Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem:CPU @ 100% once I open "My Documents"

• 14-02-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

My CPU maxes only when I open my documents...The script responsible is ntdll.dll!rtlAllocateHeap+0x18c

Im pretty sure I'm virus free as spyboy and Mcafee have found zilch.

Has anyone had this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to C&T.

OP, what processes are spiking when you open the folder. Do you have any mapped folders in MD?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Have you got auto updates on. Read somewhere that auto updates can cause this.
    Can you use task manager and see what is running so high a usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're running XP?
    You got that information from Process Explorer, right clicking on explorer and seeing this as the thread that was eating up your CPU?

That line isn't a process. It's a memory allocation routine in a thread being called by some unknown process. This process is presumably something that's hooked into explorer (e.g. all those shell handlers that are used when you right click).

In process explorer, under the explorer.exe section, is the high CPU under a rundll32.exe entry? If so if you hover the mouse over the entry then it'll list the target program that rundll is being used to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

To start, uninstall McAfee and get a better free alternative, give your pc a whole new lease of life. McAfee is a hog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Try run this
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix

Can remove some stuff that malwarebytes can't find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

ressem wrote: »
    You're running XP?
    You got that information from Process Explorer, right clicking on explorer and seeing this as the thread that was eating up your CPU?

That line isn't a process. It's a memory allocation routine in a thread being called by some unknown process. This process is presumably something that's hooked into explorer (e.g. all those shell handlers that are used when you right click).

In process explorer, under the explorer.exe section, is the high CPU under a rundll32.exe entry? If so if you hover the mouse over the entry then it'll list the target program that rundll is being used to run.

Thanks for all the help guys...

I've attached a screenshot of this problem.

As you can see, i've real trouble trying to identify the spike culprit.

148192.jpg

funk-you wrote: »
    Moved to C&T.

OP, what processes are spiking when you open the folder. Do you have any mapped folders in MD?

-Funk

Hi Funk,

All I can see is that explorer.exe goes through the roof as soon as I open "My Documents"..I go to process explorer and suspend the threat but then this disables MD.I have no mapped folders that I'm aware of. A really strange situation that i've never encountered before.The web is flush with this problem but no solution I've found yet. I can open my pictures and my music folders no probs, but for some reason, MD is a no-no.

Ok select that entry, then click on the 'stack' button below.

This should list the trail of threads that lead to this ntdll being called.
    If you provide this list then we might be able to find the item at fault.

ressem wrote: »
    Ok select that entry, then click on the 'stack' button below.

This should list the trail of threads that lead to this ntdll being called.
    If you provide this list then we might be able to find the item at fault.

~Ok I clicked stack and got the screenshot below:

I then suspended and resumed the threat and got this:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x8d
    ntkrnlpa.exe!PsLookupThreadByThreadId+0x4abc
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDeliverApc+0xb3
    hal.dll+0x2c35
    AviSplitter.ax+0xfc05
    AviSplitter.ax+0x37f4

Not sure what this avisplitter is about...Is this the culprit?

148320.jpg

Do you have a codec pack installed?

• Advertisement

Do you have a codec pack installed?

Pretty sure I do as I've never had an issue with viewing/editing video files before..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If you have thumbnail view set change it to list view and see if it changes anything. If this resolves it then you have a codec issue.

Try removing it and installing the latest version.
    They tend to install extra utilities along with the codecs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi,
    Do you have video files? It sounds to me like a media preview problem. It'll happen when you view the folder as thumbnails or if you click on a problem file (or it's the first file in the folder). Windows tries to take a small image capture from video files to display in the sidebar on the left. Issues like yours occur when a codec is unsupported or a file is corrupted (maybe a partial download). I've included options for image preview below, but it's almost certain to be the media preview that's the problem.

Try this:
    1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter) In the window that opens type these commands to turn on and off media preview (it's seperate for images and video)

2) To remove image preview, type this and hit enter:
    regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

3) To restore image preview, type this and hit enter :
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

4) To remove media preview, type this and hit enter :
    regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

5) To restore media preview, type this and hit enter :
    regsvr32 shmedia.dll

I don't think you'll miss media preview if you turn it off, the thumbnail for videos is the first frame of a video which is usually all black. The only thing you might miss is stuff like the 'length' for audio and video files and tags like 'artist' 'title' etc. that you will no longer be able to see for media files in explorer, because they're part of the same service.

Rather than disabling all media previews, it should be possible to do a search for avisplitter.ax under program files. What directory is it uninstalled under (k-lite?) and can that program be uninstalled/ upgraded?

Otherwise open a command window as administrator, cd to that directory.
    then

regsvr32 /u avisplitter.ax

Or if you open autoruns from sysinternals, it may appear in the list under the 'explorer' tab in which case you can deselect it.

Turns out it was this recently installed program called Format Factory that was the problem. I searched for the avisplitter.ax file and found him in the Format Factory folder. I changed the extension to .bax and hey presto..prob solved.

Thanks for all the help guys in solving this...Back in business:D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    To start, uninstall McAfee and get a better free alternative, give your pc a whole new lease of life. McAfee is a hog

The NUIG University IT department here has free McAfee antivirus for students, so i've always used it.

...A bit off topic but what antivirus do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The NUIG University IT department here has free McAfee antivirus for students, so i've always used it.

...A bit off topic but what antivirus do you use?

If you don't mind paying for one, Nod32
    http://www.eset.ie/
    Its very easy on system resources and its detection rates are great. It also doesn't nag. Its what I use myself on all 3 pc's

For free I'd recommend Avast
    http://www.avast.com/en-eu/index
    They will make you register with your email and will try to tempt you buy the paid version but read on through the small print and see the option for the free version

Advertisement