Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking things you usually fry, e.g. mince & rashers

Options
  • 14-02-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I got some cheapo high fat (28%) mince in tesco, it is really thick strands and not packed together so they break apart easily. I put the oven on as high as it goes and put it on a baking tray all spread out, was cooked in about 7mins. I love the burnt sticky ends of roast beef and this was similar to it.

I had tossed it in some cornflour mixed with garlic powder and chilli powder so it had a sort of crust.

I have also spread out rashers on baking trays before and they came out very well, really crispy, I can never get it like that frying or grilling.

Anybody else bake stuff which is usually fried/grilled? or any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I always bake pudding and rashers and things for a 'fry'.
    It means I can bung everything in the oven and go back to cowering from my hangover on the couch. :pac:

It's always really tasty, the pudding ends up with the perfect crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside finish that I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fried rashers = vom. I don't know how anyone eats them fried.

Have baked eggs in ramekins with a touch of cream, butter and chili, but that's about all I can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

+1 on the baked eggs, absolutely love them!
    wouldn't really fry rashers myself, too much fluid comes out and they go all chewy....
    can't think of much else i would bake rather than fry....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

reallyrose wrote: »
    I always bake pudding and rashers and things for a 'fry'.

I go further than that. I put the sausages in the oven, on a rack over a baking tray, so that the fat drips into the tin leaving the sausages much less greasy. Then, bit by bit, I add the pudding, rashers, tomatoes and mushrooms to the rack as well. The mushrooms will be anointed with a little oil.

I often cook the eggs in the oven like Honey-ec.

So an entire breakfast for three comes out of the oven, and I've got rid of a lot of the fat in the process. Timing everything is less critical than using the grill or frying-pan as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What exactly do you do to bake eggs? I like the sound of that. At what temp do you add them in, and do you beat them or not? How long do you leave them in?

Ideally I like my eggs any way as long as the white is solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

What exactly do you do to bake eggs? I like the sound of that. At what temp do you add them in, and do you beat them or not? How long do you leave them in?

Ideally I like my eggs any way as long as the white is solid.

I used to do a thing of putting whatever mixture of things i fancied in the bottom of a ramekin and then crack the egg on top, making sure the base is solid enough for the egg to sit on, bang it in 180 till its done. I put them in a tray with boiling water coming up a bit but don't know if that's really necessary.

Have also greased muffin trays and lined with bacon and then cracked an egg into that, lovely.

Crack each egg gently into a ramekin, add a small knob of butter and a drop of cream (neither is essential, but they do taste nice!) a little salt and pepper. Put the ramekins into a baking tray half full of hot water and put the whole lot into an oven around 180 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes. It's impossible to be much more precise because of the variation of size of eggs.

I find that a flexible rubber spatula lifts them out of the ramekin without any difficulty at all - they don't always drop out.

Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nompere wrote: »
    I put the sausages in the oven
    Sausages do very well, my mother always did big trays of cocktail sausages in the oven. It allows you fit far more than into a frying pan, and you do not have to bother turning loads of sausages, maybe give them a shake halfway through. Many people hate the sight of white bits on sausages and baking them makes them very evenly brown all over, like deep fried ones.

I expect eggs might be OK in those silicone muffin trays -just don't try "boiling" eggs in the oven!

Looks like instead of a sunday morning fry it will be a "morning bake" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I always bake my bacon.. I hate fried bacon where the fat is still soft!
    I tend not to fry anything I cook, thankfully. I love baked sausages too. I'm really paranoid about under cooking them and poisoning myself so I bake them first for 20 minutes and then finish them under the grill for a little bit of colour! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I always bake my "fry" too - along with big portobello mushrooms which go lovely and juicy. I put the sausages on a wire rack too!!!

I also cook burgers on a wire rack in the oven ever since I did it once and saw how much fat oozed out of them into the tray. Couldn't go back to frying them in their own fat.

I'm also a fan of baked eggs.

dsc06059k.jpg

• Advertisement

Thinking on mushrooms a little more, one of the great breakfasts (or lunch or supper) requires a really big mushroom, seasoned with salt, pepper and some herbs (the ones in the plastic tubes are perfect for this) and sprinkled with a little olive oil, and left in an oven at about 120 or 130 degrees for about 45 minutes or so.

Split a soft floury bap, and put the mushroom between the two halves.

That's it - eat and enjoy. The olive oil, herbs and mushroomy juices will soak into the bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

It's good to see that we are all closet baking-friers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Depends on quantity - if I'm making a fry for about 20 people, I just lash it in the oven. SO much easier. Or making Grostl for more than 2-3 people, I just make it in a huge dish in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rashers and sausages in the oven? Pigs in blankets - very popular Sunday morning in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

reallyrose wrote: »
    It's good to see that we are all closet baking-friers!
    I'm not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

olaola wrote: »
    Depends on quantity - if I'm making a fry for about 20 people, I just lash it in the oven. SO much easier. Or making Grostl for more than 2-3 people, I just make it in a huge dish in the oven.

What's Grostl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

boosh_fan wrote: »
    What's Grostl?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiroler_Gr%C3%B6stl

A skiing staple - fried spuds, with bacon with an egg on top. Usually served in a skillet.

Advertisement