Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD stipend Inlusive of fees

Options
  • 14-02-2011 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I am wondering if someone could explain to me what exactly this stipend could be defined as:

22,000 pa inclusive of fees.

I have been offered a PhD position and it states this is the stipend...

I presumed this to mean that the stipend is 22,000 and your fees as inclusive is defined as including... but I have been told that my fees will be taken from this 22,000. I would have thought it would then be explained as 22,000 exclusive of fees?

Can anyone tell me which is right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CoinOperated

My stipend was similarly worded and what it meant in my case was that this was the amount set out to cover both my salary and my fees, so the Uni took the fees out of the 22k (or whatever the figure) and paid me the rest as an untaxed salary. Is this a funding body that perhaps your supervisor has worked with before? Maybe they would be more familiar with the body's usual practices in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

"22,000 plus fees" would mean that your fees would be paid and you'd receive €22,000 to live on.

"22,000 inclusive of fees" means that the €22,000 already includes the money designated for fees, so you will receive the remainder to live on.

Sorry to bear bad news! Though you're still funded, so look on the bright side :)

Advertisement