Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motocross mechanic

• 14-02-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Im having some trouble with my dirt bike looking for a place to bring it to get fixed meath/louth/dublin anyone know any one good at fixing them thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

What's the problem with it exactly, does it need to go to a shop for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 d125

the engine was rebuild, it cuts out after a few mins runnig kinda of bogs down and hard to start got new float for the carb. i know the problem is to do with the fuel and carb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Yeh could be. Is it two stroke or four stroke?

Anyway not trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs but have a look at the list below there maybe something you have not tried.

If 2 Stroke - However don't discount the wrong plug (too cold) was put back in when rebuilding or as you are only piddling about when running in it can get fouled pretty quickly - replace plug and try again.

Have you got the correct oil mix in?

Why did you put a new float in? Don't be offended but did you put it back in correctly? :)
    Did you check that the jets are clean and the needle valve is closing properly?

Does fuel run out of the carb overflow with engine off and fuel turned on?

Water in a carb will wreak havoc through corrosion clean any visible corrosion carefully.
    Sometimes esspecially on 2 smokes the carb gets gummed up if left lying for a while. The petrol evaporates and leaves the oil/gunk behind this can foul the valve seat so you don't get a good seal or partialy block jets.

Get a can of carb cleaner (brake cleaner no good as it doesn't have the solvents in it and don't be tempted to stick bits of wire into the jets as they are easily damaged) spray each and every hole you can see in the carb and check that the needle valve and seat is not worn. If worn you will see a ring/slight depression around the valve head it should be a little shiny but perfectly flat cone.
    Get a sandwich bag and place the carb in it spray everywhere again and tie the bag leave overnight and any sludge, gunge or dried up oil will be dissolved.
    Next morning give it another good spray into each hole. Rebuild and if necessary replace needle valve.

Also make sure your choke is fully resetting.

Also worth while removing your tank tap and giving it a good cleaning amazing the amount of crud that gets into the tank even if you are carefull when filling. While your at it get some warm soapy water and wash out your tank. Rinse well and leave near a rad (not against) to fully dry out.

Do you have an air tight seal on all Carb connections?

Have you replaced and oiled the filter?

It doesn't sound like you have done this as you wouldn't get too far and I've done this myself and felt a right idiot but have you left the wash cover on the filter housing? :D:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 d125

its a two stroke, have tryed a new plug same as the manual says in it and got the good oil and using the mix the manual has in it. Was think the float was getting stuck causing it to bog down so got a new one, i will try and wash out the tank and use carb cleaner on the carb. I have not oiled the filter

Advertisement