Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag for beginners -- how to prepare?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

So I've never played rugby before, but I've just signed up for a tag team in the ITRA Spring League.

Now given the constant encouragement that it's the everyman's sport, fit for beginners and veterans alike, I'm confident enough that my lack of experience should not hinder me too much. I'm relatively fit, if perhaps not the fastest, while I've been following rugby for long enough to at least comprehend the basic tactics (some of which, from what I've read, apply to tag also).

However, I don't want to walk in the door* completely blind on day one. So would anyone have tips for drills, exercises, training approaches, etc, to take in the lead-up? I don't know any of them yet, so this would be focused mainly on what I can do to prepare for that first session in about five weeks' time.

From handling to speed, to muscle areas and tactics, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

* It's in a field, really, so that's metaphorical. May or may not be the one Paul McCartney sang about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

5 weeks is plenty of time assuming you have a decent level of fitness.
    To build pace and leg strength I would follow a program like the following.
    Week 1 and 2 - 3 times a week
    10 mins easy jog
    5 mins stretching (calfs, hamstrings, quads, groin)
    10 mins running - 1 minute easy followed by 30 seconds at 80% effort
    do this say five times. (you can improvise here also - maybe 1 min hard 2 mins easy etc. make sure you can recover properly between bursts don't overdo the pace)
    5 minutes stretching
    Work on core and upper body - 30 sit ups and 10 push ups (if able do more)
    2 min cool down jog.

Week 3 and 4
    Basically the same as above but decreasing the amount of recovery time between bursts and increasing the amount of sit ups and push ups and doing more core work like arm-raises and leg raises - plenty of core exercises on line.

Week 5
    Week before you get playing so after a good warm up of say 2k get in some shorter sprints or shuttles - i.e running 50 meters turning and jogging back do 5 press ups and take off x 5times, run 40 meters turn and jog back x 5 and finally 30 meters x 5.
    Also practice running backwards, sideways as you will need to in games.

This should get you in decent shape I think, well it does me for preseason hurling training.
    The rugby handling and skills bit I will leave for someone with more knowldge.

Advertisement