Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Flue Reducer - Stove Installation

• 14-02-2011 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I am looking for a Clay flue reducer for 8" Clay Flue to 5" stove pipe. I have been looking online but finding it hard to find a decent one and prices.

I did find one on a UK website but it's £105 and that's before shipping. however it does have a shoulder on it that directs any leaking tar etc back down the stove pipe. See pic.
    clay-liner-adapter.jpg

Has anyone any suggestions or info.

thanks! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

My local builders providers has stainless steel ones for 48euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

GMPF wrote: »
    I am looking for a Clay flue reducer for 8" Clay Flue to 5" stove pipe. I have been looking online but finding it hard to find a decent one and prices.

I did find one on a UK website but it's £105 and that's before shipping. however it does have a shoulder on it that directs any leaking tar etc back down the stove pipe. See pic.
    clay-liner-adapter.jpg

Has anyone any suggestions or info.

thanks! :D

MI Flues in Meath.

Google for their website,they make stainless steel flue kits and adaptors in their factory in Meath.They also make flexi flue kits for existing chimneys and solid fuel stoves.

Ive dealt with them twice before,and they were and are very very good to deal with.They can make you anything you need or want with regards flue kits and parts.

Actually,here you go.

http://www.miflues.ie/

http://www.miflues.ie/Departments/Clay-Adaptors/Internal-Clay-Adaptor.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I feel your pain.
    You can get ordinary adaptors that won't redirect a flow of soot back into the pipe, but the one in your picture will.
    I searched all over the country for 1 of them this time last year and ended up buying 1 from the uk. It came to €125 including postage but was cheap at the price because it stopped soot froom flowing down the stone on my fireplace. My problem came about because my builder never left a soot box for my range and it had to be directly connected to the clay flue - which every manufacturer says is ok, but really isn't the best way of doing it.

Anyway, I can tell you that Miflues don't sell them, nor do oriel flues or Perrot Flues. They're strictly a UK thing. Bought mine through an ebay shop after searching on google uk for weeks.

Here's the link. They have all sizes available so you will need to contact them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-9-s-s-clay-pipe-liner-stove-adaptor-c-w-trap_W0QQitemZ220699084090QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope it helps. PM me if I can help you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GMPF

Thanks Reilig!

That is exactly what I am looking for. It only works out about €50 more than the regular adapters, so to me it is worth it to know that there is nothing seeping out. As we intend on having the chimney sealed off above the stove. So in our case it's better than having to open it back up if the worst happens.

Cheers!!

Thanks Reilig!

That is exactly what I am looking for. It only works out about €50 more than the regular adapters, so to me it is worth it to know that there is nothing seeping out. As we intend on having the chimney sealed off above the stove. So in our case it's better than having to open it back up if the worst happens.

Cheers!!

No problem, I initially had an ordinary clay flue adaptor and it leaked. My range wasn't working properly and that's what caused the chimney not to heat up properly and the wet soot to fall. This adaptor is a great peace of mind. Mine was an 8 inch to 5 inch too and they delivered it within 2 days of me ordering it.

• Advertisement

Placed my order today. Was a little worried at first as they say only UK deliveries on their site. So sent a message and was told he could post to Ireland.
    Thanks again Reilig!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

To Relig and GMPF,

I'm in this situation, i've a clay pipe chimney, and i'm looking for an adaptor. Looking at the one GMPF listed, how do you actually get it past the initial gap in the chimney, it looks to big? Does this adaptor come in a few pieces?

Also, i was on to MIFlues, they say they only deal with trade, so have to go to my local heat merchant, has anyone else had problems with their adaptors leaking (tar) etc...???

Thanks lads n' lassie's.

HI Rosco,

The reducers come is all sizes. Mine was to fit 8" clay chimney and to reduce to 5" stove pipe. The adapter slids up into the clay chimney, it then has a collar around it to direct any leaking tar back down the stove pipe. The adapter will be sealed in place with fire cememt.

Hope this helps!

HI Rosco,

The reducers come is all sizes. Mine was to fit 8" clay chimney and to reduce to 5" stove pipe. The adapter slids up into the clay chimney, it then has a collar around it to direct any leaking tar back down the stove pipe. The adapter will be sealed in place with fire cememt.

Hope this helps!

Exactly.

The adaptor also comes with 2 flexible legs which can be screwed to hold it in place

Thanks for the responses,

My problem is that i dont want to take out the fire back, as i'm in a rented house, and if i was to take out the fire back (to get the adaptor fitted into the clay flue, i'd have to take off the surround of the fireplace - i'm just not going there).

It was suggested to me that i could attach a flexi flue from the back of the stove, using a flexi flue start off adaptor, then insert the flexi flue up the clay pipe about a foot or two, fire cement it in place and go from there. I think this is my only option.

What do you think?? Stove is very similar to this one.

c0222a.jpg

Sorry couldn't get a bigger photo !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

Thanks for the responses,

My problem is that i dont want to take out the fire back, as i'm in a rented house, and if i was to take out the fire back (to get the adaptor fitted into the clay flue, i'd have to take off the surround of the fireplace - i'm just not going there).

It was suggested to me that i could attach a flexi flue from the back of the stove, using a flexi flue start off adaptor, then insert the flexi flue up the clay pipe about a foot or two, fire cement it in place and go from there. I think this is my only option.

What do you think?? Stove is very similar to this one.

Hi Rosco,
    That would not be a good idea. The reason is that the flue adapters are designed to direct any soot/debris falling down the chimney to fall into the stove to be burned off instead of having any flat-spots where soot can build up and lead to a chimney fire. Having the flexi bunged up with some insulation around it will operate the stove but is unnecessarily dangerous. The best solution would be to have the flexi flue running to the top of the chimney.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

thanks Sligo,

Ok, get your point. I understand where you're coming from. To be honest - i have a clay flue all the way up, so instead of putting the flexi a foot up the clay flue, i could, presumably, just attach the flexi to the lip of the clay flue, and fix in place? as my problem is that i don't want to take out the fire back(as i would have to take out the fire surround (rented gaff)) and the width/access of the gap is 6 inches to get to the clay flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

Rosco,
    Theres no reason to take the fireplace down to remove the fireback unless it is a cast iron back attached to the insert. If its a concrete back, a hammer and shovel will have it out in no time which will allow access to flue for adaptor. You wont get a correct seal or slope with the flexi without adaptor.

Advertisement