Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were to get Coley fillets..?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 5:19pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Mrs was watching a Jamie Oliver show a while ago and he did a Coley Korma dish,it sounds very nice.So I popped out to Howth today on the way home from work to try and pick up some coley fillets,they only had smoked coley which I bought anyway and will have later but I don't think it can be used for this dish.

So does anybody know were to get non smoked coley fillets..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Never seen non-smoked coley anywhere tbh....it seems to be the default smoked fish these days.

I guess you could try subbing haddock or another similar white fish. I've had a couple of fish curry fails recently so would advise something that won't fall apart easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Dub13 wrote: »
    The Mrs was watching a Jamie Oliver show a while ago and he did a Coley Korma dish,it sounds very nice.So I popped out to Howth today on the way home from work to try and pick up some coley fillets,they only had smoked coley which I bought anyway and will have later but I don't think it can be used for this dish.

So does anybody know were to get non smoked coley fillets..?

You can use any white fish. I made this last week - really tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks will have to try it with haddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ask them if they have White Pollock, Coley is Black Pollock.
    Most if not all Black Pollock goes to be dyed orange and called smoked coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ask them if they have White Pollock, Coley is Black Pollock.
    Most if not all Black Pollock goes to be dyed orange and called smoked coley.
    you can get a bag of frozen skinned pollock fillets in Lidl ;)

• Advertisement

bikerjohn wrote: »
    you can get a bag of frozen skinned pollock fillets in Lidl ;)
    Thats Alaskan Pollack, different fish entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

A lot of smoked Coley is even sold as smoked Haddock, coley is much cheaper than haddock and more plentiful

flan59 wrote: »
    A lot of smoked Coley is even sold as smoked Haddock, coley is much cheaper than haddock and more plentiful
    I am not so sure on that., I can't speak for all fishmongers but It would be hard to pass off Coley fillets as Haddock, Most smoked Haddock here is Scottish and even the biggest fillets are nowhere near the size of smoked Coley or the same colour.
    Coley is dyed 99 % of the time, Haddock is usually properly smoked and is much paler in colour.
    Here is a Haddock fillet, note the round black spot just back from the thick end of the fillet.haddock-1a.jpg
    Now look at Black Pollack, the colour is much darker, Greenish black and the lateral line is white not dark like Haddock.
    pollock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats Alaskan Pollack, different fish entirely.
    I have caught a lot of pollock on rod and in nets in my time and the only difference between Alaskan pollock and Irish pollock, that I can make out is that one is Alaskan and one is from Ireland :D

OH! and the first one is frozen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

CJ, to some extent you are correct, what is in Pic 1 is indeed Smoked Haddock as it should be, but how many places do you see what is sold as Smoked Haddock being the same colour as the board in your pic. What you are getting when it is dark orange is dyed and smoked fish of various kinds including Pollock sold as Haddock. Cost is the deciding factor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement