Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can you use a flashgun just to assist focus, but not flash?

• 14-02-2011 4:31pm

Hey all,

Not the most knowledgeable on flashguns, or their workings, so there's every possiblity i've no idea what I'm talking about, but I was wondering:

That little 'ol redlight that is built into the front of the flash gun (I use Metz 48 AF-1), that is shone onto your subject as you compose your photograph.. I assume it's there to assist the camera with proper focusing?

Obviously you'll not have much use for a flashgun in an incredibly well lit area, so they've built that in to assist with darker times when the camera would otherwise focus-hunt?

If I'm right in saying that, can I ask, is there any way to use a flashgun on your camera to take photographs, but only use it to assist focus, and not actually fire the flash when you press the shutter button?

With the combo of a 20D and 50mm 1.8, I find my focus will hunt at gigs. The light is terrible and more often than not, I end up in manual mode, trying to get a somewhat accurate focus, and then burst shooting as I continue to refine my focus. I reckon with a flash gun's help, I could lock focus much more successfully, but i wouldn't want flash, as it'd take the atmosphere out of the image.

Anyone ever thought of this before and found out if it's do-able?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

You could have the flash head turned backwards and maybe have a cover over the head. The focus assist would still work maybe satisfactory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't know what camera you're using, or what the functions on the flash are like, but yes, you should be able to turn off your flashgun firing and just use if for AF Assist - some cameras/flashes have this as a custom function, if you can dig it out in the manuals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Turn on AF, and Flash on, Aim so it focuses, Disable AF and turn off flash, shoot - when taking next set of shots, Repeat. Thats what I do, cause I normally check the shots anyway :P

That's an incredibly complicated process, when you could most likely just turn off the flash firing, and keep your AF on, and not have to worry about flicking switches when you're shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

With the Canon 580EXII you can turn the flash off in the menu options of the camera, while the focus assist stills functions as normal.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, there's a custom function on all the Canon EX range too. It's some obscure combination of buttons, but I'm sure a quick Google will sort it out if anyone is stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Also Canon ST-E2 wireless flash controller has built in focus assist lights and is much lighter than a flashgun. It can also be used to control several off camera flashes (its main purpose).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Or just use the flash light as it is dark? Bounce it off the roof or set it to manual and its lowest power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Just tried what Al said wit the canon 430 exii and it works excellent just go to menu>external speedlight control>flash function settings> and set fire flash to no! very handy :)

Googled about a bit, seems the Metz 48 AF-1 doesn't offer the option to turn off the flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

If its a Nikon you can defo do it. just go to flash settings, commander mode and set the flash to "--" instead of TTL or M.

couldnt tell ya as far as other camera's go, maybe someone else will have a solution.

Advertisement