Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my cat meow so much?

• 14-02-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I have two cats, a male and female, (both spayed,neutered etc). The male meows occasionally if he wants something etc but the female just meows at me constantly.

She doesn't seem to want anything, shes a stray we took in as an older kitten so shes still fairly skittish about being petted etc. She will tolerate you picking her up and petting her without seeming scared etc but she will escape from you as soon as she can get away.

I have had cats before but never one that meowed so much! Is she just chatty or what?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Sounds like one of my guys. He's got oriental in him, whether siamese or not, I'm not sure, but by the gods can that cat talk. Some cats are just more chatty than others. Our two kittens will meow loudly as they search for each other- the female cant seem to relax unless she knows where her brother is. Its gotten to the point where we've learned to just live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Ruling out the fact that she might be hungry, thirsty or unwell....she might just be vocal!
    My little one is like this - constantly voicing her opinion :). I swear sometimes she is talking to me. Yet I am the only one allowed to pick her up and even at that, she might push me away to be left down. She was taken from the mother quite young (rescued from shelter at 6 weeks) hence why she is so clingy.

Only cause for concern is meowing while using the litter tray, meowing and a diminished appetite or any other signs of distress.

Just keep an eye and in the meantime, talk back! Cats are great listeners. OK maybe not, but at least they dont watch Sky Sport news while you tell them about your day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

No meowing when in the litter tray etc, food and water is always there so no problems there.

Yeah I guess shes just really really chatty, it does almost feel like shes trying to talk to me alright.:D Suppose I'll just have to get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

No meowing when in the litter tray etc, food and water is always there so no problems there.

Yeah I guess shes just really really chatty, it does almost feel like shes trying to talk to me alright.:D Suppose I'll just have to get used to it!

Last time we got back from vacation, and my two furballs were still in the cattery - the house felt so empty! I was so glad to hear herself screeching as she came back in the door. You dont realise how much you miss it till its gone.

Advertisement