Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MfMan wrote: »
    Oh no. Joe Cooney very poor, slow and too easy-going. Won't finish at midfield, even if he starts there. Glynn only very middling too, fumbles as much as he catches. FF the best spot for him.

Disagree on Cooney. He's improved bigtime from where he was two years ago. Doesn't necessarily compete for the dirty ball as well as Smith but all-round he's a good player.

Glynn had a poor League but he was played at HF for pretty much the duration and was well-marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Serious lack of pace in the middle third. Get the feeling there will be one or two changes before throw in...

Donnellans form has been good but this is a big step up. One thing is we do appear to decent cover this year... Lally, Moore, R Burke, Glennon, Healy... Etc. These guys are nearly as important as the starting team these days.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Conor Whelan's name in the program tomorrow either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Say, on the off-chance we earn a draw, where will the replay be? How about a clamour for Pearse stadium?

Toplink wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Conor Whelan's name in the program tomorrow either.

Any basis to this?... Because it was stated on the other forum that he refused a call up to the squad.
    Same as R.Cummins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Any basis to this?... Because it was stated on the other forum that he refused a call up to the squad.
    Same as R.Cummins.

Well he trained during the week from what i have heard... Supposedly to 'make up numbers' but that seems a bit suss. he has been training away with the U21s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Very exciting game. Most exciting Galway game since drawn AI Final as far as I'm concerned. Canning had an off day by his standards and if we had gotten the missed frees we had the game in the bag.

I think Galway were better than Dublin :O today but were luck in the end.

Took the wrong options up front, fumbled 2 goal chances.

Cyril Donnellan shot the lights out in his long awaited return.

Will say nothing about the ref....

Can see a few changes next game. Will be interesting to see if Canning keeps his place! Callanan seems to stepped it up a gear this year, most likely due to serious competition from Skehill!

Will be heading to Tullamore very optimisitc

And we didnt die off!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭kevin7

is the replay in tullamore? why not galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

kevin7 wrote: »
    is the replay in tullamore? why not galway?

Croke Park is technically a neutral venue. So today's match was at a neutral venue. Leinster championship matches involving Galway are always at a neutral venue - pretty sure this was the agreement when they entered Leinster. So Tullamore as its a neutral venue!

I thought today's game was a little flat but its good it ended in a draw as it should bring on whoever comes through the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Wouldn't be as optimistic as above, thought it was a competitive if average quality game between two sides who are likely to be also rans. However, following the Waterford league game I went up with pretty much zero expectations of us doing anything. The small crowd and March like weather didn't help the spectacle to be fair.

Dublin probably should have put us away but on the flip side we missed a number of scoreable goal chances. Padraig Mannion who had a good league was a big positive, Cyril Donnellan came back into the fold with a decent performance all round, some good form from the likes of Aidan Harte, Cathal Mannion and others like Andy Smith, Johnny Glynn and Jason Flynn had their spells. Greg Lally made a couple of important contributions off the bench and imo should have started.

The effort can't be faulted but still so much to improve on. Joe Canning wasn't at the races. Obviously he is a bit hamstrung by his injury but disappointing all the same.

As usual the management were slow in changing areas where we were obviously struggling.

The lack of management shown for our final free really was disappointing.

Anyway would have taken a draw during pretty much all of the 2nd half so not too disappointed at the end. After the goal we needed to be more ruthless. Same story in Galway teams in all codes, we get a bit of a lead and go patting ourselves on the back forgetting the work that went into getting the lead. Some very soft scores for Dublin wiped that goal off and more within a few minutes.

Really both sides have a huge amount of improvement to do if they are to have any hopes of lasting past late June or early July. I honestly think Dublin are a side not going anywhere fast either. Like us there is a real lack of pace in their team. If we are even a small bit more ruthless with out goal chances we should get over this hurdle.

We have lost our last two replays in the championship but beat Dublin well in a replay in the 2012 league relegation game so we shouldn't go in with any negative baggage about a replay.

Anyway a busy few weeks ahead in both codes.

Wouldn't be as optimistic as above, thought it was a competitive if average quality game between two sides who are likely to be also rans. However, following the Waterford league game I went up with pretty much zero expectations of us doing anything. The small crowd and March like weather didn't help the spectacle to be fair.

Dublin probably should have put us away but on the flip side we missed a number of scoreable goal chances. Padraig Mannion who had a good league was a big positive, Cyril Donnellan came back into the fold with a decent performance all round, some good form from the likes of Aidan Harte, Cathal Mannion and others like Andy Smith, Johnny Glynn and Jason Flynn had their spells. Greg Lally made a couple of important contributions off the bench and imo should have started.

The effort can't be faulted but still so much to improve on. Joe Canning wasn't at the races. Obviously he is a bit hamstrung by his injury but disappointing all the same.

As usual the management were slow in changing areas where we were obviously struggling.

The lack of management shown for our final free really was disappointing.

Anyway would have taken a draw during pretty much all of the 2nd half so not too disappointed at the end. After the goal we needed to be more ruthless. Same story in Galway teams in all codes, we get a bit of a lead and go patting ourselves on the back forgetting the work that went into getting the lead. Some very soft scores for Dublin wiped that goal off and more within a few minutes.

Really both sides have a huge amount of improvement to do if they are to have any hopes of lasting past late June or early July. I honestly think Dublin are a side not going anywhere fast either. Like us there is a real lack of pace in their team. If we are even a small bit more ruthless with out goal chances we should get over this hurdle.

We have lost our last two replays in the championship but beat Dublin well in a replay in the 2012 league relegation game so we shouldn't go in with any negative baggage about a replay.

Anyway a busy few weeks ahead in both codes.

Thought Glynn was very disappointing today and expect a big improvement from him the next day. He is a very good player, capable of playing much better than he did today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

Galway were a bit slow especially in second half but i think we have a lot more to be positive about than Dublin.The ref was very influenced by the huge crowd of Dublin football supporters that were there.( one funny incident: a Dub football supporter kept roaring at the ref to give a black card!) 16 frees to Dublin versus 11 to Galway tells its own story. That won't happen to Tullamore.

Some stats - Galway won 56% of puckouts (including 63% of Dublin puckouts)
    Galway got 13 scores from play versus Dublin's 10
    Dublin's shooting efficiency was better - 52.63% v Galway's 47.37%
    Galway led for 30 minutes of the game, Dublin 28 and they were level for 12

We drew despite lack of reliance on Joe.

Thought Glynn was very disappointing today and expect a big improvement from him the next day. He is a very good player, capable of playing much better than he did today.

No; as I've stated here and elsewhere, Glynn simply isn't a good hurler. Good attitude and approach for sure, but just isn't enough of a threat from open play. (How many high balls did he field? Was it 1?) Also, McInerney must give way next week, to Daithi Burke, Lally, Moore, Killeen or whoever...J Cooney took his goal well but doesn't do enough overall. Hanbury acquitted himself quite well but you'd fear he can be very exposed. Tan and Coen each had very good 2nd halves, but Coen awful 2nd best to Schutte in H1 and Tan can be rounded very easily. Donnellan had a good 1st half and can be pleased with his first big start in quite a while; hate to be churlish, but he was middling in H2 and doesn't always use the ball well, (and oh, how his striking is laboured, against superior opposition from now on he will be hooked and dispossessed before he knows it. He and Glynn showed flashes of the bad old days, soloing into trouble and panicking when they realise they've run out of options.)

On the credit side, 2 Mannions showed that good club form still counts for a lot. Harte and Smith quietly did a lot of good things. Jason Flynn will come on from this. Callanan in goal showed that he should have played the '12 replay (and subsequent history might be a lot different.) JC with one hand had a very quiet outing but nobody of his class can ever be completely discounted. Collective heads didn't drop when 3 points down well into the 2nd half. The longer that half went on, the more I though the Galway backs were getting on top , and if there was 5 more minutes left they probably would have gone on to win.

Galway, as the team expected to lose, will maybe take more positives from this match. They will probably have more options to come in the next day but, after a day when both sides were more afraid of losing than winning, management need to be bold now and introduce the necessary changes; McInerney to drop out, also Cooney and one of Glynn / Donnellan. Bring in Lally, Harte/Smith midfield to start, chance starting David Burke and maybe a wild card like Niall Healy / Shane Maloney. No harm to mix it up more. Tullamore not a happy hunting ground though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

No; as I've stated here and elsewhere, Glynn simply isn't a good hurler. Good attitude and approach for sure, but just isn't enough of a threat from open play. (How many high balls did he field? Was it 1?) Also, McInerney must give way next week, to Daithi Burke, Lally, Moore, Killeen or whoever...J Cooney took his goal well but doesn't do enough overall. Hanbury acquitted himself quite well but you'd fear he can be very exposed. Tan and Coen each had very good 2nd halves, but Coen awful 2nd best to Schutte in H1 and Tan can be rounded very easily. Donnellan had a good 1st half and can be pleased with his first big start in quite a while; hate to be churlish, but he was middling in H2 and doesn't always use the ball well, (and oh, how his striking is laboured, against superior opposition from now on he will be hooked and dispossessed before he knows it. He and Glynn showed flashes of the bad old days, soloing into trouble and panicking when they realise they've run out of options.)

On the credit side, 2 Mannions showed that good club form still counts for a lot. Harte and Smith quietly did a lot of good things. Jason Flynn will come on from this. Callanan in goal showed that he should have played the '12 replay (and subsequent history might be a lot different.) JC with one hand had a very quiet outing but nobody of his class can ever be completely discounted. Collective heads didn't drop when 3 points down well into the 2nd half. The longer that half went on, the more I though the Galway backs were getting on top , and if there was 5 more minutes left they probably would have gone on to win.

Galway, as the team expected to lose, will maybe take more positives from this match. They will probably have more options to come in the next day but, after a day when both sides were more afraid of losing than winning, management need to be bold now and introduce the necessary changes; McInerney to drop out, also Cooney and one of Glynn / Donnellan. Bring in Lally, Harte/Smith midfield to start, chance starting David Burke and maybe a wild card like Niall Healy / Shane Maloney. No harm to mix it up more. Tullamore not a happy hunting ground though.[/quot

Didn't Glynn destroy Padraic Maher in the championship last year. I thought he played well yesterday until Cunningham for some reason moved him off Chris Crummy. I cant see Galway doing anything without him on the team.

Galway, as the team expected to lose, will maybe take more positives from this match. They will probably have more options to come in the next day but, after a day when both sides were more afraid of losing than winning, management need to be bold now and introduce the necessary changes; McInerney to drop out, also Cooney and one of Glynn / Donnellan. Bring in Lally, Harte/Smith midfield to start, chance starting David Burke and maybe a wild card like Niall Healy / Shane Maloney. No harm to mix it up more. Tullamore not a happy hunting ground though.

That's incredibly hard on Glynn. Sure, he didn't play well on Sunday. But he has had good matched for Galway in the past.

The Galway Hurlers record in O'Connor Park, Tullamore since joining the Leinster SHC in 2009.
    Played: 4
    Drew: 1
    Lost: 3

- 2009 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Kilkenny 2-20 Galway 3-13

- 2011 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Dublin 0-19 Galway 2-07

- 2014 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Galway 5-16 Kilkenny 3-22

- 2014 Leinster SHC Semi-final replay
    Kilkenny 3-19 Galway 1-17

Kinda losing my optimism

That's incredibly hard on Glynn. Sure, he didn't play well on Sunday. But he has had good matched for Galway in the past.

I don't mean it to sound too harsh but for me, he simply isn't consistent enough or a skillful enough player. For sure, had a terrific game last year in Thurles and was good when introduced v KK in the drawn match. He wasn't a factor though in the replay, and his form during the league this year wasn't great, which was continued in Croker. There's a perception that he's very strong in the air, but as I've stated previously, he fumbles an awful lot of ball and only caught one cleanly all day Sunday. For sure, his best position for Galway is in at FF, while Donnellan's is in the HF line; quite strange then (or maybe not!) that the management did things the other way round. Both are similar type players and I don't think there's a need or room for both on the team. Another 'touch' player like Healy or a (fully) fit David Burke would be worth a try IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

T0001 wrote: »
    The Galway Hurlers record in O'Connor Park, Tullamore since joining the Leinster SHC in 2009.
    Played: 4
    Drew: 1
    Lost: 3

- 2009 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Kilkenny 2-20 Galway 3-13

- 2011 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Dublin 0-19 Galway 2-07

- 2014 Leinster SHC Semi-final
    Galway 5-16 Kilkenny 3-22

- 2014 Leinster SHC Semi-final replay
    Kilkenny 3-19 Galway 1-17

Kinda losing my optimism

Tullamore is a football pitch not suited to hurling at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I said wrote: »

very tight pitch like limerick the two 65's seem fairly close , sadly for a galway point of view it will suite the dubs , they much prefer the smaller pitch their record at parnell park as apposed to croker is far superior

they can get a bit lost in the bigger field , i felt galway were a little route one at times and the ball in to the inside forward was'nt great the cross field balls to canning and mannion caused most trouble something that will be harder to execute the next day

A google search shows that Tullamore is 145 x 90.
    Croke Park is 144 x 88(or similar).

It's like when commentators or pundits make that lazy statement on the "wide open spaces of Croker" like it's bigger than every county ground when that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why does Croke Park look bigger, are the cameras higher? Or is it just the large stadium?

• Advertisement

Why does Croke Park look bigger, are the cameras higher? Or is it just the large stadium?

Camera angles and just the fact it has massive stands.
    As far as I remember, there's a few county grounds even bigger than those dimensions, Thurles may have been one.

Hate hearing that lazy media line when a quick search shows it's not a bigger pitch.
    Gets banded about all the time as well.

Camera angles and just the fact it has massive stands.
    As far as I remember, there's a few county grounds even bigger than those dimensions, Thurles may have been one.

Hate hearing that lazy media line when a quick search shows it's not a bigger pitch.
    Gets banded about all the time as well.

Darragh O'Sé explained why Croke Park is 'bigger' on TV3 before. I cant remember his exact explanation, but it has more to do with how close the crowd are to you and how you perceive space rather than the actual dimensions.

Ended up rewatching the game last night when I hadn't planned to.

As well as the multiple goal chances we butchered there was also a few extra passes that would have led to a goal chance had they been executed.... Not including the Mannion one.

Flynn butchered two and Canning one when he fell and tried to pass to Flynn.
    All these were early in the game and would have led to guaranteed points if the goal wasn't risked.

Not sure where the praise of Flynn came from, sure on paper he got two from play but got 1 point from 3 clear goal chances... The middle chance he took a stupid early shot instead of looping for goal.
    It was a replication of the pointed chance, got it at pace and had the outside route.

So with the three chances, and two bad early passes that would have led to two more goal chances that's a bad return for me.
    Would like to see Healy in there next week, id back him to get at least one goal chance if three arose from him.

Glynn is getting some stick but he did a lot that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.
    Got a good hook on a Dub scoring shot, won a scoreable free which Canning missed.
    May actually have won a second scoreable free later but not 100%.
    Also did good work on Dublins puckouts dropping back.
    While he did only catch one ball ppl seem to disregard the fact he won't be fielded over so the team with more support arriving will win the ball around there and sadly again we just fail to get numbers and effort to these breaks.

I can see why AC didn't want to move him to FF when Canning moved out but I still don't think Cyril should have moved in.
    Was nice to see a bit of cohesion for a change up there with only 11 and 14 swooping as I think that's killed us the past few years with too much meaningless switching.

I think there's a lot more positives to take than negatives.
    It's probably our best game since 2012 considering it was a late rally in the draw last year.
    We should have had 4/5 goals, while Dublin missed a goal they got 1 score from the resulting 65.

We got 1 total from ours due to Flynn hitting it too high, the rest resulted in clearances.... That's rare to see 7/8 chances and getting no follow on compensation.
    There was also a two point swing when McGrath missed a shoulder to the back of Cooney which resulted in a free to Dub which Shutte gathered and scored.

Between that swing, the few minutes after the goal(as in not giving up a six lead so quick) and the one point return from a possible 10 odd goal chances there's a lot to be optimistic about next weekend.
    Goals win games, and we saw better evidence on our side with that.

Darragh O'Sé explained why Croke Park is 'bigger' on TV3 before. I cant remember his exact explanation, but it has more to do with how close the crowd are to you and how you perceive space rather than the actual dimensions.

The seating in Croker is farther away from pitch than in Tullamore.
    The camera in Croker is up on the top floor whereas in Tullamore its only about half as high.
    Theres a large open space behind one of the goals in Tullamore whereas Hill 16 is in Croker and adds to the illusion

A google search shows that Tullamore is 145 x 90.
    Croke Park is 144 x 88(or similar).

It's like when commentators or pundits make that lazy statement on the "wide open spaces of Croker" like it's bigger than every county ground when that's not the case.

Agree on the size what I'm trying to say is for whatever reason the pitch itself is not a hurling pitch(bounce and or pace)for whatever reason it just doesn't lend itself to hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is that an excuse for Galway's poor record in Tullamore?

Is that an excuse for Galway's poor record in Tullamore?

No not at all they're well capable of that themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Can Galway play at home yet in the Leinster Hurling Championship?
    If so, how come the replay isn't in Pearse Stadium?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Can Galway play at home yet in the Leinster Hurling Championship?
    If so, how come the replay isn't in Pearse Stadium?

No, they can only play at home if they get a home draw in the All-Ireland Qualifiers :O All 'home' draws they get in Leinster are at neutral venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

@Gilberto_eire i watched the match back as well. I was less optimistic than i was leaving Croke Park on Friday. I would be worried about the fitness of Dublin although hopefully a few of the under 21s will be wrecked. I also wonder how much Joe's hand will recover in a week.

On the positive side i liked the character of the team. for a young guy hanbury will not let others push him around. I thought that there was good interplay with the Galway backs. The forwards need to replicate. Johnny coen was great in the second half. it was right to keep him on but moved off schutte.

I think jonathan glynn should start as he is a big guy and so are many of the dubs. i think cyril donnellan will be much better the next day. i love his work ethic - just needs to improve accuracy.

every one from midfield up scored, except glynn, which is also good.

on balance i am also optimistic

orl wrote: »
    @Gilberto_eire i watched the match back as well. I was less optimistic than i was leaving Croke Park on Friday. I would be worried about the fitness of Dublin although hopefully a few of the under 21s will be wrecked. I also wonder how much Joe's hand will recover in a week.

On the positive side i liked the character of the team. for a young guy hanbury will not let others push him around. I thought that there was good interplay with the Galway backs. The forwards need to replicate. Johnny coen was great in the second half. it was right to keep him on but moved off schutte.

I think jonathan glynn should start as he is a big guy and so are many of the dubs. i think cyril donnellan will be much better the next day. i love his work ethic - just needs to improve accuracy.

every one from midfield up scored, except glynn, which is also good.

on balance i am also optimistic

If you look back on it though, Hanbury made a lot of mistakes that weren't fully noticed or punished. I fear his inexperience could be exploited the next day.

If you look back on it though, Hanbury made a lot of mistakes that weren't fully noticed or punished. I fear his inexperience could be exploited the next day.

Agree, he's been highlighted as a good performer but really did nothing of note.

Dropped a crucial ball at the end. Gave away a needless free. Was always going through the back of people during the league.
    Realistically your 3 should be one of your most dominant players, able to field in a 1v1 and drive out. He doesn't have those traits.

Id put Daithi back there this weekend as while he's our best 6 going forward we may as well just go with three from Tan, Lally, Mac and Collins for now.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=238546
    RTÉ have announced that they will have live coverage of the replayed Leinster SHC quarter-final this weekend.

Michael Lyster will be joined by Eddie Brennan and Tomás Mulcahy at O’Connor Park, with commentary from Marty Morrissey and Donal O’Grady.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Galway team unchanged for the replay on sat. very surprised to see McInerney start again..imo Lally is a far superior hurler and should be starting

I can't see that team starting. Could see Lally or Daithi Burke pop in for Mc. Could bring in Nially Healy for half of the forward line in all honesty.

• Advertisement

It is indeed hard to see the same team starting, yet maybe the management are angling to finish the game with their best team rather than begin it. (Also the possibility of extra-time tomorrow.) I feel Galway will play with more confidence, simply because they survived last Sunday but grave concerns persist over McInerney, Cooney and Glynn, Hanbury too. Will JC be more effective, Harte as effective again, will Donnellan ever finally use possession more cleverly? Sideline simply has to make positional switches with more alacrity than the last day.

It seems management are trying a Limerick of 2013 plan of of finishing with your best 15. It stops them from fading in the last 10-15 mins and can help them mount a genuine comeback if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It is indeed hard to see the same team starting, yet maybe the management are angling to finish the game with their best team rather than begin it. (Also the possibility of extra-time tomorrow.) I feel Galway will play with more confidence, simply because they survived last Sunday but grave concerns persist over McInerney, Cooney and Glynn, Hanbury too. Will JC be more effective, Harte as effective again, will Donnellan ever finally use possession more cleverly? Sideline simply has to make positional switches with more alacrity than the last day.

This smells of yerra talk.

citykat wrote: »
    This smells of yerra talk.

Oh God, no! I've been consistent in these POVs for many months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway footballer Shane Walsh has broken his hand in a fatal car accident in the early hours of this morning.

The42.ie reports that a 55-year-old man from Tuam, who was the driver of one of the cars involved in the crash, was pronounced dead at the scene while Walsh and one other were taken to University Hospital Galway for their injuries.

Nominated for an All-Star and Young Footballer of the Year in 2014, the Kilkerrin/Clonberne clubman was making his way home from a challenge match against Cork in Limerick yesterday evening when the crash happened on the N17, on the Galway City side of Tuam, at around 2.20am this morning.

• Advertisement

Playing Laois in Tullamore Saturday week at 5pm in the Leinster semi. Fairly sure it's on Sky.

Playing Laois in Tullamore Saturday week at 5pm in the Leinster semi. Fairly sure it's on Sky.

it is on sky ya but is it definitely fixed for tullamore?

they really should just have a toss for home venue..there wont be a big crowd at it!

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa-championship-fixtures-2012/leinster-gaa-shc-2012.257.html

seems to be fixed for portlaois at 5pm?

Congrats to Laois, put up a big score today. They have ran us to the wire the last couple of years so can't be taken lightly. We have been down to Portlaoise for championship at least 5 or 6 times the last 10 or 12 years so happy enough to get it in Tullamore. Laois have now got to a level that we can't be gifting them home advantage for the good of promoting hurling like might have been argued until a couple of years ago.

Tactically Laois have got it spot on against Galway the last couple of years and won't leave the kind of space Dublin left for us yesterday evening. Physically Laois will put it up to Galway but today aside Laois didn't do as well as they may have hoped in league or championship along with some behind the scenes issues.

Forewarned should be forearmed here. You'd hope we can push on from yesterday and build a bit of momentum ahead of the Leinster final.

With that result I presume Offaly will be in the round robin next year?

donnem33 wrote: »

It says O'Moore Park or O'Connor Park on that link. We played Offaly in 2012 in Portlaoise so presume that would have been the venue if we were playing Offaly and Tullamore for the game against Laois. I'm going on the Tribesman GAA facebook page which is giving it as Tullamore.

It says O'Moore Park or O'Connor Park on that link. We played Offaly in 2012 in Portlaoise so presume that would have been the venue if we were playing Offaly and Tullamore for the game against Laois. I'm going on the Tribesman GAA facebook page which is giving it as Tullamore.

cheers for that mate

I wasnt sure if they were giving home advantage to the winner..seeing at its a semi its only right it should be in a neutral venue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

It's in O'Connor Park, Tullamore!

Mentioned several times on Midlands 103.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Other semi is listed for Nowlan Park regrdless of who was in it.

Its in Tullamore as Galway have home (lol) advantage so its a neutral venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Does anyone know if there's park and ride available for the Mayo game?
    I seem to remember it a couple of years ago and it was very handy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement