Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&VG article - 1988

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weird that there are so many X68000 screenshots considering it was never going to make it to the west and is a bit of a holy grail machine for japanese collectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Weird that there are so many X68000 screenshots considering it was never going to make it to the west and is a bit of a holy grail machine for japanese collectors.

I actually thought that was some sort of typo in the article, or at least an old name for a console I'd heard of :pac:

checking it out it looks like 2 wii's stuck together!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's a stupidly powerful machine for it's time made by sharp. Most companies used it to develope their arcade games which is why there's so many arcade perfect ports on it. Some really good original games on it as well like Castlevania but you'll be paying though your teeth and trawling yahoo auctions japan looking for everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember reading Megatech back in 91 and oogling the MD and the MegaCD, wishing I had one and boring to tears the nurse on nights with me!
    At that stage I was surviving on my Gameboy and loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Does anyone remember the letters pages in CVG? There was one in which a mother wrote in about how video games were destroying the minds of children with violence etc. Then the follow up was """ is a pratt for about a month with letters coming in from irate readers. There was also one other unforgettable letter, "spam babies, spam babies, crawling up the walls, eating my food, spam babies!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I don't suppose anyone here is unfortunate enough to have played this game?

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/darkcastlemd.pdf

I would like to get my hands on this baby though, once I get myself a Megadrive...there's a few copies going on ebay.

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/starflightmd.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hygro wrote: »

I would like to get my hands on this baby though, once I get myself a Megadrive...there's a few copies going on ebay.

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/starflightmd.pdf
    Starflight is one of my favourite games ever , there was 2 pc games , and the meg one is a sort of combination of the 2 , with better graphics.
    I had a mates copy when i was a kid , and stalled giving it back to him as long as I could.I'd gotten to the end of the game , and couldnt work out what to do .I was literally one screen away from finishing but didnt know it.
    In the end I had to give it back (apparently he finished the saved game I had and never touched it again!).
    I've a copy of it now , plan on finishing it this year at some point.
    One thing though , you may have to replace the battery back up if you get one on ebay , they're a CR2032 , and a peice of piss to do :).

Julian Rignall who reviewed Dark Castle on the MD there regards it as the worst game ever. I have to agree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I played Dark Castle on the c64 and [puts on rose tinted spec's] thought it was pretty damn good! I had no idea that the MD version was such complete toilet.

I knew the X68000 was used to develop CPS1 games but take a look at it running SF2... If only I had a spare 3500 back in the day ;)

Dark Castle is a bit of a classic on the 8-bits, in particular Apple fans really love it. I've seen youtube videos of the apple version and it looks really good. The megadrive version is a total botch job and utter garbage.

It's a pity most collectors only look at the X68000 for the arcade perfect conversions because it has some really great exclusives. I really must get some japanese home computer emulators and track down some games for them. Read a really great article on HG101, it was featured in retrogamer but the HG101 article is greatly expanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow! Must resist urge to bid and make myself bankrupt :D

Such a cool looking computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Hygro wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone here is unfortunate enough to have played this game?

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/darkcastlemd.pdf
    Haha... I love how the reviews highlight how many lives you get in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

The Expert's not a bad X68000, at least it has 2MB of RAM. Runs almost all games, but not Super Street Fighter II. Also, connecting the machine to a VGA monitor is not as easy as the Ebay description makes out, as games run in 15, 24, or 31kHz, and it's not always easy - or even possible - to change frequency. I got one of my X68000 monitors back from repair yesterday, the guy didn't even charge me for it - he can't see why I would want these monitors at all. Anyway, if I ever did move back to Ireland, I'd definitely bring my X68000 with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

an_turtar wrote: »
    The Expert's not a bad X68000, at least it has 2MB of RAM. Runs almost all games, but not Super Street Fighter II. Also, connecting the machine to a VGA monitor is not as easy as the Ebay description makes out, as games run in 15, 24, or 31kHz, and it's not always easy - or even possible - to change frequency. I got one of my X68000 monitors back from repair yesterday, the guy didn't even charge me for it - he can't see why I would want these monitors at all. Anyway, if I ever did move back to Ireland, I'd definitely bring my X68000 with me and give it to Ronan|Raven.

how kind! :)

Master of the Universe

an_turtar wrote: »
    as games run in 15, 24, or 31kHz, and it's not always easy - or even possible - to change frequency. I got one of my X68000 monitors back from repair yesterday, the guy didn't even charge me for it - he can't see why I would want these monitors at all. Anyway, if I ever did move back to Ireland, I'd definitely bring my X68000 with me.

Sounds similar to the issue I'm currently facing trying to look for an Amiga monitor. Do scandoublers work with the X68000?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sounds similar to the issue I'm currently facing trying to look for an Amiga monitor. Do scandoublers work with the X68000?
    The X68000s use a pretty standard RGB cable (standard in Japan), I use the same monitors for my arcade games and all other consoles, even my Spectrum. In terms of scandoublers etc., I think most people use something like the XRGB-2, though you'd have to search around and ask some people. I know a guy who damaged his LCD monitor by connecting it to an X68000 though, best to stick with CRTs.

My current "project" as it were, is to connect my Atari STe to the monitor, I think it is possible, but I'm going to have to fiddle a bit. I know a guy here who was able to get his working using a standard VGA monitor and XRGB-2, though I'm hoping to connect directly to the Sharp monitor.

If you want a list of games and the video modes they start in, and can be changed to, check my list here:
    http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~debiddo/mygames.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Wouldn't call the x68000 holy grail,there was some on ebay during xmas,some missing keyboards of course,it is also notorious for dodgy psu,guide here shows how to adapt an pc psu to it,now hit that thanks button-

http://nfggames.com/nfg/x68repair/

Master of the Universe

Wouldn't call the x68000 holy grail,there was some on ebay during xmas,some missing keyboards of course,it is also notorious for dodgy psu,guide here shows how to adapt an pc psu to it,now hit that thanks button-

http://nfggames.com/nfg/x68repair/

There is no one holy grail...just many cool things to own which are hard to get :)

I must check out those ones that you were on about and see how much they sold for. I just love the look of it! :D looks like a little server or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

o1s1n wrote: »
    There is no one holy grail...just many cool things to own which are hard to get :)

I must check out those ones that you were on about and see how much they sold for. I just love the look of it! :D looks like a little server or something.

Went for average for 200 squid+shipping,problem alot where "powered up" with no monitor and that was just it,so no idea if actually worked.

• Advertisement

All of those japanese home computers seem to be the last unknown frontier for western retro collectors. Most of the games are unknown and there's no real full list of games for them.

There was an east/west collaboration between some japanese and western retro enthusiasts to collect a definitive collection of all the roms for all the japanese home computers. In japan because of weird ISP rules they had to be distributed hidden in other files like .jpg file or over irc. However someone on the western side ****ed it up for everyone when he tried to make money off it behind everyones back.

Read more on it here:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/JPNcomputers/Japanesecomputers.htm

I wouldn't buy one myself but would like emulators for the big ones with a selection of the best games.

Advertisement