Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Shared) office space for entrepreneurs in Dublin

Options
  • 14-02-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm wondering what options there are for entrepreneurs starting out who require a desk space, in Dublin?

My options are to work from home or to go to coffee shops etc. Neither are ideal and I'd like to be able to meet other start ups, and have a more formal space to work in.

I looked in to the Guinness Enterprise Centre. Their charge is 200/month for a desk in a shared office space and then they charge 40 per month on top of that for internet access :confused:

I had a look on Daft but there aren't many results. I would have thought a lot of companies would be trying to fill empty desks in their offices to cut down on some costs.

Any tips appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

There's this place:

http://amworks.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Working from home can be very boring. Your right to go and get space if it makes sense financially.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Maybe go knocking on doors. Lots of businesses who have laid off staff have some empty offices and would be happy to give a start up some space if it helped cover their over heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Junction Studios

Hi,

We currently have 2 desks still available in our premises. Most of the companies in Junction Studios are start-ups also.
    In creating Junction Studios we have managed to create a communications collective in which clients can hand pick every kind of communications service, in which they require, without the large agency expense.

To find out more about the space available, please have a look on gumtree...
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/98/67253298.html

We would love to have you in to have a look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

The ITB Linc center would be worth a look, i'm a student in ITB and have worked in the center over the summer. They offer incubation space for start ups and other things.
    http://www.itb.ie/IndustryInnovation/progsupport.html

Plus you have the added benefit of getting student volounteers (coffee slaves) to help you in your line of work. Itb run degree courses in a lot of different fields. I'm in business.

Also there's a subsidised canteen, nice fry breakies for €4 :)

I think you'd need to talk with Assumpta Harvey, she runs the linc and is quite a lovely person. Not sure what the rates are for the linc.

edit,/ other perks would be proximity to the blanch shopping centre, and the huge indutrial estates that house big corps, Quinn insurance and Ebay are in blanch i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

Hi Cianos,

How is your search going? What were the best prices you found?
    I am at a very early stage of a start-up myself and I need reasonably priced office to take people on and get working on the project. Maybe there is a possibility of pooling resources?

Good Luck & Rgds,
    Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

These guys are seriously good http://www.amworks.ie/

Went to one of their free trial days, great place, open plan office, fantastic atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

Is that €260 per month per person?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Seems like it, but there also seems to be other options http://www.amworks.ie/rates

Which would be good if you only wanted to go in for half the week.

Not sure it's for me because I dont really want to commute into town, but I think you can also drop in per day for something like 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Mozart1986 wrote: »
    Hi Cianos,

How is your search going? What were the best prices you found?
    I am at a very early stage of a start-up myself and I need reasonably priced office to take people on and get working on the project. Maybe there is a possibility of pooling resources?

Good Luck & Rgds,
    Ciarán

I haven't made much progress on this as of yet. I'm thinking of going for the half week plan in amworks, even for a month, to see how it goes. Will keep the thread updated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

I dont want to hi-jack the thread, but looking at something similar myself

and just a quick question someone might be able to help me with what would be a comfortable area size per person 5 - 6 sq feet or what would you recommend

so if I have four people be looking at c. 30 square feet or am I way off

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ClaireDublin_

We have space available , new building rather large. Located in Bray in a new office park. 3 desks available and 1 room if privacy required.

Bit far out but I go against the traffic from town every day so takes the pain out of commuting!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mazimillion

Try Capital Sales & Storage in Blanchardstown, www.salesandstorage.ie - I think its around €100 per month (Not including Phone + Broadband) Virtual Office services available also. Defo worth a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 havethecraic

I've been searching for cheap/ free (!) office space for Have the Craic and I've come across http://www.coworkinn.com/index.php through the Dun Laoghaire START network.
    Also I came across this list on the DCEB site http://www.dceb.ie/enterprise-space - not sure how current it is. But as I go through it I'll update the thread.
    If anyone else has any tips - let me know. I'm looking in city centre out to Dun Laoghaire. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 halflife2057

Hi
    I'm renting out one of our office spaces. We're a company based in Beacon Court, Sandyford Ind. Estate - about 10 mins walk from the Luas. It would suit 1. We're just looking for someone who wants to do something on a month-to-month basis - no long lease cost.
    For a flat cost of €300 per month, you'd get your rent/rates/utilities and we'd include 40mb broadband, your own dedicated phone line (with forwarding if you aren't around) and we'll also cover the cost of any outbound calls you make.
    PM me if you want a photo or two or are interested in seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have a small office empty upstairs if anyone is interested. Havent really thought about it. Just inside the m50 on the main road....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

desk space for one going very cheap in city centre, just off Merrion Sq.

PM me for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

You could try this, they say they have free hotdesks

http://www.ienetwork.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone know of anything similar around Dun Laoghaire? The OP of this post found something for about 20eur a week and is mixed in with an array of individuals from artists to architects to entrepreneurs and is quite a social and relaxed place. Something similar would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Would be interested in something similar in D2 area, or if people interested in pooling resources. pm me.
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    There's this place:

http://amworks.ie
    Actually works out more expensive than the Guinness Enterprise Centre. Some of the other options could be interesting to some set-ups, but other than that I don't really see much advantage in going there. If you've got at least one co-worker, then a small office, rather than a desk, is worth your while, btw.

Personally, I don't see much point in a shared desk, three days a week. If you're going to get an office/desk, you might as well do so full time, otherwise you really might as well just home office (especially as you can write off part of your rent/mortgage as a business expense if you do).

If all you need at first is an office address, with meeting facilities, then there's a few places around town; I used this one years ago and the postal address cost around €100 p.m. and use of the boardroom was very cheap (something like €20 for a full morning).

One piece piece of advice I would have is to check the local area and amenities. Local electronics stores, for emergency purchases, and most importantly places for lunch - there's nothing worse than day-in-day-out having only one place within striking distance where you can go for lunch as, other than being monotonous it can often be overpriced, being a monopoly. So having a bit of a local choice or, better still, the option of a canteen in the office, can make a big difference.
    Maybe go knocking on doors. Lots of businesses who have laid off staff have some empty offices and would be happy to give a start up some space if it helped cover their over heads.
    This is very true, especially during a recession, when companies are downsizing and strapped for cash. If what you do is complimentary to the business that hosts you, it'll also mean you'll likely get work from them too, and/or be able to pay for your rent by way of a contra arrangement.

If you start a thread here looking for such an arrangement, I've no doubt you'll get interested parties - indeed, some are already posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 growmyfans

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm wondering what options there are for entrepreneurs starting out who require a desk space, in Dublin?

My options are to work from home or to go to coffee shops etc. Neither are ideal and I'd like to be able to meet other start ups, and have a more formal space to work in.

I looked in to the Guinness Enterprise Centre. Their charge is 200/month for a desk in a shared office space and then they charge 40 per month on top of that for internet access :confused:

I had a look on Daft but there aren't many results. I would have thought a lot of companies would be trying to fill empty desks in their offices to cut down on some costs.

Any tips appreciated!

hi there...have you heard of the Hothouse project at DIT Aungier Street? They offer incubation space, mentoring etc etc for aspiring entrepreneurs.Check out their website...they have their email and contact details on the site...Id give them a shout because they really do provide so much support for start ups including desk/office space:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rubrum Ardens

Gekko wrote: »
    desk space for one going very cheap in city centre, just off Merrion Sq.

PM me for more info.

Hey Gekko

Is it still avilable the place? what't the cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hey Gekko

Is it still avilable the place? what't the cost?
    After two years, I'd hope not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭bceltic

There's hot desks available here now too: https://twitter.com/TCubeDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BB1971

I'm interested in a shared office space in Bray / Dun Laoghaire area from September onwards. Ideally in a creative environment but not essential. Needs to include wi/fi , phone lines, secure, 24 hour access.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

We have desks for two IT/Graphic designers, couple of hours work a week in exchange for a desk in our open plan office. City Centre location.

PM me if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pasty

I'm looking for an office space/ therapy space 2 afternoons a week in Bray Wicklow or Arklow if anyone knows of somewhere (safe and not expensive). I would not see it being used for more than 6 hours at week in all (2 pm's x 3 hours).
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hi Guys

I'm leading my own early stage social / commercial web based start-up and rather than using hotel foyers / coffee shops etc for small meetings, it'd be great to have a base in Dublin city centre for a couple of months. Probably part-time, with phone / internet and occasional meeting room access.

In return, I can offer HR and recruiting expertise, gained in a wide variety of sectors, both unionised and non-union, in various countries over a twenty year career, latterly as a consultant into blue chip multinationals. There aren't many issues / challenges I've not successfully dealt with as an HR leader and my direct recruiting skills are amongst the best.

Happy to discuss any type of arrangement. Please PM me if interested.

Cheers
    Max :)

Mod Note: other post deleted. Please dont post the same thing multiple times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 babymamma

Looking to rent shared office space [not expensive] in Cork City
    Looking for same in Galway City must have broadband /desk/chair space for filing cabinet.

Advertisement