney still raw at this level. Patrick Sweeney's absence was a fair loss in hindsight.
    Just a rank bad, wrong result and if it confines Galway to Div II again next year, could set the managers' and team's development back a year. As one man said yesterday, 'The Corofin lads are now going to have to be very good indeed.'

Hurling;
    (All following comments are mitigated somewhat by the state of the pitch.)
    A much better game and one that would probably have been won only for late mistake, as Galway were well in the ascendancy at the time. Thought though at one stage in the first half, 5 points down playing with the wind, that we were heading for a Dublin-type hammering. In fairness, the team dug in and thanks mainly to the efforts of JC and Cathal Mannion got back into well by HT. However, of the starting front 6, I would only have the afore-mentioned 2 for the c'ship. Flynn doesn't do enough and Regan nothing at all; maybe I have too much of a 'set' on Glynn and Cooney, but the former is too limited in his ability, he only caught one clean ball in the 1st half, which led to a pointed free, everything else fell off him. He improved more in the second half but his distribution also remains dodgy. Cooney took his scores well, but he still wastes too much possession, is too slow for faster ground and his touch, surprising given his heritage, isn't good enough. Elsewhere, Smith put in a good shift at midfield, where Tan wasn't too bad either, even if his use of possession isn't always great. Harte showed his best use might be as an 'impact' but current forward options off the bench aren't great at all.
    In general though the team is slow and hasn't the ability or touch to hurl slickly. When both teams were at their best yesterday, Cork still looked a superior side with their movement and ability to score. No extended c'ship run this year either by the looks of things.

Pitch yesterday was god awful again and has drawn unfavourable comment from all 3 hurling counties that have visited during this league. I'm glad there was a bigger crowd there yesterday than before to see how bad it was. Maybe if enough of a clamour is started about it the Co. Board will do the decent thing and move games elsewhere. How can a management team be expected to develop a squad's hurling on a surface like that?

The hurlers have a tough gritty look about them this year. They are proving to be a difficult side to beat and are hanging in games and not taking bad beatings when they fall a few scores behind. However I would worry for them when the pitches firm up in the Summer. They are a big physical side but awfully one paced and a few of them would not be the best ball strikers so picking off points from long range is not their forte. They kinda remind me of Limerick sides of the past who were big, physical and full of heart and spirit but were let down in the end by a lack of really skillful hurlers.

That said I think they'll be hard beaten during the Summer but I can see their deficiencies catching up to them against the better sides. Not enough players who can fling over handy points from 40 or 50+ yards out. Joe might be the only one you would trust to do that with any consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

What can be said other than sheer class by Corofin today, some rocky moments but who cares!!

Martin McHugh on RTE Radio said he thinks KKevin Walsh will have the most difficult job of any intercounty manager in chosing his forwards for the championship!

Onward and upward for Galway Football and Well Done Corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

T0001 wrote: »
    What can be said other than sheer class by Corofin today, some rocky moments but who cares!!

Martin McHugh on RTE Radio said he thinks KKevin Walsh will have the most difficult job of any intercounty manager in chosing his forwards for the championship!

Onward and upward for Galway Football and Well Done Corofin

You could make a reasonable case for 5 of Corofins 6 forwards to be starting for Galway in the championship. They are that good.

From what I have heard, Corofin's management and preparation are just as good as any inter-county set up. My worry would be that theCorofin players will be heading into a Galway setup that is just not as professional as Corofins, and that could make them less effective for Galway. No idea if that will be the case as I have no idea what kind of setup Galway are under Kevin Walsh. But if it's not a setup as organised as Corofins, then I can see Corofin players getting frustrated.

Corofin have set a high standard here - lets hope Galway can follow their lead.

• Advertisement

You could make a reasonable case for 5 of Corofins 6 forwards to be starting for Galway in the championship. They are that good.

I don't think you could to be honest. I think 3 at a push (Lundy, Sice and Ian Burke). And even Ian Burke has proven nothing yet at intercounty level. Granted he hasn't really had much of a chance too yet. I think one of the Farragher's could be called up to the squad as well but not sure I would see them starting games regularly. Corofin's strength as a club is their all round strength in depth. They don't really have any weak links like most clubs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I don't think you could to be honest. I think 3 at a push (Lundy, Sice and Ian Burke). And even Ian Burke has proven nothing yet at intercounty level. Granted he hasn't really had much of a chance too yet. I think one of the Farragher's could be called up to the squad as well but not sure I would see them starting games regularly. Corofin's strength as a club is their all round strength in depth. They don't really have any weak links like most clubs do.

I'd love to know who Galway have that are better! ;)

Lundy is Galways best forward and probably first name on team at the moment.

Sice was outstanding today and can bring experience to a very young Galway team. Actually, he has been terrific all through the club championship.

I dont mean to disrespect any current Galway players but for me, Ian Burke is easily a better option in the full forward line than either Michael Martin or Danny Cummins. I dont see 'proven nothing yet at intercounty level' as a valid argument - the same argument could be levelled at every player who ever played when they began their career! :)

Michael Farragher possesses an unreal amount of talent. Talent that should allow him to compete for a place on a Galway team - I look at the Galway forwards that started against Cavan: Cummins, Martin, Denvir, Varley. I would rate Farragher higher than any of those. And if he is competing for a place, there is every reason he can claim a place.

Not sure about Martin Farragher as I havent seen a huge amount of him. He has looked decent in any Corofin match I saw last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Kevo called The Corofin players invited to join the Galway panel in for a meeting last week.

A reliable informant has told me he only called one player up (Lundy). Shocking

Congrats to Corofin. After the first 5 or so minutes it was never in doubt. Really they won it the day they beat Vincents. Slaughtneil were painfully limited and must say for the first time in years both finals were very dull and one-sided.

I would imagine that Ronan Steede would be called up. Not sure if Kieran McGrath still has the legs but is probably as good an option as what we have. I'm certain Sice and Lundy will be there.

I'm sure there will be at least 4 or 5 of the Corofin lads called up. Even if Kevin Walsh was thinking as stated above, the Cavan game would have given him a fair indication that what he has isn't good enough in most positions.

I think you could make a strong claim to call up McGrath, Liam Silke, Steede, Sice, Lundy, Ian Burke and maybe one of the Farraghers.

Daithi Burke presumably is throwing in his lot with the hurlers this year so that rules him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

For me this is the best club team that I've seen. They are so well drilled,so well coached and so good in everything they do. You could stick maroon jerseys on them and call them Galway and they would put it up to alot of county teams.

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Kevo called The Corofin players invited to join the Galway panel in for a meeting last week.

A reliable informant has told me he only called one player up (Lundy). Shocking

I really hope you're wrong. Lundy is an obvious choice but Gary Sice and Ian Burke have to be there also, and a couple of others would have a shout based on superb performaces all year. To pick only Lundy would be a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

First post from a happy Corofin Native! I thought we would win yesterday but was surprised at the ease of victory. After 20 minutes the result was never in doubt

I think you could make a case to call up McGrath, Steede, Sice, Lundy, Ian Burke anyway. Surely Kevin Walsh wouldn't distract the players by discussing their participation with Galway the week before the All-Ireland final? Hopefully the story is not true and we can add some players with the confidence of All-Ireland medals in their pockets to the team and squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Right now Corofin are the most entertaining, dynamic and attacking football team in the country - way ahead of any intercounty teams in the entertainment category. If only some of our county sides were playing the game with the same attitude and style, we might not be having this debate on the health of the game - just a joy to watch.

Liam Silke deserves a chance to name one of the many star showings. Guy has been stellar all club championship.

I know there's a few playing Mayo on Saturday but the more natural corner backs we have the better. McGrath should be in there too.

They'll never play as badly as they did against Cavan again hopefully. I don't know what it was but they looked out on their feet well before half-time. Lundy and Sice would've made the difference IMO. You could easily throw Steede in that midfield too.

Liam Silke deserves a chance to name one of the many star showings. Guy has been stellar all club championship.

I know there's a few playing Mayo on Saturday but the more natural corner backs we have the better. McGrath should be in there too.

They'll never play as badly as they did against Cavan again hopefully. I don't know what it was but they looked out on their feet well before half-time. Lundy and Sice would've made the difference IMO. You could easily throw Steede in that midfield too.

I like Steede as a player although is he better than O'Curraoin, Flynn or even Conroy when he plays in midfield? I'd have my doubts. He's better than Tierney though so he'd be well worth a place in the Galway squad. No harm having as many good midfielders as possible. Sure Mayo have had 4 or 5 in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

McGrath, Lundy and Sice would be the certainties for a place imo. Daithi Burke would have a great chance if he decided to play. Ian Burke, Farragher, Silke, Steede and Healy should all be on the panel at least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement