Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

When real teams get a goal they don't pat themselves on the back, they go and get the next score as well. We get the goal to get to within 2 a few minutes from the break. Next score could bring you within 1 at half time and put a few doubts in KK minds but they get the next score. After Flynn's goal, Aidan Harte takes too many steps and Kilkenny are back in their groove again.

What hurts today was that Kilkenny didn't even need to be good to win relatively comfortably. I didn't think we'd win but I'd hoped we'd make them work harder than they had to. They'll know that Tipp would have beaten them on that performance.

We'll see how the draw goes tomorrow. Mentally we need to win in Thurles and at least get to a semi-final to give us something to build on. We have only 1 all-ireland semi-final appearance since 2005. That's an embarrassment for a team who set off each years with designs of being in the shake up. We need to at least try and rectify that statistic. Today wouldn't be good enough to win the quarter final regardless of the opposition. We've had worse days than today but today brings to the fore again how badly there needs to be a shake up at all levels of Galway hurling.

Sorry I know that's a long rant.

The two bolded bits; the first one has always been a problem for us - we score goals and sit back relax and think job done. To add to this; teams like KK and Tipp keep the scoreboard ticking over which we never seem to be able to do - I think it comes down to your point about soloing into trouble; you win a ball in the half back line it should be short pass to half forward; pass to a man in space - over the bar.

The second bolded bit; probably a little harsh imo; teams who've beaten us since 2005;

2006 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2007 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2008 Cork (Worst Galway performance that decade)
    2009 Waterford (Bogey team!)
    2010 Tipperary (Winners)
    2011 Waterford (Bogey team!)
    2012 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2013 Clare (Winners)
    2014 Kilkenny (Winners), Tipperary (Finalists)

So in 6/9 years we've been knocked out by the winners; 2/3 times its been our veritable bogey team when we've actually had a decent run through the qualifiers. ****ing Waterford! :pac:

What I'd take from it is this; overall we've nothing to fear from whoever comes from Limerick, Dublin, Clare or Cork. I'd fancy us to beat whoever we get. Probably rather avoid Clare if possible.

Then we're up against Tipperary/Waterford and you'd be huge underdogs against either so again there's potential to fly under the radar.

Its a very optimistic shout but I could see how we might get a run out in September if we got very lucky and things came together for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway team v Armagh

1. Brian Donoghue
    2. Johnny Duane
    3. Finian Hanley
    4. Cathal Sweeney
    5. Liam Silke
    6. Gary O'Donnell
    7. Gareth Bradshaw
    8. Fiontan Ó Curraoin
    9. Tom Flynn
    10. Gary Sice
    11. Paul Conroy
    12. Sean Denvir
    13. Peadar Óg Ó Griofa
    14. Damien Comer
    15. Micheál Lundy

Interesting that Donohoe is back in goal; I know Breathnach erred badly for Mayo's goal but in fairness it's the type of mistake a goalie will hardly make twice. Maybe it's for tactical kickouts? Hanley probably wasn't going to be dropped but a plan B is really needed here, he's just had too many cleanings in the c'ship for comfort. Bradshaw probably had to return, but Cummin's dropping allied to Denvir moving back to wing-forward and O'Griofa coming in must also be tactical. Denvir may be detailed as a 7th defender but IMHO brings nothing to the party. For all the faint praise Cummins got v Mayo I'm glad to see O'Griofa there instead - worth a start plus Cummins just wastes too much ball. Real big displays needed at 8,9, 11 from players hardly in the best of form.

It can be done if they can recapture the best of their league form but equally they could be blown out of it, sideline has to react more more alacrity than last time if things turn against them.

MfMan wrote: »
    Interesting that Donohoe is back in goal; I know Breathnach erred badly for Mayo's goal but in fairness it's the type of mistake a goalie will hardly make twice. Maybe it's for tactical kickouts? .

It wasn't just a mistake though.
    I would have been for Breathnach fwiw, but when a goalie doesn't go down on a ball and takes the wussy option then his credentials need examining.

If a keeper isn't willing to take a "possible" hit against your biggest rival, at home after a provincial famine then he never will.

It was like something a junior goalie would do(and frankly I've seen goalies bravely collect balls in those games too) and personally speaking if I was manager id find it hard to play him again unless I saw proof in a challenge/training to show that was either a blip or else he rectified it by doing the right thing if it happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Interesting that Donohoe is back in goal; I know Breathnach erred badly for Mayo's goal but in fairness it's the type of mistake a goalie will hardly make twice. Maybe it's for tactical kickouts? Hanley probably wasn't going to be dropped but a plan B is really needed here, he's just had too many cleanings in the c'ship for comfort. Bradshaw probably had to return, but Cummin's dropping allied to Denvir moving back to wing-forward and O'Griofa coming in must also be tactical. Denvir may be detailed as a 7th defender but IMHO brings nothing to the party. For all the faint praise Cummins got v Mayo I'm glad to see O'Griofa there instead - worth a start plus Cummins just wastes too much ball. Real big displays needed at 8,9, 11 from players hardly in the best of form.

It can be done if they can recapture the best of their league form but equally they could be blown out of it, sideline has to react more more alacrity than last time if things turn against them.

Its not the type of mistake you should make once at this level. Hopefully he will bounce back from it as he is a keeper with a lot of potential. However, he could not expect to retain his place after a blunder like that. A club goalkeeper would be worried for his place after a mistake like that.

I think I'd prefer Cummins to start and put Lundy out to the HF line in place of Denvir. Denvir still has a lot to do to convince me he is worth a place on that team. O'Griofa did enough against Mayo to earn himself a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

cson wrote: »
    The two bolded bits; the first one has always been a problem for us - we score goals and sit back relax and think job done. To add to this; teams like KK and Tipp keep the scoreboard ticking over which we never seem to be able to do - I think it comes down to your point about soloing into trouble; you win a ball in the half back line it should be short pass to half forward; pass to a man in space - over the bar.

The second bolded bit; probably a little harsh imo; teams who've beaten us since 2005;

2006 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2007 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2008 Cork (Worst Galway performance that decade)
    2009 Waterford (Bogey team!)
    2010 Tipperary (Winners)
    2011 Waterford (Bogey team!)
    2012 Kilkenny (Winners)
    2013 Clare (Winners)
    2014 Kilkenny (Winners), Tipperary (Finalists)

So in 6/9 years we've been knocked out by the winners; 2/3 times its been our veritable bogey team when we've actually had a decent run through the qualifiers. ****ing Waterford! :pac:

What I'd take from it is this; overall we've nothing to fear from whoever comes from Limerick, Dublin, Clare or Cork. I'd fancy us to beat whoever we get. Probably rather avoid Clare if possible.

Then we're up against Tipperary/Waterford and you'd be huge underdogs against either so again there's potential to fly under the radar.

Its a very optimistic shout but I could see how we might get a run out in September if we got very lucky and things came together for us.

A part of me laughs at the "bogey team" stuff, but in fairness there's truth to it. Being honest I've always expected to beat Galway. I was a little concerned going into the match in 2011 after our Munster Final performance, but I thought they'd bounce back enough for the next day. But I say it's a fair enough term because I am a little surprised that there hasn't been a day where we haven't turned up and the calls go against us and we'd lose. I thought 2009 was going to be that day actually. I wasn't worried going into the match, but we put in a shocking display and then Canning had a wide waved over (hard call for the umpire to be fair) and Eoin Kelly had a blatant point waved wide, so I thought it was going to be one of those days. But we finished strongly to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

blue note wrote: »
    A part of me laughs at the "bogey team" stuff, but in fairness there's truth to it. Being honest I've always expected to beat Galway. I was a little concerned going into the match in 2011 after our Munster Final performance, but I thought they'd bounce back enough for the next day. But I say it's a fair enough term because I am a little surprised that there hasn't been a day where we haven't turned up and the calls go against us and we'd lose. I thought 2009 was going to be that day actually. I wasn't worried going into the match, but we put in a shocking display and then Canning had a wide waved over (hard call for the umpire to be fair) and Eoin Kelly had a blatant point waved wide, so I thought it was going to be one of those days. But we finished strongly to be fair.

Diarmuid Kirwan's man of the match performance for ye that day was vital in swinging the game back in ye're favour in the last 10 minutes or so though in fairness!

Diarmuid Kirwan's man of the match performance for ye that day was vital in swinging the game back in ye're favour in the last 10 minutes or so though in fairness!

Really? That's why you think you lost that day? I think being able to bring Big Dan off the bench had a lot more to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Really? That's why you think you lost that day? I think being able to bring Big Dan off the bench had a lot more to do with it.

The Waterford Bogey team is a funny one. I can't vouch for the games pre our metting in 98 but for all our matches since then Waterford were simply a better team with better players and thats why we won them all. That's just my opinion of course but over that time Waterford would have had consistently better championship performances than Galway too which would support the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I thought I read somewhere that Breathnach had a nightmare in a challenge game after the Mayo defeat. Not sold on O'Donoghue but that would make sense if Breathnach is off form. Fantastic shot stopper but awful kickouts with even worse options available to him for them.

• Advertisement

I might be called biased but from memory(and I didn't know him at the time) he was awful.
    Gave like one free to Galway in the second half or something ridicules.
    I was at the league game against Clare last year in Ennis and again he was awful, seems to genuinely have something against Galway... The only ref I can say that about.

I might be called biased but from memory(and I didn't know him at the time) he was awful.
    Gave like one free to Galway in the second half or something ridicules.
    I was at the league game against Clare last year in Ennis and again he was awful, seems to genuinely have something against Galway... The only ref I can say that about.

Ah, I think every ref is biased against Waterford and everyone thinks the ref favoured the other team after every game, particularly defeats. And Mullane used to draw an awful lot of fouls, but he drew so many I think refs if anything were reluctant to give him frees at times when he was clearly fouled. And Waterford at the time (and still) are actually very disciplined. We've never been a team to concede a lot of frees.

I do remember the two wrong calls for the points though. Cannings was a bullet from a tight angle. It was the wrong call, but was very tough for the umpires. Kelly's was a beautiful volley that went over the black spot. I genuinely don't think the linesmen were looking at all, because I had a perfect line on it and it went over the middle of the posts. It was an outrageous call.

Anyway, sure if you think the ref was awful in favour of us fair enough. And if you think he was the difference that's fair enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Little talk about the football Sunday. Although I've spoken to a lot of people who took some optimism from the Mayo game, to be honest I amn't one of them. I expected Armagh to be stronger under McGeeney but their two championship performances to date have been distinctly average by all accounts. If Galway want to try and make a case that they are making progress this is a game they must win. Personally I can't see Kevin Walsh improving this team significantly but after small steps forward from effectively an all time low over the last couple of seasons this is a huge test.

We didn't deliver in a poor league, we failed to deliver against Mayo. If Armagh set up defensively where are the scores going to come from. 10 scores in 70 minutes was a poor return against Mayo and we didn't shoot the lights out against Leitrim or during the league. Being honest I don't see leadership on or off the pitch in this Galway setup and in a tight battle Armagh have the better management. I really hope to be wrong but Sunday will probably be the end of our year and will knock us back a couple of steps again.

Little talk about the football Sunday. Although I've spoken to a lot of people who took some optimism from the Mayo game, to be honest I amn't one of them. I expected Armagh to be stronger under McGeeney but their two championship performances to date have been distinctly average by all accounts. If Galway want to try and make a case that they are making progress this is a game they must win. Personally I can't see Kevin Walsh improving this team significantly but after small steps forward from effectively an all time low over the last couple of seasons this is a huge test.

We didn't deliver in a poor league, we failed to deliver against Mayo. If Armagh set up defensively where are the scores going to come from. 10 scores in 70 minutes was a poor return against Mayo and we didn't shoot the lights out against Leitrim or during the league. Being honest I don't see leadership on or off the pitch in this Galway setup and in a tight battle Armagh have the better management. I really hope to be wrong but Sunday will probably be the end of our year and will knock us back a couple of steps again.

Really huge match for both teams. Win and it will be a decent season. Lose and it will be an extremely poor season. Real championship match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Armagh were not Championship level against Donegal. McKeever is a huge loss, even if only for his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

While Mayo was very disappointing, there were positives, far more than Armagh wouldve taken against Donegal, or Wicklow (judging by reports). I'd just fear the team isn't quite ready yet to go up to a place like Armagh and get a win. Being realistic we'll be lucky to have 300 fans up there, and the team may still be quite down after Mayo. All things being equal, I think we're a slightly better team than Armagh. Midfield is an area we should be winning, so time for the two lads to really step up at this level. If we win the possesion battle I think we've enough up front to win, altho getting slightly baffled by the Denvir love-in at this stage. Danny Cummins, or even moreso Paul Varley, must be feeling very hard done by

• Advertisement

They always come across as the nicest guys looking to shake hands and share water during breaks but if they don't stand up for themselves physically they'll be well beaten. One thing about Walsh's reign so far is that there were times in that Mayo match where guys like Duane were going in to challenges fearlessly and winning ball and rising the crowd as a result. That kind of passion was non-existent in Mullholland's time (not slating him because I think he did a good job). Think the only moment close to that was when Sice coincidentally knocked some Armagh lad on his arse after handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

redlead wrote: »
    The Waterford Bogey team is a funny one. I can't vouch for the games pre our metting in 98 but for all our matches since then Waterford were simply a better team with better players and thats why we won them all. That's just my opinion of course but over that time Waterford would have had consistently better championship performances than Galway too which would support the theory.

wouldn't go along with all of that. Am I right in thinking that Waterford have only been in semifinals since 98 in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010. Galway have been in semifinals in 1999, 2001, 2005 and 2012 so about even I would think.

orl wrote: »
    wouldn't go along with all of that. Am I right in thinking that Waterford have only been in semifinals since 98 in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010. Galway have been in semifinals in 1999, 2001, 2005 and 2012 so about even I would think.

No, you'd be wrong. Galway got knocked out against clare in the quarter final in 99, so made the semis 3 times in that time - 01, 05 and 12. Waterford made the semis 9 times - 98, 02, 04, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Or maybe it was the fact that Galway went 15 minutes (48-63) in the second half without scoring

No, you'd be wrong. Galway got knocked out against clare in the quarter final in 99, so made the semis 3 times in that time - 01, 05 and 12. Waterford made the semis 9 times - 98, 02, 04, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 and 11.

Hands up. I didn't check it. Did a quick count in my head and got it wrong.

• Advertisement

Definitely think we have the beating of Cork. I know the conditions were bad but a huge amount of wides for this stage in the competition. Their sweeper system is effective but man for man i think we have better hurlers. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

ya but only one all ireland final compared to galway's three

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    While Mayo was very disappointing, there were positives, far more than Armagh wouldve taken against Donegal, or Wicklow (judging by reports). I'd just fear the team isn't quite ready yet to go up to a place like Armagh and get a win. Being realistic we'll be lucky to have 300 fans up there, and the team may still be quite down after Mayo. All things being equal, I think we're a slightly better team than Armagh. Midfield is an area we should be winning, so time for the two lads to really step up at this level. If we win the possesion battle I think we've enough up front to win, altho getting slightly baffled by the Denvir love-in at this stage. Danny Cummins, or even moreso Paul Varley, must be feeling very hard done by

Varley has done very very little in a Galway jersey to warrant a place. Silke (through his Corofin performances) & Bradshaw are better players imo.

I am a little baffled about Denvir too. And it's never a good sign when a player is constantly being selected in different positions.

Varley has done very very little in a Galway jersey to warrant a place. Silke (through his Corofin performances) & Bradshaw are better players imo.

I am a little baffled about Denvir too. And it's never a good sign when a player is constantly being selected in different positions.

Can't disagree more. Thought he was easily our standout player in the backs in last years championship, was good when he played in the league both the past two years, and excellent in the under 21 campaign a few years ago. I probably sound like a Cortoon man but i'm not. I do think Bradshaw and Silke are good players so i'm not saying its clearcut, just think he's been hard done by to get no playing time atal, even as a sub. he's better than Denvir though, of that im certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good win for the footballers.

One of those tight games in a qualifier finally goes the way of the footballers. Sounded like the midfield were teleported into another dimension for the last 20 minutes after playing a stormer from very early on.

Danny Cummins sounded very defensively minded today when he came on. Fair play to Kevin and the lads.

One of those tight games in a qualifier finally goes the way of the footballers. Sounded like the midfield were teleported into another dimension for the last 20 minutes after playing a stormer from very early on.

Danny Cummins sounded very defensively minded today when he came on. Fair play to Kevin and the lads.

Sounds from the radio like one of these wins where you really have to quarry it out. Good character builder anyway. Roll on the next draw, could do with a home fixture this time though.

Neutral venues for the next game isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone know the possibilities? As far as I can gather it's the northern teams?? So possibly Derry/Tyrone with Tipp the other one?? Don't know though..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

I can imagine that's one of the reasons Danny didn't start, with Denvir preferred for the defensive duties. Sounds like he did well when he came on scored a point and won 14 yard free.

Overall a good win, Armagh aren't great by any stretch but no team would fancy playing them on their patch regardless. Subs needed to be brought on earlier as it sounded like we fatigued badly late on. Hoare, Steede might have been good options to bring some physicality.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Anyone know the possibilities? As far as I can gather it's the northern teams?? So possibly Derry/Tyrone with Tipp the other one?? Don't know though..

Yes one of those 3. We haven't beaten many teams of significance in recent years so an important win. Once again we weren't ruthless when we had them on the ropes and made the finish nervy but at this stage a win is a win. Hopefully a home draw in the next round. Wouldn't fear any of the 3 but no handy draw either.

Neutral venues for the next game isn't it?

Wasn't two years ago but was last year.

We are only in Round 3 now so neutral venues not until Round 4.

haha fcuking brilliant!! Really happy with that, such a tough place to play and they grinded it out. Cummins and Sweeney great stuff. Nothing like a thick nordie crowd to make a win sweeter! Plenty to work on alright but stilla great game to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Fair play to them. Just saw the highlights there on the Sunday Game. Seemed like they were excellent for 50 minutes and then fell asleep and ended up just falling over the line.

The won made all the sweeter there after seeing McGeeney's interview. Not one bit of grace or class in it. Never congratulated our lads at all, just gave a Davey style interview giving out about the penalty decision. Never in a month of Sundays was it a penalty. What a complete whinger

Fair play to them. Just saw the highlights there on the Sunday Game. Seemed like they were excellent for 50 minutes and then fell asleep and ended up just falling over the line.

The won made all the sweeter there after seeing McGeeney's interview. Not one bit of grace or class in it. Never congratulated our lads at all, just gave a Davey style interview giving out about the penalty decision. Never in a month of Sundays was it a penalty. What a complete whinger

To be fair about it he probably gave a more comprehensive interview and this section was taken out of it for the Sunday Game. I'm not a fan of post match interviews. Its hard enough as a supporter to process your thoughts never mind being a manager asked to comment after 9 months work has ended in disappointment.

To me it wasn't a penalty but the Fermanagh one probably wasn't either. McGeeney has much bigger problems to look at. For all the flak Grimley took while in charge of Armagh, McGeeney hasn't improved them significantly if at all.

Listening to the radio, it appeared we had plenty of chances at 6 or 7 up to kill it and that is where we need to learn. Its a typical Galway mentality in all sports, we get a few points up and start patting ourselves on the back.

Same with the hurling last week we get goals to haul us into the game but immediately KK regained the initiative through our mistakes. Serious teams follow up a goal with 2,3,4 points and ensure that issues like the penalty and the blacks cards at the end aren't a talking point.

We won't win a game from here on in not scoring in the final 21 minutes but after Mayo the result was all that mattered today. Hopefully that win can give us the confidence to push on for next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Beating Derry in Salthill should be achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Derry were shocking bad in the second half against a Down team reduced to 14 players. If they play anything like that again on Saturday you'd have to give Galway a great chance of winning.

Good draw. We'll be reasonable favourites here, but Derry should pose enough of a challenge, especially physically to keep then focused. Win here and it's a weeks break before a Neutral final qualifier vs the Ulster loser, Monoghan prob, or Sligo. A quarter final is very very possible, and it'll be a real achievement if we manage it this time rather than last year where we got somewhat of a soft run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Any draw where we weren't drawn away to Tyrone or Derry has to be considered acceptable. Certainly a very winnable game if the lads perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

5 clock in pearse. Hopefully get a big crowd there to cheer them on as we have been outnumbered by Northern sides whenever we have played them at home league/champioship over last few years. This tie will test whether we can live with sides physically as Derry are very strong physically in middle third and through spine of the side.

If we win Sunday we will play the looser of either connacht/ulster finals which we should fancy our chances against

Galway Minors v Limerick 12pm

Dublin v Waterford 2pm

Cork-Galway 4pm

Good day out Sunday week

Galway Minors v Limerick 12pm

Dublin v Waterford 2pm

Cork-Galway 4pm

Good day out Sunday week

I think i'll stay in the pub for this part. Painful stuff watching Limerick and Dublin at the weekend

Walsh said in the Irish Indo that he wanted a tough draw at home. Good attitude and he got what he wanted.

The good thing about yesterday is that most players played their part at some point. O'Donogue's kick-outs were also very good, finding a Galway back with all of his short kick-outs (except once). It should be the same team the next day with one change - Cummins in for Denvir & Lundy to number 12. The team that started the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Are conor cooney, david collins or niall burke near return?jason flynn should be fully recovered from injury,I'd fancy galway in this one

• Advertisement

The big question mark I'd have over Galway for Saturday is whether we can move the ball with the tempo required. So often during the last few years against any kind of semi-organised blanket defence we have seen Galway amble over and back across the field with hand passing with no real purpose, no one really taking on responsibility, no conviction to what we are trying to do and inevitably we get turned over.

Derry have held two All-Ireland contenders to 0-8 and 1-9 so they have the ability to keep us to a low score and they have the ammunition up front to put us away if they get a decent share of the ball. We need to get the tempo high from the off and our more experienced players need to show the leadership in bringing the ball forward that they haven't shown too often in recent years.

Having said all that from what I have seen of Derry in the last couple of years, there'd be similar questions over their mentality as Galway. Fell over the line against a weak 14 man Down side at home, lost to Longford at home last year after self-destructing from a winning position at home to Donegal in Ulster. Lost to Down in 2013.

It'll be a tight one, hopefully home advantage will help tilt it our way.

I think in games like Saturday with the blanket, you need as many players who can kick a long range point as possible. Conroy and Sice would be obvious ones. We'll probably see O'Griofa and Comer drift out at stages. Flynn is well able with the foot but never seems to have the confidence at county level. Would love to have Shane Walsh for this one, even on the bench. Probably a bit too soon

1 positive is that Galway away is probably the worst draw for Derry. Its an awkward journey for them.

1 positive is that Galway away is probably the worst draw for Derry. Its an awkward journey for them.

Would have thought also that the game would have been fixed for earlier, to allow Derry fans travel home the same day if desirable. As it is, they won't be leaving Galway much before 6.45pm at least, and it'll take them a good hour to reach Milltown/Ballindine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would have thought also that the game would have been fixed for earlier, to allow Derry fans travel home the same day if desirable. As it is, they won't be leaving Galway much before 6.45pm at least, and it'll take them a good hour to reach Milltown/Ballindine.

Arts Festival on, Kodaline playing a gig in the big top that evening, Galway Utd playing a Liverpool XI early in the afternoon. Galway will be absolutely wedged on Saturday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement